Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Swindler/Big Money vs Weird Procession tricks  (Read 1526 times)

ravi

• Bishop
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
Swindler/Big Money vs Weird Procession tricks
« on: February 10, 2016, 10:08:55 am »
+2

Supply: Embargo, Develop, Masterpiece, Swindler, Procession, Scavenger, Catacombs, Counterfeit, Graverobber, Saboteur, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse

Log: http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?http://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160209/log.0.1455055382878.txt

No villages, no + action even, but there was Procession, Graverobber and Develop, which can all do some really weird tricks.

I went Swindler big money and thought that what my opponent was doing was really random and unfocussed but it did surprisingly okay against what I had. They used Procession, Graverobbers, Rogues and Sabs to attack my deck and I thought that would never work.  I did end up winning but it was much closer than I thought and maybe there is a better strategy on this board than just Swindler + Big Money with Counterfeit trashing.

PS, Late game I bought Gold on 6 and 7 sometimes and was thinking about buying an overpaid masterpiece instead but thought that getting my Swindlers to hit was more advantageous.  In the end I converted a couple of his Curses into Coppers with Swindler but I am pretty sure the likelihood of that happening was pretty low.

Anyways, what are your thoughts on this board and how my opponent and I played it?

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Swindler/Big Money vs Weird Procession tricks
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 10:59:11 am »
+4

As a big money deck I think you can play this with only two counterfeits, two swindlers, and possibly add a catacombs. I'm not sure why you swindled one of your opponent's estates into a embargo. Masterpiece isn't good at 5, 6, or 7 coins here.

Your opponent had found this nice procession-scavenger thing, setting up the next turn with another procession hand. He never turned it into a procession-procession-catacomb combo that gains back the processions and catacombs. He could have had more joy with graverobbers. The main limiter on this deck is the trashing of the starting cards and swindled junk since the harder you try to clean up your deck, the more effective your opponent's swindles become.

ravi

• Bishop
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 11:10:43 am »

I'm not sure why you swindled one of your opponent's estates into a embargo.

I think at that point I didn't quite get what my opponent was doing and I thought he had too many terminals so I thought putting an embargo in there would be pretty much a dead card for him and then he would have one less point.

As a big money deck I think you can play this with only two counterfeits, two swindlers, and possibly add a catacombs.

Hmm. So you think I should have bought silver over swindler 3? I don't think there was much swindler collision but I never thought about a catacombs so that would have changed that up.

You said a lot of positive and negative things about his deck. Do you think something could have been played to beat the big money strategy though?

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 10:17:41 am »
+2

Whenever you are keeping your deck size down with a counterfeit or similar card you need to be aware that the deck isn't big enough to support multiple terminals. Often with swindlers there is the possibility of the opponent swindling your treasures into unplayable actions, so you don't want to be making that worse.

Maybe if played at the very top level the engine might work but I suspect that it needs too much (different) stuff to get started and consumes too much stuff as it goes along. For instance it would need develop, but at a perfect time, and when compared to the game you played the develop will slow the deck down before it speeds up.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 20 queries.