Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Mining in a Colony Game: Don't Buy Silver?  (Read 2491 times)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
Mining in a Colony Game: Don't Buy Silver?
« on: January 17, 2012, 08:57:26 am »

Consider these cards in supply: Adventurer, Bishop, Cache, Colony, Cutpurse, Forge, Herbalist, Lighthouse, Lookout, Mine, Platinum, and Remake

I was lucky enough to open 5/2. My opponent opened 4/3 and went with Remake/Silver.
I like Mine a great deal better in Colony games than I do in Province games and as is the same with any trasher: the sooner you buy them, the better. So I went ahead and took that Mine for $5 along with a Lighthouse for some extra initial cash.

Now the weirdness begins: I actually skipped a lot of Silver buys (coins <= $5) since I did not want extra Silvers. I just wanted to Mine as many Golds to Platinums as I could and for that I wanted my few treasures to clump together. I bought a Lookout to deal with Estates and leftover Coppers. I wonder if it was the right call to just skip Silver or if I would've been better off adding more than just the one Silver that I did buy.

I had thought about taking the Adventurer, but I already had Mine, a dense deck and an extra Mine for increased..... well... Mining!
Bishop also crossed my mind as a possible late buy, but it felt unnecessary to me, I just didn't want extra terminals with those two Mines already in there. I also doubt whether I needed the extra Mine since late game a Mine is no better than a Copper (if you Mine Copper or Silver one up) or Silver (if you Mine a Gold to a Platinum).

This would've been a nice one for the (Geronimoo's) simulator perhaps, but I can't configure it so it doesn't buy Silvers (or just 1), just Mine them out of Coppers. It will only Mine a treasure into something it would also buy. If I put for instance the fake rule "Buy Silver if #Silvers > 99" it never Mines into nor buys Silvers.

How would you have played this kingdom, opening 5/2 vs 4/3 Remake?

Here's the game log: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/17/game-20120117-053441-a7de5510.html

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: Mining in a Colony Game: Don't Buy Silver?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 09:14:38 am »

Consider these cards in supply: Adventurer, Bishop, Cache, Colony, Cutpurse, Forge, Herbalist, Lighthouse, Lookout, Mine, Platinum, and Remake

I was lucky enough to open 5/2. My opponent opened 4/3 and went with Remake/Silver.
I like Mine a great deal better in Colony games than I do in Province games and as is the same with any trasher: the sooner you buy them, the better. So I went ahead and took that Mine for $5 along with a Lighthouse for some extra initial cash.

Now the weirdness begins: I actually skipped a lot of Silver buys (coins <= $5) since I did not want extra Silvers. I just wanted to Mine as many Golds to Platinums as I could and for that I wanted my few treasures to clump together. I bought a Lookout to deal with Estates and leftover Coppers. I wonder if it was the right call to just skip Silver or if I would've been better off adding more than just the one Silver that I did buy.

I had thought about taking the Adventurer, but I already had Mine, a dense deck and an extra Mine for increased..... well... Mining!
Bishop also crossed my mind as a possible late buy, but it felt unnecessary to me, I just didn't want extra terminals with those two Mines already in there. I also doubt whether I needed the extra Mine since late game a Mine is no better than a Copper (if you Mine Copper or Silver one up) or Silver (if you Mine a Gold to a Platinum).

This would've been a nice one for the (Geronimoo's) simulator perhaps, but I can't configure it so it doesn't buy Silvers (or just 1), just Mine them out of Coppers. It will only Mine a treasure into something it would also buy. If I put for instance the fake rule "Buy Silver if #Silvers > 99" it never Mines into nor buys Silvers.

How would you have played this kingdom, opening 5/2 vs 4/3 Remake?

Here's the game log: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/17/game-20120117-053441-a7de5510.html

If you don't want the simulator to buy silver, but do want it to mine it, have a condition on your silver buy rule that's 'if in action phase = 1'.
My initial gut is that you do want more silvers bought and you don't want the second mine, and eventually if you get $4 or $5 you do want bishop. But I'm not entirely sure.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 12:57:03 pm »

I also think that later in the game, once you've built up higher value treasures and as you start to go green, Adventurer can be a great addition to your deck, probably worth $5-8. However, Bishop would be a nice addition too, and I probably wouldn't get both of them.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 03:11:15 pm »

I don't agree with the idea that adding a Bishop would be bad because it would just add another terminal... because the Bishop should be used to trash one or more of those other terminals for VP!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 04:52:16 pm »

Mine has a bug in the simulator where it will Mine a Mine in an all-Platinum hand... (won't come up often, but still a bug)

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 08:48:39 pm »

I don't agree with the idea that adding a Bishop would be bad because it would just add another terminal... because the Bishop should be used to trash one or more of those other terminals for VP!
Bishop is rarely, if ever, a good idea in a Colony game. You're giving up a card and your terminal Action for 1-2 VP a pop, which just isn't going to win you a Colony game. Meanwhile, your opponent is getting slightly better trashing out of it, and building up to Colonies. You're going to lose a lot of games by scores like 50-42 when your opponent easily gets to 5 Colonies.

Anon79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 09:08:02 pm »

Slightly better trashing? But opponent opened Remake!

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 09:51:09 pm »

Bishop is rarely, if ever, a good idea in a Colony game. You're giving up a card and your terminal Action for 1-2 VP a pop, which just isn't going to win you a Colony game. Meanwhile, your opponent is getting slightly better trashing out of it, and building up to Colonies. You're going to lose a lot of games by scores like 50-42 when your opponent easily gets to 5 Colonies.
Funny, I find that bishop is better in colony games than province games....
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.