Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: S12 Champion Match: Saturday 13-2, 16:00 UTC, commented by Donald X.  (Read 19968 times)

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +807
    • View Profile
Re: S12 Champion Match: Saturday 13-2, 16:00 UTC, commented by Donald X.
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2016, 10:19:57 am »
+2

I'd appreciate it if someone can save the chat for this, it's been nice to read the chat for previous Champion's matches while watching the videos.

Good idea, I'll be logging the chat.
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +807
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2016, 02:24:16 pm »
+4

Chat log file attached
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2016, 02:39:50 pm »
+3

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2016, 05:27:42 pm »
+21

For those of you who weren't there, my report.

Going in Stef needed just one and a fraction wins. SCSN and I talked about the sets the day beforehand, so we'd have some idea what we were looking at.

1. Fool's Gold, Vagrant, Lookout, Wandering Minstrel, Contraband, Count, Cultist, Governor, Laboratory, Hoard (schadd)

The initial question was how they would open; you can go Silver/Silver to increase your chance of getting Cultists turns 3-4, or Lookout/Lookout to go all-out for trashing, or you can split the difference, unwilling to give up on either Lookout or turn 3 Cultist. They got Silver/Silver vs. Lookout/Silver, but they both got Cultist turn 3. They played fast and there was stuff to figure out about doing the commentary, trying to see both games and the chat, and then suddenly Mic was conceding.

2:Vineyard, Crossroads, Vagrant, Scrying Pool, Warehouse, Mining Village, Scavenger, Contraband, Explorer, Hunting Party (xyz123)

We were pretty sure they would both go for Scrying Pool and they both did. Stef opened Potion/Vagrant with 5/2. The cards were a mad flurry on the screen, in part I guess due to the teamviewer software not keeping up, but then they got into playing Contraband and the screen would quiet down as someone puzzled over what to name. That gave me time to go through the cards and say things about them. Probably it was all stories everyone had already heard. After this I thought I would do it every time but I didn't, other stuff came up to talk about.

There were some surprising Contraband choices I think. Contraband was really the only interesting part, for me as a spectator. Otherwise, they had Scrying Pools and did that stuff. I think there was a turn where SCSN thought Stef should have played Warehouse before Crossroads. Mic won.

3: Courtyard, Native Village (Bane), Apothecary, Menagerie, Alchemist, Worker's Village, Young Witch, Embassy, HP, Mandarin, GM (Titandrake)

They both got Native Village to eat a few cards forever via Apothecary or Courtyard setting it up. And they got Young Witches and handed out all the Curses. I thought they wouldn't even touch Menagerie, normally a powerhouse, because there was so much card-drawing and they were going to have Coppers. But they both got it, so there. Testimony to the power of Menagerie. Stef went for Golds to buy Grand Market, but then Mic went for Province and Stef didn't get a 2nd Grand Market, there was no time. For that one turn in there I thought Stef's Grand Markets would win, that he would catch up, though I don't know if I would have spent the time going for them myself. But no. Mic won again, keeping things exciting.

4:Duchess, Fishing Village, Woodcutter, Conspirator, Silk Road, Spice Merchant, Trader, Cache, Ill-Gotten Gains, Jester (WW)

When SCSN and I talked about the sets beforehand, he felt he'd go for Conspirator, while I thought no, Conspirator was too hard to make work here, and it would just be, Trader an IGG for 5 Silvers. Neither of them got Conspirator so there. And at least a Jester and a Gold were Trader'd. They pulled off the buy Cache, reveal Trader at the correct two times combo. I forget most of the details but Mic won.

5: Storeroom, Watchtower, Wishing Well, Caravan, Gardens, Salvager, Wandering Minstrel, Haggler, Saboteur, Treasury (WW)

They both opened Salvager, then loaded up on Hagglers, emptying the Wandering Minstrels. There was the Wishing Well / Wandering Minstrel combo, I hadn't noticed that going in. Finally there was a turn where Mic could empty piles while getting ahead. This is another one where we talked about other stuff some, because, what was there to say.

6: Stonemason, Develop, Masterpiece, Bishop, Sea Hag, Ghost Ship, Mandarin, Mine, Rabble, King's Court (schadd)

So, it all came down to this. A crazy Develop game. After opening Develop / Sea Hag, Stef went for the Develop deck, but in a big twist Mic hit $7 and bought Masterpiece. He got more of them and started buying Provinces. Stef meanwhile was passing up Develop opportunities; he drew Develop / Ghost Ship and played Ghost Ship, then Develop / Rabble and played Develop on Estate. I felt like, isn't the plan to Develop Gold into KC / Rabble, don't you Develop those other cards to get there? He didn't though. Mic said afterwards he felt like he blew it by continuing to buy Provinces rather than emptying piles; Curse was of course empty, he emptied Silver, and Stonemason is good at emptying itself or something else. But he kept buying Provinces and Stef finally got his big turn, KC KC Ghost Ship followed by a million other things, culminating in emptying three piles while taking the lead.

Congrats Stef! And thanks, set-of-10 submitters. And people who organized this and SCSN.

Stef's computer did not crash, so we didn't need the extra sets, which were:

B1: Transmute, Moat, Pawn, Stonemason, Gardens, Monument, Remake, Duke, Haggler, Stash (WW)
B2. Embargo, Develop, Hermit, Village, Workshop, Fortress, Smithy, Spy, Baker, Graverobber (JW)

I was looking forward to that Develop / Fortress game. Well we did get a Develop game and it was the highlight too.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2016, 05:55:51 pm »
+5

It was a pleasure Donald, and I too was looking forward to that Develop-Fortress game. It's a shame that the one time you rely on Stef's client being unreliable it outwits you and holds its own.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2016, 06:08:30 pm »

I caught just the tail end of this, I think the final 2 matches.  Cool setup, and was entertaining commentary!  I'm looking forward to a similar format being broadcast live on ESPN sometime soon.

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2016, 06:01:18 am »

I just watched a replay and I would like to thank Donald for taking the time to do this. The commentary was very enjoyable. Thanks also to SCSN and anyone else who has been involved in organising this event.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2016, 11:00:54 am »
+6

Here is the match from my perspective:

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2016, 02:52:25 pm »

I forgot I submitted a kingdom until I watched the replay, so I was very confused to hear my name called out. Well, glad it showed up in the final match.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2016, 03:07:44 pm »
+13

I watched the video of Donald and SCSN, thanks for doing that. And thanks for removing the voice knowledge asymmetry, Donald, I felt it was a real barrier in our relationship.

Here are some thoughts on the games, some of them prompted by discussion in the twitch chat and the spoken commentary.

Game 1
I get buried in Ruins immediately, I'm not pleased with all my buys and maybe triggering the reshuffle on turn 6 is wrong. It looks hopeless so fast here.

Game 2
Stef drawing that 1P hand is a big deal, as winning the SP split lets me consistently topdeck 2-3 SPs or HPs. I mess up setting up the next turn once or twice I think, but am always putting at least 1 nice thing back. The Scavenger bug (displaying opponent's whole discard when they play it) means a lot of the Contraband choices were made with perfect information. But really, they are getting two things they want in all cases anyway. I decide to block Provinces and stick with it, in some cases you'll end the game before Vineyards are even worth 6. Not sure it mattered much which source of VP you went for, my deck was just a little more consistent. Some people in the chat wanted me to name Vineyard to Stef's turn 22 Contraband, but that would let him Province + action for a tie and I lose the match immediately.

Game 3
Nice one for Native Village tricks. I felt pretty far behind in the middle, but then had a couple of really nice turns to clean up and decided I would try to double Province with mostly Coppers for fun. Everyone in chat and the commentators wanted me to double Province on turn 18, but if Stef draws the deck next turn that loses to triple Duchy + Province. He had $23 in his deck, so triple Duchy + Province was possible. I have incredible luck with my starting hands at the end of the game, activating Menageries a couple times with 10 Coppers in the deck.

Game 4
Lots of luck for me here. I get Silver off all his Jester plays, line up Estates with Trader. Have Woodcutter + Trader for a Cache + 3 Silver turn. I loved this game. Conspirator engine looks terrible SCSN!

Game 5
No complaints on my draws. It all comes together fast for both of us, hey only 11 turns. I took 1 too many Wishing Wells on turn 10, but fortunately Stef didn't draw enough to beat me and I snuck it out the next turn. I liked both of WW's submitted boards a lot.

Game 6
I did botch this one up. Probably by not going for the KC thing. But the way the draws worked out, I'm sure I could have emptied either Rabble + Stonemason or Rabble + Silver if I had thought ahead a bit more early on and stopped buying Province after I had a couple. Hurts to lose it after coming so close to the comeback, but of course a very nice finish from Stef.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 03:12:09 pm by Mic Qsenoch »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2016, 03:57:25 pm »
+3

Everyone in chat and the commentators wanted me to double Province on turn 18, but if Stef draws the deck next turn that loses to triple Duchy + Province. He had $23 in his deck, so triple Duchy + Province was possible.
Yeah we wondered why you didn't double Province, and then there in your video you're doing the math and it all adds up. That's why you're the master.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2016, 07:38:47 am »
+17

Here is the match from my perspective:

Have a look at 58:50. My in-game point counter claims I have 38 points. Then Mic ends the game, and *surprise* I end the game with 45 points.
The reason for this? The client is counting scavangers for Vineyards, but I was foolish enough to buy scavengers
Join the Dominion League!

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2016, 02:38:10 pm »
+2

Does the Twitch Highlight stay around forever? If not, can someone export it to Youtube to preserve it indefinitely?

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2016, 02:49:12 pm »

Does the Twitch Highlight stay around forever? If not, can someone export it to Youtube to preserve it indefinitely?
I think highlights stay forever. Previous Broadcasts stay for a week.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2016, 07:55:49 am »
+4

Here is the Youtube link as requested.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 22 queries.