Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Hearthstone Noob  (Read 34277 times)

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
Re: Hearthstone Noob
« Reply #100 on: March 02, 2016, 01:26:42 am »

EDIT: And won my first two games with this deck :)
EDIT2: Then on my 3rd and 4th wins (not right after the first two, but oh well), I finished him off with Nightblade's battlecry.

Good job!  If you're looking for cards to replace in future, start with Shield Block and Antique Healbot as they're off theme.  You want to be doing lots of damage to your opponent to kill them as quickly as possible, and both of these cards slow you right down to heal instead.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 02, 2016, 01:37:00 am »

EDIT2: Then on my 3rd and 4th wins (not right after the first two, but oh well), I finished him off with Nightblade's battlecry.

Good job!  If you're looking for cards to replace in future, start with Shield Block and Antique Healbot as they're off theme.  You want to be doing lots of damage to your opponent to kill them as quickly as possible, and both of these cards slow you right down to heal instead.
Seems like healing would be more important when I'm using weapons?

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 02, 2016, 02:17:54 am »
+1

Your goal with a face deck is to kill them before they kill you.  If the game runs for a long time you're likely to lose anyway, as the fast aggressive minions tend not to be as good value as the slower midrange minions your opponents might be playing.  Healing is "not losing", and a Face Warrior loses eventually (if the game lasts long enough), so you want to play to win, rather than to not lose.

Do you often find the healing important?  If so then keep going with it.  If you find you'd rather have some additional reach to finish your opponent, try replacing the slower cards first.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 02, 2016, 11:21:56 am »
+2

Your goal with a face deck is to kill them before they kill you.  If the game runs for a long time you're likely to lose anyway, as the fast aggressive minions tend not to be as good value as the slower midrange minions your opponents might be playing.  Healing is "not losing", and a Face Warrior loses eventually (if the game lasts long enough), so you want to play to win, rather than to not lose.

Do you often find the healing important?  If so then keep going with it.  If you find you'd rather have some additional reach to finish your opponent, try replacing the slower cards first.

I think at this point it is best to carefully observe the performance of your deck each game and note which cards help you win the most. For example, when it comes to healing ask yourself "Did I win this game because I was able to heal?". The answer to that question will depend on the deck.

Of course when you're starting out, your card pool is limited so it may be best to use the most playable cards you have.

In your specific deck, I'd say try to rely on taunt minions to keep your health up for the most part. Sunwalker and Sen'jin are good taunts and you've included them so that's good.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 02, 2016, 12:14:16 pm »

You need to learn/determine one big thing: what's my game plan?

First you need to determine who's the beatdown and who's control. In most cases, you're the beatdown: you are the faster deck and need to close the game quickly. Unless against other hyper aggro decks like Aggro Shaman you might be the control. And I'd say usually only if he gets a fast start with Troggs, as usually he is mostly burn and you are mostly creatures.
Than, you need to know how you win.  Most of the time, you win by attacking face each turn, only killing minions when they are a threat that can reduce more of the damage output in upcoming turn than you lose by killing them. You usually clear them with weapons as that loses you momentum/overall damage. In rare cases, against a another fast deck, it will be a race to deal 30 damage so you might need to recognize when you are losing the race and start contending the board.

Now, Healbot doesn't help you with your main plan at all. When you cast it, you used 5 of your mana for subpar body and you get yourself.. what? Some health back? Does it really matter? You are pressuring your opponent, your shouldn't be under the pressure yourself, you are not really advancing your game plan. What you are doing is applying less pressure, and giving them additional turn, which might be enough to stabilize. If you played a charger for those 5 mana instead, you'd be going in the right direction.
It does help you with the race, true. But a charger would help with the race as well. There are some nieche matchups where it actually does matter (Druid perhaps) but overall it does not give you what your deck needs, either.

sig

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 02, 2016, 04:01:25 pm »
+1

I just started playing Hearthstone again now that the Whisper of the Old Gods was released. I was never any good at it so thanks for all the advice! I've learnt a lot by reading through this thread.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 22, 2016, 02:42:58 am »
+2

So I decide to buy one last Grant Tounament pack before focussing on buying classic or newer expansions. Then I open Nexus Champion Saraad.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 22, 2016, 04:18:02 pm »
+1

So I decide to buy one last Grant Tounament pack before focussing on buying classic or newer expansions. Then I open Nexus Champion Saraad.

Nexus Champion Saraad might become even better with that new upcoming Priest Legendary which makes your hero power cost (0) (if you have no duplicates in deck). Same for Confessor Paletress.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 22, 2016, 04:34:20 pm »

Nexus Champion Saraad might become even better with that new upcoming Priest Legendary which makes your hero power cost (0) (if you have no duplicates in deck). Same for Confessor Paletress.

In Wild, you mean? Doesn't TGT rotate out with the next expansion or the next one in 2017?
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.