Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Hearthstone Noob  (Read 34288 times)

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
Re: Hearthstone Noob
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2016, 07:09:05 am »

Why is there such a short time limit for turns?  At least twice I ran out of time with more things I would've done.

EDIT: Just played a game that was a little too close. We kept trading minions while not doing each other much damage until I ran out of cards and my opponent had about 6 left (I had played a nourish at some point for +3 cards and another drawing card or two). We both had about nine hit points left, but my opponent had a few more minions to play. My very last card was a gnomish inventor. I resigned.

90 seconds is quite enough.
 I think it could be improved by not end the turn if you are doing stuff, but that mainly concerns really convulsed Constructed decks that need to do a very big amount of actions each turn, like Old Patron or Exodia Mage.

Situation that you described is something that you actually can and need to recognize, and if you don't have enough reach or some huge impact minions, say - screw trading and go for tempo / face.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2016, 11:48:02 am »

Why is there such a short time limit for turns?  At least twice I ran out of time with more things I would've done.

EDIT: Just played a game that was a little too close. We kept trading minions while not doing each other much damage until I ran out of cards and my opponent had about 6 left (I had played a nourish at some point for +3 cards and another drawing card or two). We both had about nine hit points left, but my opponent had a few more minions to play. My very last card was a gnomish inventor. I resigned.

I remember when I first started playing Isotropic Innovation, I would actually read the card effects and think for so long that my opponent would be prompted to kick me out of the game for inactivity. I'm not sure how long you have to be inactive to have that happen but it's at least a few minutes or something.

Some decks really really require the time to think through turns, but otherwise you just need practice so that you can analyze situations more quickly.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2016, 01:41:13 pm »

I remember when I first started playing Isotropic Innovation, I would actually read the card effects and think for so long that my opponent would be prompted to kick me out of the game for inactivity. I'm not sure how long you have to be inactive to have that happen but it's at least a few minutes or something.

Some decks really really require the time to think through turns, but otherwise you just need practice so that you can analyze situations more quickly.

Well, the basic cards in Hearthstone are very simple and even the hardest cards to play in the whole game have very little text, which is one thing I like about the game. Reading card texts shouldn't require you much time but rather deciding which cards to use in which order. It's very important not to let the sudden appearance of the burning fuse dissuade you from careful thinking. You still have about 15 seconds left so finish your thoughts and don't make any rash decisions.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2016, 02:05:37 pm »

Yeah, the rope even waits at its lowest point for 2 seconds or so, so you have more time than the rope indicates.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2016, 11:58:47 pm »

Question - how do you get 7 of the same Legendary minion on the board?  I've seen it in a few YouTube videos.  I understand how Faceless Manipulator can get you three on the board, but how do you get 7?  Outside of Mage's Echo of Medivh and Duplicate, that is.  Because I've seen this with other classes.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2016, 12:10:24 am »

Question - how do you get 7 of the same Legendary minion on the board?  I've seen it in a few YouTube videos.  I understand how Faceless Manipulator can get you three on the board, but how do you get 7?  Outside of Mage's Echo of Medivh and Duplicate, that is.  Because I've seen this with other classes.

I'm not sure of the specific setup people use, but here's one for Priest.

- Play Legendary
- Kill Legendary, having it be the only minion killed for that player.
- Drop Lorewalker Cho and play Resurrect.
- Now both players play Resurrect back and forth until the board is full.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2016, 03:28:22 am »

I'm not sure of the specific setup people use, but here's one for Priest.

- Play Legendary
- Kill Legendary, having it be the only minion killed for that player.
- Drop Lorewalker Cho and play Resurrect.
- Now both players play Resurrect back and forth until the board is full.

You could also KT up to 6 then Faceless the 7th.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2016, 05:39:17 am »

Other classes can also have Mage's Echo of Medivh and Duplicate in certain circumstances (for example, with Saraad).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2016, 12:09:02 am »

Another 0-3 trip to the arena (with a rogue). yuk. The good news is, I still got a pack of cards and 25 gold.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2016, 12:21:58 am »
+1

Another 0-3 trip to the arena (with a rogue). yuk. The good news is, I still got a pack of cards and 25 gold.

At least an Arena run always gives you a pack. Getting 25 gold on a 0-3 doesn't seem too bad actually. Plus, the experience is valuable too.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2016, 12:50:07 am »
+1

At least an Arena run always gives you a pack. Getting 25 gold on a 0-3 doesn't seem too bad actually. Plus, the experience is valuable too.

I'd rather it cost 50gp and not give a pack to be honest.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2016, 01:03:15 am »

Huh, I never considered that option. I'd totally be down to play that since it means you get to play more Arena.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2016, 01:17:10 am »

I like getting a pack when I play arena. It's good how it is.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2016, 01:33:31 am »

Packs cost 100gp. arena costs 150gp. So you cuold still just buy the pack for the same cost. This would just let people play more arena. Potentially getting more gold of course, but right now it just makes bad arena players wait more time before playing arena again.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2016, 01:44:40 am »

Packs cost 100gp. arena costs 150gp. So you cuold still just buy the pack for the same cost. This would just let people play more arena. Potentially getting more gold of course, but right now it just makes bad arena players wait more time before playing arena again.

Rationally, that's how it would work, but I suspect throwing in 50 gp and getting back less gold feels a lot worse than throwing in 150 gp and getting back at least a pack. That way, at the end of every arena run you get the player to see what cards they got this time (and to tempt them into buying more packs right now...)
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2016, 02:31:59 am »
+1

I just got a reward for winning my 100th game in play mode. It's says it's a Hearthstone card mount and that I need to log into Heroes of the STorm to claim it. What's Heroes of the Storm? And what does this card mount do?  Is this another completely pointless reward like those golden basic cards?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2016, 02:36:15 am »
+1

I just got a reward for winning my 100th game in play mode. It's says it's a Hearthstone card mount and that I need to log into Heroes of the STorm to claim it. What's Heroes of the Storm? And what does this card mount do?  Is this another completely pointless reward like those golden basic cards?

Heroes of the Storm is an Aeon of Strife style online RTS by Blizzard. The mount doesn't actually do anything mechanics-wise, it just looks cool.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2016, 04:52:58 am »
+1

It's a pointless cosmetic reward for a different game.  You can safely ignore it.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 27, 2016, 09:55:59 am »

I actually believe that mount is about tricking HotS players into becoming Hearthstone addicts rather than tricking Hearthstone players into trying out HotS (and probably spending less money on it in the way they interact with it)

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 27, 2016, 12:35:39 pm »

You have it the other way around too (if you get to X level in HotS, you get a HotS cardback).

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2016, 01:53:59 am »

Got a daily quest today for 3 wins with a warrior and discovered it is really hard to win with a warrior (at least without other cards that I don't have yet).

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2016, 08:11:14 am »

Got a daily quest today for 3 wins with a warrior and discovered it is really hard to win with a warrior (at least without other cards that I don't have yet).

Yeah, basic Warrior is not great. Put in weapons, and use them to clear minions. Warrior uses health as a resource. So 2 Firey War Axe, 2 Arcanite Reaper.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2016, 10:22:32 am »
+1

Yeah, basic Warrior is not great. Put in weapons, and use them to clear minions. Warrior uses health as a resource. So 2 Firey War Axe, 2 Arcanite Reaper.

You can put together a pretty cheap SMORC warrior with basic and classic cards.  Fiery War Axe, Arcanite Reaper, Kor'kron Elite, Heroic Strike, Wolfrider.  Fill in  with other Charge minions, replacing them with, if you have them: Leper Gnome, Abusive Sergeant, Death's Bite (probably a stretch).  The goal with this kind of deck is to just ignore your opponent's minions and hit face as often as possible.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2016, 04:34:16 pm »

You can put together a pretty cheap SMORC warrior with basic and classic cards.  Fiery War Axe, Arcanite Reaper, Kor'kron Elite, Heroic Strike, Wolfrider.  Fill in  with other Charge minions, replacing them with, if you have them: Leper Gnome, Abusive Sergeant, Death's Bite (probably a stretch).  The goal with this kind of deck is to just ignore your opponent's minions and hit face as often as possible.

This is very correct.  Here's my face warrior:

2x Upgrade
Abusive Sergeant
2x Leper Gnome
Sir Finley
2x Fiery War Axe
2x Heroic Strike
2x Bloodsail Raider
Cruel Taskmaster
2x Ironbeak Owl
2x Loot Hoarder
Bash
2x Arcane Golem
2x Wolfrider
2x Death's Bite
Mortal Strike
2x Dread Corsair
2x Kor'kron Elite
Leeroy Jenkins

I think Upgrade, Sir Finley, Bash, Arcane Golem, Death's Bite, and Leeroy are the only non-common, non-base/classic cards in there.  That's 9 cards, easily replaced with another Abusive Sergeant, another Cruel Taskmaster, Arcanite Reapers, Southsea Deckhands, Bluegill Warriors, and Reckless Rocketeers.

They aren't the best cards, but they'll work.  If you have any random rares you've opened that fit this mold (Armored Warhorse, Argent Commander, etc.) you could use those.

Or you could add a few removal or draw cards if you wanted, like Shield Block, Cult Master, Acolyte of Pain, Slam, Cleave...
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2016, 08:43:06 pm »

I get another chance to improve my warrior today (today's quest is rogue or warrior). So I started with the cards Werothegreat suggested and added a few other charge minions and stuff I thought would be good:  (I don't have half the cards ashersky listed)
Inner Rage
Elven Archer
Southern Deckhand (I only have one)
2 Firey war axe
Cleave
Heroic Strike
Acidic Swamp Ooze
Dire Wolf Alpha
Ironbeak Owl (I love this card)
Charge
Shield Block
Argent Horseride (only have one)
Gnomeregan Infantry (only have one)
Wolfrider
Thrallmar Farseer (figure he'd a great target for the Charge spell)
Warsong Commander
Chillwind Yeti
Gnomish Inventor
2 Korkron Elite
Senjin Shieldmasta
2 Arcanite Reaper
Antique Healbot
Nightblade (3 damage battlecry is kinda like having charge)
2 Reckless Rocketeer
Sunwalker
North Sea Kracken (prob my favorite 7+ minion I've found so far)

EDIT: And won my first two games with this deck :)
EDIT2: Then on my 3rd and 4th wins (not right after the first two, but oh well), I finished him off with Nightblade's battlecry.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 11:39:18 pm by LibraryAdventurer »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 21 queries.