Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Hearthstone Noob  (Read 34296 times)

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
Re: Hearthstone Noob
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2016, 04:27:13 pm »

Someone can do the math on it, but I'm pretty sure top 10% isn't good enough.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2016, 04:56:20 pm »
+1

It's close; to average 7 wins, it's about 91st %ile.  I don't know if 7 allows you to go infinite though; combined with doing quests it probably does.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2016, 04:59:11 pm »

Well, around 9% of all Arena runs reach 7 or more wins, so unless I'm stupid, someone who's in the top 9% Arena players should be averaging 7 wins. The difference between 6 and 7 is a bit bigger than the difference between 7 and 8, but every victory beyond the 8th makes a way bigger difference than the victories before the 7th, and you get gold for completing the daily quests while you're at it, so it's not a very exact number but I really don't think it's very far from the truth.

It's close; to average 7 wins, it's about 91st %ile.  I don't know if 7 allows you to go infinite though; combined with doing quests it probably does.

Getting 7 guarantees at least 150 gold. EDIT: re-reading your comment, I think you probably already knew this.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2016, 05:03:20 pm »

Combined with quests you can go infinite or near infinite even when lower than 7 average, I did manage to do so for a short while but than I do not know what happened I am doing significantly worse.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2016, 05:11:48 pm »
+1

Is this a thread for Hearthstone Noobs? I just downloaded the app, I've unlocked Arena Mode but not much else.

So I have a few questions, if anyone knows the answers.
1. What are some pros and cons about each class?
2. Why is it bad to amass a bunch of cheap costing minions?
3. Any general strategy tidbits would be appreciated.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2016, 05:40:33 pm »

I'll answer your question 1 in a separate post as it is a longer one.

2. Because you use a lot of your resources (cards) and your opponent can clear all that with just 1 card - a AoE spell. You generally want to avoid that. Like, this is not 100% written in stone, but it is a concept that you should always keep in your head.
3. Watch Trump Teachings series on youtube, he explains all the game's main concepts (mana curve, board control, tempo, trading, card advantage, life as resource, etc..)

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2016, 06:08:59 pm »

I actually started and wrote a some pros and cons about few classes and than realized it isn't really worth much, it is the best to play them all and see for yourself what fits you. Mostly as new and old players see it quite differently.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2016, 06:09:06 pm »

Well, around 9% of all Arena runs reach 7 or more wins, so unless I'm stupid, someone who's in the top 9% Arena players should be averaging 7 wins. The difference between 6 and 7 is a bit bigger than the difference between 7 and 8, but every victory beyond the 8th makes a way bigger difference than the victories before the 7th, and you get gold for completing the daily quests while you're at it, so it's not a very exact number but I really don't think it's very far from the truth.

Getting 7 guarantees at least 150 gold. EDIT: re-reading your comment, I think you probably already knew this.

I didn't realize it was guaranteed, no;  I had merely heard 7 wins tossed around as a breaking even point.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2016, 06:26:17 pm »
+3

Is this a thread for Hearthstone Noobs? I just downloaded the app, I've unlocked Arena Mode but not much else.

So I have a few questions, if anyone knows the answers.
1. What are some pros and cons about each class?
2. Why is it bad to amass a bunch of cheap costing minions?
3. Any general strategy tidbits would be appreciated.

On Arena or just in general? Assuming Arena:

1. Rogue - has lots of great tempo cards at common, has the most useful hero power, has strong board clear against weak minions, has answers to big minions, generally just a very strong class, but the problem is that you're going to take a lot of damage due to your hero power, so it can be tricky to play right.
2. Paladin - has tons and tons of cards that have enormous effects relative to their costs, mostly at $4. Typically you will get more value than your opponent out of your mid game cards, but at that point, you might already have fallen behind in tempo against, say, a Rogue, and then you don't get to play your Blessing of Kingses and Consecrations which might cost you the game. Your hero power is also pretty weak, as it doesn't do anything immediately.
3. Mage - Has good answers to everything, doesn't have many threatening cards of is own. You can be very versatile with a Mage, since you do actually have somewhat decent board clear even against bigger minions in Flamestrike, so you can sometimes build pretty slow decks that work out well, or you can build faster decks too. Mage doesn't actually have many weaknesses to speak of, it's just not quite as good as Rogue.
4. Druid - Another class suitable for slower decks because it has a million Taunts and some good board clear. A lot of people seem to play Druids very aggressively on Arena, but in my experience that doesn't seem to work out too well very often. Also has some pretty good value cards just like Paladin, but they're not quite as strong, and instead they're more likely to actually do something instead of getting stuck into your hand.
5. Shaman - Has a lot of cards that allow you to finish the game very fast if you manage to get an advantage, but doesn't have a lot of cards that actually allow you to get that advantage. Shamans have lots of decent cards that are, like, on-par or very very slightly better than the top tier neutral commons at the respective price points, but the super good cards are rare or epic so you don't get those too often, with the exception of Fire Elemental which is a super good common. The hero power is horrible. In general, you're going to have a slightly harder time with a Shaman than with the other classes, but if things work out, they can work out really well.
6. Warlock - It has some pretty good commons, but overall, it's not amazing. The hero power can work out super well for you if you can handle the lost tempo, or if you can't, it's awful.
7. Priest - a pretty swingy class on Arena, and usually it doesn't work as well as you'd want. The pros are that it's apparently still better than Warrior, but usually you should avoid picking Priest if possible.

In Constructed, you shouldn't think so much about the pros and cons of each class, but rather, the pros and cons of each deck. A face Hunter has vastly different match ups than a midrange Hunter, for example.

It's not necessarily bad to amass a bunch of cheap minions. There's a limit to how much you can do it, though, because you can only draw one card per turn unless you have extra card draw, and once you've emptied out your opening hand, it doesn't matter if your minion costs 1 mana or 4 mana because either way you can play it and it's the only thing you can play. Except that the 4 mana minion probably does more stuff for you, so you'd rather have that. The other reason is that board clears exist and they can amplify that problem.

For general strategy tidbits, you should read the old Magic article called Who's The Beatdown because it's a classic and it 100% applies to Hearthstone. And do what Grujah suggested (I haven't seen the videos myself, but those concepts are things that you should learn about and why not learn them from Trump given that he has a video series explaining them).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2016, 06:31:10 pm »

Also, in Arena, you don't want to PICK a lot of small minions in arena (if that is what you meant) is that usually you want to play a 2 cost minion on turn 2, 3 cost on 3 etc. as you want to use the maximum of your turn. Playing a 2 drop + hero power on turn 4 is usually less good than  a 4 drop. Also, late in game you would rather draw a bigger minion as it impact the board more and you have a lot of mana anyway.

That being said, you actually do want a good amount of 2 cost minions in arena, as they are still very important, as gaining early advantage can easily translate into win. Also you want only a few of 6,7+ as you dont want the stuck into hand.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2016, 12:36:13 am »
+1

I mostly agree that it's still much better to get cards free by playing than to have to pay for them, but shouldn't the matchmaking in play mode match you against someone with a similar amount of cards?
Also, an opponent just played a card that gave his minion +10/+10. Such a card should not exist.
On a better note I won two games in a row (before the game where the guy played the +10/+10 card).

Also, there's a druid card, Wild Growth, that gives an empty mana crystal. I don't get it. What does that do?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 12:41:37 am by LibraryAdventurer »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2016, 12:48:07 am »
+1

I mostly agree that it's still much better to get cards free by playing than to have to pay for them, but shouldn't the matchmaking in play mode match you against someone with a similar amount of cards?
Also, an opponent just played a card that gave his minion +10/+10. Such a card should not exist.
On a better note I won two games in a row (before the game where the guy played the +10/+10 card).

Also, there's a druid card, Wild Growth, that gives an empty mana crystal. I don't get it. What does that do?

That's one of the cards Arch-Thief Rafaam can make.  That card costs 10 mana.  If your opponent plays Rafaam, do not let him have a board.  Just don't.  And keep a board clear ready for the 3/3 mummies.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

nkirbit

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2016, 12:55:31 am »
+1

If I cast wild growth on turn 2, I gain a mana crystal.  I can't use it turn 2, but my next turn, I'll have 4 mana.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2016, 01:02:33 am »

So I've been testing different classes.

I've made a nice Priest deck: there's a 1/3 minion that draws a card whenever I heal and a 2/7 minion that gains 3 attack whenever I take damage. I use the Priest hero power each turn to regenerate my 2/7 guy, draw two cards, play more minions/spells and attack with my 2/7 guy so that he increases.

When that dream doesn't work out, my deck has plenty of card draw and spells that focus on healing, so I'm usually able to get a strong minion in play, keep it alive, clear my opponent's board and whittle him/her down. It's pretty nice.

EDIT: I had too much card draw, I took 9 'Fatigue' damage.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 01:22:56 am by Roadrunner7671 »
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2016, 01:04:32 am »

there's a druid card, Wild Growth, that gives an empty mana crystal. I don't get it. What does that do?

If I cast wild growth on turn 2, I gain a mana crystal.  I can't use it turn 2, but my next turn, I'll have 4 mana.
Cool, does it last for the rest of the game? (5 mana on turn 4?)

...an opponent just played a card that gave his minion +10/+10. Such a card should not exist.

That's one of the cards Arch-Thief Rafaam can make.  That card costs 10 mana.  If your opponent plays Rafaam, do not let him have a board.  Just don't.  And keep a board clear ready for the 3/3 mummies.
What do you mean by 'don't let him have a board'?

EDIT: A mage plays a minion that gives +5 spell damage. Do they give any thought to balance when making these cards?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 01:48:42 am by LibraryAdventurer »

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2016, 02:11:50 am »
+1

there's a druid card, Wild Growth, that gives an empty mana crystal. I don't get it. What does that do?

...an opponent just played a card that gave his minion +10/+10. Such a card should not exist.

EDIT: A mage plays a minion that gives +5 spell damage. Do they give any thought to balance when making these cards?

By "don't let them have a board", he means try your best to make sure your opponent has no minions at the start of their turn.

The +5 Spell damage card is Malygos, who costs 9 mana. The thing is, there are certain cards that are meant to be win conditions in the deck. Check out Mage's Archmage Antonidas for another example of such a card.

Because minion-destroying spells are relatively common, the high costing minions need to have absurd effects to be worth including. Unfortunately, a lot of these cards tend to be Legendaries. The decks that require little to no legendaries tend to lean more towards aggression, like the Warlock decks that flood the board with low mana efficient minions.

Priest is neat for beginners because it has a whole bunch of spells that help deal with big minions.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2016, 05:48:13 am »
+2

Yeah, that empty mana crystal is for the rest of the game. It's quite a powerful effect.

Don't let him have the board means don't let him have any minions on the table. This is one of the reasons why Trump Teachings is good, it teaches you not only the concepts but the lingo too.

Yes, they put a though in balancing. 9 mana is A LOT. You only have 1 more mana to work with, and there are only a few damage spells you can follow it up with. He needs to survive a turn AND you to have burn (damage) cards in hand for him to do much, and it might not seem like a lot, but it is. People will know what you are up to and are going to save a kill spell for a big minion. For 9 mana you can drop some much more scary stuff, with more immediate effect, and Malygos is really only used as a piece of a combo kill. He is still pretty good, but not broken as you might have imagined.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2016, 10:58:31 am »
+2

As crazy as these cards seem, they are not as crazy as they look. The guy that gives +10/+10 is not as crazy as it seems. See that card called Polymorph? It still kill a 17/17 creature.

Think of it like this. That guy costs 9mana, then 10mana to play. If you have 10 damage in your minions, you can deal 20 damage in the time it takes him to play those 2 cards for a 17/17 minion. The way you need to think about the game is if something like Malygos (The +5 sell damage guy) is played, you need to remove him this turn, or your opponent will win. And sometimes, that's the way his deck wins, by playing malygos and playing spells. When you learn what's possible, things seems less crazy. I remember everything seeming crazy, like Divine Spirit+Inner Fire. I thought it was stupid good because I lost to it once. You realize quickly that it's actually not a strong combo, it just feels that way when you pull it off.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2016, 11:43:26 am »
+1

It matches you against someone with a similar performance. If you keep losing games, you'll get matched against weaker opponents (maybe they still have more cards than you do, but they are awful players so you will win a decent amount of time).

When a card costs 9 mana, it needs to have an enormous effect (some of which you need to get immediately on the turn you play that card) or it's a worthless card. The game could end before you even get to play a card that expensive, or your opponent could remove it for way less mana than you paid for it, so it needs to really pay off when none of those things happen. Malygos gets played in some decks, but those decks aren't at all dominant and the vast majority of competitive decks don't run Malygos.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2016, 11:51:21 am »
+1

Also bear in mind that certain decks are built around OTK (one-turn-kill) combos.  This is why every Druid runs Force of Nature and Savage Roar.  I'm currently running a Mage that uses Malygos to deal 30+ damage to the opponent in a single turn, first reducing costs using Emperor Thaurissan once all my spells are in hand with Malygos.  So there are some games where you will lose because your opponent was able to last long enough to get to their combo.  So in general, keep these things in mind:

1) Dominate the board.  This can either mean have bigger/better minions in play than your opponent, or it can mean completely denying your opponent any sort of minions at all through removal spells.  This is particularly true for classes with lots of buffs, like Priest and Paladin.  Never let a Paladin keep anything on the board.

2) Be aware of what the other class's tools are.  If you're playing Warrior, be aware that any damaged minion can die to Execute, and be aware that if they have a lot of armor they can Shield Slam your minions.  If you're playing against Paladin (or Mage) don't put too many low-health minions on the board in case of Consecration (or Flamestrike/Blizzard).  If you're playing against Druid, keep Taunts up or make sure you never go under 14 Health, in case of FoN/SR.  And so on.  I'd recommend browsing through http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Hearthstone_Wiki just to see what each class has available to them.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2016, 06:49:52 pm »
+1

Actually just found this on the official site:
http://eu.battle.net/hearthstone/en/game-guide/lessons

It gives some good tips, surprisingly.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2016, 08:21:20 pm »

So... my third time in the arena, I get a choice between Priest, Warlock, and Warrior. I choose priest (I've never played Warlock yet at all) and go 1-3.
blah.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2016, 08:33:30 pm »

Priest really needs to be played in a specific style - out value / out card your opponent. You need to make every trade favorable, and you do that with your heropower. That's how I go around with him, don't really think there is another way.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2016, 10:43:49 pm »

So... my third time in the arena, I get a choice between Priest, Warlock, and Warrior. I choose priest (I've never played Warlock yet at all) and go 1-3.
blah.

That's a pretty awful group of choices, even for a pro.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2016, 11:08:13 pm »

Why is there such a short time limit for turns?  At least twice I ran out of time with more things I would've done.

EDIT: Just played a game that was a little too close. We kept trading minions while not doing each other much damage until I ran out of cards and my opponent had about 6 left (I had played a nourish at some point for +3 cards and another drawing card or two). We both had about nine hit points left, but my opponent had a few more minions to play. My very last card was a gnomish inventor. I resigned.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 11:39:24 pm by LibraryAdventurer »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.