Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Hearthstone Noob  (Read 34286 times)

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
Re: Hearthstone Noob
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2016, 07:06:00 pm »
+1

If you can average 4 wins with Priest, you can average 8 with Rogue. Rogue is insanely strong (although it's also very tricky to play) right now. There isn't really any good reason to ever pick Priest or Hunter no matter how good you are, if you're trying to maximize your chances of winning a lot.

This is simply false. Classes aren't equally strong, but the differences aren't nearly as big as you claim they are. Look at this for example: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jck4WkEvaKWE0Iw9RrttLHoFO3KEMG6In6XS1okzmx4/edit#gid=1595896034

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2016, 07:06:05 pm »

So I guess that means when you open arena and get offered Hunter, Priest and Shaman you stop playing arena forever?

Well, then you just pick Shaman.

I think that's a terrible idea, unless you think it would be fun to play. But Shaman isn't objectively better than Hunter and Priest.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2016, 07:16:03 pm »

If you can average 4 wins with Priest, you can average 8 with Rogue. Rogue is insanely strong (although it's also very tricky to play) right now. There isn't really any good reason to ever pick Priest or Hunter no matter how good you are, if you're trying to maximize your chances of winning a lot.

This is simply false. Classes aren't equally strong, but the differences aren't nearly as big as you claim they are. Look at this for example: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jck4WkEvaKWE0Iw9RrttLHoFO3KEMG6In6XS1okzmx4/edit#gid=1595896034

Well, my estimation of what the worst classes were was admittedly half wrong. I thought it was fairly obvious that I said 8 because exactly twice as many wins sounds cooler than a more realistic estimate, though.

So I guess that means when you open arena and get offered Hunter, Priest and Shaman you stop playing arena forever?

Well, then you just pick Shaman.

I think that's a terrible idea, unless you think it would be fun to play. But Shaman isn't objectively better than Hunter and Priest.

I think the Google doc linked by Watno kind of suggests that it is.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 07:17:59 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2016, 01:56:21 pm »

Well, my estimation of what the worst classes were was admittedly half wrong. I thought it was fairly obvious that I said 8 because exactly twice as many wins sounds cooler than a more realistic estimate, though.

It's F.DS. You posted in the GOON GARDEN's topic. How could you not see this coming? :P
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2016, 01:12:46 am »

I seen people forfeit when they're significantly behind several times, but I can't figure out how to forfeit and I can't find any comprehensive list of controls. So how do you forfeit? And is there a full list of controls somewhere?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2016, 03:12:39 am »

I seen people forfeit when they're significantly behind several times, but I can't figure out how to forfeit and I can't find any comprehensive list of controls. So how do you forfeit? And is there a full list of controls somewhere?

On a PC at least, hit the Esc key, and the top option will be "Concede."
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2016, 03:28:54 am »

I don't recommend forfeiting until your opponent has lethal and you can't do anything about it. If you really are so much behind that reasonably good RNG can't save you, the game is only going to take a couple of turns anyway.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2016, 03:50:35 am »

On a PC at least, hit the Esc key, and the top option will be "Concede."

If, like Kripp, your escape key is broken, you can also get the menu by clicking the "cog" options button in the bottom right of the screen.

Another reason not to concede is that you can learn a lot from playing seemingly hopeless games.  What would need to happen for you to win?  Play assuming it will go that way.  Thinking about how the game could go for you will help you play better in your other games.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2016, 03:57:37 am »

I'm beginning to be turned off to this game for one of the same reasons I hate MTG. My opponents play with cards that I don't have access to (or would have to pay extra money to get), so they have an unfair advantage. I think I've gone 1-7 today (in normal play mode).

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2016, 04:07:19 am »
+1

I'm beginning to be turned off to this game for one of the same reasons I hate MTG. My opponents play with cards that I don't have access to (or would have to pay extra money to get), so they have an unfair advantage. I think I've gone 1-7 today (in normal play mode).

You just need to play more. Acquiring cards is trivial when you're good at Arena, and being good at Arena doesn't require having a large collection, it just requires playing more. I haven't purchased anything with real money and I usually have extra dust just laying around because I already have all the cards for all the decks I want to play on Ranked (one of these being Control Warrior, for which I have significantly more Legendaries than I actually use in the deck so that I can switch them based on what seems to be popular on ladder — and the reason why I have those extra Legendaries is that I had some extra dust laying around so hey, why not craft another tech Legendary for the Control Warrior).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 04:09:32 am by Awaclus »

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2016, 05:58:27 am »
+1

Two more small tips on acquiring more cards:
(1) Do your daily quests to earn gold, and try to replace one quest every day for a better one (i.e. a quest that rewards more gold). 40 gold is the least you can get for a single quest so click those quests away whenever you can. They get replaced immediately and the new quest might give 50, 60 or 100 gold, or a pack.
(2) Buy card packs for 100 gold each. For beginners, classic packs are best. Buy The Grand Tournament packs later if you want newer cards or more variety. Do not buy Goblins versus Gnomes packs anymore as this expansion won't be used in standard ranked format from the spring 2016 expansion on.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2016, 07:36:23 am »

It's not as uphill battle as you might think. I have a lot of friends that started late, struggled to go through a low ranks for some time - like a month, month a half, and than just getting there to rank 15, than 10, than 5. You can see examples on this forum too.
Easiest and best way is to find a cheap deck that is good - like Aggro Shaman, Zoo, Mech Mage - something along those lines - and stick with that. Play it, learn it inside-out and you'll do great.

Also, you can watch Trump Teachings on youtube, also Trump F2P runs where he makes a new F2P account and gets it to legend - I think he's last run only took 2 months or so - he let cards dictate what he plays, and it was priest. 

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2016, 09:15:39 am »
+1

I'd recommend playing a class with strong basic answers to cards until you have a larger collection - Mage springs to mind.  Frostbolt, Fireball, Polymorph, Water Elemental, and Flamestrike are all basic cards, and good Classic cards like Mana Wyrm and Mirror Entity are cheap to craft.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2016, 09:16:56 am »
+1

I'd recommend playing a class with strong basic answers to cards until you have a larger collection - Mage springs to mind.  Frostbolt, Fireball, Polymorph, Water Elemental, and Flamestrike are all basic cards, and good Classic cards like Mana Wyrm and Mirror Entity are cheap to craft.

I don't recommend crafting commons.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2016, 09:37:38 am »
+2

I don't recommend drudging through endless packs waiting for the right cards when you can just craft them.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2016, 09:46:35 am »

I don't recommend drudging through endless packs waiting for the right cards when you can just craft them.

Which is why it's crucial to not craft commons so you can afford the cards you're actually not going to get from a pack. It doesn't take very long to acquire 2 copies of every common anyway.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2016, 10:57:04 am »
+2

Well, this is the case for any CCG really. Hearthstone at least gives you set of basic cards to play with (some of which are staples to this day) and gives you a means to collect more cards without spending money by playing more. You want to be playing more anyway so that you can get better at the game.

It may feel like a tough road, but perseverance will get you through it. Ask for advice and watch streams when you can.

You can also post deck lists you've been trying out here for advice/criticism. That can help a lot too.

Edit: oh yeah, don't forget about Tavern Brawl. It's open each week from Wednesday to Sunday. The first TB win you get each week gives you a free Classic Pack. This week is one of those weeks where you don't build a deck with your own cards, so everyone is on an even playing field.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 11:01:51 am by markusin »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2016, 02:43:19 pm »
+1

Which is why it's crucial to not craft commons so you can afford the cards you're actually not going to get from a pack. It doesn't take very long to acquire 2 copies of every common anyway.

I think you're making some serious assumptions about how long it takes to get two of every common.  I don't have two of every Classic common, and I've probably opened ~400 classic packs.

You're so basing your assumptions on your ability to go infinite in Arena.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2016, 02:49:18 pm »

I find myself (unusually) agreeing with Awa.

The point is not to get two of every common.  The point is to get some good commons (there are enough good commons that this won't take too long) and then build a deck to take into account the cards that you have, with help from netdecks etc.  That then accelerates your ability to get more good commons while you get better at the game until you can do well in Arena.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2016, 02:57:45 pm »

I think you're making some serious assumptions about how long it takes to get two of every common.  I don't have two of every Classic common, and I've probably opened ~400 classic packs.

Assuming you on average get 3 commons per pack (it's more than than, somewhere between 3 and 4, but this is conservative) 400 packs is 1200 commons. There is less than 100 classic commons (94) - times two is about 200. I don't buy that. Yeah, you might miss some random irrelevant common, but you have 99% of what you need.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2016, 03:07:16 pm »

That's not how probability works.  At the point where you have 187 out of 188 classic commons, you'll need to open on average 47 more packs to get the 188th.  It is self-evidently cheaper to "waste" 40 dust at that point, since you'll get that from 2 packs.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2016, 03:53:11 pm »

Well, I do have the ability to go infinite in Arena (the daily quests help with that, too, but I play as much Arena as I feel like playing and I make more gold than I spend that way). If I can do it, so can you.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2016, 05:44:16 pm »

Well, I do have the ability to go infinite in Arena (the daily quests help with that, too, but I play as much Arena as I feel like playing and I make more gold than I spend that way). If I can do it, so can you.

You might be overestimating my abilities.

That said, not *everyone* can go infinite in arena.  That's just basic math.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2016, 05:52:15 pm »

Yeah, but you only need to be in like the top 10% or so.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2016, 11:55:00 pm »
+1

Yeah, but you only need to be in like the top 10% or so.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.