Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New Card: Granary  (Read 2700 times)

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
New Card: Granary
« on: February 01, 2016, 10:44:09 pm »
+7

This has been playtested ~3-4 times.

Granary:
+1 Card
+1 Action
If there is a card on your Granary mat, put it into your hand. Otherwise, look through your discard pile and put a card from it onto your Granary mat.
Cost: $4
Action
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
Re: New Card: Granary
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 11:46:45 pm »

How did it play when you tested it? And did you test it vs. Haven, Courtyard, Gear, and other 'save for later' cards?

I say this because on the whole Granary seems weaker than Haven. Haven lets you save a terminal for a later hand, similar to Granary, but on the other hand you don't have to wait until another Haven comes up to use the saved card. And two Granaries in the same turn seems like a waste of hand space.

Maybe this would be stronger if Granary could play the card from the Granary mat, instead of simply returning the card to your hand.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 11:50:27 pm by Marcory »

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 12:09:39 am »
+6

How did it play when you tested it? And did you test it vs. Haven, Courtyard, Gear, and other 'save for later' cards?

I say this because on the whole Granary seems weaker than Haven. Haven lets you save a terminal for a later hand, similar to Granary, but on the other hand you don't have to wait until another Haven comes up to use the saved card. And two Granaries in the same turn seems like a waste of hand space.

Maybe this would be stronger if Granary could play the card from the Granary mat, instead of simply returning the card to your hand.
Granary  draws half a card that you get to choose from your discard pile. It is closer to lab then haven/gear.

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 03:41:26 am »

I like the card. On the first glance it seems to be a mixture of Haven, Scheme and half-Lab but it is really too unique to be able to be compared too closely to existing cards.
I also think that it is safe to say without any playtesting that the price is right. As Limetime has pointed out it is a half-Lab so it has to cost less than 5$ but as you can choose a card from your discard pile you can influence what you get so 3$ would probably be too cheap.
Sure, the closest 3$ card is Menagerie and it is a condition double-Lab but it takes effort and time to design your deck such that Menageries work whereas Granary is probably a decent buy in the middlegame (I cannot imagine a Kingdom where it makes sense to open with it).

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 05:11:15 am »

Granary  draws half a card that you get to choose from your discard pile. It is closer to lab then haven/gear.

This.

Granary is a cantrip, so it won't ever be a waste of hand space (you only need to worry about opportunity cost). After playing two Granaries in a turn, your handsize is increased by one - it's like playing two Nobles, only Granaries don't give you VP, but you get to pick one of the three drawn cards from your discard pile.

It's still weaker than Lab - raw draw is more important in most cases - but that just makes the $4 price justified even more.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +347
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 08:26:27 am »

Sure, the closest 3$ card is Menagerie and it is a condition double-Lab but it takes effort and time to design your deck such that Menageries work whereas Granary is probably a decent buy in the middlegame (I cannot imagine a Kingdom where it makes sense to open with it).

I think it's also closely comparable to Advisor. Advisor draws more than Granary but gets you worse cards.

Granary is way better in weak decks though. I could potentially see something like Philosopher's Stone - Granary being a thing (on boards where nothing better is going on).

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 10:57:01 am »

I'm glad to see that you guys like it. My mother was unlucky last game and kept getting them only when she had no discard pile.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 02:35:46 pm »
+2

Could add "Discard the top card of your deck"
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 20 queries.