Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14  All

Author Topic: The Dominion online 2017 thread  (Read 112874 times)

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
Re: The Dominion online 2017 thread
« Reply #275 on: January 06, 2017, 09:45:19 pm »
+1

Oh, given that there's no way to access the log after the game screen is left, perhaps my rant about how useless the log is in recreating the game is rather moot at this point.  Nevertheless, I expect at some point that we will be able to have full access to our past games and be able to replay them, just like on the Prismata client.  While they're dealing with a simply deterministic game and Dominion has shuffling, shuffling is the only randomness (ok, Black Market, anything else?), so all you need to do is have each shuffle encoded into the log.  Getting such a fully comprehensive log would be a major project if it was not initially planned, but having played Prismata for a while, I'm really missing that whole ability to go back and luck at each game stage by stage.

Good news, this feature is planned. Sometime. ;) In fact you do not have to encode each shuffle into the log, just the initial random seed.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #276 on: January 07, 2017, 02:40:46 am »
+16

So I just granted my own Undo whilst possessing my opponent.

trazoM

• Herbalist
  • Shuffle iT Username: trazoM
  • Gardener
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 07, 2017, 05:44:17 am »

Ok, I just played about 3 shuffles of a Page board always getting at least two of them, and was wondering where the hell my treasure hunters were when I apparently had been telling the game constantly that I wanted to keep them.  The multiple traveler dialog box is really, really, really, really bad.  Why would clicking on exchange, changing the coloring, cause it to go from being exchanged to being kept?  It literally makes no sense at all.  And this isn't even the first time I had multiple traveler turns.  The interface is so counter-intuitive, that I didn't even remember how it works a few days later.
Well, thats a discussion we had before. Clicking on exchange OR Keep toggles the selection. The thing that happens in the current selection is marked, also the card you will get by keeping/exchanging is colored. I dont know how to make this more clear other than adding another tag saying "keep" or "exchange" between the two pictures.
€dit: Just noticed that there is a new thread of people trying to improve it: http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=1030.msg2709#new
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 05:47:37 am by trazoM »

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 07, 2017, 07:02:14 am »

I think the traveller's thingy, as is, is superintuitive.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 07, 2017, 08:50:29 am »
+1

I also was under the impression that Donald X played with Inheritance on some version of the new client, and yet it's not available when the client is released.  Did something in Empires break it, was that implementation completely separate from what you came up with later, or was it actually not implemented very well originally?

I am wondering that, too.

Well if it does anything for you, I'd played with Inheritance on Stef's program before I played with it on MF's.

Does Stef's Inheritance actually work properly with Reserves?
I don't remember, and am not checking, but note that he had the advantage of starting the project knowing about the existence of all of the trickiest Dominion cards.
I did play with Inheritance on their system in March; I wasn't lying, neither was I in error.

You will have to do your own speculation as to why it isn't on their system now; I am not doing that speculation for you. You could ask them, but they are Busy, doing things like getting Inheritance working.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 07, 2017, 09:14:51 am »

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Razzishi

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eye Urn
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 07, 2017, 09:30:14 am »
+4

You mean how I can click on exchange like I want to exchange them, and the game will think that I want to keep them because the parity of clicks on that card is odd?  Why should the number of times I click matter?  What should matter is *where* I click.  The color scheme is of no help at all in figuring out which one is active; the only way to really know is to know that they default to "exchange".  Factorio had this issue with the automatic/manual train toggle, and decided to use a slider whose ends were labeled.  You could also put a check mark next to the one that will be done.  Or you could just just, you know, have the same interface regardless of how many travelers there are.  The only time order matters that I'm aware of is if you need to return one in order for there to be one of ones you're going to upgrade to, so just doing them in order from most traveled to least will always be optimal.  I don't think your decision will ever need to depend on knowing exactly how many of each you have available to upgrade; the decision is generally going to be based on how many total you have of each in your deck, which is generally not something the game will be able to show you and you need to keep track of yourself.  If it really matters, the interface could allow you to be able to look at all the cards you've played this turn.
Stop reading my signature.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 07, 2017, 09:33:41 am »

You mean how I can click on exchange like I want to exchange them, and the game will think that I want to keep them because the parity of clicks on that card is odd?  Why should the number of times I click matter?  What should matter is *where* I click.  The color scheme is of no help at all in figuring out which one is active; the only way to really know is to know that they default to "exchange".  Factorio had this issue with the automatic/manual train toggle, and decided to use a slider whose ends were labeled.  You could also put a check mark next to the one that will be done.  Or you could just just, you know, have the same interface regardless of how many travelers there are.  The only time order matters that I'm aware of is if you need to return one in order for there to be one of ones you're going to upgrade to, so just doing them in order from most traveled to least will always be optimal.  I don't think your decision will ever need to depend on knowing exactly how many of each you have available to upgrade; the decision is generally going to be based on how many total you have of each in your deck, which is generally not something the game will be able to show you and you need to keep track of yourself.  If it really matters, the interface could allow you to be able to look at all the cards you've played this turn.

I have no idea how it works in terms of pressing keep and exchange.

All I know is this: I have never had an issue during the game. I do know this: what's black and grey is the thing that doesn't happen and the card that is shiny and colorful is the card that will end up in your discard. I mean: what more do you want? Shiny things = things that happen. Dark and grey = things that don't happen.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 07, 2017, 09:52:13 am »

I think it's intuitive, just not at first glance, and certainly not after MF.

People just see a button that says "Exchange", and they think they need to click it to exchange travellers. This would make sense, especially after MF implemented it that way. However, if you actually look at the UI it's clear.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

SCSN

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 07, 2017, 09:55:58 am »
+15

In the next release, clicking an already selected option will no longer toggle the selection.

allanfieldhouse

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +374
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: January 07, 2017, 10:28:04 am »
+2

So I just granted my own Undo whilst possessing my opponent.

Working as intended, right? You make all decisions for your opponent according to the card. Plus you get to make your own decisions too.

SCSN

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 07, 2017, 10:59:50 am »
+2

I also was under the impression that Donald X played with Inheritance on some version of the new client, and yet it's not available when the client is released.  Did something in Empires break it, was that implementation completely separate from what you came up with later, or was it actually not implemented very well originally?

I am wondering that, too.

Well if it does anything for you, I'd played with Inheritance on Stef's program before I played with it on MF's.

Does Stef's Inheritance actually work properly with Reserves?
I don't remember, and am not checking, but note that he had the advantage of starting the project knowing about the existence of all of the trickiest Dominion cards.
I did play with Inheritance on their system in March; I wasn't lying, neither was I in error.

You will have to do your own speculation as to why it isn't on their system now; I am not doing that speculation for you. You could ask them, but they are Busy, doing things like getting Inheritance working.

The old implementation didn't survive a particular rewrite, and it has yet to be fully re-implemented. There isn't any particular problem other than the age old "too much to do in too little time".

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 08, 2017, 11:42:29 am »

How do I change the number of players for quick/good match?
Well you *do* need a signature...

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 08, 2017, 11:45:16 am »

I don't think you can.
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

-Stef-

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 08, 2017, 11:47:30 am »
+1

You don't, and it isn't planned either (at least not short term).
Our plan is to improve the usefulness of the 'tables' to make it easier to find 3+ player matches.
Join the Dominion League!

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 08, 2017, 11:49:27 am »
+1

Are 5 and 6 player games meant to have the normal 2/3/4 player number of treasures? I thought you used double the amount

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 08, 2017, 06:13:40 pm »

You don't, and it isn't planned either (at least not short term).
Our plan is to improve the usefulness of the 'tables' to make it easier to find 3+ player matches.

Why the distinction? Is matching with 3+ players significantly more difficult?
Well you *do* need a signature...

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 08, 2017, 08:33:22 pm »

You can Disciple a soldier to make someone discard down to three.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 08, 2017, 08:50:07 pm »

Good thing they got that right!
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 08, 2017, 08:53:59 pm »
+1

Good thing they got that right!

In MF's Adventures beta, doing that would gain you an extra Soldier
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 09, 2017, 09:13:21 pm »

Oh, 4 or more, not more than four.  Tricky Minion!

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 09, 2017, 11:17:55 pm »

Well, I went ahead and spent the reasonable upcharge to get the gold subscription. I was just getting used to the 2nd edition cards and now I have Empires and Adventures neither of which have ever played in any format. Talk about a learning curve!
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 10, 2017, 12:48:06 am »
+2

Well, I went ahead and spent the reasonable upcharge to get the gold subscription. I was just getting used to the 2nd edition cards and now I have Empires and Adventures neither of which have ever played in any format. Talk about a learning curve!

Adventures alone is a big learning curve.  Empires has been crazy.

I played an Alms/Villa game yesterday.  Shenanigans were had.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #298 on: January 10, 2017, 07:31:39 pm »

If I close out my browser tab during my opponent's turn, where I know for a fact that that will be the last turn, does the game end right then and I lose?  Or does my opponent get to finish their turn?  And then what does the game report page thingy look like to them?  I'm wondering because there was a game where I was up by like 40 VP and my opponent bought the last Province on their turn, and they were super slow and I really wanted to leave and do something else but didn't want to have to forfeit.  Ended up sitting there for like 5 minutes.

EDIT: Err, maybe they 3-piled during their action phase, or something, can't remember -- same question would apply
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 07:34:28 pm by Dingan »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 10, 2017, 09:30:38 pm »

I wish the URL didn't contain games so I would have a chance of playing this through the filter at work.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14  All

Page created in 0.38 seconds with 21 queries.