Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14  All

Author Topic: The Dominion online 2017 thread  (Read 112864 times)

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
Re: The Dominion online 2017 thread
« Reply #175 on: January 02, 2017, 08:36:13 pm »

Well, that's the thing, though. The hardcore community—for the most part—views Dominion like chess. And now we have an implementation by and for that community alone, which is likely going to alienate everybody else. Subscriptions are probably the biggest symptom here, but mid-turn resignation is another one.    I would prefer isotropic  -style where you can only resign at the start of your turn. I'd forgotten about that, but it sure sounds nice.

two bot games attempted, two games which froze midturn and couldn't be saved.

i miss the good ol days.

edit: ok attempt 3 went a bit smoother. hoping for the best!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 08:57:31 pm by greatexpectations »
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 02, 2017, 09:19:44 pm »
+1

Working just fine in iOS Dolphin. I suppose I just needed to complain to make it work.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

heeyuck

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 02, 2017, 10:22:44 pm »

Got tired of waiting for the email and so I signed up under another username. Man, that interface is clunky. Maybe I'm just more used to the previous version and will adapt to this one (and hopefully this one will be streamlined some) but my initial impression is that it's a big step backwards.

traces Around

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: tracer
  • Respect: +437
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 02, 2017, 10:47:47 pm »
+2

Man, that interface is clunky. Maybe I'm just more used to the previous version and will adapt to this one (and hopefully this one will be streamlined some) but my initial impression is that it's a big step backwards.

You likely will adapt to this one, as will many others that are put off at the moment.

I believe I also speak for many of the other beta testers when I say that the interface felt really strange at first. It took about a week to get used to it but once I did going back to MF was more difficult than the initial switch to Shuffle iT.

There are certainly a few things that can be fixed and should be soon now that the transition issues are (hopefully permanently) sorted out, but please do give it a bit of time to figure out what is actually a problem and what is just unfamiliar.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 02, 2017, 10:48:28 pm »
+2

Got tired of waiting for the email and so I signed up under another username. Man, that interface is clunky. Maybe I'm just more used to the previous version and will adapt to this one (and hopefully this one will be streamlined some) but my initial impression is that it's a big step backwards.

While I see some big room for improvement what I'm not seeing is a bunch a crap I want removed like I did with the old interface. Getting this interface to look and work better is a matter of tweaking.

Am I missing how to read card text from the supply, that is, prior to buying and having it come into hand?

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: January 02, 2017, 10:52:15 pm »
+4

For me, the ShuffleIT interfaces exceeds some threshold of "is this fun to play with" that the Goko/MF interface didn't. So for all the problems it has currently (and it does have a lot of problems), I can imagine myself actually wanting to play this version, unlike with Goko/MF.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 02, 2017, 11:09:19 pm »
+2

People on reddit are not positive lol.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 02, 2017, 11:17:52 pm »
+1

For me, everything runs very smoothly.  No lag, no dropped games, nothing like Goko or Making Fun's debut.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 02, 2017, 11:33:43 pm »

I made an account using my email that I was supposed to get an activation email for, so I might have 2 accounts under that email once I get an activation email. I was a little bummed that I had to be Roadrunner7672 but it's really not a big deal. As for gameplay, I was fine with it. But I can see why other people might not like it. I'm used to constantly checking the game log, which is necessary in this new Dominion Online. More casual players might not be. I think this explains why people on the forum like it and people on reddit don't. We're hardcore Dominion players, and people on reddit are creampuffs (I'm looking at you, jsh and Limetime!). Overall I think it's about on par with Making Fun as is.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 02, 2017, 11:34:31 pm »
+1

Am I missing how to read card text from the supply, that is, prior to buying and having it come into hand?

Right-click the card.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #185 on: January 02, 2017, 11:34:52 pm »
+10

I think it's just that one guy you were arguing with that has some sort of mental malfunction. 

PS: As a fun game, by the way, any time you see one of those people, click through their history and see how long it takes until you find their pro-Trump posts.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 02, 2017, 11:35:20 pm »

I think it's just that one guy you were arguing with that has some sort of mental malfunction. 

PS: As a fun game, by the way, any time you see one of those people, click through their history and see how long it takes until you find their pro-Trump posts.
Ha ha, I actually did that!

NickDanger

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 03, 2017, 12:06:54 am »
+1

Hmmm... just played a game against a bot. It used a Chapel to trash 3 Provinces... I think there is a slight problem here.

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 03, 2017, 12:59:46 am »

Hmmm... just played a game against a bot. It used a Chapel to trash 3 Provinces... I think there is a slight problem here.

Ya the AI isn't really on the top of their priority list quite yet.

heeyuck

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 03, 2017, 01:01:11 am »
+1

One thing I think the Making Fun implementation did very well was make every action intuitive. From the "aura" around cards telling you where they'd go at a click to the clear buttons for actions, it was easy to play repetitively. This one is a little less clear, and the buttons aren't always in logical places (why is the "end turn" button a window over? for example). I also liked being able to look through the trash, and see clearly at a glance what durations are in play by my opponent.

I do like the undo button, as misclicks got me quite a few times in the MF version.

Is there any way to see one's stats? Even just W/L knowing that rankings will come when there's more data.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 03, 2017, 01:34:34 am »
+2

unintuitive things are pretty minor to me since I'll learn them and use them a million times eventually.

Ergonomics, that's different, I'd like the topdeck button to be larger.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #191 on: January 03, 2017, 02:08:47 am »
+2

My 2 cents after playing 5 games:
Seems like a good product.  Not perfect, but is enjoyable.  My first impression with MF was "WTF, I waited 2 years for an Oregon Trail - style 90's desktop app that required re-installs every week!?  >:( >:("  But in no way is that my first impression here.  I see quite a bit of room for improvement, but overall pretty slick in a lot of ways.

Bads:
- The trash is a bit painful to parse through
- I don't see a way to view Tavern mat
- I haven't played with Durations, Island, Prince, etc. yet, but heard they're invisible
- I only see Trusty Steed, no other Prizes
- I feel I'm reading through the log way more than I did with MF.  It's like, things happen but I don't see them happen right away; I'm often left doing the detective work through the log after the fact.
- Kinda hard to tell what I'm doing with Travellers (like if I'm exchanging them or keeping them)
- Auto-playing treasures when you have Coppers and you can afford 1 or more Grand Markets plays the Coppers -- so you then cannot buy a GM.

Goods:
+ UNDO!!!!!!!!
+ I don't have to top-deck my cards in a certain order when I play Oracle.  For that matter, I get the feeling that whenever I need to make a decision in which my choice doesn't matter, it chooses for me.  I like that.
+ I don't have to click "don't trash" a gazillion times after I've played a gazillion Urchins
+ It's just a tab in my browser, so I can do other stuff (in other browser tabs) at the same time, like when my opponent is slow.  And I can still have the Dominion tab open.  I wonder if I could have multiple Dominion tabs open at the same time (like with multiple bots)... *goes and tries it*
+ probably other things that I'm not remembering right now

But, minor details.  It's a good product.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 03:44:19 am by Dingan »

heeyuck

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 03, 2017, 02:10:30 am »
+2

Just some thoughts for potential improvements...

When forced to discard, half my own cards are covered (the words). Now I'm familiar with most cards, but not everyone is, and the 2nd edition cards from base and intrigue are still pretty new to me, so that seems annoying. As well, the dialogue box always pops up in the middle of the board. There's plenty of room to move things so that it's still prominent but not in the middle of my analysis. And, with tournament, I've found I can't look and see what's available in the prize pile (as well as what's been taken) at any time. Overall, my opponents moves still seem very mysterious--I'm always having to go to the dialogue box when I feel they could be more obvious in real time.

kieranmillar

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: kieranmillar
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 03, 2017, 02:30:14 am »
+2

- I haven't played with Durations, Island, Prince, etc. yet, but heard they're invisible
These are viewable by hovering your mouse over the player's name/VP count area. If there are any cards out it shows up in the log window when you do this.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 03, 2017, 02:35:04 am »

Just some thoughts for potential improvements...

When forced to discard, half my own cards are covered (the words). Now I'm familiar with most cards, but not everyone is, and the 2nd edition cards from base and intrigue are still pretty new to me, so that seems annoying. As well, the dialogue box always pops up in the middle of the board. There's plenty of room to move things so that it's still prominent but not in the middle of my analysis. And, with tournament, I've found I can't look and see what's available in the prize pile (as well as what's been taken) at any time. Overall, my opponents moves still seem very mysterious--I'm always having to go to the dialogue box when I feel they could be more obvious in real time.

Go to the Options tab and change "Move kingdom and play area" to "No". That will lock the kingdom cards in place, so you may prefer it.

Improvements in animation are planned in order to make things more clear. I encourage you to visit the Shuffle iT forums to give them any suggestions you might have.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 03, 2017, 02:48:10 am »
+2

...about anything, ever.  In unrelated news, water is wet, the sun is hot, and baseball is boring.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #196 on: January 03, 2017, 05:46:25 am »

As expected of Reddit!
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 03, 2017, 06:41:31 am »

While I see some big room for improvement what I'm not seeing is a bunch a crap I want removed like I did with the old interface. Getting this interface to look and work better is a matter of tweaking.

Right clicking, which doesn't help you on iPad I'm afraid. A better solution for this is being worked on,  as well as a dedicated iPad app further down the line.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 03, 2017, 09:04:08 am »

Right clicking, which doesn't help you on iPad I'm afraid. A better solution for this is being worked on,  as well as a dedicated iPad app further down the line.

Thanks. I understood an app was forthcoming so the current product seems more than acceptable. I consider it mostly a demo.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 03, 2017, 09:28:59 am »

These are viewable by hovering your mouse over the player's name/VP count area. If there are any cards out it shows up in the log window when you do this.

It took me a while to get these, but after finding it I thought it was pretty cool.  I didn't check (because there weren't Tokens in the game I noticed it), but I assume tokens are on there too?

Regarding the previously brought up AI, yeah it's pretty bad.  They force lose by buying last Province quite a bit, and very often skip major Attacks (like Cursers) in games where they're basically necessary. 
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 22 queries.