Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14  All

Author Topic: The Dominion online 2017 thread  (Read 112865 times)

Throwaway_bicycling

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
Re: The Dominion online 2017 thread
« Reply #150 on: January 02, 2017, 10:39:39 am »

I waited all of 30 seconds to upgrade to the gold package. This is exciting!

Surprisingly to me, although my attempt to upgrade to Gold initially seemed to work, they failed when the online processor tried to hand off to the card company. I have to say, I have never seen anything like this trying to pay online with a credit card from the US before, but I hope this isn't a widespread issue. (Latest version of MacOS with up to date Chrome Browser with an Amazon cc handled by Chase.)

Throwaway_bicycling

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 02, 2017, 10:41:55 am »

As far as im aware ctrl+click or somehing similar works on macs, unfortunately theres no way for tablets yet

So I tried every modifier key plus click to no avail. Plus, whatever the approved way is should be documented somewhere.

Calamitas

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Calamitas
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 02, 2017, 10:42:07 am »
+2

Some people play Dominion because they enjoy playing Dominion. Not because they enjoy climbing the leaderboard. For those people, having a game suddenly end sucks.

You mean, some people play Dominion because they enjoy pointless clicking on cards without a purpose, not because they enjoy playing Dominion. For those people, having the pointless clicking suddenly end after the actual game is over sucks.

Please explain to me how winning Dominion is less pointless than playing it.
In the moment the outcome of the game is clear, the actual game is over. No more strategic thinking, just plain execution. And I certainly don't play dominion for playing my reliable action chain over and over again until all provinces run out (and most opponents don't either I think). That part is just boring and annoying when the game drags on further. In such situations, I consider it a good manner to resign, just like it's done in chess for example.
Oh, i just don't like mafia games.

Town (5/9): M85, RMM35, M87, NM9, M90RMM38, M92, M91, M102,
Scum (3/3): M84, M88, M100

MVPs (1): M84

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #153 on: January 02, 2017, 10:46:24 am »
+2

You have it the wrong way round. Winning Dominion is pointless, playing it is not. That's why you stop the game as soon as someone has won and move on to playing the next game instead of dragging the part where someone is already winning and nobody is playing.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 02, 2017, 11:27:34 am »
+1

There's a difference between "playing" and "going through the motions until the game ends". Dominion is a game where you can have literally no chance of winning and the game doesn't end.

Didn't Isotropic have conditional resigning? I can't remember the details

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #155 on: January 02, 2017, 11:32:35 am »

There's a difference between "playing" and "going through the motions until the game ends". Dominion is a game where you can have literally no chance of winning and the game doesn't end.

Didn't Isotropic have conditional resigning? I can't remember the details

You could only resign at the start of your own turn. That's a feature I don't miss at all.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

kieranmillar

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: kieranmillar
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 02, 2017, 12:30:23 pm »
+3

Found a card bug. Played Overlord as Treasure map and trashed another Treasure map, didn't get my 4 golds. Wiki says "You gain 4 Golds when you play Band of Misfits as Treasure Map." so presumably Overlord should work similarly.

Code: [Select]
Turn 5 - kieranmillar
k plays an Overlord.
  k plays a Treasure Map.
    k trashes a Treasure Map and an Overlord.
k plays 3 Coppers.
k buys an Overlord.
  k takes 8 debt.
k gains an Overlord.
k repays 3 debt (5 remaining).
k draws 3 Coppers and 2 Estates.

heeyuck

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 02, 2017, 02:04:22 pm »

Still no email. Yesterday, when I tried to "sign up" under my old SN I got a message saying that SN was reserved. However, today, I got a message saying "please enter a valid email." Well, I'm quite sure my email is valid as I still use it regularly. I also tried another email address and got the same message.

Thera

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 02, 2017, 02:12:50 pm »

I HATED when people quitted games because they were losing

Does resigning count as quitting, or are you talking about people that disconnect?

resigning. tech problems are outside of a persons conrol.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 02, 2017, 02:18:18 pm »
+1

Still no email. Yesterday, when I tried to "sign up" under my old SN I got a message saying that SN was reserved. However, today, I got a message saying "please enter a valid email." Well, I'm quite sure my email is valid as I still use it regularly. I also tried another email address and got the same message.

The email issue is still being worked on.

Thera

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 02, 2017, 02:21:41 pm »
+1

Some people play Dominion because they enjoy playing Dominion. Not because they enjoy climbing the leaderboard. For those people, having a game suddenly end sucks.

You mean, some people play Dominion because they enjoy pointless clicking on cards without a purpose, not because they enjoy playing Dominion. For those people, having the pointless clicking suddenly end after the actual game is over sucks.

In the moment the outcome of the game is clear, the actual game is over. No more strategic thinking, just plain execution. And I certainly don't play dominion for playing my reliable action chain over and over again until all provinces run out (and most opponents don't either I think). That part is just boring and annoying when the game drags on further. In such situations, I consider it a good manner to resign, just like it's done in chess for example.

people often resign when there is only a slight upperhand to the other player, rather then a clear cut 'game is over', I certainly don't always feel like I've 'won' already when they do this.

Also it's rude to do so for whatever reason without sending a chat message - at least a GG to indicate that you're  resigning because you see it as their victoty.

Thera

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 02, 2017, 02:25:40 pm »

The email issue is still being worked on.

thanks for the update. guess I'll check back again tomorrow and see if I've got the email yet or not. Hopefully payment frrom my Australian cards will work given the posts I've seen from Americans with payment issues they've encountered.  Alternatively is there paypal as a payment option if regional credit cards/eftpos cards wont work with the payment gateway?  I'd feel more secure with PayPal then a payment gateway that I'm unfamiliar with and do not know the security track record (I mean hell I can research it if I have to, but blah effort?)

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 02, 2017, 02:29:51 pm »

There is an option to pay via PayPal, but that also isn't handled by ShuffleIt directly.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 02, 2017, 03:03:14 pm »
+7

You guys, the resignation horse has been dead for like three years.  The community in general treats resigning in Dominion like chess; you can resign at any time, though it's poor form to do so without a handshake/gg.  Yes, that includes resigning even when you don't think you're winning; obviously the other player felt they were losing.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 02, 2017, 03:07:26 pm »
+4

You guys, the resignation horse has been dead for like three years.  The community in general treats resigning in Dominion like chess; you can resign at any time, though it's poor form to do so without a handshake/gg.  Yes, that includes resigning even when you don't think you're winning; obviously the other player felt they were losing.

Well, that's the thing, though. The hardcore community—for the most part—views Dominion like chess. And now we have an implementation by and for that community alone, which is likely going to alienate everybody else. Subscriptions are probably the biggest symptom here, but mid-turn resignation is another one. I would prefer isotropic-style where you can only resign at the start of your turn. I'd forgotten about that, but it sure sounds nice.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 02, 2017, 03:40:27 pm »

Well, that's the thing, though. The hardcore community—for the most part—views Dominion like chess. And now we have an implementation by and for that community alone, which is likely going to alienate everybody else. Subscriptions are probably the biggest symptom here, but mid-turn resignation is another one. I would prefer isotropic-style where you can only resign at the start of your turn. I'd forgotten about that, but it sure sounds nice.

The developers seemed interested in a feature that you'd can continue a resigned game against a bot, and that will presumably help with these sentiments.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #166 on: January 02, 2017, 03:55:45 pm »

That's like saying that the hardcore Chess community views Chess like Chess.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 02, 2017, 03:59:52 pm »
+1

Also it's rude to do so for whatever reason without sending a chat message - at least a GG to indicate that you're  resigning because you see it as their victoty.

I disagree with this unless you've already been using chat.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 02, 2017, 04:17:41 pm »

What browsers are supported? Safari and Dolphin on iPad are not getting past the loading screen.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 02, 2017, 04:37:06 pm »

Have you tried this recently? Ipad browsers had that problem, but it was assumed to be fixed.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 02, 2017, 06:16:13 pm »

I do agree that I believe the more casual audiences will be turned off and I think the subscription system will play a big part in that. Also initial impressions with casual people is not so positive if Reddit is anything to go by.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 02, 2017, 06:35:02 pm »
+1

When you resign, it should just automatically show this image to your opponent:

before ending the game.

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 02, 2017, 06:36:19 pm »

What browsers are supported? Safari and Dolphin on iPad are not getting past the loading screen.
See http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=895.0

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 02, 2017, 06:37:55 pm »

Have you tried this recently? Ipad browsers had that problem, but it was assumed to be fixed.

Well, I consider January 1st recent but I just tried it again and same issue. I see the black and white dominion castle and spinner and nothing else, ever. It's all I've ever seen of the new system.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 02, 2017, 07:31:44 pm »

Will we be able to play dominion online at http://playdominion.com/ on Jan 1, 2017? If not, which address will it be?

Everyone will be notified about all the changes within the 31st of December, don't worry and check your emails :)

I don't have access to the email I used for goko. I used a fake email because I never intended to spend money on their crap.  But it is taking me too many clicks to figure out where this new online implementation resides.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14  All

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.