Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14  All

Author Topic: The Dominion online 2017 thread  (Read 112860 times)

iamsparticus

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Re: The Dominion online 2017 threada table sy
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2016, 06:55:34 pm »

Thank You!

My main concern is having talent compatibility again, having the option to play players of similar levels whether that is through a table system or something similar to isotropic days. Having additional playing options (veto mode, veto list, point trackers etc.)

MF was getting better and responsive to input, but they built a fundamentally poor product.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
Re: The Dominion online 2017 thread
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2016, 07:22:58 pm »

Too encourage addiction every game should be worth Credits and after you earn so many credits you can buy promos /expansions. Also the expansion prices should be lowered significantly.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2016, 08:27:29 pm »
+2

Too encourage addiction every game should be worth Credits and after you earn so many credits you can buy promos /expansions. Also the expansion prices should be lowered significantly.

The prices should be lowered significantly, but it wouldn't be a very good business model to give the expansions away for free. It works for other games because they have different circumstances (usually a pay-to-win element in the game and better opportunities for branding).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2016, 08:30:07 pm »
+1

The prices should be lowered significantly, but it wouldn't be a very good business model to give the expansions away for free. It works for other games because they have different circumstances (usually a pay-to-win element in the game and better opportunities for branding).

I like the current payment model, and not just because it means I don't have to buy a new version every time there's a new owner.  That said, MF's prices are a bit steep.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2016, 08:37:07 pm »

Why not just make it open source? More people will play = more people buy expansions = profit

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2016, 09:04:52 pm »
+6

Do the new guys know how Empires will work so they can take that into account?
For me, now, the future version is just not a great topic. I don't want to tell you about it, and I know even "which questions did he answer" tells you something. So I mean, feel free to talk about it, but don't expect me to. I look forward to the future; we want everything to go great, in our conception of what that means; if it doesn't we will be more disappointed than you; yes we knew about your concerns already but feel free to repeat them.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2016, 07:44:06 am »

I guess I misunderstood the purpose of this thread then, sorry about that.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2016, 09:49:51 am »
+1

Since the new version comes out in January I do wonder how many expansions will be implemented and when we can expect Empires. I guess there is no easy way to tell since we have no idea how long it will take the new developer to make the game.
If the new people are any good, and that is certainly the idea, then all expansions including Empires will be up as of day one.

I do want to say that I feel sorry for MF though. I'm sure they spent a lot of time and money in Dominion expecting to hold onto the license for much longer. I doubt whatever time and money investment they put in Adventures they will make back even if they charge like $20 for it which I would not be surprised in the least if they did.
One thing I want to put out here somewhere, is: Jay signed Funsockets aka Goko; they died and the company became someone named Kate (maybe she had been behind the scenes earlier, but I don't think so, and anyway Funsockets was presented to me as a particular group of people sans her, with Ted in charge); Kate hired Making Fun. From my perspective, a random stranger picked who would make online Dominion. I was still behind them for a while; they got a good long chance.

I considered dropping them, then waited a few months, and was uh shall we say not satisfied with how those months went. I decided I was really done but wait, asked my playtesters, who were 100% behind it, then asked 16 semi-random people who post in this sub-forum. The overwhelming message was 1) "I have no faith in those guys," and 2) "Please tell me there will be no time without online Dominion."

This is so great, it's like a wild story of reincarnation and failure. 

You guys are suuuuuuuuuuper optimistic if you're expecting to get Adventures in March.  March is the planned release date that was hanging on the wall in the break room probably, and immediately slips if that wall fixture is reference in the context of having just lost their contract.  Morale and allocation to other irons in Funsockets' fire probably slips it at least a month, probably two.  The only reason expect it to happen at all is because it makes them money.  But if they really liked money they'd make more quality work in general, so I think it's even possible they don't bother finishing it at all. 

Compared to so much other software problems, implementing expansions seems trivial to me, so the delay on adventures was a big reason this has been bad.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2016, 03:22:07 pm »

You guys are suuuuuuuuuuper optimistic if you're expecting to get Adventures in March.

Since Adventures will probably be split up into several "buy expansions" anyway it could be released bit by bit. Maybe no Travellers in the first-releaset set if they have some remaining issues with those to fix for example, etc.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2016, 03:24:20 pm »

You guys are suuuuuuuuuuper optimistic if you're expecting to get Adventures in March.

Since Adventures will probably be split up into several "buy expansions" anyway it could be released bit by bit. Maybe no Travellers in the first-releaset set if they have some remaining issues with those to fix for example, etc.

Does Making Fun still sell half-expansions like Goko did? I thought I read that they weren't doing that. The campaign levels are still split like that, but I'm not certain you can buy part of a set anymore.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2016, 03:28:14 pm »
+1

Does Making Fun still sell half-expansions like Goko did? I thought I read that they weren't doing that. The campaign levels are still split like that, but I'm not certain you can buy part of a set anymore.

Yes, that went away at some point (maybe the grand re-pricing).

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2016, 03:44:25 pm »

Ah, thanks, I didn't know that. Then I guess they wouldn't do that again just for Adventures.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2016, 04:35:55 pm »

Ah, thanks, I didn't know that. Then I guess they wouldn't do that again just for Adventures.

Uuuuunless progress on it slows so much they do it just to make sure they monetize before things expire.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2016, 05:39:40 pm »
+9

The purpose of the thread was to let people know this was coming. I thought I could answer questions but did not anticipate the direction some of the questions would take. I will answer your question anyway, I am so friendly.

The new guys will know exactly as much about Empires as they have to, exactly as soon as they have to (whether that's in the past or future), in order to take it into account exactly the perfect amount.

Hooray!

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2016, 05:40:46 pm »
+2

They were not planning to split it. The campaigns still use half each in act 1 and act 2.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2016, 06:50:35 pm »

The purpose of the thread was to let people know this was coming. I thought I could answer questions but did not anticipate the direction some of the questions would take. I will answer your question anyway, I am so friendly.

The new guys will know exactly as much about Empires as they have to, exactly as soon as they have to (whether that's in the past or future), in order to take it into account exactly the perfect amount.

Hooray!
Ah but do they know more or less than the average F.ds member?  8)
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2016, 07:06:21 pm »
+4

Hooray!
Ah but do they know more or less than the average F.ds member?  8)

They know a lot, at least compared to people who know little.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2016, 05:24:26 pm »

A question for anybody who knows: is there an example of a good commercial desktop client that's adapted from a physical expandable card game? I have an easy time thinking of non-desktop examples (like the Ascension iOS client), non-adapted examples (like Hearthstone), non-commercial examples (like isotropic), but I can't off-hand think of one that does them all at once.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2016, 05:28:45 pm »

PKCards used to. Before they stopped promoting the game. That was a CCG/TCG that came out about the same time as Dominion.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2016, 05:34:10 pm »

A question for anybody who knows: is there an example of a good commercial desktop client that's adapted from a physical expandable card game? I have an easy time thinking of non-desktop examples (like the Ascension iOS client), non-adapted examples (like Hearthstone), non-commercial examples (like isotropic), but I can't off-hand think of one that does them all at once.

MTGO?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2016, 05:45:16 pm »
+1

MTGO?

I have never heard anybody call MTGO well made. At least it works.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2016, 05:46:48 pm »

MTGO?

People I know who have played MTGO say the client is awful.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2016, 06:06:38 pm »

It is awful. I played a couple of times on it but have found it rather confusing to use.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2016, 06:19:01 pm »
+1

I personally don't mind the MTGO client.

I think I'm the only one I've ever heard espouse that opinion.

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2016, 06:22:01 pm »

I personally don't mind the MTGO client.

I think I'm the only one I've ever heard espouse that opinion.
Technically true, because we are all WW.
Thus if anyone else said it, then it would still be you espousing that opinion.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14  All

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.