Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14  All

Author Topic: The Dominion online 2017 thread  (Read 112859 times)

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Re: The Dominion online 2017 thread
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2016, 01:34:15 am »
+19

Will there be any overlap between the two versions, or are we just going to have to hope this new developer is going to have a workable game ready right at the start of the new year?
There is no time period planned for having both versions available at once.

The worst case is I would ask one of the entities that previously had free online Dominion to put it up again for the interim.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2016, 01:38:37 am »
+2

Is the new developer porting over the same campaigns from MF, or creating their own?  I don't want to add all that to the wiki just to have to redo it all next year.
I designed almost all of the campaigns levels, but not quite all of them. So I'll be replacing those. It's uh. Early sets only, some 10-20 levels total; I'd have to check to know which ones. They are from the Funsockets days and possibly I get to have them but probably I replace them anyway.

The flavor text was originally from Wei-Hwa's girlfriend working for Funsockets; I don't pay attention to that but maybe/probably it's been changed since then, but whatever, we will have new text or no text.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2016, 03:17:35 am »

Redesigning from scratch is rarely a good idea (you'll end up making the same mistake), I hope there's enough to salvage (get it?) :)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2016, 03:54:22 am »

Will there be any overlap between the two versions, or are we just going to have to hope this new developer is going to have a workable game ready right at the start of the new year?
There is no time period planned for having both versions available at once.

The worst case is I would ask one of the entities that previously had free online Dominion to put it up again for the interim.
Was Isotropic still being used privately to test new cards? If that's the case, it won't be real hard to get it going again. :)

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2016, 04:07:17 am »
+6

Welcome to 2016, the year where a lot is happening to the world of Dominion:
Rio Grande launch new expansion, Making Fun launch the previous one and are launched into space themselves.
That's a lot of news for a couple of days.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2016, 04:15:03 am »
+1

Was Isotropic still being used privately to test new cards? If that's the case, it won't be real hard to get it going again. :)
Do not hold out hope for isotropic, that's my advice. But, yes and no, Doug Z. worked on it for a while, but got busy at a certain point and stopped updating.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • See you in the Outpost
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2016, 04:18:08 am »
+1

Does Rio Grande already have the contract with the new guys or are you still looking for ones/choosing between someone?

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2016, 04:40:02 am »
+8

Does Rio Grande already have the contract with the new guys or are you still looking for ones/choosing between someone?
I'm going to leave announcements up to others as usual. And uh I am not seeing the upside of announcing anything until much much closer to the release date. If I think the players need to know something (as I did this thing, that we weren't staying with MF), I will get it said.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2016, 04:44:23 am »

Do not hold out hope for isotropic, that's my advice. But, yes and no, Doug Z. worked on it for a while, but got busy at a certain point and stopped updating.
I always hold out hope for Isotropic, mainly for nostalgic reasons. I do miss the fake images, like Reynard the Fox as Swindler and MtG's Militia.

I am pretty excited though and reluctantly positive. :)

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2016, 06:59:25 am »

I think the UI needs to be designed before the look pretty gets any attention. If dougz is involved, that would be magical for playability.

I think the UI is essential in looking pretty, so they should design it so that it's both pretty and functional.

Do the new guys know how Empires will work so they can take that into account?

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • See you in the Outpost
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2016, 07:08:10 am »

Do the new guys know how Empires will work so they can take that into account?

I see what you've done here :P

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2016, 01:15:40 pm »
+11

So, since Donald alluded to the various random board members that were consulted, I'll now more openly ask the question that I alluded to in my mail back to him:

Is there any chance that a plucky band of open source adventurers might have a chance to at least bid on bringing balance to the online Dominion universe?

I don't know whether or not the willingness is there, but I'm absolutely certain the talent is available among various and numerous members of the forum.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2016, 01:25:17 pm »
+2

So, since Donald alluded to the various random board members that were consulted, I'll now more openly ask the question that I alluded to in my mail back to him:

Is there any chance that a plucky band of open source adventurers might have a chance to at least bid on bringing balance to the online Dominion universe?

I don't know whether or not the willingness is there, but I'm absolutely certain the talent is available among various and numerous members of the forum.

But is the business background there?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2016, 01:49:37 pm »
+1

An entirely reasonable question.  But most of business is math plus marketing plus customer service, and I don't think that much marketing is needed... so maybe?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2016, 02:29:38 pm »
+8

Whatever the interface ends up being, I'd really like one feature from Goko/MF to be there - the feeling that you're actually playing with cards. As much as Iso looked a lot more convenient and easy to use, it still looked like you were triggering lines of code with words or pictures rather than playing a card game. So I do want to see a play area and proportional card images and that kind of thing.

Otherwise, I'd be really surprised if convenience isn't key. Logs, misclick prevention, undo, etc... but you guys already know this.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2016, 02:50:04 pm »

Is anyone here familiar with Ascension's online game? (I'm not) I've heard that it is quite popular. I think Isotropic's sideboard supply was better for screen space, but you lose the 18+ stacks of cards on the table illusion given by the Goko/MF client.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2016, 02:54:44 pm »
+2

I think Isotropic's sideboard supply was better for screen space

People often forget that isotropic actually had two different interfaces; the image-based one and the text-based one. The text-based interface had no sideboard.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2016, 03:00:23 pm »

People often forget that isotropic actually had two different interfaces; the image-based one and the text-based one. The text-based interface had no sideboard.
I used the text-based on my iPod (for speed reasons) and honestly don't remember what it looked like because it was just difficult to use.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2016, 04:54:53 pm »

seeing BGG go downright savage on the mobile app made me wonder if the other shoe would drop.  that was the exact audience they needed to win over, and that crowd was way nastier to MF than we were!

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2016, 05:16:01 pm »
+2

If something similar to the Making Fun client/server model is used, what I would like most to see is a Free Software client that the company develops in the open with the possibility to accept contributions from others, and with an API that makes it possible to create other clients by third parts. Finally I'll be able to play Dominion inside Emacs! :-) Also, opens up for third-party robots. (The server software would be closed and non-free.)

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2016, 05:20:04 pm »
+2

Making Fun writes in the linked message: "We understand that they have engaged a different developer to create a new Dominion Online for 2017, and that development started several months ago."  I have no idea if they have understood correctly.

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +807
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2016, 05:36:27 pm »
+1

I used the text-based on my iPod (for speed reasons) and honestly don't remember what it looked like because it was just difficult to use.

You can always watch some old WW videos (randomly picking one):
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2016, 06:00:53 pm »

Awesome news!  To MF's credit, the client has gotten way better lately, and is 100% playable for me.  It's become an Ok product.  But nonetheless I am glad for the change, for all the reasons mentioned.

Is it too early to start requesting features/changes?  Here are a couple major ones off the top of my head:
  • Pretty much everything in this thread
  • I don't care for 1-player/AI whatsoever (obviously, others probably love it, but I just feel multiplayer should take large priority)
  • Tablet-compatibility, if possible
  • A sustainable financial model (unless the current one is). All I know is I play a LOT of Dominion, but haven't spent money on it in like 2 years. I would think that should probably change.
  • Make game data publicly-available (read-only)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2016, 06:04:24 pm »
+2

Making Fun writes in the linked message: "We understand that they have engaged a different developer to create a new Dominion Online for 2017, and that development started several months ago."  I have no idea if they have understood correctly.

True, though Donald started the thread with "We... will have someone else not yet specified."

I'm interested either way.  And I really think f.DS could do this.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2016, 06:16:06 pm »
+1

Awesome news!  To MF's credit, the client has gotten way better lately, and is 100% playable for me.  It's become an Ok product.  But nonetheless I am glad for the change, for all the reasons mentioned.

Is it too early to start requesting features/changes?  Here are a couple major ones off the top of my head:
  • Pretty much everything in this thread
  • I don't care for 1-player/AI whatsoever (obviously, others probably love it, but I just feel multiplayer should take large priority)
  • Tablet-compatibility, if possible
  • A sustainable financial model (unless the current one is). All I know is I play a LOT of Dominion, but haven't spent money on it in like 2 years. I would think that should probably change.
  • Make game data publicly-available (read-only)

Well, two expansions are coming out, so you will be spending money soon.

I have some ideas to make money off online Dominion. First, cut the prices of old expansions significantly. I'm thinking $2 for small and $4 for large. This encourages casual gamers to invest in the game. I would price Adventures at $8 since it is fairly new and Empires at $15 since this will be the first time it is offered online and its less than a year old for the physical version.

Second have tournaments to win promos and charge $1 to enter. Cap it at 16 players and give everyone who participates a $.50 credit towards an expansion. Not everyone well use this credit so this should be a very profitable idea. Implement the base art cards as a promo and allow first place to choose 3 promos, 2nd two promos and third would get one promo. There should also be another way to get promos like grinding for them.

Just my thoughts.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 06:19:26 pm by Beyond Awesome »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.