Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14  All

Author Topic: The Dominion online 2017 thread  (Read 112903 times)

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
The Dominion online 2017 thread
« on: February 01, 2016, 07:09:19 pm »
+45

People may have questions or just want to say stuff and well here is a place.

We are not renewing the contract with MF and will have someone else as yet to be specified.

http://forum.makingfun.com/showthread.php?8711-2016-plan-future

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
Re: The Dominion online 2017 thread
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 07:28:18 pm »

Party!

I hope that the expansions will be free and that you have to pay to get rid of ads. Hopefully this way dominion online will become more mainstream and the company will make more money long term. I also hope that the company knows what it is doing.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 07:33:04 pm by Limetime »

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 07:34:04 pm »

It also means that we will not see Empires online before 2017 though.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Limetime

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 07:41:23 pm »
+16

It also means that we will not see Empires online before 2017 though.
I wouldn't expect this with making fun in the first place.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 07:46:33 pm »
+2

Um ... wow?

I assume this move wasn't taken lightly. I don't think we need to belabor the point of why we are not Goko or Making Fun's greatest fans, but there's still a risk involved in switching horses. Given that I doubt Donald and Jay want a repeat of the original Goko release, I have to assume that there's a reason they trust the new developer to deliver more than empty promises. So is it someone with a track record of delivering? Someone who has produced digital tabletop games already? Someone who has enough servers to handle some actual load?

Also, I can't imagine that they would be giving up on all the platforms currently on offer, so it has to be someone who can manage something that runs on a computer (either web or dedicated client) as well as a tablet app.

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 07:50:16 pm »
+1

Also, I can't imagine that they would be giving up on all the platforms currently on offer, so it has to be someone who can manage something that runs on a computer (either web or dedicated client) as well as a tablet app.

I have to say that the first thought I had when I first heard of this was "please don't take away my linux client". I'd rather have MF and be able to play on linux than a professional, well-made client that I could only play on Windows, mostly because I consider that not being able to play. I also understand that it makes no business sense whatsoever for the relevant parties to act similarly.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 07:56:05 pm »
+3

Seriously? I'm honestly disappointed. MF have been consistently making good progress. We are also so close to getting Adventures online. If we switch again, who knows how long that will take.

EDIT: Okay, it looks like they'll have time to do Adventures. Can you provide any details on the new developer?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 08:00:46 pm by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 08:04:17 pm »
+4

Seriously? I'm honestly disappointed. MF have been consistently making good progress. We are also so close to getting Adventures online. If we switch again, who knows how long that will take.

They will have over a year to develop it before we have to say goodbye to Making Fun. We should (?!?) get Adventures in March.

Hopefully the next version does not try to copy the current interface just for the sake of sameness. Especially the tray and the fanned-out hands. Oh, and the creepy avatars.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 08:11:51 pm »
+3

Well that was both unexpected and expected.

My take on why Goko/MF went poorly compared to isotropic is that in the case of isotropic, it wasn't the _only_ online Dominion client, but the best of several, and the others were pretty bad. When there's only one game in town, if you're unlucky and they don't do a good job, there's no alternative. This seems like a problem that plagues licensed clients, and unfortunately I don't have a solution. :(

My dream scenario is to give up on multi-platform. Hire a company with a strong track record to make an iOS or _maybe_ iOS+Android client, the idea being to capture the high-volume mobile market. The mobile client should tick the boxes that mobile players care about, like offline play vs AI. Then allow the desktop market to be unrestricted as it was pre-Goko (which could mean an isotropic revival if dougz is interested, but also allows somebody else to try if they want). This is based on my unsupported belief that there's more money available selling on mobile than on desktop.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 08:13:28 pm by blueblimp »

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 08:35:29 pm »
+1

EDIT: Okay, it looks like they'll have time to do Adventures. Can you provide any details on the new developer?

It will be sad if, by December, Making Fun has a fairly robust client complete with Adventures only to have us thrown into uncharted waters again. I wonder to what extent this move was motivated by a desire to dissociate Dominion Online with any negative reputation MF might have.

Given that Adventures was released in April and the target release date for Empires is April, it would seem that the time it would take to bring Empires online should be around the time it will have taken to bring Adventures online on MF Dominion Online (MF is claiming that will be around March).

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 08:52:51 pm »
+2

We are not renewing the contract with MF and will have someone else as yet to be specified.

Thank you! This is very exciting!

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 08:55:06 pm »
+7

2017: The year of missing Making Fun.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 09:14:40 pm »
+1

When will we get information about the pricing structure of the new license holder?
Anyway, I'm very thankful for purchases under Goko carrying over, as well as the MF version staying up till the end of the year, and them even still implementing adventures.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 10:04:59 pm »
+11

2017: The year of missing Making Fun.
Wait, is isotropic going down?

Limetime

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 10:06:20 pm »

Who supports a system where Rio grande approves of multiple clients so that they can compete and get better? Rio grande would get a certain percentage of profit of course.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2016, 10:25:43 pm »

I'm very thankful for purchases under Goko carrying over,
As I read it, it's not confirmed that Goko/MF purchases will transfer to the new license holder. The quote from the link is "We will provide the Dominion database to Donald and Jay and/or their new developer to allow them to [...] understand your purchase history". The new license holder could choose to ignore purchase history, or maybe offer to transfer at a discount compared to full price.

My guess is that if the new license holder does support desktop OSes, they won't offer full credit for past purchases. If they did, they'd be getting $0 for those users, and it's hard to imagine that being a good business decision for them. (That's part of why my ideal scenario involves the licensed version being specifically for mobile platforms.)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 10:27:56 pm by blueblimp »

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2016, 10:30:03 pm »
+14

If you purchase or have already purchased a Dominion expansion set in v1 or v2 you will also have it in the new 2017 Dominion experience. Just as we honored all v1 purchases in our new v2, Donald and Jay have committed to honoring your previous purchases in their new version.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2016, 10:58:14 pm »
+2

That's very good news, so all of us can safely purchase Adventures and have it transfer over.

Since the new version comes out in January I do wonder how many expansions will be implemented and when we can expect Empires. I guess there is no easy way to tell since we have no idea how long it will take the new developer to make the game.

If they get DougZ involved this time though, I'm guessing everything will be up and running by January.

So,anyway, what is everyone's thoughts on this?

Overall, I feel this is a good thing. MF has shown improvements, but they have been super, super slow to improve and have taken forever to releases Adventures. Also, many glaring UI issues remain like Scheme, buttons being in easy to mislick places, having to top deck cards from Navigator and whatnot.

If we get a good UI then I think we're set. I guess let's see what happens. This also could be a total bust for everyone.

I do want to say that I feel sorry for MF though. I'm sure they spent a lot of time and money in Dominion expecting to hold onto the license for much longer. I doubt whatever time and money investment they put in Adventures they will make back even if they charge like $20 for it which I would not be surprised in the least if they did.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 11:00:26 pm by Beyond Awesome »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2016, 11:05:59 pm »

I do want to say that I feel sorry for MF though. I'm sure they spent a lot of time and money in Dominion expecting to hold onto the license for much longer. I doubt whatever time and money investment they put in Adventures they will make back even if they charge like $20 for it which I would not be surprised in the least if they did.

People are still going to be buying expansions over the next year, especially given the next people will be honoring them.  They won't be completely broke.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2016, 11:15:34 pm »

Will there be any overlap between the two versions, or are we just going to have to hope this new developer is going to have a workable game ready right at the start of the new year?

With well over a year to develop it I wouldn't be surprised if it worked out of the box, but there's been a... poor track record with this stuff in the last two versions.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2016, 12:14:57 am »
+1

I think the UI needs to be designed before the look pretty gets any attention. If dougz is involved, that would be magical for playability.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2016, 12:52:44 am »
+2

I have to say that the first thought I had when I first heard of this was "please don't take away my linux client". I'd rather have MF and be able to play on linux than a professional, well-made client that I could only play on Windows, mostly because I consider that not being able to play. I also understand that it makes no business sense whatsoever for the relevant parties to act similarly.

Really?  I use Linux too but ever since MF went to Unity I've been thinking, "Can we please have the webapp back?"  If the new dev goes back to html5+js for desktop then we can have a new Salvager if we want/need it.  Also they'll automagically support any OS where you can install a supported browser, which ought to cover most anyone.  Ideally they'd do a webapp for desktop users plus ios and android apps but that might be more work than they have the resources for.  I guess we'll see.
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2016, 12:54:48 am »
+1

Question for Donald:

Is the new developer porting over the same campaigns from MF, or creating their own?  I don't want to add all that to the wiki just to have to redo it all next year.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2016, 01:18:12 am »
+2

When will we get information about the pricing structure of the new license holder?
I don't know, but probably not until close to the release date. Jan 1 would be the most generous thing for MF.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2016, 01:32:52 am »
+30

Since the new version comes out in January I do wonder how many expansions will be implemented and when we can expect Empires. I guess there is no easy way to tell since we have no idea how long it will take the new developer to make the game.
If the new people are any good, and that is certainly the idea, then all expansions including Empires will be up as of day one.

One thing I want to put out here somewhere, is: Jay signed Funsockets aka Goko; they died and the company became someone named Kate (maybe she had been behind the scenes earlier, but I don't think so, and anyway Funsockets was presented to me as a particular group of people sans her, with Ted in charge); Kate hired Making Fun. From my perspective, a random stranger picked who would make online Dominion. I was still behind them for a while; they got a good long chance.

I considered dropping them, then waited a few months, and was uh shall we say not satisfied with how those months went. I decided I was really done but wait, asked my playtesters, who were 100% behind it, then asked 16 semi-random people who post in this sub-forum. The overwhelming message was 1) "I have no faith in those guys," and 2) "Please tell me there will be no time without online Dominion."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14  All

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.