Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Storage solutions with Empires  (Read 19027 times)

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +514
    • View Profile
Re: Storage solutions with Empires
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2016, 09:11:37 pm »
+1

I made some out of cardboard. While my wife was watching Making a Murderer in the next room, so in my mind Dominion will forever be associated with Steve Avery.

Have a link.

This looks pretty spiffy -- it looks like the kingdom cards are packed in pretty tightly on the right side there, yeah? Do you have any trouble getting them out to play with them or closing the box? Or are they just not really all that tight?

They aren't that tight - the box closes with no issues and there's enough space on the farthest right row to get them out easily, but a little harder for the middle one. The biggest issue is that the dividers are made out of regular printer paper so they tend to get crinkled and folded over (I skimped, I will probably go back later and make some better ones.)

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2016, 10:49:25 pm »
+3

Here's what I use - three two-rowed baseball card boxes (holds everything including Empires, but no mats [and this is 2 pictures of 1 of the boxes, and not the one with Empires, nice try]). The cards are all in FFG sleeves. On the bottom left are Myke Atkinson's dividers. They're printed on thick paper, with a penny sleeve over top of them for a little added protection against wear. It's very easy to make this setup modular and swap things around, so I can take any three or four expansions to game night in just one box. Base cards are carried in a separate small box.

On the right are my old custom dividers I made back when I had far too much time. I like that everything is larger on them, but they're too short (they were designed back when my cards were unsleeved). I'm slowing replacing them with the Atkinson dividers, which I will eventually color at the top with highlighters.

One of these days I think I'll draw the Dominion logo on top of all the boxes, and ring the box lid with the expansion symbols.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 10:52:51 pm by Voltaire »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2016, 11:10:32 pm »
+1

Oh dear.  You have ordered those by expansion, then name, as opposed to by expansion, then by cost, then by name.  This makes me sad.  :(
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2016, 11:12:46 pm »
+1

Oh dear.  You have ordered those by expansion, then name, as opposed to by expansion, then by cost, then by name.  This makes me sad.  :(

Why does it make you sad that I sort things in the way that results in the quickest set-up time?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2016, 11:16:58 pm »

Why does it make you sad that I sort things in the way that results in the quickest set-up time?

It would be quicker if it were by cost before it were by name!  That's how they're lined up in my brain!  I'm expecting Plaza after Advisor, not Baker!
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2016, 11:24:35 pm »
+3

You mean you all don't just alphabetize all of them, so you can use a randomizer to find the cards alphabetically?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2016, 11:26:32 pm »
+1

You mean you all don't just alphabetize all of them, so you can use a randomizer to find the cards alphabetically?

I used to, when I stored everything in one box. But sorting by expansion lets me bring a nice variety that's still coherent, without lugging way too much weight to game night.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2016, 09:45:38 am »
+3

I have everything sorted by expansion, randomly, without labels.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2016, 09:57:24 am »

With everything in one box, I sort by cost first and then alphabetically. That is how the couple randomizers I use sort them in the results, so it seems good to me.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2016, 10:01:39 am »

...this is how it begins, isn't it. AHEM. Anyways...

On the bottom left are Myke Atkinson's dividers. They're printed on thick paper, with a penny sleeve over top of them for a little added protection against wear.

So one of the issues I had with my first dividers was that that design didn't extend well to vertical dividers -- I just had my randomizer card in a sleeve and used tape and regular paper to make a tab. There were other issues with that as well.

But just sticking a sleeve over the divider, that's a nice idea.

Thing is, one of my IRL friends whose set I borrow for my tournaments uses the same boxes you do, and has similar dividers (they're just index cards that are hand-written, but it's the same idea). I really like having tabbed dividers because you can see a lot more card names that way (my PlexiGlas™ dividers are transparent which serves the same purpose) so I'm a little apprehensive about how a tabbed divider would look with a sleeve over it.

The fact that there are so many different ideas out there for dividers and so many people are going to have room for Empires makes me optimistic that changing dividers will help. I should be able to do a quick study to see how much room I'll save by doing this and whether or not it will be enough. :)
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2016, 10:13:20 am »
+2

Here's what I use - three two-rowed baseball card boxes...

This is also the storage solution I use.

I used to store cards alphabetically by expansion, but have changed to just alphabetically. I keep a regular Dominion box for transporting cards that I am going to use for a particular gaming session. This way I do not bring everything and do not overwhelm new-ish players with dozens of cards and accessories we are not even going to touch.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2016, 10:34:14 am »

I just have a small bookshelf with all the expansions that I own.

ObtusePunubiris

• Bishop
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2016, 10:43:42 am »
+1

My dividers are on heavy card stock printed from Sumpfork's tab generator
http://domtabs.sandflea.org/
This actually looks pretty nice. I will have to do some experimentation on these -- last I saw this generator it didn't support vertical dividers so this solution is something new to me that might work well. I may be able to get away with experimenting with different types of paper to see what's the thinnest thing I like, then trying to calculate how much space that will save me. While I'm reluctant to change my dividers again, it's mostly because I spent a ton of time on the ones I currently have, which isn't actually a good reason. The PlexiGlas isn't perfect and having opaque, tabbed, double-sided dividers might be a good thing.
I use these and absolutely love them.  If you have a bit of money to spend, just have them printed on regular paper and then laminated.  They hold up well, but aren't too thick.  Otherwise, using unlaminated card stock is a good second option.  My first set was on card stock and held up fairly well.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2016, 11:09:46 am »
+2

...this is how it begins, isn't it. AHEM. Anyways...

On the bottom left are Myke Atkinson's dividers. They're printed on thick paper, with a penny sleeve over top of them for a little added protection against wear.

So one of the issues I had with my first dividers was that that design didn't extend well to vertical dividers -- I just had my randomizer card in a sleeve and used tape and regular paper to make a tab. There were other issues with that as well.

I certainly don't think tabbed dividers would work well with my system - not sure on a solution there. For tabs, it sounds like what you need is lamination.

(also, not sorry for talking about sorting Dominion in a thread about storing Dominion, an inherently related topic  :P)

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2016, 09:06:29 pm »

I went to the copy shop today and got a couple of sheets of various sizes of cardstock. The "110 lbs" cardstock seemed sturdy enough, though maybe the tabs might wear down after a while, I'm not sure...

In any case, I measured the thickness of these vs. the ones I currently have and found it should give me room for 220 more cards. This is sort of a conservative guess so hopefully it will be a little more in practice, and I may have a little bit of wiggle room.

Over the next couple of weekends I'll get the dividers printed and start the very long process of cutting them out -- I want tabbed dividers so there will have to be a lot of cutting done by hand...

nana-king

• Swindler
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2016, 09:19:31 pm »
+1

I went to the copy shop today and got a couple of sheets of various sizes of cardstock. The "110 lbs" cardstock seemed sturdy enough, though maybe the tabs might wear down after a while, I'm not sure...

In any case, I measured the thickness of these vs. the ones I currently have and found it should give me room for 220 more cards. This is sort of a conservative guess so hopefully it will be a little more in practice, and I may have a little bit of wiggle room.

Over the next couple of weekends I'll get the dividers printed and start the very long process of cutting them out -- I want tabbed dividers so there will have to be a lot of cutting done by hand...

Can you laminate them to cut down on wear?  Or would that add too much to the thickness?  You can buy sheets of laminate paper for pretty cheap.  Though being married to a teacher might give you laminater machine privileges. 

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2016, 09:21:21 pm »

Can you laminate them to cut down on wear?  Or would that add too much to the thickness?  You can buy sheets of laminate paper for pretty cheap.  Though being married to a teacher might give you laminater machine privileges.

These are good questions that I do not know the answers to. I will find out.

ObtusePunubiris

• Bishop
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2016, 12:20:04 am »
+1

These are good questions that I do not know the answers to. I will find out.

Actually, check out Reply #37, above.  I answer both of those questions.

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2016, 12:42:36 pm »
+1

Having cut these out twice now (first group wasn't in color and I didn't care for it), you can do most of the cutting with a sheet cutter. Only the tab cut needs to be done by hand. I think I did the whole set in 2 or 3 hours. I have not laminated. The dividers in the front and back tend to get beat up the worst.
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2016, 04:55:19 pm »
+4

So here's mine.

Primary view:

It's a Forge Steel toolbox.  The main section is all the kingdom cards (not arranged by expansion, though they used to be), to the right are the events and mats etc. 
Individual card dividers are BCW card dividers labelled (oh the timesink) with printed-off scans of the labels from the boxes stuck to them. 

Separating each column (and lending strength in general) are a grid of interlocking plastic strips, hard to describe and I confess I have no idea where they came from, they were discovered by my wonderful mother:

Closed views:

Below the main section, bottom left and bottom right (either side of the handle) are all the non-kingdom cards, Spoils, Ruins, Base.  For Provinces you take out the whole bottom left thing (string to lift them all out at once) to get all the relevant base cards and for Colony games you take out the whole bottom right (extra set of Estates/Duchies/Provinces there).  You have to pick and choose a bit if you need Potions and Ruins and Colonies or something.

Empires should fit, there's more space remaining in the main section than there looks, but I may also have to take one set of base cards out of one of the sections (who needs two distinct sets!) and use that space for new kingdom cards.  Many more cards after Empires, I'm screwed!

The brown thing is a pouch for all the tokens that straps to the handle:

Overall it works pretty well, I'm pretty proud of the construction (hence the showing off), but I'll be sad when inevitably the expansions overflow it!  There are bigger variants of the Forge Steel toolbox, but it's heavy enough now that I've torn between making it bigger and just starting a new box.  Or maybe I should just stop buying expansions.

Anyway, there you are.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2016, 05:58:40 pm »
+4

So here's mine.

That's a pretty big storage solution for just one card.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2016, 06:09:21 pm »
+2

So here's mine.

Obligatory mostly-incomprehensible unfunny Awaclus joke.
FTFY.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2016, 06:14:43 pm »

So I'm looking for "Forge Steel Toolbox" and I'm not finding anything similar to what you have here... are there some key words I'm missing?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2016, 06:18:14 pm »

So here's mine.

Obligatory mostly-incomprehensible unfunny Awaclus joke.
FTFY.

>mostly-incomprehensible

You don't really even have to read the part that I wrote after the quote to tell what the joke is there.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2016, 06:21:53 pm »
+5

>mostly-incomprehensible

You don't really even have to read the part that I wrote after the quote to tell what the joke is there.
I can figure out that joke without seeing your post at all.

So, if you think about it, your post is just completely redundant there. You could just sit back and let the word "mine" do its work by itself.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.477 seconds with 21 queries.