Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Murder Mystery  (Read 2001 times)

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
Murder Mystery
« on: February 01, 2016, 12:42:16 pm »

Hey everyone!

I was thinking of hosting a murder mystery for some of my friends and was wondering if anyone here has either hosted a murder mystery, or participated in one they thought was a lot of fun.  Right now I'm trying to either find a script online for free that I could edit, or find a good one for free online that I wouldn't have to edit.

If anyone has any experience, I would gladly hear your thoughts.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
Re: Murder Mystery
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 01:53:23 pm »
+2

My girlfriend and I did hastily organize a Mystery dinner one year ago. It was pretty open-format, where every player got some objectives and intelligence and had to achieve them. We downloaded most of it from an Italian website - I had found some English ones that had better infrastructure (ready player letters, items and so on) but I didn't have the time to do the translating job, so we went with it. It went over pretty well, the plot didn't have a "starting crime", but we pretty soon had some drug contraband, art thievery and murder going on. (not to mention family drama)  ;D
Some suggestions:
- Don't try to organize both the game and the dinner, delegate away the dinner if you can.  ;) (you can have the guests bring their own food, for example)
- Explain well the objectives, rules and stuff to the players, possibly in written form since you won't have time to do a debriefing to each player before dinner starts. I told the guests what kind of character they had so that they could dress accordingly, but I didn't tell them the objectives and secrets to avoid spoilers (thay all knew each other).
- Be ready to make up rules as you go - this is pretty much like DungeonMastering: the players will come to you with all sorts of weird ideas, and you'll have to decide what is ok and what is not, and how to handle it.
- Fit the characters to the players  :)
- You won't be able to organize it in less than a week, and I suggest you take more time, really.  ;D
Good luck!

PS: The only site I can remember looking at is http://www.freeformgames.com/. They have a couple games that are free to download, and they provide you with almost everything you need. :)

gkrieg13

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 04:25:01 pm »
+3

For anyone who is curious:

We had the murder mystery last night and it went really well!  In the end, we chose to do the way out west from freeformgames.com.  They gave us everything we needed.  There were a few gaps because they take out a few characters to make it a free version, but those were easy to get around by knowing the plot and answering individual's questions.

I'm planning to write my own murder mystery now!  I'm thinking of making it Heroes themed.  Most of the people who would come wouldn't know the show, and it seems easier to start with relationships already defined between people.  I think using a set of already developed characters and just changing a few things so that it is harder to determine who you can trust etc. will work.

gkrieg13

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 01:40:11 pm »

Does anyone have any good Heroes subplots ideas?

Here is what I have so far, and I want a couple more.  They can use any characters from any of the seasons.

Trying to find the formula to give everyone powers.

Trying to restore your own powers

Trying to save the world from the hele.

Trying to save someone stuck in the past.

The shanti virus is released and you need to find a cure and who is responsible

Obviously a murder - trying to solve it

2 people could try to be elected

trying to take people's powers away

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 03:31:32 pm »
+1

Forum murder mysteries don't work, do they?
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 03:32:39 pm »
+1

That might be a forum game I would play.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 03:35:34 pm »
+1

Back when I played Werewolf on BGG some mods would organize the most convoluted location-based games, and some where Murder-mystery themed. (they have very nice infrastructure with a forum parser, order manager, location chat manager and stuff) So, it can definitely be done!  ;D

gkrieg13

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 04:19:31 pm »

I think it would run like a mix between mafia and survivor.  It would probably be too slow and would require a lot of mod interaction.  But I can't see why it wouldn't work?

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 04:33:54 pm »

I'd host one, I just wouldn't want to be the first host. But I (read as: someone) could make a post in forum games to see who's interested.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 21 queries.