Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Temporum evangelism  (Read 7337 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Temporum evangelism
« on: February 01, 2016, 10:57:45 am »
+3

So this weekend was "Whose Turn is it Anyway", a small-ish game convention in Cary, NC. It was awesome... basically a smaller version of bgg.con; just a few days of non-stop gaming. So unlike bgg.con; this is largely community-sourced; everyone brings games. The organizer has a huge collection himself as well, of course.

But I was the only person who brought Temporum. It is a sad reminder that Temporum simply isn't popular. Now I don't think it's necessarily as good as Dominion, or among my all-time favorite games. But relative to how unpopular it is, I think it's absolutely awesome.

So I consider it my mission to spread Temporum to those who don't know it. I think I taught it 3 times this weekend; can't remember for sure. Also I know that it got at least a couple other plays without me being involved. It was well-received; I remember a few different people saying that they really enjoyed it; and didn't get any specific comments about being let down, though some people could have been being polite. In my own personal game group, a few people have told me that they don't enjoy it all that much.

Also, by teaching a lot of new people, I'm finding evidence against a common complaint about the game; that you can't do that much to actually affect your outcome. If this were true, why do I almost always win against people who are learning for the first time?

I also learned that the rulebook is really good. I never learn games from the rulebook; I want someone to teach me. Then I'll read the rulebook after that to see what I was taught wrong. But a couple guys started playing when I was unavailable to teach; they were playing within a few minutes of getting it out, having never played before; and when I went to watch the second half of the game, it was clear they had all the rules correct.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
Re: Temporum evangelism
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 11:15:02 am »
+2

I taught Temporum to a couple people a few weeks ago and one of them was very enthusiastic about it. I agree it's a shame that more people don't seem to get on board.

I wrote that (true) sentence to be on topic, but really I wanted to ask: did anything ever happen with the possible human vs human website?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 11:27:24 am »
+1

I taught Temporum to a couple people a few weeks ago and one of them was very enthusiastic about it. I agree it's a shame that more people don't seem to get on board.

I wrote that (true) sentence to be on topic, but really I wanted to ask: did anything ever happen with the possible human vs human website?

I really want to get back to it. The guy who was doing the server-side stuff seems to have gotten busy and disappeared somewhat. I recently taught Temporum to a co-worker, and when I told him about the website, he expressed interest on working with me on it, so that might happen. I'll check with him again... I don't think it's something I want to take on by myself; I'm good, but there's a lot of details about this type of networking stuff I'm not familiar with.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 01:34:19 pm »
+2

I still enjoy Temporum, but I think I'll enjoy it more once the expansion finally comes out. Temporum seems like it has a lot less variety than e.g. Dominion because the vast majority of the zones fall into (at least) one of three major categories: score cards, draw cards, and play cards. Having more (and more complex) zones will be a big improvement.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 08:28:57 pm »

I still enjoy Temporum, but I think I'll enjoy it more once the expansion finally comes out. Temporum seems like it has a lot less variety than e.g. Dominion because the vast majority of the zones fall into (at least) one of three major categories: score cards, draw cards, and play cards. Having more (and more complex) zones will be a big improvement.

Actually, exactly 6/10 cards (in any given 10 card set) fall into one of those three categories, and that MUST be true or else the game wouldn't work at all. If you added even a single Time I spot that wasn't in the "score a card" category, then you could end up with a game where no scoring is possible on any zone. The main strategy of the game is in figuring out when "Draw 2 cards. Do X" is better than "Draw 2 cards. Do Y".

Have you played the expansion? It adds a lot of new ideas, but it doesn't depart from the main formula where in every game, only the Time IV spaces will be outside of one of those 3 categories. Times I-III will always fit in those categories.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 09:09:19 pm »
+1

Actually, exactly 6/10 cards (in any given 10 card set) fall into one of those three categories, and that MUST be true or else the game wouldn't work at all. If you added even a single Time I spot that wasn't in the "score a card" category, then you could end up with a game where no scoring is possible on any zone. The main strategy of the game is in figuring out when "Draw 2 cards. Do X" is better than "Draw 2 cards. Do Y".

Have you played the expansion? It adds a lot of new ideas, but it doesn't depart from the main formula where in every game, only the Time IV spaces will be outside of one of those 3 categories. Times I-III will always fit in those categories.

I first read this and was a bit insulted, which was admittedly an overreaction. Yes, I know how Temporum works and the restrictions on zones in times I through III. Yes, I playtested the expansion. What I'm saying is twofold:

• Several of the Time IV zones in the base game are also simple variations on score, draw, or play, so more than 6/10 of the cards in a given game fall into those categories. This further contributes to a feeling of sameness in the base set.
• The expansion's zones (including its Time I, II, and III zones) are more varied than the ones in the base set. They are more exotic and interesting, and it feels like it matters more which ones are real at any given moment.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 11:29:39 pm »
+1

I first read this and was a bit insulted, which was admittedly an overreaction. Yes, I know how Temporum works and the restrictions on zones in times I through III. Yes, I playtested the expansion. What I'm saying is twofold:

• Several of the Time IV zones in the base game are also simple variations on score, draw, or play, so more than 6/10 of the cards in a given game fall into those categories. This further contributes to a feeling of sameness in the base set.
• The expansion's zones (including its Time I, II, and III zones) are more varied than the ones in the base set. They are more exotic and interesting, and it feels like it matters more which ones are real at any given moment.

Sorry for coming off that way. I see your point, though I'm not sure if I agree with the first one. It seems to me that most of the time IV zones do things that I wouldn't put in any of those categories.

I too am looking forward to the expansion, so I can finally unsleeve my cards and make them more manageable!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 12:41:51 am »

It seems to me that most of the time IV zones do things that I wouldn't put in any of those categories.

I definitely wouldn't actually put many of the Time IV zones in any of the other three times, but I think most of them do fit into the broad categories of score/draw/play.

Score cards: Age of Cats, Alien Contact, Space Age
Draw cards: Robot Uprising, Savagery
Play cards: Age of Cybernetics, Age of Toys, Communist Utopia, Warm Globe
All 3: Icy Wasteland
None of the above: Information Age, Mere Anarchy, Nanotech Wonderland, Nuclear Wasteland, Utopia, Steampunk Empire

Some of these are pretty subjective. Utopia technically draws a card. Steampunk Empire lets you discard a card for crowns, which is like scoring it. Anyway, the point is that the zones (and player cards) in the main set feel more homogenous to me than the expansion zones (and player cards). The Time IV zones are definitely the most interesting, but they're also the hardest to reach.

There are some cool zones in Times I through III: Cold War, Late Jurassic, Police State, and Primitive Paradise being personal favorites.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 02:42:06 pm by LastFootnote »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 01:06:17 am »

I mean I don't have some super valid criticism against Temporum I am just not having fun when I play it.

LuciferousPeridot

• Bishop
  • Respect: +201
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 12:56:44 pm »
+1

I still get Temporum to the table everytime I host game night and everyone likes it. A dominion like fix for me as the others don't know Dominion as well as I do. Not using the score/draw/play zones helps. I will get the expansion as soon as it's out.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 01:03:44 pm »
+3

Success! Just taught this to 2 people at BGG.con, and they really loved it.

LuciferousPeridot

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 02:08:11 am »
+1

Hi. As a self-learning exercise I tried to create a multiplayer version of Temporum. I have no css/design skills and was learning javascript on the go so it looks rubbish (and doesn't really work at all on small screens). Hopefully it's just about playable though. Any feedback/issues really appreciated. It may well fall over if more than a few people start playing.

http://arcdevtemporum.azurewebsites.net/

(give the lobby a refresh if you don't see the join options)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 02:10:45 am by LuciferousPeridot »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 08:18:00 pm »
+1

Hi. As a self-learning exercise I tried to create a multiplayer version of Temporum. I have no css/design skills and was learning javascript on the go so it looks rubbish (and doesn't really work at all on small screens). Hopefully it's just about playable though. Any feedback/issues really appreciated. It may well fall over if more than a few people start playing.

http://arcdevtemporum.azurewebsites.net/

(give the lobby a refresh if you don't see the join options)

Hey, ASP.Net MVC! That's what I do for a living. I'll be sure to check this out and give feedback; let me know if you need any help.

Since it's not in this thread, I dunno if out know about my Temporum client. www.pittersplace.com/temporum. With mine you can only play against the computer.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 08:19:24 pm by GendoIkari »

LuciferousPeridot

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2016, 02:03:05 pm »

Hey, ASP.Net MVC! That's what I do for a living. I'll be sure to check this out and give feedback; let me know if you need any help.

Since it's not in this thread, I dunno if out know about my Temporum client. www.pittersplace.com/temporum. With mine you can only play against the computer.

Hi. Thanks for replying! Yep tried your client a few times when you first put up the link. It's taken me a lot longer than a weekend to get this far! Any feedback or ideas to make it look and play better would be great. In fact a game against someone who isn't me would be great too!

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 04:11:31 pm »
+1

I just played a game with Luciferous, it was great to play Temporum online.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2016, 12:22:51 am »

It would be nice if there were a place with scans of all the cards and zones.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2016, 09:12:38 pm »

Not scans, but there's a full card list with text here: www.pittersplace.com/temporum/cards.html. I'd be happy to add zones.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2016, 11:04:46 am »

Not scans, but there's a full card list with text here: www.pittersplace.com/temporum/cards.html. I'd be happy to add zones.

Yeah, I saw that.  It's a little hard for me to process when they all kind of look the same, just textboxes.  I need pictures or at least colors or something to differentiate them.

I asked for Temporum for Christmas, so if I get it, I'll probably make scans of the cards if I get bored sometime.  Though where I'd upload them, I have no idea.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2016, 02:20:28 pm »

Yeah, I saw that.  It's a little hard for me to process when they all kind of look the same, just textboxes.  I need pictures or at least colors or something to differentiate them.

I asked for Temporum for Christmas, so if I get it, I'll probably make scans of the cards if I get bored sometime.  Though where I'd upload them, I have no idea.

If you want to, feel free to send them to me and I'll update the list page to use them.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2016, 12:31:39 pm »
+2

Operation "Get Temporum for Christmas" was a success.  I'll make scans once I get back to my apartment, after New Year's.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2016, 08:46:30 pm »

Operation "Get Temporum for Christmas" was a success.  I'll make scans once I get back to my apartment, after New Year's.

Woo hoo! Now hopefully the expansion will finally be released soon.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2016, 10:52:13 pm »

Yeah, it looks like there's room for it in the base box.  Lot of empty space in it, honestly.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2016, 01:30:26 am »

Yeah, it looks like there's room for it in the base box.  Lot of empty space in it, honestly.

I do wish the box had an insert. Though I guess if it did, it wouldn't work include space for the expansion.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2016, 11:51:56 am »

I liked Temporum better this time around - my parents even liked it.  I guess it helps when you don't start on expansion cards.  Speaking of, I'm surprised it's taking two years for this expansion to come out - I remember playing with Gendo's mock-ups at the Adventures get-together in January 2015.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2017, 10:22:13 am »
+1

Played a couple more games, this time with actual board games (i.e. not my parents).  I'm getting more of an appreciation for the combos you can pull off, and also for the tactics of changing time - it's not just to get to where you want to go, but also to prevent other players from completing their wacky combo strategies (like a player with all their crowns in Egyptian America planning to sit there drawing cards and moving 1 crown every turn).  I even was able to use Warm Globe (the one that makes everyone play a card) in what should have been a winning move - one other player had enough money to score anything for the win, but only 1 card in hand.  So making him play it would give me one more turn to to get enough money to score to win.  But then he had the card that goes back into your hand after you play it.  DAMN IT

My main frustration is the randomness of what you get dealt, but that's common to other games as well, like Race for the Galaxy, and I think there's an interesting balance between tactics (cards) and strategy (zones and crown movements) in the game.

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 20 queries.