Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: groupthink: when treasury-woodcutter bm almost beats cultist.  (Read 1122 times)

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
groupthink: when treasury-woodcutter bm almost beats cultist.
« on: February 01, 2016, 07:21:21 am »
+4

Code: [Select]
Poor House, Scrying Pool, Loan, Woodcutter, Thief, Cultist, Explorer, Margrave, Treasury, Nobles
This was 4 player game, board is quite complex.. Here I was almost defeated by expecting to play versus competent opponents and I instead found that I play versus noobs. Here there are two obvious strategies: scrying pool engine and cultist-bm. Problem is that in multiplayer cultist-bm is much weaker, when 4 players get cultists they deliver 8 ruins in next two shuffles so second cultist might come too late. However if two players skip cultist then one will likely win ruin split 3-7 or 2-8 and have considerable advantage versus other players.

So I expected that other players will get cultist asap and all players will quickly end with quite junky deck. With these a scrying pool engine will still sorta works so I opened potion/woodcutter. I planned to eventually use scrying pool/thief to gain treasures and harm other players.

However I didn't expect that nobody else will go cultist and two others will go sp route, so I started buying cultists despite that my opening was centred for sp. That was bit slow as woodcutter-treasury bm player got quick province lead.

Then there comes second problem with groupthink: piles. As ruins and pools were gone I again expected correct reply from other players which was quick duchy rush. So I started greening instead building engine with more nobles that might also run out.

Luckily BM player decides to throw his VP lead by trying to pile woodcutters instead duchies. So I could in meantime accumulate enough vp to tie score which resulted in estate dance and ending in tie game.

https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160201/log.0.1454326785961.txt

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
Re: groupthink: when treasury-woodcutter bm almost beats cultist.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 05:59:25 pm »
+1

The Scrying Pool engine seems quite weak for a 2-player game already, and in multiplayer I wouldn't bother getting a Potion. The game will just end before you can do anything significant.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
Re: groupthink: when treasury-woodcutter bm almost beats cultist.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 06:26:23 pm »
+2

Scrying Pool is a tough sell here. The only trashing is Loan (bad because you need Potion and will have to buy Silvers in order to afford better stuff). The only splitter is the very expensive Nobles. And Cultist is there to give out Ruins which, while they are not the worst junk you could be getting, still hurt.

This is one of those boards in which you have to watch what your opponent is doing and adapt, possibly every turn.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 20 queries.