Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 0.A: Prize Runoff  (Read 2470 times)

mith

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 0.A: Prize Runoff
« on: January 25, 2016, 04:16:01 pm »

This is a runoff to select a winner from the finalists of the 2014 Prize contest. The finalists were:

Golden Hammer
Types: Action – Prize
Cost: $0*
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $4 more than it.

Magic Lamp
Gain an Action card costing up to $4. Play it.

Servicemen
+1 Action. Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $3 more than the trashed card, putting it into your hand.

Stalwart Mule
+4 Actions. Gain a card costing up to $1 per unused Action you have (Action, not Action card).

Wizard
If this is the first Action card you played this turn, +3 Cards and +1 Action. Otherwise, +1 Card and +3 Actions.

Submit your votes to me via this forum's messaging system. To vote, give each card a score from 0 to 10. (It is recommended, but not required, that you give at least one card a 0 and at least one card a 10, to maximize your voting input.) The winner will be the card with the highest sum. Feel free to discuss the cards (but not your scores) in this thread.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 0.A: Prize Runoff
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 04:37:45 pm »

I didn't have a horse in this race!

3 of these were actually my top picks from the contest.

Here are my favourites from the prizes.  There were others that I liked too, but these few stood out to me.  There were also some that I liked before that I am less sure about now.

Wizard
If this is the first Action card you played this turn, +3 Cards and +1 Action. Otherwise, +1 Card and +3 Actions.

Still don't like the card name.  Still like the mechanic.

One interesting thing I just realized is that this card can be a really nice pick when your Tournament gets blocked.  Wizard gets top decked and you fail to draw it, making it more likely that you can play it as your first action on the next turn.  That's really cool.

Shield of Virtue
Types: Action – Reaction – Prize
+1 Card. +1 Action. Look through your discard pile. You may trash a card from your hand or your discard pile.

When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, you are unaffected by that Attack.

It's not crazy stand out, but I like that it can be a good pick after someone else gets Followers.  It's nice that it can both moat against Followers AND clean up Curses after the fact is nice.

Hmm... I actually wonder if even more could be added onto it.  Like, in addition to Moating the attack, you can choose to discard the shield from your hand to gain a Silver in hand.  Or maybe even do the classic broken fan card of an attacking reaction.  Would that work as a prize?  I don't know.

Anyway, that probably isn't necessary.  The action alone is cantrip trashing that can trash from the discard.  That's actually really powerful.  So it doesn't feel crazy stand out powerful, but it definitely pulls its weight.  There are probably plenty of boards where this could be top pick.

Magic Lamp
Gain an Action card costing up to $4. Play it.

Tossing this a vote because I think it has some fun potential (and a great name).  I still think it should be cantrip.

Stalwart Mule
Cost: 0*
+4 Actions. Gain a card costing up to $1 per Action you have (Action, not Action card).

It's still kind of neat.  Super village and super workshop.  My biggest concern would be that it is probably better than Diadem a lot of the time.  OTOH, it can actually combo with Diadem, and it doesn't take away from the usual Diadem use (securing enough money to afford another Province).  And I actually like the proposed name.  it's a bit of a joke, but it works.  :)

Looking back on those picks, Shield of Virtue is my favourite but it didn't make it to this voting stage.  Oh well.

Of the two I didn't mention, I liked Golden Hammer, but (I think) I cooled on it when I realized how much easier it made getting subsequent Provinces.  It was pointed out in the thread that you could trash Tournaments into Provinces.

Servicemen seems fine too, but just wasn't as interesting to me.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 0.A: Prize Runoff
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 04:47:23 pm »
+3

This contest doesn't need a runoff. All five won. There are meant to be five new Prizes.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.46 seconds with 20 queries.