Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Madman/Counterfeit vs. Rebuild  (Read 4408 times)

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
Madman/Counterfeit vs. Rebuild
« on: January 18, 2016, 10:46:27 am »

Code: [Select]
Beggar, Hermit, Herald, Procession, Talisman, Counterfeit, Mystic, Rebuild, Royal Seal, Witch
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?http://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160114/log.0.1452802024848.txt

Which strat is better here?

My opponent made a lot of claims when we played. He said that he would have won by emptying all the Victory piles if he had just drawn all his Madmen on the last turn. As far as I can see, even if he had, he would only have 6 buys and $37, not enough to win. He did say he had 5 Counterfeits, not sure of he actually believed so.

He also said he had around 18% chance of failing to draw all his Madmen, so that's an 82% chance of drawing his deck. I tried to calculate the odds, and I got 22% of drawing his deck on that turn (turn 15) given any start hand. In actuality his start hand had two Madmen, and in that situation he had a 64% chance of drawing the third one (which means he draws his deck).

Also I made a mistake. On turn 11, I should have trashed two Provinces, not one. That would have made it even more difficult to score a lot of points in the end for the Madman/Counterfeit player.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
Re: Madman/Counterfeit vs. Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 12:00:23 pm »
+1

Madman/Counterfeit must be the new big thing.  How did I ever miss out on this amazing combo.....

I don't see how Madman does well here against a Rebuild VP depletion.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 01:24:18 pm »
+1

Eh. There is an insteresting engine to be built here involving Hermit, Procession, Talisman, Herald, Witch, Counterfeit... I'm afraid it might still be too slow. But I think it would be better than a Madman megaturn. Madman/Counterfeit might be worth it if this board had a Coppersmith.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 01:55:20 pm »
+2

I don't think anything on this board is stronger than Rebuild. Rebuild doesn't even really have any support here. Maybe you get some Beggars at some point? This makes me sad.

Madman/Counterfeit seems kind of cool, actually. Probably needs very specific support, most of which was here on this board.

Your opponent needs a serious dose of YMYOSL. He really wants to blame his loss on a bad draw but I don't like the fact that he focused so hard on Hermits after seeing his opponent was going for Rebuilds -- if he had gotten more Counterfeits early he could have sped up quite a bit, and if he had even tried to hit $5 a single Witch would have slowed you down quite a lot, even with your Hermits. Also I think he wants multiple Beggars; after playing his first Madman for draw if he had a Beggar in hand he could have drawn more with his second Madman -- with more Counterfeits in his deck his payload would have gone up significantly on that big turn. Even on his last turn he ends the game on a loss while trashing Counterfeits -- he still has three Madmen in his deck and is pretty much guaranteed to draw his deck next turn. Just keep your Counterfeits, buy some Duchies, and see if you can win next turn if you really think your deck is that good.

But he wants to whine that he didn't get a good draw. Good for him. He won't get much better at Dominion with that attitude.

As for you, I think I might have only picked up one Hermit in order to hit $5 more and get MOAR Rebuilds -- you really want 3 Rebilds ASAP when uncontested and really you want much more than that. You could have ended this game quicker by milling Provinces against this guy's strats.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 04:23:34 pm »

Surely there's a reasonable herald/mystic engine here set up with hermit and counterfeit?

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 04:24:47 pm »
+1

Yeah it's reasonable, and I'm pretty sure it beats the pants off Big Money, but Rebuild is Rebuild  :'( :'( :'( :'(

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 05:21:23 pm »
+1

I don't think anything on this board is stronger than Rebuild. Rebuild doesn't even really have any support here. Maybe you get some Beggars at some point? This makes me sad.

Madman/Counterfeit seems kind of cool, actually. Probably needs very specific support, most of which was here on this board.

Your opponent needs a serious dose of YMYOSL. He really wants to blame his loss on a bad draw but I don't like the fact that he focused so hard on Hermits after seeing his opponent was going for Rebuilds -- if he had gotten more Counterfeits early he could have sped up quite a bit, and if he had even tried to hit $5 a single Witch would have slowed you down quite a lot, even with your Hermits. Also I think he wants multiple Beggars; after playing his first Madman for draw if he had a Beggar in hand he could have drawn more with his second Madman -- with more Counterfeits in his deck his payload would have gone up significantly on that big turn. Even on his last turn he ends the game on a loss while trashing Counterfeits -- he still has three Madmen in his deck and is pretty much guaranteed to draw his deck next turn. Just keep your Counterfeits, buy some Duchies, and see if you can win next turn if you really think your deck is that good.

But he wants to whine that he didn't get a good draw. Good for him. He won't get much better at Dominion with that attitude.

As for you, I think I might have only picked up one Hermit in order to hit $5 more and get MOAR Rebuilds -- you really want 3 Rebilds ASAP when uncontested and really you want much more than that. You could have ended this game quicker by milling Provinces against this guy's strats.

How does Hermit help you hit $5, at least in the short run that matters for Rebuild? I'm asking with sincerity.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 05:22:49 pm »

How does Hermit help you hit $5, at least in the short run that matters for Rebuild? I'm asking with sincerity.

It doesn't; picking up only one Hermit (in favor of Silver) does.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 05:23:53 pm »
+1

I was thinking it would trash two Shelters that would otherwise be dead cards, trash incoming Purples that a competent opponent would be giving you, and it can gain Silvers which help you hit $5 -- I mean, I'd get one because I have to believe it helps you hit $5 more often than not getting would help, which is especially important when not mirrored.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 06:46:03 pm »
+2

I think engine vs Rebuild would have been close here if Beggar was say a Pearl Diver. But Madmen/Counterfeit? How is that supposed to work...

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 08:47:52 am »
+3

I would not count on anything beating Rebuild here, but I would be curious as to what else you do. Is a Witch worth it? If so, when? If so, do you also get Hermit? I don't think I want a Hermit if my opponent isn't going to be cursing me, as I don't want tons of Silver necessarily, and what silvers I do want, I want fast. Shelters would push me more towards Hermit, but I still don't think it's enough. I mean, I really want the silvers right away, because I want to hit 5 ASAP.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 10:15:34 am »

Well, if your opponent is completely ignoring Rebuild, getting a Hermit for Silver-flooding seems decent, also to trash incoming Curses.
And grabbing a Beggar just to get those Rebuilds and Duchies seems okay.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 10:43:14 am »

I would not count on anything beating Rebuild here, but I would be curious as to what else you do. Is a Witch worth it? If so, when? If so, do you also get Hermit? I don't think I want a Hermit if my opponent isn't going to be cursing me, as I don't want tons of Silver necessarily, and what silvers I do want, I want fast. Shelters would push me more towards Hermit, but I still don't think it's enough. I mean, I really want the silvers right away, because I want to hit 5 ASAP.

Hermits cleared out Shelters and got me Silvers, and Madmen cycle the deck quickly and helped me buy Rebuild and later a Province outright. The game was over so quickly that tons of Silvers was not happening. I feel like a couple of Hermits helped me end it quicker here. But it's true that I opened 2/5 and got a Rebuild right away, maybe that changed it (the usefulness of Hermit).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 12:37:39 pm by Jeebus »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 02:49:54 am »

I'm biased toward Hermit, finding it a useful utility card for a lot of decks.

I can use it with an engine, with a money-deck and with decks in between.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 12:31:37 pm »

Just throwing this out there for the sake of discussion..
How does Counterfeit affect the Hermit - Market Square combo?  (Note: all 3 cards are Dark Ages.)  I assume that would surely beat straight Rebuild or Witch/Rebuild (cus Hermit-MS beats straight Rebuild, right?).

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 01:03:46 pm »
+1

Just throwing this out there for the sake of discussion..
How does Counterfeit affect the Hermit - Market Square combo?  (Note: all 3 cards are Dark Ages.)  I assume that would surely beat straight Rebuild or Witch/Rebuild (cus Hermit-MS beats straight Rebuild, right?).
You probably won't hit 5 with hermit/market square before you kick off.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.