Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: All the Questions  (Read 5522 times)

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
All the Questions
« on: January 16, 2016, 12:18:03 am »

Hello, F.DS. I was wondering if some veteran users could answer some questions I have about this forum:
1. How do people link things without putting the link in? Like, someone types 'you can find it here,' and the word 'here' is the link. How is this done?
2. How do you quote more than one person in a single quote?
3. What does the report button do?
4. Why do so many active users on this forum not play Forum Mafia?
Numbers 1-2 are the most important, but any answers are great. Thanks!
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
Re: All the Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 12:23:54 am »
+10

In my experience the best way to learn a trick is to quote the post that used the trick you want and then see how the trick was formatted

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 12:31:05 am »
+4

For example. Quote this post.

You will see that when I link back to this page, I do so by doing this:

type "[url =" (without the space. I added the space to prevent everything else becoming a hyperlink) and then give the webpage: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=14597.msg560252#new followed by another "]" then type the word that is the place holder "page" followed by a [/url]

I wonder if this can show you how without actually doing it:

[url=http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=14597.msg560252#new]page[/url]

Yeah. that worked. Or you can just copy that above and sub in your own web address without quoting.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 12:33:34 am »
+4

As for quoting people. There is a nifty button when you are typing up a post. If you scroll down you can see previous replies. Just hit the insert quote button for that particular post and you are golden:

For example. Quote this post.

You will see that when I link back to this page, I do so by doing this:

type "[url =" (without the space. I added the space to prevent everything else becoming a hyperlink) and then give the webpage: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=14597.msg560252#new followed by another "]" then type the word that is the place holder "page" followed by a [/url]

I wonder if this can show you how without actually doing it:

[url=http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=14597.msg560252#new]page[/url]

Yeah. that worked. Or you can just copy that above and sub in your own web address without quoting.

Like this. And then add text or spaces and then do it again.
Hello, F.DS. I was wondering if some veteran users could answer some questions I have about this forum:
1. How do people link things without putting the link in? Like, someone types 'you can find it here,' and the word 'here' is the link. How is this done?

However, if the quote you want isn't listed because it is too far removed. I would just go to that page, hit reply and then copy the particular quote that you are interested into the text field and reply beneath it.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 03:29:44 am »
+5

3:  The Report button sends a message to theory that something on the forum needs the attention of an actual administrator.  Best used against spam, though there have been cases where I've used it to suggest a thread be locked or portions deleted.

4:  Lots of people hate social deduction games.  I personally can't stand playing them at all.  I'm OK at bluffing, but terrible at reading people.  Given the choice between Werewolf and Cards Against Humanity, I'd rather slit my wrists.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 09:05:59 am »
+4

You can put everything in code tags to prevent having to escape with white space. Like this:

Code: [Select]
[url=http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=14597.msg560252#new]like this[/url]

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 09:12:02 am »
+2

You can put everything in code tags to prevent having to escape with white space. Like this:

[url=http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=14597.msg560252#new]like this[/url]

Fancy! Thanks! See, RR. There are lots of tricks if you just copy what other people do!

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 01:22:19 pm »

Thanks everyone! These answers have neen super valuable, but now I have a new question:
5. How do you quote someone who didn't post in that thread (like how does the 'out of context' thread work?)?

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 01:23:52 pm »
+2

Just hit the quote button and then copy/paste into the other thread.  You can also change the subject line to respond to a specific thread.  Copy/paste is much easier

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 03:11:05 pm »
+2

3:  The Report button sends a message to theory that something on the forum needs the attention of an actual administrator.  Best used against spam, though there have been cases where I've used it to suggest a thread be locked or portions deleted.

Just a quick note, theory says to use that button more than we use it for.  One time, we were talking about respect, and somebody mentioned imaginary internet points, and I reported that post asking theory to make his respect for that post something like "+5i" or something, making him have imaginary internet points.  A bit later I got a PM from theory saying "darn, I couldn't do it!"  It's not a "thou shall not press this button except for emergencies" button.

On the topic of letting you post the codes without making you use spaces, I like putting [b][/b] in the middle better than using a code block.  [b][/b] is also really useful for dodging the 8) smiley when you just want to say 8)
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 03:16:54 pm »

One time, we were talking about respect, and somebody mentioned imaginary internet points, and I reported that post asking theory to make his respect for that post something like "+5i" or something, making him have imaginary internet points.  A bit later I got a PM from theory saying "darn, I couldn't do it!"  It's not a "thou shall not press this button except for emergencies" button.
Could that have been me?

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2016, 03:22:10 pm »

One thing I still can't figure out is how to do tables...

Like I see the button and what it inserts:

[table]
[tr]
[td][/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

and have tried to copy what other people have done, but each time I have tried (ok, maybe it has been like twice) it hasn't turned out very good...

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2016, 03:50:15 pm »

One time, we were talking about respect, and somebody mentioned imaginary internet points, and I reported that post asking theory to make his respect for that post something like "+5i" or something, making him have imaginary internet points.  A bit later I got a PM from theory saying "darn, I couldn't do it!"  It's not a "thou shall not press this button except for emergencies" button.
Could that have been me?

No, it was a while ago, before you were here.  If I remember correctly, it was eHalcyon.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Decline of civility on Isotropic
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2016, 04:09:21 pm »
+2

Just hit the quote button and then copy/paste into the other thread.  You can also change the subject line to respond to a specific thread.  Copy/paste is much easier

You can change the subject line to change the subject line your message will have. It doesn't change what thread you're replying to.

[b][/b] is also really useful for dodging the 8) smiley when you just want to say 8)

But make sure you don't accidentally do it when you're talking about Windows 8).

One thing I still can't figure out is how to do tables...

Like I see the button and what it inserts:

[table]
[tr]
[td][/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

and have tried to copy what other people have done, but each time I have tried (ok, maybe it has been like twice) it hasn't turned out very good...

It works just like HTML tables do. The table tags contain the entire table, tr tags contain the contents of a single row, and td tags contain the contents of a single cell.

stuffmoar stuff
stuff on another rowMoat
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 04:14:36 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2016, 04:19:59 pm »
+2

Tables (the concept, not the user) are very confusing, mostly because they look so ugly as text.  You can type:

[table]
[tr]
[td](row 1, column 1 text)[/td]
[td](row 1, column 2 text)[/td]
[td](row 1, column 3 text)[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td](row 2, column 1 text)[/td]
[td](row 2, column 2 text)[/td]
[td](row 2, column 3 text)[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

...to get this:

(row 1, column 1 text)(row 1, column 2 text)(row 1, column 3 text)
(row 2, column 1 text)(row 2, column 2 text)(row 2, column 3 text)

So basically the [tr] and [/tr] tags denote the start and end of a row, and the [td] and [/td] tags denote the start and end of each column within that row.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2016, 12:51:13 pm »

I have a new question, this one is Dominion related. Can you please put these in order from best to worst: +1 buy, +$1, put your deck into your discard pile.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2016, 01:06:29 pm »
+1

I have a new question, this one is Dominion related. Can you please put these in order from best to worst: +1 buy, +$1, put your deck into your discard pile.

The answer is yes.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2016, 04:26:46 pm »
+2

The answer is yes.
He said please.

I would say +, +buy, chancellor effect

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2016, 01:16:14 pm »
+4

I have a new question, this one is Dominion related.

Then what is it doing in the Feedback subforum?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 21 queries.