Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Getting in on the action  (Read 7782 times)

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
Getting in on the action
« on: January 16, 2012, 01:13:33 pm »
+7

I decided to record a video commentary finally. You can find it here for now.

First off, thanks theory and WanderingWinder for previously working out a lot of the kinks. Standing on the shoulders of giants and all that.

Second, I'd love some feedback on the quality and content. Also I tried to fill up all that white space on the right but if anyone has good ideas for what else can go there, that would be appreciated.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Re: Getting in on the action
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 01:19:20 pm »

Visual quality is outstanding.  As is the game itself.

Is it better to have multiple, scattered YouTube channels, or one DominionStrategy channel?  I wanted to centralize it so that it's easier for people to find stuff, but it is a hassle to have everyone send me things to upload and honestly I would love nothing more than for various people to all be uploading their videos.

Maybe WW and jonts and etc. should just set up their own channels, send me links, and all the good games I will add to a playlist on the DominionStrategy channel.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 01:41:01 pm »

Tight!

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 11:34:07 pm »

I kind of like the idea of all of the videos being in one central location, but you already put a ton of time into DominionStrategy so I think it's fine to just link them. Also as long as everyone puts the same tags on the videos in youtube, they should link to each other in the side suggested videos bar.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 04:37:20 am »

Send the videos to DominionStrategy@gmail.com if you want!  I figured it would be more work for you guys than for me, honestly.  It's not that much work for me.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 04:51:19 am »

Nice video jonts26. This video-making trend basically wants to make me filming myself. But I wouldn't provide valuable information as you all are more experienced than me.

Some feedback:
- Video and Audio Quality is good
- I like the "key card tracking", that was certainly very time-consuming.
- The are pros and cons for the subsequent commentary. I think I like it more how WW does it, as the struggle for the right decision gives more tension and teaches more.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 05:25:54 am »

Nice video jonts26. This video-making trend basically wants to make me filming myself. But I wouldn't provide valuable information as you all are more experienced than me.
The perfect is the enemy of the good.  If the criteria for making a video is that there is no one better than you, then none of us would have ever made a video.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 06:33:04 am »

I really enjoyed this video ! Thank you !
I agree with Qvist, the quality is good (perfect) and the "key card" is an excellent idea.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 01:02:09 pm »

- I like the "key card tracking", that was certainly very time-consuming.
- The are pros and cons for the subsequent commentary. I think I like it more how WW does it, as the struggle for the right decision gives more tension and teaches more.

The Key Card stuff wasn't too time consuming. Mostly I was just sick of seeing all that white space that I can't really get rid of without cutting off too much of the play history, so I figured I'd fill it with something useful.

And I think I agree that I like the record as you play style a bit better. It gives a better look into the players thought process. However, what I ended up doing was just recording video for an entire play session, like 10 games, and picking the one I liked best to make a commentary for. This has the huge advantage of letting me pick a game I really enjoy which is also really beneficial. I guess I could get the best of both worlds by doing audio commentary for all my games and then picking which ones I like, but ... I'm not going to do that.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 02:38:53 pm »
+1

The perfect is the enemy of the good.  If the criteria for making a video is that there is no one better than you, then none of us would have ever made a video.

You're right. Ok, I reformulate: I'm no native speaker and a live commentary is difficult for me (I already tried that out). Maybe I start with an after-game-commentary.
But this is jonts26's thread, and I just want to repeat "I liked it, keep 'em comin'"

painted_cow

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 09:20:52 pm »

Good work! Finally a really nice high quality. In my opinion you covered the most strategic aspects of the game.

To the actual game: Just not sure, why you guys get Margrave over Smithy in a double Tactician game (could get MoneyVillages instead of the bacis ones and Smithy instead of Margrave). And imo a overall low ammount of villages in terms of supporting mass bridges and smithy. Otherwise well played of course.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 09:39:48 pm »

Margraves are only preferable because of the +buy. In fact the attack could end up being beneficial, though that's not really significant. Basically, more buys = more endgame control. The reason I bought 2 villages early was because I needed villages and that's what I could afford. The reason I went Margravex2, Villagex2 late was to get an extra buy or two the last turn. At that point in the game I'm not looking to score a mega 5 province turn. I'm looking to drain all the piles I can so buys > money.

And yeah I could probably have used another village or two but really there was only 1 or two times I couldn't play all my bridges so it's not like it was that bad. And the balance is so tight that if I turn one of those bridges into a village I have probably extra actions I'm not using. And if I turn a margrave/smithy into a village I won't get the draw I need.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 09:49:35 pm »
+1

As I was watching, I was really thinking, a) I would have gotten more villages, b)Margrave attack might actually be a small boon at times here, c) well, ok, this was first, but hamlet was actually an important card for a number of reasons; d) I definitely would have spent more time considering different options for ending the game out, but as I paused my video to make these calculations, it was correct to play the second tactician every time, so there you go.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 10:08:31 pm »
+2

Had Hamlet not been vetoed it would have been much more desirable than either other village. In fact I'd have probably ignored margrave and done more smithy/hamlets. But what I really meant was that it doesn't change the basic landscape of the game. That is, what it offers (actions and buys) are available in multiple other places.

And the margrave benefit is actually pretty neat. Whatever turn it was where I drew my second tactician with my last card, I had been margraved prior to that turn. So if it hadn't been for that margrave, the end game would have looked a bit different.

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 07:05:55 am »

Interesting.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 10:27:34 am »

I added this video (as well as olneyce's) to the DominionStrategy youtube channel playlist.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 05:16:18 pm »

OK I think that plan works well. I don't really know how youtube works so I didn't know you could just link things like that.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 11:04:45 am »

I'm curious as to what software you guys are using, especially to do the post facto editing and voiceovers.
Also, I've uploaded 21 videos to my YouTube Channel. You've already got 11 of them, and I wouldn't necessarily take all the others, as some of them aren't the highest of quality, particularly video-wise.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 11:24:26 am »

I'm using Camtasia currently. It has a 30 day free trial.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 10:36:09 pm »

Decided to be not lazy and I added a couple more videos.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.