Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 2: Base Set (Results!)  (Read 36416 times)

mith

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
Re: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 2: Base Set (Results!)
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2016, 11:50:28 am »
+2

Bumping this thread to say that I find it interesting that the second edition of the base set added two Peddler variants (Merchant and Poacher). Florist feels less "necessary" now I guess (but it's still a cool card).
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 11:52:45 am by mith »

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 2: Base Set (Results!)
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2017, 07:13:27 pm »
+1

Sorry to necro-post here. Thanks for voting for my card.
Florist is a bit outmoded within Base after Second Edition's introduction of five-and-a-half cantrips. I think I still like it a little better than Merchant, though Merchant is a clever design in how it pushes players to playing the game better (since it gets players to focus more on Treasure).

Florist came about from, rather than playing the game better, learning the game better.
I feel like such an ass enforcing the rules minutia on players: Put your cards into play; keep your Victory cards in your hand; play all your Treasure before you buy anything; cards you gain go to your discard pile; blah, blah, blah. All I can say in my defense is that it sometimes matters. It never did in base games--but the game is super easy to follow even with more complex cards so long as you're in the habit of following the rules.

Florist says: You have to count the cards that are in play. It immediately gets players thinking about their play area as a zone distinct from their hands or discard piles which simplifies a lot of rules problems.
The precise effect was a simple elimination of the obvious from the granted position that first edition Base was in desperate need of low-cost cantrips: Card draw is probably too strong, splitting is probably too weak.
If I had to rework it to make it less intrusive around Merchant, I'd probably make it a Menagerie variant, drawing 3 when it hits and 0 when it misses. Base would probably rather it be a Splitter, but there isn't a simple way to make Florist work with that.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 20 queries.