Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 2: Base Set (Results!)  (Read 36291 times)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 2: Base Set (Voting!)
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2016, 03:40:39 pm »

I mean, I agree that it'd be redundant in Intrigue—I just mean that "card that does different things depending on the circumstances in which it is played" isn't really a base-set concept.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2016, 03:47:42 pm »
+1

I mean, I agree that it'd be redundant in Intrigue—I just mean that "card that does different things depending on the circumstances in which it is played" isn't really a base-set concept.

It's not a base-set concept because it doesn't yet exist in the base set. It's not too complex to exist in the base set, and it doesn't offer an explicit choice in its on-play effect. If we limit ourselves only to things that already exist in the base set, we're going to come up with something that's redundant with what the base set already has.

I mean I like Swamp Tower, but the base set has no shortage of card drawing, and already has some sifting as well.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2016, 04:09:07 pm »
+1

It's not a base-set concept because it doesn't yet exist in the base set. It's not too complex to exist in the base set, and it doesn't offer an explicit choice in its on-play effect. If we limit ourselves only to things that already exist in the base set, we're going to come up with something that's redundant with what the base set already has.

I mean I like Swamp Tower, but the base set has no shortage of card drawing, and already has some sifting as well.

You gave Paddock a thumbs up.  Isn't it redundant with Market, and the set overall which tends toward Big Money already?

I'm coming around on Florist though.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2016, 04:16:07 pm »

You gave Paddock a thumbs up.  Isn't it redundant with Market, and the set overall which tends toward Big Money already?

I wouldn't say it's totally redundant with Market, although clearly they are more similar than e.g. Market and Florist. Man, there were plenty of entries I didn't like. Anyway I stand by Florist being my top choice, and the order of my other three picks isn't so important to me.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2016, 05:18:58 pm »

Aw man, i'm going to lose at this one big time. Paddock stinks. I mean, i knew that when i had it enter the competition. It even forces you to gain a Silver. No choice. No "you may". No "gain a card costing up to $3", which would allow you to go for an engine and be pretty good. Just unflexible, mispriced Big Money support.

In other words, it's the perfect Base game card. The only thing i could have done better to make it more accurate was use "Gain a Silver card", but that was too much even for me.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2016, 06:24:40 pm »
+1

I didn't actually get a chance to submit a card for this one.  I had several ideas, but I couldn't convince myself that any of them were even good enough that I'd vote for them.

Anyway, I think Pilgrim is by far the best card here.  Most of these cards are pretty underwhelming I think, which I guess is to be expected when you're designing cards to fit in with the base set.  But Pilgrim does something really unique and incredibly simple that fills a space the Base set hasn't already filled (and really none of the expansions have filled either, maybe with the exception of Rebuild).  Unlike Rebuild it doesn't deplete the main source of VP in the game (Provinces), and it adds green to your deck, so you would need to be careful overwhelming yourself with too many of them.  I think it's also good balance-wise.  It might be too strong, but if it is, the +1 card can be taken out, and possibly even the +1 action if it turns out to be way too strong.  I think there are a lot of decks where you'll want Pilgrim and a lot where you won't, and it's very different from any existing card, trying to think about which decks can make good use of it and which ones can't.

I'm really hoping Pilgrim wins.  If it doesn't, I think Florist, Reconstruct, and Swamp Tower are the next best options.  Florist looks a little awkward to me, but it does something unique and simple.  I agree that it feels more like an Intrigue card, but I think it still works as base.  Reconstruct is also really simple and unique.  Swamp Tower...I'm not quite as sure about, but it's extremely simple and does something that no other base set card does yet.  I think I'd like it better if the discarding happened first.

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2016, 06:33:40 pm »
+1

Anyway, I think Pilgrim is by far the best card here

I'm keen on Staircase for the same reason :-)

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2016, 07:18:52 pm »

My three favorites are Cloister, Florist and Pilgrim.
Cloister would have an edge but it requires you to trash a card, which makes it much less useful in the later game and it requires deck tracking. And it requires you to look through your discard pile, which could take a little while in real life.

Florist is also very cool, almost no complaints but I'm not sure whether or not this belongs in the base set.

Pilgrim might be a little simple for me, but gaining Duchies is pretty cool. It'll need playtesting though.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2016, 09:33:42 pm »
+1

What the heck is going on here? Why is eHalcyon disguised as Lastfootnote while LastFootnote disguised as former Roadrunner?

Merely half of the cards seem like Base set to me, at best. I think Florist is actually the best submission. It offers something cute and original without being any complex. You can play it without thinking about play order but it has subtle potential to be played optimally which I like.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2016, 09:47:35 pm »

I haven't had much time on my hands these days to comment, but I'm roughly of the opinion of Scott_Pilgrim. I like Pilgrim, Reconstruct, Swamp Tower, and Florist.

I'd say of those 4 cards Florist edges out a bit. Neat interaction with Throne Room too. You can just not Throne it if you won't get the bonus.

I like the simplicity of all the submissions for the most part. Very few cards on the dislike side of the spectrum for me.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2016, 11:02:38 pm »

Ones I like better than others:

Archer: I like it (should cost $3 though), but it would be redundant with woodcutter in the base set. I might vote for it anyway though because I like to vote for the ones I think are the best fan-made cards regardless of whether they'd actually fit well in the set.

Florist: I first glance, I didn't think it was interesting, but when I think how it would actually play it'd probably be fun.

Ironsmelter: Again, probably doesn't fit well in the base set, but I like it anyway (possibly because it's kinda similar to my Iron Furnace card).

Pilgrim: This is new. Might be good, bue seems like it'd make the duchies run out too fast.

Swamp Tower: agree with LastFootnote: probably should cost 4, but I think I'll vote for it anyway.

Other ones I feel like commenting on:
Barracks: the attack is too weak to be worthwhile

Handler: Could be better than junk dealer if you're opponent is playing a curser.

Reconstruct: It's worth trying, but I think it'd make piles run out too fast. And it'd get dangerous past the beginning of the game like lookout, especially if there's a pile(s) of good cards already empty. If it's a card you want a lot of, then you don't want to trash it even if you can get a new one easily on the same turn.

Synod: Could be powerful while trashing coppers and estates, but it'd likely be a necropolis later on.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2016, 01:16:16 pm »
+3

I feel like there is a general disagreement in the perception of "Base Set" in these comments.

Is "Base Set" a set of simple, but useful cards?

Is "Base Set" an introduction to future cards?

Obviously, there is the most to expand upon, and, well, we have expansions for that. As this collection of cards is undoubtedly an expansion in itself, are we striving to match the Base Set or are we attempting to expand the Base Set?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2016, 01:30:46 pm »

I feel like there is a general disagreement in the perception of "Base Set" in these comments.

I'd say there are different interpretations. This doesn't have to be a bad thing.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2016, 02:13:57 am »
+1

I'd say there are different interpretations. This doesn't have to be a bad thing.

It looks like there are different interpretations of this situation. Maybe even a disagreement between you two.

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2016, 02:23:33 pm »
+1

Archer
Types: Action
Cost: $2
+$1
+1 Buy
You may discard a card. If you do, +2 cards
Terminal Market. I like it, but would prefer the discard to be mandatory.

Barracks
Types: Action - Attack
Cost: $3
+2 Actions
+$1
Each other player with 5 or more cards discards a card.
A mild attack Village. Seems useful.

Benefactor
Types: Action - Attack
Cost: $4
Gain a Silver, putting it into your hand.
Each other player gains a Copper.
I don't think the Base Set needs more Treasure-based strategies.

Calendar
+6 Cards
Put five cards from your hand on top of your deck.
This is a good sifter, but the net +1 Card seems minimal for the cost. Maybe it needs +1 Action as well?

Cloister
+2 Actions
Look through your discard pile and trash a card from it.
Trashing Village, I like it.

Florist
+1 Card, +1 Action. If you have an even number of cards in play (counting this), +$1.
A sometimes Peddler. I'm torn on this one. I see the usefulness, but don't see "Base Set" at the same time.

Handler
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
You may trash card from your hand which is not a Treasure. If you do: +$1
Not much to see here, but I would buy at least one of these.

Ironsmelter
Trash 2 cards from your hand.
For each...
... Action card, +1 Action
... Treasure card, +$1
... Victory card, +1 Card.
Put this in Intrigue.

Lord
+2 Cards
You may trash a Victory card from your hand. +$ equal to its cost. Each other player may gain an Estate.
I think, again, this would be better as a mandatory gain.

Paddock
Cost: $5
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1$
Gain a Silver.
I'd like to avoid Treasure in this set, but I do like this card.

Pilgrim
Cost: $6
+1 Card
+1 Action
Gain a Duchy
Here's something new to do with $7 and 1 Buy in the mid-late game.

Reconstruct
+1 Action
Trash the top card of your deck. You may gain a card with the same cost, putting it in your hand.
I don't know how I feel about blindly trashing the top card of my deck.

Swamp Tower
+2 cards. Discard 2 cards. +2 cards.
The sifting function seems useful, but not strong enough to cost $5. Maybe $3 at the  most.

Synod
+2 Actions
Name a cost. Reveal your hand and trash all cards with that cost from your hand. You may gain a card costing up to $1 per card trashed.
I like this card, but I think it might fit in better for another set?

Voucher
Types: Treasure
Worth $1
+1 Buy
Once again, I would like to avoid Treasure strategies with these cards.

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2016, 04:57:49 pm »
+2

Uh, my card was posted with the wrong price, and i think that may have an impact on the voting.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2016, 05:13:53 pm »

Which card is it? I think correcting that is more important than anonymity at that point.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2016, 05:55:59 pm »

If it's Swamp Tower or Calendar that would explain the reaction immediately after my comments. I was of the understanding that cards would have to be tested to be price-balanced anyways.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2016, 06:07:42 pm »

Which card is it? I think correcting that is more important than anonymity at that point.

I agree. I mean, there are cards people already know are from certain people, either way.

Although i did wonder whether i should stop commenting on which cards are mine, but that's another topic.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2016, 08:17:16 pm »

If it's Swamp Tower or Calendar that would explain the reaction immediately after my comments. I was of the understanding that cards would have to be tested to be price-balanced anyways.

I'll comment on costs but I'm not going to vote or not vote because of a weird cost unless its an important part of the design (e.g. Band of Misfits, Border Village) or its especially egregious. 

It's easy to misjudge anyway.  When I first read it, I thought Swamp Tower would be fine at $5.  Others think it would be fine at $4 though, and I agree now.  I think $3 would be too low though.

Graystripe77

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2016, 10:36:33 pm »
+1

I guess since a few people would like it to be mentioned here, I would. it's already a card I've posted before anyway.

It's Archer, supposed to cost $4. makes a HUGE difference.

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2016, 05:29:04 am »

I guess since a few people would like it to be mentioned here, I would. it's already a card I've posted before anyway.

It's Archer, supposed to cost $4. makes a HUGE difference.
I think that "+2 Cards, +1$, +1 Buy" would be a good 3$ and a weak 4$ so your card is probably balanced at 3$. 4$ seems too expensive to me.

mith

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2016, 04:11:24 pm »

Archer has been modified, per designer request:

Archer
+$1
+1 Buy
You may discard a card. If you do, +2 cards

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2016, 04:15:28 pm »
+1

I think i liked Archer more at $2. :P

Graystripe77

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2016, 04:37:27 pm »

Not gonna rattle off strategy stuff, because i think that's against the rules, but the cost is definitely right.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 22 queries.