Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 3: Event (Results!)  (Read 24556 times)

mith

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
+3

Results!
View Finalists
View Cards Submitted

This is the second third contest for this year's set. This week's challenge: Design an Event!

Submission Rules

• Each participant may submit one card per challenge.
• Participation in previous or future challenges is not required to participate in this one.
• Submit your card to me via this forum's messaging system. Submissions made after each week's deadline cannot be accepted.
• Each card you submit must have a name, a cost, a list of types, and the exact wording that should appear on the card.  Also include a brief description of any special design considerations (e.g., Stash having a unique back), but do NOT include any other information, such as strategic commentary or examples about it would play.
• The name you give your card will appear on the ballot. If multiple cards with the same name are submitted, I will differentiate them with letters in a randomly chosen order, e.g. [Card Name] A, [Card Name] B, etc. Cards themselves will likewise be listed in a random order on the ballot.
• I will accept revisions to your contest entries provided they are submitted to me before the deadline.  If you submit a revision to an entry you have previously submitted to me, resubmit your revised card(s) in their entirety.
• Only submit cards that are your own design.
• You may submit cards that have been previously posted here in this forum, including those that have been refined by the community as a whole, provided you can still claim that the central conceit of the card -- and the majority of its final version -- is yours.
• A single card might conceivably qualify for multiple challenges within this series. If your card doesn't win the first challenge you submit it to, you may submit it for any and all future challenges (until it wins), provided the card fits those challenges. This is particularly pertinent for cards that don't win the first of two slots for a large expansion, although depending on which card does win, your card may not qualify for the second challenge.
• Do not disclose your submissions publicly, either in this thread or elsewhere!

Except where specified, you may not submit cards combine certain mechanics from multiple expansions. The idea is that you could simply slot the cards into their respective sets without needing components or rules specific to another set. Specifically:

• Duration cards may only be submitted as candidates for a Seaside or Adventures slot.
• Potion-cost cards may only be submitted as candidates for the Alchemy slot.
• Cards that use VP tokens or cost $7 or more may only be submitted as candidates for a Prosperity slot.
• Cards that use Coin tokens and cards that use overpay may only be submitted as candidates for the Guilds slot.
• Cards that use Ruins (Looters) and cards that use Spoils may only be submitted as candidates for a Dark Ages slot.
• Traveller cards, Reserve cards, and cards making use of player Tokens may only be submitted as candidates for an Adventures slot.

Many mechanics are fair game for any submission. The following is an incomplete list.

• Victory/Action and Victory/Treasure hybrid cards.
• Cards that allow you to choose an ability from a list.
• Cards with on-buy, would-gain, on-gain, and on-trash abilities.

Challenge #3: Event

Design an Event card that would fit into the Adventures expansion. Such a card could have one or more of the following qualities:

• Interacts with player Tokens (possibly including new Tokens).
• May only be bought once per turn.
• Almost anything else (except mechanics reserved for other expansions).

Submissions are due by the end of Thursday, 2016-02-04.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 11:19:36 am by mith »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 2: Event
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 02:04:02 am »

Can we postpone this until after the votes are counted for the other Adventures contest?  I'd like to know what the winner is to (potentially) cover more bases and avoid overlap.

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
Re: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 2: Event
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 12:16:59 pm »
+2

That's a fair point. I will leave this open, but extend the deadline to one week after the end of Adventures voting (which officially closes on the 18th, but there is a very good chance I will be delayed in updating next week).

We'll run the Base contest this week.

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
Re: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 3: Event
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 10:23:46 pm »

Extended deadline to February 4, in light of the voting changes for Adventures.

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 05:39:39 pm »

Ok, for reals final deadline: February 10. Adventures winner will be up tomorrow sometime.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 05:53:53 pm »

/tag
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 12:09:01 pm »

One more day!

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 01:05:03 pm »
+2

Sorry all, still having trouble keeping up with everything. :) I'll get the submissions up tonight or tomorrow though.

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 06:28:46 pm »
+2

Artisan
Types: Event
Cost: $2
+1 Buy
Gain a copy of the least expensive card you have in play.

Clarification: if several cards are tied for least expensive, you choose which one of them to gain a copy of.

Bootstraps
Cost: $6
Once per turn: Look through your discard pile. You may put a card from your discard pile into your hand. Play an Action card from your hand.

Border Crossing
Cost: $4
Move your Gaining token to an Action Supply pile (when you buy a card from that pile, you may gain a cheaper card.)

Call to Arms
Cost: $5
Flip your Journey Token over (it starts face up)
If it's face up, each other player discards down to three cards. Gain a Gold for each card discarded in this way.

Discovery
Gain an Action card costing up to $4.
Look through your discard pile and put a card from it on top of your deck.

Dragon's Offerings
Trash a card costing less than this from the Supply. Put this in front of yourself. At the start of each of your turns, if this is in front of you, you may gain a non-Victory card costing less than a card another player gained on his previous turn.

Event
Cost: $1
Each other player gains a copper putting it into their hand.

Odyssey
The player to your left moves your +1 Card and +1 Action tokens to an Action Supply pile (when you play a card from that pile, you first get +1 Card, +1 Action).

Plague
Cost: $0
Pay the cost of an action card in the supply to set it aside as a plague card. At the end of the game plague cards score an additional -1VP.

Clarification: Set aside cards never become part of any players deck.

Prediction
+1 Buy
Look at the top card of your deck. You may put it on the bottom.

Refuge
+2 Cards; +1 Buy
Once per turn: Each player (including you) may discard an Action card. If they do, they gain an Action card costing up to $5.

Clarification: You can only buy this once per turn.

Salvage Yard
Discard any number of cards from your hand. Gain a card from the trash costing up to $2 per card discarded.

Time Walk
Put your Duration token on a non-duration Action-supply pile. At the end of the turn, instead of discarding the action from play, set it aside and play the action again at the start of your turn, discarding it from play at the end of that turn.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 3: Event (Voting!)
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 09:22:17 pm »
+1

My quick initial reactions:

Artisan: looks nice for after you've trashed down.

Bootstraps: Play an action during your buy phase? doesn't work. nope.

Border Crossing: seems good.

Call to Arms: On buy/on gain discarding attacks have been shown to be unfun. This event is the same thing, even when slowed by the journey token. And the gold gaining would be crazy in multiplayer games.

Discovery: I like it. It's kind of overshadowed by Summon, but summon can be slightly OP anyway.

Dragon's Offerings: Doesn't look fun. Any why is the trashing from the supply on there?

Event: blah.

Odyssey: interesting. Depending on the kingdom, could still be way OP even with an opponent choosing the card.

Plague: I think this should have a set cost and not be cheap. If you win the curse split, you can make that difference even bigger. This is also really strong against Gardens, Goons, or Vineyard and probably others (unless you have good trashing with Goons). doesn't look fun.

Prediction: weak, but might be okay for those times when you have a coin left over. doesn't look interesting though.

Refuge: The trade-off for the gaining might be good, but it could do without the drawing in the buy phase.

Salvage Yard: Looks good for games with tfb or trashing attacks.

Time walk: I might like it if the duration token was a one-shot (gets removed after it turns the card into a duration once). But if the duration token stays, it could cost $8 and still might be broken.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 09:25:06 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 10:43:57 pm »

Artisan
+1 Buy

Clarification: if several cards are tied for least expensive, you choose which one of them to gain a copy of.

Nice idea, but maybe a little plain and probably very hard to use most of the time.

Bootstraps
Once per turn: Look through your discard pile. You may put a card from your discard pile into your hand. Play an Action card from your hand.

I think this costs way too much.  When are you going to be willing to pay $6 and a buy just to draw and play something?  Even if you get the best card in your deck every time (which isn't guaranteed), you still only want this if the best card in your deck can generate at least +$6, +1 buy on average right?  Not to mention most of the things that action cards do are substantially worse in the buy phase.  +Actions does nothing, +cards does nothing since you can't play treasures anymore.  I have a hard time seeing any use for this.

Okay but let's say the price is bumped way down so it's reasonable balance-wise.  I'm still not really sold on the idea.  It just seems like it'll be too niche, but maybe there's something there.

Border Crossing
Move your Gaining token to an Action Supply pile (when you buy a card from that pile, you may gain a cheaper card.)

Cute name.  To be honest, I'm not a fan of tokens doing things when you buy cards from the pile, rather than play them.  I guess that means I'm also not a fan of the trashing token.  Not a bad idea though.

Call to Arms
If it's face up, each other player discards down to three cards. Gain a Gold for each card discarded in this way.

I think this scales weirdly in multi-player.  Like, gaining four golds for two $5 buys is a lot, and six is insane, plus you get a discard attack too.  I guess it doesn't always work that way if someone else bought it before you in the same round.  Huh, that makes it more interesting I guess.

Discovery

I think this is too similar to Summon.  You get the added benefit of being able to choose any card to top-deck, but you don't get the pseudo +1 card, +1 action at the start of the next turn.

Dragon's Offerings
Trash a card costing less than this from the Supply. Put this in front of yourself. At the start of each of your turns, if this is in front of you, you may gain a non-Victory card costing less than a card another player gained on his previous turn.

So I guess the trashing part is to make sure games don't stalemate.  It has sort of a funny interaction with Fortress.  I think the idea of making an event that you can buy from other players is clever, but I'm not so sure about this particular effect.  I'm worried that this card is going to feel bad like Possession, or make games stop, or both.  Either you feel bad about buying a good card because you know the other player is going to get a good card because of it, or you just have to keep buying this back from them.  I think it feels worse than Smugglers because you know it's happening every turn until you do something about it.

Event

Seems interesting.  I'm not a huge fan of cheaper events, but I think this one is a pretty nice idea.

Odyssey
The player to your left moves your +1 Card and +1 Action tokens to an Action Supply pile (when you play a card from that pile, you first get +1 Card, +1 Action).

I think this one might be my favorite.  There are probably a fair amount of boards where it's a dud, just because you don't want a cantrip version of the worst card.  But it seems like it will often change games in a way that makes them a lot more interesting by giving you reason to make use of otherwise bad cards.

Also, random note.  It's crazy that there is nothing alphabetically between "Event" and "Odyssey".

Plague
Pay the cost of an action card in the supply to set it aside as a plague card. At the end of the game plague cards score an additional -1VP.

I had a thing typed out about how this didn't work, but then I realized I was understanding it wrong.  I think I like this one a lot too.  It forces you to be careful about buying too many of one card.  I'm worried that it discourages you from buying action cards too much though, and also that it's going to be really powerful in the late game.

Prediction
+1 Buy

Don't think it does enough to be worth paying $1 for.  Scouting Party seems generally better.  Either way, I don't think we need another Event to fill this role.

Refuge
+2 Cards; +1 Buy
Once per turn: Each player (including you) may discard an Action card. If they do, they gain an Action card costing up to $5.

Not really a fan of this one, not sure why.  Maybe it's good.

Salvage Yard
Discard any number of cards from your hand. Gain a card from the trash costing up to $2 per card discarded.

I like this one.  A lot of times it won't do much (sometimes it'll do nothing at all, sort of like Conspirator, but that seems more acceptable for events).  But sometimes it'll give you interesting options in the late game especially.  The main concern is that it's too niche.  It could maybe cost $0 and/or give +1 buy.

Time Walk
Put your Duration token on a non-duration Action-supply pile. At the end of the turn, instead of discarding the action from play, set it aside and play the action again at the start of your turn, discarding it from play at the end of that turn.

This one is pretty interesting and might be fun, but I think there will be too much confusion to be worthwhile.  Also I think it needs to cost a lot more than $5 but it's hard to say because it's such a unique effect.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 11:44:29 pm »
+1

I guess it will be obvious which card is mine now, but maybe I misunderstood some "hard coded" rule when I designed this...

The idea behind Bootstraps is to "reset" your turn. It's not cheap, but the implications is that you can do something better if you had another chance. Pulling yourself up by your bootstraps, or so the saying goes.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2016, 12:42:51 am »

Plague: I think this should have a set cost and not be cheap. If you win the curse split, you can make that difference even bigger. This is also really strong against Gardens, Goons, or Vineyard and probably others (unless you have good trashing with Goons). doesn't look fun.

I think you missed that it only works on actions, which should take care of some of the problems you mentioned.  But yeah, a fixed price is simpler and maybe better anyway.

I guess it will be obvious which card is mine now, but maybe I misunderstood some "hard coded" rule when I designed this...

The idea behind Bootstraps is to "reset" your turn. It's not cheap, but the implications is that you can do something better if you had another chance. Pulling yourself up by your bootstraps, or so the saying goes.

That makes more sense.  I don't think that's how it would work as worded though.  Having actions in your "action pool" doesn't let you play more actions during your buy phase, and you can't play more treasures after you've bought something.  So as written the only way you could play several actions is with things like Throne Room, Golem, Herald, etc., and the only real benefits you can get are from +$ and +buy, and "lasting" effects (like gaining, trashing, durations, etc.).

To make it work the way you want, you would have to say "you get another action phase" or something like that.  That version could be really interesting.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2016, 12:56:05 am »

I think you missed that it only works on actions, which should take care of some of the problems you mentioned.  But yeah, a fixed price is simpler and maybe better anyway.
oops. I take back what I said then.

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2016, 12:58:19 am »

That makes more sense.  I don't think that's how it would work as worded though.  Having actions in your "action pool" doesn't let you play more actions during your buy phase, and you can't play more treasures after you've bought something.  So as written the only way you could play several actions is with things like Throne Room, Golem, Herald, etc., and the only real benefits you can get are from +$ and +buy, and "lasting" effects (like gaining, trashing, durations, etc.).

To make it work the way you want, you would have to say "you get another action phase" or something like that.  That version could be really interesting.
Well, that was roughly what the intention of the card is. I tend to use terms and phrases that already exist on words. This was something we don't have precedent for, so I went with something more familiar.

Is this a better way to say that?
Bootstraps
Once per turn: Look through your discard pile. You may put a card from your discard pile into your hand. Return to your action phase and play an Action card from your hand.

It just feels like too many words. I think that would work though?

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2016, 03:28:36 am »

Artisan
+1 Buy

This could be so swingy. You won't want it with Copper in play, so it probably isn't going to be a reliable gainer.

Bootstraps
As stated in a previous reply: The intention (and high cost, and once per turn) is to return to the action phase to possibly salvage an otherwise not-great turn. After reading comments it probably needs "+1 Buy" to actually work as a reset as well.

Border Crossing
New Token? I want to put that token on Border Village, and overpay on a Stonemason with Haggler in play...

Call to Arms
Wow, lots of Gold possible for $5. Ignoring cost, this would probably feel better if it didn't scale so much in multiplayer.

Discovery
Probably useful, but isn't very interesting otherwise.

Dragon's Offerings
So much... Is there a way to make this work without so many instructions.

Event
So, junk the other player but give them more to spend this turn.

Odyssey
Same supply pile, right? Would you buy a Scout?

Plague

So this set-aside land is different than the player set-aside lands from Prince and Inheritance?

Prediction
+1 Buy
I'm having trouble seeing the utility here.

Refuge
+2 Cards; +1 Buy

I'm getting AP just thinking about this card. Would definitely want on a board without villages.

Salvage Yard
I think there should be a guaranteed way to trash cards.

Time Walk
This could be fun. I'd like to see it in action though.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2016, 04:46:56 am »

re: Refuge:
Am I wrong or is +2 cards useless in your buy phase? You can't play those cards even if they're treasures.

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2016, 07:11:46 am »

Plague

I think I must be understanding this wrongly.  Plague cards are worth -1VP, but are never in players' decks.  So set-aside-land is on negative VP?

Actually, while typing this out, I think maybe it means:

Pay the cost of an action card in the supply and set it aside.  Cards from that card's supply pile are Plague cards.  At the end of the game plague cards score an additional -1VP.

Is that right?

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2016, 07:47:59 am »
+1

Plague

I think I must be understanding this wrongly.  Plague cards are worth -1VP, but are never in players' decks.  So set-aside-land is on negative VP?

Actually, while typing this out, I think maybe it means:

Pay the cost of an action card in the supply and set it aside.  Cards from that card's supply pile are Plague cards.  At the end of the game plague cards score an additional -1VP.

Is that right?

The way I understand it (and I'm pretty confident I'm right): You pay 4 coins to set aside a Smithy. (nowhere close to any deck, let's say on the plague mat). Every other Smithy that has been bought and stays in anybodies deck is worth -1VP at the end of the game.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2016, 07:48:43 am »
+1

Am I wrong or is +2 cards useless in your buy phase? You can't play those cards even if they're treasures.

I think this is supposed to be self-synergizing.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2016, 07:50:16 am »

Oooh it would be fun, but:
"Clarification: You can only buy this once per turn."

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2016, 08:50:15 am »

I should be mentioned: I don't like Adventures very much or its Event tokens, so I am not likely to enjoy many of these cards.

Artisan
+1 Buy

Issues with Potion-cost cards aside, similarities to Pilgrimage make this less than interesting.

Bootstraps
The concept of playing Actions in the Buy phase is not a particularly compelling one. The card has to: Order the deck, trash cards, gain cards, or give +$ and +Buys directly to be useful.
Even if it is supposed to "reset" you to your Action phase (which it doesn't, since it doesn't say that), then it still doesn't work very well since the played card needs to give +Buys to not neuter your turn.

Border Crossing
This just further incentivizes piling out a fairly expensive card that you already want to pile out.

Call to Arms
I'm going to assume we cap this properly so that a 4-player game doesn't have players gaining 6 Golds.

Discovery
Similarities to Summon make this fairly boring. The fact that it is not restricted to putting the gained card on top of your deck is insufficient to differentiate it.

Dragon's Offerings
The idea of using the Event itself as a token is clever, but this effect might not be a lot of fun to play with. Buying it from other players would probably be too automatic in 2-player (which is probably why it forces trashing from the Supply) and it might get into left-right binding territory in multiplayer.

Event
Ha... Copper junking doesn't scale properly between player counts, and I don't think this does enough damage to be worth spending a Buy in Kingdoms where those +Buys are scarce.

Odyssey
I like that it differentiates itself from other vanilla token bonuses by making another player place it. I'm not a huge fan of the token itself, but I think the placement mechanism is good enough.

Plague

I do like that its effect compounds itself rather than replacing itself, so the card is probably not too automatic, but it ultimately discourages Actions, so no.

Prediction
+1 Buy
As if Scouting Party wasn't underwhelming enough. The idea is likely that it can be bought with every extra coin, but I'm not a big fan of a card I'll simply buy because I have money.

Refuge
+2 Cards; +1 Buy

Drawing cards in the Buy phase is not very exciting because you can't do anything with the cards in your hand. In this case, it is digging for Action cards to discard so you can gain more Actions, but since you can only buy it once, I can't imagine ever buying it without already having an Action in my hand. (Also, the +Cards need to be under the "Once per turn" clause to actually be affected)

Salvage Yard
So there is always the chance that there will be no good cards ending up in the trash, but is that a problem with an Event? It is not like we're reducing the size of the Kingdom.

Time Walk
I'm not positive if this one works as written. The token does nothing but remind of an effect, but then it doesn't go away to stop reminding about it. It's probably stupidly strong if +Buys are available and only useful to swing up in economy crazily without them.

So for anyone keeping note, I like:
Odyssey
Salvage Yard
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 04:50:44 pm by Fragasnap »
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2016, 03:47:45 pm »

Bootstraps
Once per turn: Look through your discard pile. You may put a card from your discard pile into your hand. Return to your action phase and play an Action card from your hand.

It just feels like too many words. I think that would work though?

Instead of "play an Action card from your hand", can't you just have the event give +1 Action?

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2016, 03:49:18 pm »

You can draw an Action card to discard with Refuge though. Plus cycling I guess.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2016, 03:52:30 pm »

Oooh it would be fun, but:
"Clarification: You can only buy this once per turn."

Maybe it's better that way, since otherwise you can keep drawing Action cards over and over again if your deck is empty, thereby emptying Action supply piles in one turn.

Edit: Triple posting without giving my thoughts? Uh, I guess I'm lazier these days. I like Artisan, Border Crossing, and Salvage Yard the most. Maybe Discovery would be better if it costs $4 and gained a $3 card to differentiate it from Summon. $3 cost cards are often pretty good purchases for $4 anyway. That's not the case when buying a $4 for $5 all that often.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 04:00:17 pm by markusin »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.