Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Adventures Cards: Coin of the Realm  (Read 12086 times)

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Adventures Cards: Coin of the Realm
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2016, 10:29:00 am »
+3

The coolest thing, I think, is that it works so, so, well with discard attacks with draw, like Torturer, Margrave, and Mercenary. Sometimes you're like, man, I have a hand of Mercenary - Copper - Copper - Silver - Village, what do I discard when my opponent plays Mercenary on me? There's a distinct 'first player to play discard attack advantage'.  Well, not to worry, you can keep Mercenary + two junk and call the Coin off your Tavern mat to continue your turn.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Adventures Cards: Coin of the Realm
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2016, 11:35:05 am »
+2

It's a weaker Fishing Village.

I understand the comparison, and maybe it's the fact that the card started out much closer to FV before it was ever a treasure that this is so distinct to me, but play this kingdom with Fishing Village instead of Coin and tell me it's remotely the same:

Witch, Embassy, Lost City, Coin of the Realm, Horse Traders, Baron, Secret Chamber, Advisor, Haggler, Ghost Ship (I refer to this kingdom a lot because it's a great example)

I feel like the comparison to Fishing Village is useful, but it's dangerous after a certain point, because you play it entirely differently. Fishing Village is much easier to pick up because it's better economically by a lot so you can still hit $5. But you have to play around the fact that later on if you don't get your FVs into play every turn, that your deck just might completely crash and burn and you're just totally screwed. When you buy these cards requires a totally different set of planning and calculations to do it right.

People are talking about the card rankings. I put Coin 5th in its category -- Chapel and Peasant are above it and I think that's pretty clear. Save and Borrow are also above it because Events are so stinkin' good -- they have a much smaller opportunity cost, you know? I like where I put Coin :)
The important thing here is to not play FV's like an idiot.

If you have 5 FV's, don't play 5 FV's during a single turn.
After the duration turn, they all get shuffled back in and you might draw a hand with all terminals and no FV's, or you might draw a hand with all FV's and no terminals.

Just try to play 2-3 every turn and you'll be fine.

If there is clickable stuff in my hand, by god, I'm going to click it.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.