Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Seasons  (Read 160366 times)

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Seasons - the set the community has been waiting for!
« Reply #475 on: March 14, 2016, 05:12:48 pm »
+1

Damned, i left out a space... Sorry for that.

Two, actually. But I forgive you for the other one.
Where's the second?

Between "Fall:" and "+Buy".  :)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: March 15, 2016, 03:15:06 am »

The thought behind this order is that, if you start in Spring, it becomes as good as $3 in Summer and gets betger ftom there. Like Sanitarium, this means getting the Village overly early. If you skip Spring, it's still cantrip, Market Square, Market. Depending on your needs that might be fine. It's Fall where things start being too late now.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: March 22, 2016, 11:33:34 am »
+1

I just printed Bailig, Ballroom, Plantation, Restore, Sanitarium, (the first version of) student and Trade port.

One question: what's the way to use Bailiff? Do I need to try to get two cards, or can I try to get one card and 'fail' to get a second one (in the hypotethical situation that there are no coppers or silvers, for example.)

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: March 22, 2016, 11:42:31 am »

I just printed Bailig, Ballroom, Plantation, Restore, Sanitarium, (the first version of) student and Trade port.

One question: what's the way to use Bailiff? Do I need to try to get two cards, or can I try to get one card and 'fail' to get a second one (in the hypotethical situation that there are no coppers or silvers, for example.)

It's intended that you first choose a VP card costing at most $3 more, then gain an appropriate Treasure if you can.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: March 22, 2016, 11:50:08 am »

It's intended that you first choose a VP card costing at most $3 more, then gain an appropriate Treasure if you can.

How do you mean: at most $3 more? Do you mean $5?

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: March 22, 2016, 02:18:07 pm »

How do you mean: at most $3 more? Do you mean $5?

Oops, yes. I was thinking of my Assemble when writing "$3 more".

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 22, 2016, 05:46:03 pm »

Thanks! That's the most intuïtive way of using that card. I am surprised people were so confused by it.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 22, 2016, 06:09:24 pm »

The first post says 12 cards+1 event, But I only count eleven cards. Have you finished the set or is the last card still in the works?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 06:49:02 pm by ThetaSigma12 »
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 22, 2016, 06:42:24 pm »
+9

New board: Canadian seasons!  I opted to be realistic instead of going for the old "winter and road construction" joke.

Credit for base images to IrvingGFM.

Made in honour of this week's sudden snowfall where I live after it seemed like winter was over.  I was too lazy to actually put in text, but you get the gist. :)

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 22, 2016, 08:40:03 pm »
+1

The first post says 12 cards+1 event, But I only count eleven cards. Have you finished the set or is the last card still in the works?

We had one additional card which we killed, it was the Season Looter. Recently we worked on a replacement attack, but kind of got too busy with other stuff. Sorry for that. It's sad to admit it, but i think we are done for now.

As a (weak) consolation, here's the Reserve Outtake:

Note: I thought about ramping it up to $4 in Winter, but CL thought it was too much, and either way we didn't feel it was interesting enough so we didn't test it. It's either a Reserve Woodcutter or a bundle of coin tokens (Peltmonger's a Job, right?), and neither is that fantastic.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 22, 2016, 09:01:17 pm »
+2

Peltmonger
Types: Action, Reserve, Season
Cost: $4
Put this on your Tavern Mat.
At the start of your Buy phase, you may call this, for +1 Buy, +$2 and an additional +$1 in Winter.
I don't like it for being a reserve card, but beyond that I think the issue is that an unconditional +1 Buy whenever you want it gives fairly boring consistency. Consider Coin of the Realm which makes its on-demand +actions interesting by giving you tons of +actions, more than you can likely use the first chance you get to play Coin of the Realm. Unfortunately, many +actions can be useful in the latter portion of a game, but many +buys is only really useful with cost reduction. I think to make it interesting you would have to make a limitation to the +buy somehow.

Sojourner
Types: Action, Season
Cost: $2
+1 Action, +1VP. Trash this. In Spring: +$2. In Summer: Trash 2 cards from your hand. In Fall: +2 Cards. In Winter: +2 Buys.
I don't like this for using VP tokens. Further I don't like that it is so much better than Estates. You compare it to Distant Lands, but that is hardly a fair comparison. Distant Lands is a junk card that does nothing until you play it and costs you an +action and a card from your hand when you do. You don't want Distant Lands until as late as possible, but you have to play them for them to be worth anything. Sojourner you can buy pretty much any time, is free to play, and even gives you a benefit when you play it in addition to those VP!

Bailiff
Cost: $3
In Spring and Summer: Trash 3 cards from your hand and gain a card costing up to the total cost of the trashed cards in coins. In Fall and Winter: Gain a Victory card, and then a Treasure card, with a total cost of up to $5.
This is too strong. I'll never not open Bailiff and the delta of randomness between getting it to collide with 3 Estates or no Estates is much bigger than the already king of swingy trashing Chapel, and it shifts to gain Duchies rapidly with an effect akin to a $5 card once it is done trashing.

Snow Witch
Types: Action, Attack, Season
+2 Cards. You may put a card from your hand on top of your deck. In Fall and Winter: Each other player gains a Curse.
This one is neat. I think you overvalue the number of Kingdoms you'll be able to play many of them as soon as Fall starts. I've played games with you before, and I think you construct your Kingdoms a little too much: In more random Kingdoms drawing your deck isn't always possible.

Student
+1 Action. You may move your following token to the Student pile (when you play a Student, you first get those bonuses): In Spring: +$1 token; In Summer: +1 Action token; In Fall: +1 Buy token; in Winter: +1 Card token.
I don't like that it uses the Adventures tokens, monopolizing all of them in the event that there the other cards that use those tokens, but even without that, I'm not a big fan of cards that you want to piledrive.

Sanitarium
+2 Actions. Draw until you have 5 cards in hand.
When you gain this in Spring, you may trash a card from your hand.
I think this is too strong, even sans the trashing on-gain. Similarly to Lighthouse, I worry about Sanitarium making hand-size Attacks totally irrelevant, especially when Sanitarium is a splitter you'd want to amass in the first place.

Ballroom
Cost: $5
In Spring and Summer: Gain an Action costing less than this. Play it. In Fall and Winter: You may choose an Action from your hand. Play it twice.
Best card in the set.

Plantation
+2 Cards, +$1. In Summer and Winter: Choose one: +1 Card; or +$1.
When you gain this, you may move the Season marker forth or back 1 section.
I don't like how hard the "choose one" is to track: I'd rather it be a choose-and-forget option. I like the on-gain though.

Restore
+1 Action. Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing . . . up to $3 more than the trashed card in Spring; up to $2 more than in Summer or Fall; up to $1 more in Winter.
I played with this Expanding in Summer and Remodeling in Spring and liked that pretty well. It gets weak enough in Winter and enough games last until Spring that I wouldn't recommend having this Expand in Spring.

Trade Port
Types: Action, Duration, Season
At the start of each of your turns in Spring, Summer, and Fall for the rest of the game: +1 Buy, +$1. (This stays in play)
I don't like it for being a Duration card, on top of its similarities to Treasury. The latter could possibly be solved. The former cannot.

Timberland
Types: Victory, Season
Cost: $7*
4VP.
This costs $3 less in Spring, $2 less in Summer, and $1 less in Fall (but not less than $0).
The big problem is that enough games are going to end in Spring that the cost decrement is just ridiculous and renders Duchies pointless. I would rather see this granting 3VP (costing $6, $3, $3, and $6) so that its variable price would be more fun with trash-for-benefit effects, rather than it being a simple Duchy substitute.

Wayfare
Types: Event, Season
Once per game: Move your Wayfare token to a Season on the Season mat (at the start of each of your turns in that Season, you get +1 Card, +1 Action, +$1.
I think with +1 Card you will always want Wayfare in Summer and possibly even Spring if your first turn is $4. I'd make it +1 Buy instead. +$1 makes you want it now, but +1 Action and +1 Buy would be enough to make you want to push it until later.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 22, 2016, 10:46:51 pm »

We had one additional card which we killed, it was the Season Looter. Recently we worked on a replacement attack, but kind of got too busy with other stuff. Sorry for that. It's sad to admit it, but i think we are done for now.

As a (weak) consolation, here's the Reserve Outtake:

Note: I thought about ramping it up to $4 in Winter, but CL thought it was too much, and either way we didn't feel it was interesting enough so we didn't test it. It's either a Reserve Woodcutter or a bundle of coin tokens (Peltmonger's a Job, right?), and neither is that fantastic.

It's true, it's not great, but it seems fixable.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 23, 2016, 06:05:36 am »
+2

I am off to work right now, but a few things:

You do NOT want Distant Lands as late as possible. In fact, you want a continuous stream of Distand Lands over the game. If you think DL sucks because you try to make it work only shortly before the game ends, it's no wonder the comparison with Sojourner makes no sense to you. Also, it's not like Sojourner does anything before you play it, either. In fact, only very few cards do.

I construct my kingdoms to make sure the interactions i want to playtest are included. If i fear Sanitarium's too good with discard attacks, for example, i wouldn't hope to randomly draw a discard attack. I'm not playing a random game of Dominion, it's a test case. In that sense, Sanitarium does make discard attacks unattractive. Compared to normal Village, it has the downside of not working as well with drawing strategies, which keeps it fine, power-wise. I'd often prefer another Village.

Plantation's option ccan't be tracked, and that's admittedly not cool. It's not worse than Minion or Pawn, though.

Your concerns about Timberland are fair and the reason why we haven't decided on its form yet. I admit it has some issues right now.

Not liking Duration, Reserve or token cards is fine, but not an issue for me. Also, Peltmonger's coins are much more important than its buys. The buy is just a bonus. In fact, i'm not sure whether your comlaint is "You will always use this immediately" or "you can keep this until you need it, and that's lame". Using Peltmonger at the first opportunity (this buy phase) is usually much worse than using it next turn, so i disagree to the first. And, being limited by being terminall, it's not all that easy to provide consistency with it. Also, to have so.ething prepared for when you need it is the main point of Reserves. I mean, it's fine if you don't like that, but it's not like everybody can be pleased.

Bailiff might in fact be too strong.

Student uses all the tokens, sure. I don't see why that's a problem, though. It's not like you couldn't use the other cards anymore. You will have to decide, but i can imagine a few decks where you use Training to shift your +action directly to your terminal draw after a while. Also, if you try to piledrive them before they turn actually useful, you are going to have a bad time.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 23, 2016, 06:47:12 am »
+2

I just thought that the Season mechanic might be a way to implement an auto-attacking Event without it being too oppressive. As an example:

Wolf Packs - 2c Event - Season
+1 Buy

In games using this, at the end of each player's turn in Winter, they trash a card from their hand if they didn't buy this.
(they trash after drawing)

Is it too random? Too expensive? Too weak? A fundamentally bad idea?

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 23, 2016, 07:05:42 am »

I am thinking about the reserve mechanic and the season mechanic and there must be a great way of combining those two.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 23, 2016, 08:00:37 am »

I am thinking about the reserve mechanic and the season mechanic and there must be a great way of combining those two.
Sure, you can do some kind of harvesty thing.

For instance:

Orchard
In Spring or Summer: Put this on the tavern mat.
You can call this during Fall or Winter for X

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 23, 2016, 08:10:33 am »

Haha, yes, this is a great way of doing it.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 23, 2016, 08:55:08 am »

Do you guys mind if I create my own thread for making Season card ideas? I'll give credit to you for the original mechanic, of course.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 23, 2016, 08:56:11 am »

I already asked, and they wanted to wait a bit,  I think. ^^
A specific thread for fan cards of Seasons would be great, though.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 23, 2016, 09:24:32 am »
+5

About Season fan cards:
I can not speak for the both of us, but as far as i am concerned, it's cool. We are both very busy right now and i don't know when we'll finish this. So from my point, go for it.

However, if you want to be sure, you might want to wait for CookieLord to reply on this, too. Or wait a sensible amount of time for him to reply, you know. In either case, we demand credit by building life-sized statues of ourselves, preferrably from Baklava. Or writing that the Season idea was ours, whatever you prefer.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: March 23, 2016, 09:29:03 am »

About Season fan cards:
I can not speak for the both of us, but as far as i am concerned, it's cool. We are both very busy right now and i don't know when we'll finish this. So from my point, go for it.

However, if you want to be sure, you might want to wait for CookieLord to reply on this, too. Or wait a sensible amount of time for him to reply, you know. In either case, we demand credit by building life-sized statues of ourselves, preferrably from Baklava. Or writing that the Season idea was ours, whatever you prefer.

I have no idea what either of you look like, so I will go with the 2nd option.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 23, 2016, 09:49:08 am »
+1

Man, that sounds hard. :/

I'll just build a life size statue.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 23, 2016, 12:20:49 pm »
+2

About Season fan cards:

I have no idea what either of you look like, so I will go with the 2nd option.

That's fine, I hate baklava anyway. I'm cool  with you publishing your own Season card ideas; we're all like a big familiy here.

Although Asper and I put work on Seasons to a halt, it's starting to bug me that the last ideas we talked about, including some updated versions of cards already uploaded, have not been published, yet. So I'm going to make a few mock-ups and post them all together here before the end of the week to to finally conclude my due in this project for the time being. When I'm done with that, please feel free to add and expand on this set.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 12:21:52 pm by Co0kieL0rd »
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 23, 2016, 12:31:24 pm »

Would you also be willing to share the template then? That would be great. :)

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 23, 2016, 12:42:16 pm »

Peltmonger
Types: Action, Reserve, Season
+Buy
+$2
If it's spring or summer +2$ and put this on your tavern mat.
------------
If it's fall, you may call this from your tavern mat. If you do: +Buy, +$2
If it's winter, you may call this from tavern mat. If you do: +Buy, +$4

One shot $4 in spring and summer. In fall you can use it, but you *really* want to use it again in winter. It's a sad woodcutter afterwards.

War village
Types: Action, Attack, Looter, Season
+1 Card
+2 Actions
If it's summer or spring: all other players gain a ruin.
If it's fall or winter: all other players draw a card.

Just some quick thoughts.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 01:30:10 pm by AdrianHealey »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.