Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 25  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Seasons  (Read 161082 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Seasons - the set the community has been waiting for!
« Reply #450 on: February 28, 2016, 10:29:26 am »

We pondered a Season-Reserve. It was fine, but didn't seem original enough.

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 28, 2016, 12:11:47 pm »
+1

Are you taking suggestions?

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1679
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 28, 2016, 06:13:23 pm »
+1

And another thing you could do...

Hey, everyone's free to make their own season cards if they like.  I'm sure Asper and Cookielord wouldn't mind, but OTOH, you don't need their permission anyway.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 28, 2016, 08:59:07 pm »
+2

And another thing you could do...

Hey, everyone's free to make their own season cards if they like.  I'm sure Asper and Cookielord wouldn't mind, but OTOH, you don't need their permission anyway.

Careful there. We know where you live.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1679
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 28, 2016, 09:06:33 pm »
+1

Careful there. We know where you live.
yeah, come look for me. I live in the stories I read and write.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 09:08:26 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 29, 2016, 04:47:25 am »
+6

Hmm, seems like you could lots of fun and original stuff.

Something powerful that you can only call in fall or winter.
So basically you buy and play it in spring or summer and it just slumbers until it's cold enough to come out.

For instance:
Æstivation - $3
Action - Reserve

Put this on your tavern mat.
--------------------------
Once per turn during Fall or Winter: If the previous turn wasn't yours, you may call this to take another turn after this one.
This card may only be gained or played during Spring and Summer

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 29, 2016, 05:19:25 am »
+4

Hmm, seems like you could lots of fun and original stuff.

Something powerful that you can only call in fall or winter.
So basically you buy and play it in spring or summer and it just slumbers until it's cold enough to come out.

For instance:
Æstivation - $3
Action - Reserve

Put this on your tavern mat.
--------------------------
Once per turn during Fall or Winter: If the previous turn wasn't yours, you may call this to take another turn after this one.
This card may only be gained or played during Spring and Summer

If I may suggest a tweak (you don't know where I live, do you?):

Pickles -3c
Action Season Reserve
+1coin
If it is Spring or Summer, put this on your Tavern mat.
------
Once per turn during Fall and Winter: If the previous turn wasn't yours, you may call this to take another turn after this one.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 05:29:09 am by Accatitippi »

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 29, 2016, 05:35:16 am »
+3

I was thinking more along the lines of:

Golden apple
Treasure - Reserve - Season - $4
Worth $3
When you play this, put it on your tavern mat.
--
At the start of each season, you may discard this from your tavern mat.
If you do, you may put your deck into your discard pile.

461.weavile

• Salvager
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
    • Itemfinder RPG
« Reply #458 on: February 29, 2016, 10:47:51 pm »
+1

Golden apple
Worth $3
--

A cheap Gold that you can't use more than 3 times the whole game? Still seems too expensive, even with the deck shuffling, which might even be a drawback sometimes.

Sorry, that was probably unnecessarily critical. It's a potentiall interesting idea, but make it feel more like a one-shot action and it might get you somewhere
Warlords and Wizards is my favorite expansion.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 29, 2016, 11:21:12 pm »
+2

Golden apple
Worth $3
--

even with the deck shuffling, which might even be a drawback sometimes.
It is optional

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1683
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 29, 2016, 11:25:18 pm »
+1

Golden apple
Worth $3
--

A cheap Gold that you can't use more than 3 times the whole game? Still seems too expensive, even with the deck shuffling, which might even be a drawback sometimes.

Sorry, that was probably unnecessarily critical. It's a potentially interesting idea, but make it feel more like a one-shot action and it might get you somewhere

The Seasons loop. It can be activated more times than just that.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

461.weavile

• Salvager
    • View Profile
    • Itemfinder RPG
« Reply #461 on: February 29, 2016, 11:55:36 pm »
+1

The Seasons loop. It can be activated more times than just that.

Yeah, I was just generalizing, because the games rarely make it to a second year, and have only made it to a second summer once in the history of testing. I would also bet that some Plantation games see less seasons than usual. I could've been more generous and said 4 or 5, but if you get it back in the fifth summer, your deck is probably 40+ cards (or you got locked into a hand of 5 cards while the other player is just playing monument and some attack, then this card would be powerful) and you aren't likely to see it again anyway. I still think it should be a one-shot-esque card to only be called when the season changes.

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 01, 2016, 03:04:32 am »
+1

I still think it should be a one-shot-esque card to only be called when the season changes.

You wanted a one-shotty action, I wanted a treasure because they haven't got a Season-Treasure yet, and it amused me to see them make a yellow-beige-pink card.

I priced it at $4 so that everyone could have one in time for the first shuffle, so that that one could come out four times.  At $3 it would be fighting with Silver, so I'd start playtesting it at $4, but if it had to come down it would have to come down.  Maybe it wouldn't, though.  People are pretty happy to get a Spoils.

461.weavile

• Salvager
    • View Profile
    • Itemfinder RPG
« Reply #463 on: March 01, 2016, 01:52:55 pm »
+2

I still think it should be a one-shot-esque card to only be called when the season changes.

You wanted a one-shotty action, I wanted a treasure because they haven't got a Season-Treasure yet, and it amused me to see them make a yellow-beige-pink card.

I priced it at $4 so that everyone could have one in time for the first shuffle, so that that one could come out four times.  At $3 it would be fighting with Silver, so I'd start playtesting it at $4, but if it had to come down it would have to come down.  Maybe it wouldn't, though.  People are pretty happy to get a Spoils.

Maybe it isn't too weak for 4 and I just don't understand it without playing it first. I was too critical for no reason, I suppose. 4 is a huge drop down from 6 anyway. Who knows?

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 01, 2016, 03:26:28 pm »
+1

Regarding Wayfair - I don't like the way that it penalizes the order of having a 4/3 start vs. a 3/4 start.  Maybe this is inconsequential... I don't know because I've never played with it.  But I would wager that a turn 1 Wayfair for Spring almost guarantees $5 or higher for turns 2-5.  That with the early game cycling boost is a huge advantage.  If you buy a turn 2 Warfair for Spring then you only get 3 turns out of it and have a $3 cost card and 3 $5+ cost cards.

The thing about this event is that it's kinda like coin tokens.  In most situations, the best coin token is a spent coin token.  Tokens sitting in your supply are one's that have not been used to improve your deck.  So if you wait until Summer or Fall, then you miss out on a great early opportunity to improve your deck early.  Just like in Colony game where your first Platinum snowballs you into more Platinum, a better early deck will snowball you to a better mid-game deck.

Consider this roller coaster analogy.  Two roller coasters side by side are racing to the bottom of the hill.  The first coaster has a steeper initial drop but levels out slightly at the bottom before the finish.  The second coaster has a more gradual initial slope but has a steep drop to the finish.  The first coaster will win the race because got up to speed faster than the second coaster.

One thought to change it is to make it cost $3.  That way both players can get it on a 3/4 or 4/3 split on turn 1.  But then it really becomes a must buy on turn 1 in almost all games and doesn't change the dynamics of play too much.

My idea is to change it as follows.  Give Wayfair a mat with tokens.  Once per game, when you buy this place 5 Way-tokens on your Way-mat.  Once, at the start of your turn, you may spend a token to receive....... Then make the bonuses scale with the season.  That forces a decision between smaller earlier gains compared to a more sizable end-game boost.  Spring can stay the same.  Summer could maybe get an extra Coin.  Fall gets maybe an extra card.  Then maybe give winter a +Buy.  With each season getting all of the bonuses of the previous season.  Now I don't know how easy it would be to get all of that text concisely written.  But I think it gets in the spirit of having the seasonal boost that Wayfair provides but also the strategic choice of a small early game boon vs. a large end-game payload.

Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +864
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: March 01, 2016, 05:02:45 pm »
+2

Regarding Wayfair ...

I think it's highly board dependent when it's best to buy Wayfare. Buying it in Spring means forsaking at least one turn with Wayfare bonuses as well as the +action for all Spring turns (as you probably won't have that many terminals in the early game). Maybe the early game boost is still more significant than I think but I reckon you overestimate the advantage of 4/3 vs. 3/4 opening.

Reducing the cost to $3 has the problems you mentioned whereas raising the cost to $5 would mean that you probably won't buy it in Spring and it becomes a tougher decision whether you buy it in general. That would be the change I'd prefer if we find Wayfare to be too linear or un-dynamic. Another possibility would be to take away the +$1 and decrease the cost to $3.

I'm not sure I fully grasp your suggested change but it looks highly complicated and also probably similar to what Student and Sojourner do. The decision which Season gets the Wayfare bonus is already strategic enough in my opinion.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: March 02, 2016, 03:05:18 am »
+1

Note: On a $3/$4 opening, you have one less Wayfare turn when putting it on Spring, but also your first buy makes it into the shuffle, meaning you can make better use of Wayfare. I see there's a difference, but it's not as bad as you make it sound. Also, the action bonus already means that you lose part of its power in Spring, as Co0kieL0rd said. That said, ii'd rather not have Wayfare at all than have it require a mat.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 03:06:19 am by Asper »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: March 12, 2016, 10:17:31 am »
+2

Seasons is endangered to leave the front page because CL and me are busy. I admit he's doing more for the set than me right now. I guess we should call this the "post-big-reveal" phase of Seasons. Feel free to discuss your own Season ideas (i hope i didn't say too much there...)

Either way, we will try the following order for Student:
Spring: +1 Action
Summer: +1 Card
Fall Autumn: +1 Buy
Winter: +$1

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: March 12, 2016, 10:38:56 am »
+1

Seasons is endangered to leave the front page because CL and me are busy. I admit he's doing more for the set than me right now. I guess we should call this the "post-big-reveal" phase of Seasons. Feel free to discuss your own Season ideas (i hope i didn't say too much there...)

I just prepared a bunch of the seasons cards (I believe 10 of them) to print and add them to my binder full of fan cards that I always sprinkle in (usually: at least 2) whenever I play in RL. If you want me to add the upgraded student, then, please: post the image. (I might actually have both of them side by side in a game... and see which one gets bought more. :D)

Either way, I am pretty excited to test the Seasons expansions. Would you mind sharing a Season-card template, in order to allow people to make fan expansions of your fan expansion? :D

Edit: an interesting idea would be to make the student pile a bit like the knight pile, whereby different students have different 'orders' in which they gain stuff?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 11:11:24 am by AdrianHealey »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: March 12, 2016, 06:59:27 pm »

I just prepared a bunch of the seasons cards (I believe 10 of them) to print and add them to my binder full of fan cards that I always sprinkle in (usually: at least 2) whenever I play in RL. If you want me to add the upgraded student, then, please: post the image. (I might actually have both of them side by side in a game... and see which one gets bought more. :D)

Either way, I am pretty excited to test the Seasons expansions. Would you mind sharing a Season-card template, in order to allow people to make fan expansions of your fan expansion? :D

Edit: an interesting idea would be to make the student pile a bit like the knight pile, whereby different students have different 'orders' in which they gain stuff?

Here you go:

I think that would be too complicated. Student already is some kind of Traveller in that it evolves and gets better. Making different Students would mean they is a big difference in power level. Some would only be bought as opening buys, some would stay too bad until late. It would make player order matter more. I mean, sure, the Knights aren't exactly equal in power, but they aim to be roughly the same. Student wouldn't do that.

About a template, i'll talk with CL about this. I guess we kind of want to reveal our last card and the Reserve-Outtake before we call it "done" and offer our template, but, again, i admit we have kind of stopped posting stuff either way. Just bear with us a little longer, it's been a busy time for us all (and kind of continues to be).

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: March 14, 2016, 03:37:05 pm »
+1

Damned, i left out a space... Sorry for that.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: March 14, 2016, 03:38:03 pm »
+1

I forgive you.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: March 14, 2016, 03:46:14 pm »
+1

Two, actually. But I forgive you for the other one.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: March 14, 2016, 03:46:54 pm »
+1

Two, actually. But I forgive you for the other one.
Where's the second?
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: March 14, 2016, 04:03:27 pm »
+1

Here you go:

I think that would be too complicated. Student already is some kind of Traveller in that it evolves and gets better. Making different Students would mean they is a big difference in power level. Some would only be bought as opening buys, some would stay too bad until late. It would make player order matter more. I mean, sure, the Knights aren't exactly equal in power, but they aim to be roughly the same. Student wouldn't do that.

About a template, i'll talk with CL about this. I guess we kind of want to reveal our last card and the Reserve-Outtake before we call it "done" and offer our template, but, again, i admit we have kind of stopped posting stuff either way. Just bear with us a little longer, it's been a busy time for us all (and kind of continues to be).

Necropolis => Village => worker's village => bazaar + worker's village
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 25  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.