Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 25  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Seasons  (Read 160353 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Dominion: Seasons - the set the community has been waiting for!
« Reply #150 on: January 17, 2016, 07:57:03 pm »

Well obviously, you don buy Farming Village. But that's irrelevant. Are you denying that it has ever happened to anyone ever? Or are you admitting that your statements here are false?

I'm denying that even if it has happened to someone sometimes, it has any significant relevance on how good Farming Village is compared to Village.
I don't care about how good or not good FV is compare to Village. I care that you post obviously false and stupid statements about it rather than truthful defenses of your position.

Well, stop caring.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 17, 2016, 07:57:48 pm »
+3

Geez, GendoIkari. Stop letting Awaclus troll you. You know he's never going to admit he's wrong.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 17, 2016, 08:04:15 pm »

Please stop this.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 17, 2016, 08:11:13 pm »
+1

Guys, Farming Village is strictly worse than Village because you have to reveal the top card of your deck, so everybody knows what card you drew and can make choices accordingly.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 17, 2016, 09:19:59 pm »
+3

Please stop this.

Sorry about continuing this in your thread... back to the set! Show more cards!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 17, 2016, 09:22:11 pm »

You're using "literally" wrong again. If you play it and the top card of your deck is an estate, then you get to filter that estate.

But it's not an Estate. It's a Copper or an Action.

No, obviously not. We're discussing a scenario in which the top card is an Estate. Trivially, in that situation, the top card is not a copper or an action.
If the top card is an Estate, then perhaps you want this?
I'm a hit!
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 17, 2016, 09:24:04 pm »

You're using "literally" wrong again. If you play it and the top card of your deck is an estate, then you get to filter that estate.

What if it is an Estate that is in your deck because you started with it and you play Farming Village and it's the top card of your deck? Then what?

I'm feeding the troll!

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #157 on: January 17, 2016, 09:39:21 pm »

What if it is an Estate that is in your deck because you started with it and you play Farming Village and it's the top card of your deck? Then what?

I'm feeding the troll!
It sounds like you opened Farming Village.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 17, 2016, 10:00:30 pm »

I'm feeding the troll!
It sounds like you opened Farming Village.
Or there's no trashing or only treasure trashing.

nate_w

• Navigator
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 17, 2016, 10:33:39 pm »
+4

Man, I don't read the forums that often but this is the second time I've seen Awaculus post these ridiculous obviously false statements about farming village. It's bazaar!

Maybe my village pun can get the thread back on track to discussing these new cards that, I have to admit, are really cool ideas!

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 17, 2016, 11:23:33 pm »

I hope that either me or Co0kieL0rd will be able to post the next card tomorrow. We still have to decide which it's going to be, though.

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 17, 2016, 11:54:52 pm »
+26

and the scenario in which the top card is a flying unicorn is just as realistic as the scenario in which the top card is an Estate.

Another trivially false statement. One of these things has never happened, and is impossible to happen. The other is not only possible but has happened.

Out of the 6000+ games of Dominion I've played, I can't remember a single instance of that ever happening to me.

---------- awaclus: turn 13 ----------
awaclus - plays Farming Village
awaclus - reveals Estate, Duchy, Copper
awaclus - places Copper in hand
awaclus - discards: Estate, Duchy

http://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160113/log.0.1452694543813.txt

I'll help you remember.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #162 on: January 18, 2016, 01:37:23 am »
+1

and the scenario in which the top card is a flying unicorn is just as realistic as the scenario in which the top card is an Estate.

Another trivially false statement. One of these things has never happened, and is impossible to happen. The other is not only possible but has happened.

Out of the 6000+ games of Dominion I've played, I can't remember a single instance of that ever happening to me.

---------- awaclus: turn 13 ----------
awaclus - plays Farming Village
awaclus - reveals Estate, Duchy, Copper
awaclus - places Copper in hand
awaclus - discards: Estate, Duchy

http://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160113/log.0.1452694543813.txt

I'll help you remember.
Wow. It hasn't even been a full week...
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 18, 2016, 04:27:12 am »
+1

Trade Port is to Market what Hireling is to Lab.

Personally I think that Hireling is overpowered but even if it were perfectly balanced at 6$ it is still more expensive than Lab.
Now you could argue that Lab is one of the strongest 5$ cards and Market a fairly weak one such that a perma-Market like Trade Port could cost 5$, but I am not convinced.

One way to nerf the card would be either +1 Buy or +1 Coin.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 04:29:16 am by tristan »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 18, 2016, 04:52:26 am »
+1

Having $1, +Buy for 10 - 13 turns seems pretty darn strong to me.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 18, 2016, 05:09:15 am »
+2

Wow, I saw 2 new pages in the thread and thought "yay! New seasons cards posted!"...  :-\

Trading post feels pretty near to strictly superior to a few cards, being terminal on play only marginally balancing the advantage it has over Treasury, in my opinion.
I think it needs another handicap that would make it more unique and give the other poor Peddler variants a chance to compare favorably.
As a random thought: "while this is in play, if you buy a treasure, trash this" (or discard, but I prefer trash as it's less Treasurish).

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 18, 2016, 08:47:07 am »
+1

I think the point stands that Trade Port feels very strong, comparing too well to Treasury and Market at $5.

Even though Market and Treasury are fairly weak and middling $5 cards respectively, the comparison of Laboratory's strength and the permanence of Hireling seems to suggest that the simplest way to solve Trade Port's balance issues is to cost it at $6. It also solves the problem of how largely automatic it is as an opener.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 18, 2016, 10:03:07 am »

My family and I playtested Trade Port yesterday, and it's more balanced than you might think. I had 4 of them, but the whole useless-in-winter part of it cost me the game.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 18, 2016, 10:08:24 am »
+1

I think the point stands that Trade Port feels very strong, comparing too well to Treasury and Market at $5.

Even though Market and Treasury are fairly weak and middling $5 cards respectively, the comparison of Laboratory's strength and the permanence of Hireling seems to suggest that the simplest way to solve Trade Port's balance issues is to cost it at $6. It also solves the problem of how largely automatic it is as an opener.

There are other cards that are fairly weak and have a variant at the same cost that seems stronger in many ways but isn't strictly speaking (Thief and Noble Brigand; Laboratory and Hunting Party). At the cost of $6 on top of the harsh Winter restriction it would be quite worse than Hireling, I think. So if we raise its cost it probably needs a small buff to not suck. I also kinda like Accatitippi's suggestion. We'll think about it.

My family and I playtested Trade Port yesterday, and it's more balanced than you might think. I had 4 of them, but the whole useless-in-winter part of it cost me the game.

Thanks for testing :) I'm probably letting myself being persuaded too quickly by criticism about balance although we have much more playtest experience with the card. We tested Trade Port extra much and tried to verify the notion it's too strong as-is. But it never was. It has such a hight opportunity cost and will never win you games on its own. Of course the same applies for Market and Treasury but those have lower opportunity cost (non-terminal and do something this turn).
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 10:17:58 am by Co0kieL0rd »
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 18, 2016, 11:30:19 am »
+2

We are going to play a game later and i have the clear intention to abuse Trade Port as badly as i can. If i win, it'll tell us something. Probably that playing with me isn't fun.

Either way, my top priority would still be to make Trade Port a bit more different from Treasury, so i'm relatively open to tweaking it.

As the discussion regarding Trade Port is still rather active, is there interest that we post a new card soon? Or should we wait?

GeneralRamos

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +104
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 18, 2016, 12:26:20 pm »
+3

New card! New card! I think we can maintain discussion of two cards successfully.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 18, 2016, 12:53:41 pm »
+1

Wow, I saw 2 new pages in the thread and thought "yay! New seasons cards posted!"...  :-\

Trading post feels pretty near to strictly superior to a few cards, being terminal on play only marginally balancing the advantage it has over Treasury, in my opinion.
I think it needs another handicap that would make it more unique and give the other poor Peddler variants a chance to compare favorably.
As a random thought: "while this is in play, if you buy a treasure, trash this" (or discard, but I prefer trash as it's less Treasurish).
I just noticed that this wording doesn't really work since it doesn't stop the card from giving you the bonus. So if you are ever going to try something of the kind, you'll have to use something creative like:
"At the start of each of your turns in Spring, Summer and Autumn for the rest of the game, if this is in play..."
Or: "At the start of each of your turns in Spring, Summer and Autumn until you trash this, ..."
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 12:58:49 pm by Accatitippi »

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 18, 2016, 12:58:20 pm »
+1

I still think some drawback in Winter would be quite fun, it would make it a lot more unique and it would also fit nicely to the other Season cards. Thematically, it's also great because an empty port costs money :)
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 18, 2016, 01:20:17 pm »

I just noticed that this wording doesn't really work since it doesn't stop the card from giving you the bonus. So if you are ever going to try something of the kind, you'll have to use something creative like:
"At the start of each of your turns in Spring, Summer and Autumn for the rest of the game, if this is in play..."
Or: "At the start of each of your turns in Spring, Summer and Autumn until you trash this, ..."

At the start of each of your turns until Winter: +1Buy, +1$
At the start of Winter, trash this.
(This stays in play until trashed)

It would make a difference for games that go into a second Spring.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 18, 2016, 01:23:17 pm »
+2

I'm guessing Trade Port is fine as-is. It's very significant that it does nothing in Winter; if you had a Treasury, you may be drawing your deck by that point anyway, in which case Treasury is still a Peddler. And the fact that Trade Port does nothing on the turn you play it is also a big disadvantage.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 01:31:21 pm by LastFootnote »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 25  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.