Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Seasons  (Read 160382 times)

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Seasons - the set the community has been waiting for!
« Reply #125 on: January 17, 2016, 01:48:08 pm »

True, but in a deck with both trade port and
Market: why would you buy a market (except for in winter)?

How many +1 buy, +$1 would you need? And that's just for a single turn.

Yes, you can spam it.
But how useful would it be, given opportunitycosts? I am not sure when you already have a trade port, market would pass the silver test.
Although not necessarily devastating, it does make one wonder, I think. No?

Have you tried a game with trade port,
Market and Treasury?

Cause I am curious how many, if any, would be bought. My estimate: you but a trade port asap, and then it becomes very contigent on specific circumstances wether or not you buy market/treasury. But could be wrong.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 01:50:33 pm by AdrianHealey »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 17, 2016, 02:02:47 pm »

True, but in a deck with both trade port and
Market: why would you buy a market (except for in winter)?

How many +1 buy, +$1 would you need? And that's just for a single turn.

Yes, you can spam it.
But how useful would it be, given opportunitycosts? I am not sure when you already have a trade port, market would pass the silver test.
Although not necessarily devastating, it does make one wonder, I think. No?

Have you tried a game with trade port,
Market and Treasury?

Cause I am curious how many, if any, would be bought. My estimate: you but a trade port asap, and then it becomes very contigent on specific circumstances wether or not you buy market/treasury. But could be wrong.

The fact that a card isn't strictly better than another one doesn't mean it isn't better. If a board had Farming Village, Walled Village and Wandering Minstrel, would you buy Walled Village? On a board with Chapel, would you buy Trade Route? Would you buy Trade Route at all? Treasury and Market are not exactly good cards, so the fact that you won't often buy them doesn't tell you much.

If we are late in the game and i didn't already pick up a +Buy piece, and am drawing a lot of my deck, a Market is as good or better than Trade Port, because it will provide me with the buy i need and be more useful in the time remaining. That's enough to work.

Of course, if i already have a Trade Port, i'll think twice about that - but not everybody gets a Trade Port as fast as he can. There are other cards you might want to get at that point, instead. For example, i can hardly see myself skipping Witch for Trade Port, and once Curses are dealt out, isn't it too late to get a Trade Port over a Market?

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 17, 2016, 02:08:01 pm »
+2

All true. I am sorry I come across attacking. That's not my intention.

Here is, maybe, a broader point: I think it's fine that when there is a chapel, you wouldn't buy trade route. However, I'd refrain from making fan cards that are both *similar* and (in a lot of cases) almost (not universal) strictly better than existing cards. Your point is correct: there are situations where market/treasury is better than trade port, but they seem minor and those cards do similar and work similar. (Although trade port seems better in a lot of cases.)

This is not necessarily a problem. And, more importantly, I could very well be wrong in my estimate on the amount of situations where trade port is better than market/treasury. Maybe I am totally overestimaing it. I am, after all, just theorycrafting here.

But *if* I am right, then I'd consider that an argument to tweek it too make it less similar.

But I could be wrong.

I hope my priors on this, sort of the background theory where I am coming from, is not unreasonable to you. If you disagree, that's obviously fine. I have a low degree of certainty in my views on this anyway, but I'd thought I'd share them, to give an alternative view.

I am trying my own fan cards. They aren't as well thought out, beautifully designed or playtested as these. But one thing I try to do is try to think of similar cards and not make them almost universally stricly better. (Wether or not I am succeeding is a different matter...)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 02:24:02 pm by AdrianHealey »

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 17, 2016, 02:13:02 pm »
+1

If a board had Farming Village, Walled Village and Wandering Minstrel, would you buy Walled Village?

I think you just summoned an Awaclus.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #129 on: January 17, 2016, 02:17:21 pm »

If a board had Farming Village, Walled Village and Wandering Minstrel, would you buy Walled Village?

Sure, if I still need more splitters after the Wandering Minstrel pile runs out.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 17, 2016, 02:38:19 pm »
+1

It's more spammable and the initial action is huge on a board without villages.

My suggestion was initially that you get the -1 token in Winter instead of the bonuses. As I said, that would probably be too weak, so keeping the buy would be a good idea in that version.

@Asper I don't really like to compare Topdecking with staying in play since that has other implications

@Awaclus I know you don't like Farming Village, but you can't be serious when you take Walled Village over it AFTER another splitter has run out. Then it's literally a vanilla village.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #131 on: January 17, 2016, 02:40:52 pm »

@Awaclus I know you don't like Farming Village, but you can't be serious when you take Walled Village over it AFTER another splitter has run out. Then it's literally a vanilla village.

Farming Village is always literally a vanilla Village, at least Walled Village can be good if you have a dud turn with it in your hand.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 17, 2016, 02:52:03 pm »

Sure, if I still need more splitters after the Wandering Minstrel pile runs out.

A wild Awaclus appears. Or is it sufficient to say "An Awaclus appears."? :P

All true. I am sorry I come across attacking. That's not my intention.

Here is, maybe, a broader point: I think it's fine that when there is a chapel, you wouldn't buy trade route. However, I'd refrain from making fan cards that are both *similar* and (in a lot of cases) almost (not universal) strictly better than existing cards. Your point is correct: there are situations where market/treasury is better than trade port, but they seem minor and those cards do similar and work similar. (Although trade port seems better in a lot of cases.)

This is not necessarily a problem. And, more importantly, I could very well be wrong in my estimate on the amount of situations where trade port is better than market/treasury. Maybe I am totally overestimaing it. I am, after all, just theorycrafting here.

But *if* I am right, then I'd consider that an argument to tweek it too make it less similar.

But I could be wrong.

I hope my priors on this, sort of the background theory where I am coming from, is not unreasonable to you. If you disagree, that's obviously fine. I have a low degree of certainty in my views on this anyway, but I'd thought I'd share them, to give an alternative view.

I am trying my own fan cards. They aren't as well thought out, beautifully designed or playtested as these. But one thing I try to do is try to think of similar cards and not make them almost universally stricly better. (Wether or not I am succeeding is a different matter...)

Nah, i think you made good points. In fact, the similarity to Treasury has been one of my main concerns with the card. I can promise i will talk with Co0kieL0rd about this, but for now, again, sorry, i am a bit busy.

I'm not sure whether i said this before, but the reason the set is partially not as flashed out is mostly because i feared i wouldn't have time to work on Seasons for a longer while. I asked CL whether we could post the set in its current state rather than waiting to make sure we post it at all. So that's why some cards are more shiny than others. Either way, the main idea of Trade Port is rather simple: Be good for the longest time, and then become bad.

@Asper I don't really like to compare Topdecking with staying in play since that has other implications

Well, sure. You may be forced to discard Treasury to a Militia or forget to topdeck it, or have yourhand Minion'd away, or activate Conspirator or decrease the price of Peddler, or get the 6th and 7th Treasury hit by a top-decking attack. But those are specific card interactions. Those aside, the outcome stays the same.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 17, 2016, 05:26:16 pm »
+2

I have noticed something about the comparison between Trade Port and Treasury - point that hasn't come up yet but I think is very significant. While a single Trade Port is almost strictly better than a single Treasury, the latter is easily spammable with little downside. However, each additional Trade Port you gain before Winter is worse than the one you gained before because it will be effectual for fewer turns overall.
As the most recent game Asper, LastFootnote and I played clearly showed, spamming Trade Ports is extremely slow and expensive and in Winter you lose a bunch of payload. So not only am I convinced now that Trade Port is balanced as-is, I'm also growing fond of the idea of giving you an incentive to buy them in multiples.

Each subsequent Trade Port is effectual for fewer turns... but that applies to every card you buy.  The closer you get to game end, the fewer chanecs you have to play the card, the fewer times it'll have to make a difference.  That's already a guiding principle for end game purchases.  If the game will end before you see your next buy, maybe you should buy a Duchy instead of another Treasury.

I don't think it's as big a deal as you are making it out to be though.  That is to say, I am not convinced that Treasury (or Market) are significantly more spammable than Trade Port.  Yes, each subsequent Trade Port is less effective than the previous one because there are fewer turns for it to be active until Winter... but that's not the comparison that matters here.  How many turns will it be effective compared to Market or Treasury?  Trade Port is gone for Winter, but Treasury is gone for a full shuffle after you buy a Victory card.  Market is gone for a full shuffle after each play.  So it will depend on how long your shuffles take.  And note, if the game ends before Winter, Market and Treasury will have been almost strictly inferior.

That's why I asked my earlier question about how much Winter affects the strategy.  Winter is turns 16-20, but I think the kind of board where Trade Port, Treasury and Market are best is also the kind of board that is likely to end early, where you get maybe one round of Winter and then it's over.  That's why I was suggesting having the card advance the seasons more quickly, or have a weaker/negative effect in Fall.

All that said, I do get that it still isn't as spammable in that there is some opportunity cost with that first play of each card.  It's more dangerous to buy a bunch before getting them into play because they don't do anything on the very first turn you play them, and if you're lacking +actions then it might end up being a dead card if multiples collide due to overzealous buying.  I'm just not sure that balances out all the positives.  The similarity to Treasury (and Market - also a good comparison) is a concern, especially since Trade Port is arguably so much better.  It's difficult to judge because its unique drawback is very different from the cards we are used to.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 17, 2016, 05:48:45 pm »

You make good points. Asper and I will be talking about Trade Port again but right now I'm not sufficiently sold on nerfing the card, yet.

I can think of an example where you might prefer to gain Markets over Trade Ports. Let's say it's Fall and you already have a deck-drawing engine (which is a reasonable assumption), you play all your action cards and can gain 4 cards this turn. If you gain 4 Markets you immediately increase your payload by $4 as well as your long-term reliability (compared to gaining 4 Silvers e.g.). In the same situation, if you gained 4 Trade Ports, you might not be able to play them all next turn and they won't help you in Winter. This scenario isn't that uncommon. It only applies to Kingdoms with both Market and Trade Port but only there the comparison makes sense.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 17, 2016, 06:08:51 pm »
+5

Farming Village is always literally a vanilla Village, at least Walled Village can be good if you have a dud turn with it in your hand.

You're using "literally" wrong again. If you play it and the top card of your deck is an estate, then you get to filter that estate.

Edit: To not go off topic, I think your edited trade port (gets discarded at winter) is quite thematic and might make it weak and might be okay, but needs playtesting.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 06:12:41 pm by XerxesPraelor »

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 17, 2016, 06:11:18 pm »

Any engine without a village will prefer markets over Trade Port. (i.e Highway/Market>>>Highway TP if there is any other terminal worth playing.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 17, 2016, 06:33:43 pm »
+1

Any engine without a village will prefer markets over Trade Port. (i.e Highway/Market>>>Highway TP if there is any other terminal worth playing.

How's that?  Trade Port is only going to be terminal on its first play.  I'd prioritize consistent +Buy for my Highways, and a combo like this is likely to end the game well before Winter arrives.

Depending on the rest of the board, I'd probably be going for 1-2 Trade Ports per shuffle, Highways otherwise.  Market would only be picked up if Highways are gone and I'm especially worried about already-purchasd Trade Ports colliding.  Or if I'm already consistently drawing my entire deck, in which case Market would provide an immediate boost next turn... but I'd expect even in that case to have a couple Trade Ports in play from earlier.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 06:38:22 pm by eHalcyon »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #138 on: January 17, 2016, 06:48:39 pm »

You're using "literally" wrong again. If you play it and the top card of your deck is an estate, then you get to filter that estate.

But it's not an Estate. It's a Copper or an Action.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 17, 2016, 07:07:27 pm »
+2

Fwiw, I don't think trade port is at all too similar to Treasury. Just because both have the ability to get an extra coin each turn unless certain things are met? So? That's one small thing that they have in common. That's like saying Goons is too similar to Woodcutter. This is different than Treasury in lots of ways. Doesn't work in winter. Does nothing the turn you play it. Gives a buy. Let's you buy green. Is terminal when played. Can't be hurt by discard attacks.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 17, 2016, 07:15:21 pm »

Here we go again.  ::)
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 17, 2016, 07:17:21 pm »

No, obviously not. We're discussing a scenario in which the top card is an Estate. Trivially, in that situation, the top card is not a copper or an action.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #142 on: January 17, 2016, 07:24:39 pm »
+3

No, obviously not. We're discussing a scenario in which the top card is an Estate. Trivially, in that situation, the top card is not a copper or an action.
If the top card is an Estate, then perhaps you want this?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #143 on: January 17, 2016, 07:32:07 pm »

Why not discuss the scenario in which the top card is a flying unicorn? In that situation, it's not a Copper or an Action, either, and the scenario in which the top card is a flying unicorn is just as realistic as the scenario in which the top card is an Estate.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 17, 2016, 07:39:53 pm »
+1

and the scenario in which the top card is a flying unicorn is just as realistic as the scenario in which the top card is an Estate.

Another trivially false statement. One of these things has never happened, and is impossible to happen. The other is not only possible but has happened.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #145 on: January 17, 2016, 07:42:13 pm »

and the scenario in which the top card is a flying unicorn is just as realistic as the scenario in which the top card is an Estate.

Another trivially false statement. One of these things has never happened, and is impossible to happen. The other is not only possible but has happened.

Out of the 6000+ games of Dominion I've played, I can't remember a single instance of that ever happening to me.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 17, 2016, 07:44:56 pm »
+7

Relevant:

So, you are verifying once and for all what an incredible waste of time it is for anyone to try to argue about this with you.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 17, 2016, 07:45:38 pm »

Out of the 6000+ games of Dominion I've played, I can't remember a single instance of that ever happening to me.

Well obviously, you don buy Farming Village. But that's irrelevant. Are you denying that it has ever happened to anyone ever? Or are you admitting that your statements here are false?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #148 on: January 17, 2016, 07:47:30 pm »

Well obviously, you don buy Farming Village. But that's irrelevant. Are you denying that it has ever happened to anyone ever? Or are you admitting that your statements here are false?

I'm denying that even if it has happened to someone sometimes, it has any significant relevance on how good Farming Village is compared to Village.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 17, 2016, 07:49:28 pm »
+5

I'm denying that even if it has happened to someone sometimes, it has any significant relevance on how good Farming Village is compared to Village.
I don't care about how good or not good FV is compare to Village. I care that you post obviously false and stupid statements about it rather than truthful defenses of your position.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25  All

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 21 queries.