Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Seasons  (Read 160407 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Seasons - the set the community has been waiting for!
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2016, 07:02:22 pm »
+1

I guess the good thing about the VP is that, no matter when you play it, and no matter how good you did at that, at least you got that point. Nobody can take that from you. So even if you are unsure you did the right thing getting Sojourner, that point stays and says you got some use out of it.

Also, in the opening it helps you spike $5, like with a Silver, but without a Silver staying in your deck afterwards. That might be a good move when you want to create a really tight, treasureless engine that depends on such a key $5. For now that's the theory, at least...

I have to say that as good as certain fan cards and fan sets have been, this is the first time that I've ever felt an actual desire to print fan cards to play with them.

:))
Wow, thanks. I hope what's to come doesn't disappoint. We got some of my favourites to come still, but also some closer to WIP.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 07:04:24 pm by Asper »

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2016, 07:14:30 pm »
+2

I have to say that as good as certain fan cards and fan sets have been, this is the first time that I've ever felt an actual desire to print fan cards to play with them.

Thank you, this is very flattering. Thanks to everyone for supporting us so enthusiastically although we only released 3 cards so far. We'll keep them coming and it probably won't take 3 days between cards ;)
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2016, 07:27:37 pm »
+2

If you wanted to avoid using VP chips, you could have Sojourner set itself aside instead of trashing itself.  Make it worth 1 VP if it's set aside.  Disadvantage: more text, less thematic.

Personally I don't care if it uses VP chips.  I have VP chips, after all.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2016, 08:02:53 pm »
+1

Besides, I have no problem with using material from other expansions, especially VP or coin tokens which you can easily replace with pennies or a tally or what have you. One of our cards uses Ruins though so if want to play with the full set but don't own Dark Ages I recommend you get the expansion (it's one of the best IMO) oryou just can't play with that one Season card. Sad thing but not a reason to waste any potential fpr card mechanics. Also I think there should be more Looters in Dominion.

I am not one of those people who carries all his Dominion with him; there's too much of it. Usually I will take the base cards and then 3 sets. The tokens (including VP tokens) I always carry. The Ruins are in the Dark Ages box, though. So a single Looter in another set means that I have three options:

1. Always bring Dark Ages when I bring Seasons.
2. Just move the Looter to my Dark Ages box.
3. Don't use the Looter from Seasons at all.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2016, 08:13:47 pm »
+2

Besides, I have no problem with using material from other expansions, especially VP or coin tokens which you can easily replace with pennies or a tally or what have you. One of our cards uses Ruins though so if want to play with the full set but don't own Dark Ages I recommend you get the expansion (it's one of the best IMO) oryou just can't play with that one Season card. Sad thing but not a reason to waste any potential fpr card mechanics. Also I think there should be more Looters in Dominion.

I am not one of those people who carries all his Dominion with him; there's too much of it. Usually I will take the base cards and then 3 sets. The tokens (including VP tokens) I always carry. The Ruins are in the Dark Ages box, though. So a single Looter in another set means that I have three options:

I guess another option would be to put some of the Ruins in the Seasons box.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2016, 08:24:13 pm »
+7

4. Or carry a set of Ruins with you.

Seriously, I'm not going to tell anyone what to do. I'd just like to design my fan cards freely and pleasing for my taste. Of course, in this set Asper has an equal say so if most people are opposed to a Seasons Looter or Asper isn't convinced it's a good idea anymore, we might do something else. But only because you guys have been so positive towards the set :)
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2016, 09:24:10 pm »
+1

Is it crucial for this card to be a Looter instead of just a Curser?  Could it potentially use other junk, like Estates or Copper?

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2016, 10:03:59 pm »
+1

No, no guys, you miss the obvious solution: Season Ruins!
(I'm kidding here, this is a horrible idea. No, i mean it, everytime somebody makes a joke like this, somebody else will say "Maybe that's not so bad.". But it is bad. Very bad.)

Seriously, I'm not going to tell anyone what to do. I'd just like to design my fan cards freely and pleasing for my taste. Of course, in this set Asper has an equal say so if most people are opposed to a Seasons Looter or Asper isn't convinced it's a good idea anymore, we might do something else. But only because you guys have been so positive towards the set :)

Well, i always try to change my mind when people point out things i didn't notice yet. Take Snow Witch. Until it was asked, i didn't really notice how it can increase the P1 advantage. Of course, that's something every Season card needs to care about, but it's worse with a junker. That seems like such a dumb mistake, given how important it was to me to make sure every player can play his opening buys in Spring. I still don't think Snow Witch needs changing for now, but it's going to make me look at the card a little different in the future.

That said, i'd like to wait until the Looter is revealed before we discuss it. By then everybody will be able to talk knowing the actual card. Just, to answer eHalcyon's question:

Is it crucial for this card to be a Looter instead of just a Curser?  Could it potentially use other junk, like Estates or Copper?

I think it's crucial in the same sense it's crucial to Marauder or Cultist - Curses would be too strong, Estates are too few, Coppers too many. Of course, there's always the option to replace it with a different attack, but that's another card. Again, i don't feel i should reveal too much on my own, so it would be nice if we could postpone this a bit.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 09:02:06 am by Asper »

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2016, 06:36:58 am »
+2

I doubt that the majority of Dominion players who actually use fan cards do not have all sets so the notion that stuff from official expansions should not be used is unnecessarily restrictive. And as Cookielord has pointed out, you can use any kind of tokens for VP tokens or XYZ tokens in general.
About Sojourner, it would probably also be good if it were terminal or not provide a VP. But it does not seem overpowered (if a bit forced if there are no (decent) trashers in the kingdom) and it is above all just a one-shot so balance is not that important in the first place.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 06:47:24 am by tristan »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2016, 09:15:26 am »
+1

I would think the solution would be to move ruins to wherever you keep the other "always needed" cards. Unless you just bring the small base-cards box with you.

But now that I think about it, Ruins is a lot of cards for stuff that is only used by a total of 3 kingdom cards. VP chips are also only used by 3 cards, but at least that's a smaller component.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2016, 11:26:05 am »
+2

Maybe that's not so bad.

GeneralRamos

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +104
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2016, 11:57:20 am »
+4

Maybe that's not so bad.
[NotSerious]
Perpetual Wasteland
$0-Ruins
In Spring, +1 Card
In Summer, +1 Action
In Fall, +1 Buy
In Winter, +$1
[/NotSerious]

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2016, 12:10:17 pm »

Maybe that's not so bad.
[Serious]
Perpetual Wasteland
$0-Ruins
In Spring, +1 Card
In Summer, +1 Action
In Fall, +1 Buy
In Winter, +$1
[/Serious]
This idea doesn't appeal to me.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2016, 12:27:12 pm »
+1

I'm planning a future investment in about 80 fancards I found on the internet (majority of them on these forums) to print and add to my dominion sets, as soon as I have found a cheap way to do so.

I actually prefer investing in fancards than 'regular' expansions (although I want prosperity for sure in addition to the ones I have) because I can play with the regular cards online (and the place where I usually play dominion has several boxes in the closet 'free to play'). These seasons cards definitely look like ones I would also add to this collection.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2016, 12:29:06 pm »

I doubt that the majority of Dominion players who actually use fan cards do not have all sets so the notion that stuff from official expansions should not be used is unnecessarily restrictive.

I actually prefer investing in fancards than 'regular' expansions (although I want prosperity for sure in addition to the ones I have) because I can play with the regular cards online (and the place where I usually play dominion has several boxes in the closet 'free to play').

Hmm…

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2016, 12:32:15 pm »
+1

I doubt that the majority of Dominion players who actually use fan cards do not have all sets so the notion that stuff from official expansions should not be used is unnecessarily restrictive.

I actually prefer investing in fancards than 'regular' expansions (although I want prosperity for sure in addition to the ones I have) because I can play with the regular cards online (and the place where I usually play dominion has several boxes in the closet 'free to play').

Hmm…
Maybe I am a statistical outlier. Also: I'd say: if you think a card needs to be a looter, keep it a looter. The fact that (good) fan cards provide an additional incentive to buy the regular expansions is a net positive, imo, not a net negative.

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2016, 01:42:10 pm »
+3

Also: I'd say: if you think a card needs to be a looter, keep it a looter.

Thank you, brain, for reading that as "lobster".

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2016, 01:58:55 pm »
+2

Oh, by the way, i'd like to thank Co0kieL0rd for suggesting to do this set together. We both brought in a lot of ideas and had equal say, but it was him who kicked this off. As somebody who never can get himself up to actually do something, i'm very glad he asked me. It's been a very fun experience and it's cool to see the mechanic we developed together is received this well :)

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2016, 05:32:47 am »

I'm planning a future investment in about 80 fancards I found on the internet (majority of them on these forums) to print and add to my dominion sets, as soon as I have found a cheap way to do so.
Printing them will most likely cost more than double of what you would pay for official cards (where I print them they cost around 0.2€ / card).

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2016, 05:56:55 am »

Printing them will most likely cost more than double of what you would pay for official cards (where I print them they cost around 0.2€ / card).

I know. :(

juffowup

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2016, 01:28:54 pm »
+2

As I'm sure Asper and Co0kieL0rd have guessed, I'm not so hot on fan sets having just one or two cards that require components from another set. If I don't have Prosperity then I can't use this, etc., etc. But I'll put that aside for a moment.

Even without using 'set this card aside' text like on this card like on island, can't you just use this card itself as a VP token?  Whether this card is in the trash or in my play area makes no difference to any existing card, right?

GeneralRamos

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +104
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2016, 01:50:44 pm »
+1

I am loving the new concept and concur with the earlier sentiment that this is one of few occasions where I am looking forward to printing out and playing someone else's full custom card set. Please unveil the next one!

And to weigh in on the discussion of components from other expansions: I have no problem with a fan set drawing on components found in one expansion only (I have done the same). This is especially true for tokens, where anything can be used to mark it, not only the official pieces. I don't own Guilds, but it wouldn't stop me from using pennies as coin tokens (what other use is there for pennies?) if I wanted to play with the card. Ruins are a bit trickier, but it's a print-to-play expansion, so if someone doesn't have Ruins, they don't have to print the card, eh?

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2016, 03:40:00 pm »
+4

As I'm sure Asper and Co0kieL0rd have guessed, I'm not so hot on fan sets having just one or two cards that require components from another set. If I don't have Prosperity then I can't use this, etc., etc. But I'll put that aside for a moment.

Even without using 'set this card aside' text like on this card like on island, can't you just use this card itself as a VP token?  Whether this card is in the trash or in my play area makes no difference to any existing card, right?

To the throne room family it does make a difference
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 16, 2016, 07:04:22 pm »
+5

Here is card number four – enjoy and discuss!

As your cities prosper they draw more and more attention from merchants who arrive at your ports with greedy desire to enhance their wealth and sell trinkets and junk to your people. Of course you don’t care if your subjects get hornswoggled as long as the merchants pay their tolls. However, they do not appreciate the cold of Winter and will not come during that Season. And you really could have used those buys!

Trade Port, once played, like Hireling, stays in play forever and gives you a small but significant bonus each turn except in Winter. It’s a good card for building an engine, providing you non-terminal +buy each turn, but while greening you have to rely on other sources of payload barring very fast games that end in Fall. Most decks seem to want a Trade Port but I think we haven’t played a single game where anyone bought more than one.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 08:11:08 pm by Co0kieL0rd »
Check out my fan cards!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2016, 07:57:40 pm »

If only those wussy Orientals weren’t so sensitive to cold.

As a Chinese Canadian, I am genuinely offended by this.  I am sure you mean well, but still. :(
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25  All

Page created in 0.907 seconds with 21 queries.