Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25]  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Seasons  (Read 160427 times)

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Seasons
« Reply #600 on: February 16, 2017, 04:06:36 pm »

I still want Sanatarium at 6 Debt.

I'm simply not convinced by your reasoning that Sanitarium would be too strong for 4$. It sometimes will be better than Village. It sometimes will be worse. It will be better more often than worse. Big deal, it costs more. It also gives the gaining bonus. Only a few times, though.

Again, if Sanitarium has to compete with Worker's Village, Wandring Minstrel or Port, it doesn't need to be just good enough for 4$. It's fine if it's a strong 4$. Neither a Village, nor trashing, nor draw-to-X are inherently game-winning effects. You need to be able to play them right. And if a strong card leads to more interesting strategies, which I think Sanitarium can, I see no problem.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with a cost of <6>. But there's nothing wrong with a price of 4$, either. So I'm going to stick with the more simple thing unless something made me believe that costing Sanitarium at <6> somehow made the card more fun, which I doubt.

<6> makes it easier to buy on a 5/2 when needed, I guess.

As I think about that, it in fact allows a Sanitarium/Sanitarium opening regardless of your hand. Which might be one of the reasons why all those debt cards cost <8>.

Which is cool, because you can trash 2 estates then, making the draw to x more powerful. (If you open 3/4; if you open 5/2 in such a case, well, that's a problem.)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: February 16, 2017, 06:08:46 pm »

I still want Sanatarium at 6 Debt.

I'm simply not convinced by your reasoning that Sanitarium would be too strong for 4$. It sometimes will be better than Village. It sometimes will be worse. It will be better more often than worse. Big deal, it costs more. It also gives the gaining bonus. Only a few times, though.

Again, if Sanitarium has to compete with Worker's Village, Wandring Minstrel or Port, it doesn't need to be just good enough for 4$. It's fine if it's a strong 4$. Neither a Village, nor trashing, nor draw-to-X are inherently game-winning effects. You need to be able to play them right. And if a strong card leads to more interesting strategies, which I think Sanitarium can, I see no problem.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with a cost of <6>. But there's nothing wrong with a price of 4$, either. So I'm going to stick with the more simple thing unless something made me believe that costing Sanitarium at <6> somehow made the card more fun, which I doubt.

<6> makes it easier to buy on a 5/2 when needed, I guess.

As I think about that, it in fact allows a Sanitarium/Sanitarium opening regardless of your hand. Which might be one of the reasons why all those debt cards cost <8>.

Which is cool, because you can trash 2 estates then, making the draw to x more powerful. (If you open 3/4; if you open 5/2 in such a case, well, that's a problem.)

Unless you suggested that cost because you were afraid 4$ was too strong.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: February 16, 2017, 07:25:23 pm »
+1

I didn't suggest it, I think. I am just thinking it through.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: February 16, 2017, 07:28:35 pm »
+1

Not you, but ThetaSigma. He thinks that Sanitarium is too strong. It might be stronger when it's strong than some other Villages for 4$ are, but my argument was that 5$ is not only too much in general but also ruins the Spring ability. So he came up with <6> and we just talked about which downsides this has if you actually assume Sanitarium was too strong.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: February 16, 2017, 07:31:52 pm »
+1

Not you, but ThetaSigma. He thinks that Sanitarium is too strong. It might be stronger when it's strong than some other Villages for 4$ are, but my argument was that 5$ is not only too much in general but also ruins the Spring ability. So he came up with <6> and we just talked about which downsides this has if you actually assume Sanitarium was too strong.
Well, it's not just me. We'll just have to agree to disagree about Sanatarium I guess, maybe I'll try to make sure it's in thenext kingdom I play.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: February 17, 2017, 08:59:57 am »
+3

Well, it's not just me. We'll just have to agree to disagree about Sanatarium I guess, maybe I'll try to make sure it's in thenext kingdom I play.

I mean, we're not even disagreeing about the fact it can be rather strong on the right board. We're just disagreeing on whether that means it's too strong in general and whether (or what kind of) action is required. However, I admit I haven't had much of a chance to test the Season cards in recent time. I am trying to not be a stubborn mule, so I hope to be able and change my mind when provided with convincing evidence that I was wrong. I'm not running for president, after all.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25]  All

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.