Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: No card stacking for Scheme  (Read 4257 times)

sc0UT

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: sc0UT
  • Respect: +106
    • View Profile
No card stacking for Scheme
« on: January 09, 2016, 09:23:15 am »
+1

There has been some discussion about how to get rid of the mess with big hands in dominion 2.0. Stacking cards and the MMF Mod made huge improvements regarding this issue. Well, I often ask myself why MF have removed the "Show all Cards" button from v1.0 and why the cards aren't stacked when one can scheme cards in the discard phase. Jeff from MF posted something in their forums yesterday that I don't understand, too.

in this case seeing the order they were played may be important.

So, cards shouldn't be stacked for scheme choices? Can someone explain me in which case the order of play in the past action phase is important when I scheme cards for my next-turn-hand?
Thanks in advance! :)

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5159
    • View Profile
Re: No card stacking for Scheme
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 09:26:34 am »
+4

So, cards shouldn't be stacked for scheme choices? Can someone explain me in which case the order of play in the past action phase is important when I scheme cards for my next-turn-hand?

You will see whether the duration card you want to Scheme was played this turn or last.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

sc0UT

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 09:51:59 am »

OK, that makes sense! THX

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 12:04:30 pm »
+2

You will see whether the duration card you want to Scheme was played this turn or last.

It would be more sensible to give a less ambiguous indicator of this, like dimming or applying a border to durations from last turn. Just having them in order doesn't help if my first 4 cards in play are two Caravans from this turn and two from last turn.

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1399
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 12:31:12 am »

Why does MF even allow selecting duration cards played this turn? Scheme has no effect on them since they aren't discarded from play.
My opponent has more loot than me

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 12:39:09 am »
+3

Why does MF even allow selecting duration cards played this turn? Scheme has no effect on them since they aren't discarded from play.

Presumably because you can do so in real-life Dominion.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 12:44:51 am »

And because there are a few cases where a Duration played this turn *does* get discarded this turn - e.g. Tactician if you discard no cards, Gear if you set no cards aside, etc.

thespaceinvader

• Minion
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 03:57:55 am »

And because there are a few cases where a Duration played this turn *does* get discarded this turn - e.g. Tactician if you discard no cards, Gear if you set no cards aside, etc.
Surely the point is that Scheme should only be considering the subset of 'cards being discarded' - it shouldn't even touch 'cards that are in play' (or for that matter, cards that you have chosen to set aside) *regardless* of why they're remaining there.

It's not that it shouldn't consider duration cards, it's that it should only consider cards being discarded.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 10:33:34 am »

Presumably because you can do so in real-life Dominion.

And because I maybe tried it online once with Tactician...

Anyway, Scheme says to choose a card you have in play (or something, I'm not looking this up at the moment).  It doesn't matter if it's getting discarded or not.  However, things only work when you actually are discarding the card you chose.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

sc0UT

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 10:38:16 am »

Anyway, Scheme says to choose a card you have in play (or something, I'm not looking this up at the moment).  It doesn't matter if it's getting discarded or not.

It matters! ;)

At the start of Clean-up this turn, you may choose an Action card you have in play. If you discard it from play this turn, put it on your deck.

Hyphen-ated

• Baron
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 12:34:21 pm »

It matters! ;)
right, it matters for whether scheme's ability does anything useful. it doesn't matter for whether you're allowed to choose that action card in the first place.

the point is the rules allow you to do this weird thing, and the online client is supposed to be faithful to the rules.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 12:36:35 pm »
+1

the point is the rules allow you to do this weird thing, and the online client is supposed to be faithful to the rules.

I agree in most cases. But the rules allow you to reveal Moat repeatedly forever non-stop, but hopefully the online client does not. The rules allow you to choose which Copper to trash from your hand when playing Moneylender, and the online client shouldn't. (I believe that it currently does, and it's one of the reasons I don't play with it).

As for the order you played them in, Scheme has nothing to do with anything. Knowing if you played a Duration last turn or this turn is important for knowing if you should discard it now. That's just part of how Durations work. Scheme doesn't change this at all. And knowing if it was played this turn or last turn is very different from knowing the order your cards were played in.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 03:56:47 pm »
+1

Anyway, Scheme says to choose a card you have in play (or something, I'm not looking this up at the moment).  It doesn't matter if it's getting discarded or not.

It matters! ;)

At the start of Clean-up this turn, you may choose an Action card you have in play. If you discard it from play this turn, put it on your deck.

That's what I was saying.  I was saying that, at the point of choosing a card, it doesn't matter if it's discarded.  It matters later on. I said that in the sentence before and after the one you quoted.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 20 queries.