Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Disciple vs. Teacher  (Read 14702 times)

theright555J

• Moneylender
  • Dragged into engines kicking and screaming!
  • Respect: +171
    • View Profile
Re: Disciple vs. Teacher
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2016, 08:21:35 am »

I can also see cashing in more than one Disciple for Teachers (if you can profit from both, say, +$ and +card), since it's ususally not worth it to play one Teacher twice.

If drawing the whole deck, having two Teachers would also mean you could potentially play one every turn once the first one got on the mat.  Will be neat to see if this is worth the investment!  The reserve mechanic is very slow...
Wondering what my name refers to?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cribbage_statistics

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2016, 08:56:36 am »
+3

I can also see cashing in more than one Disciple for Teachers (if you can profit from both, say, +$ and +card), since it's ususally not worth it to play one Teacher twice.

If drawing the whole deck, having two Teachers would also mean you could potentially play one every turn once the first one got on the mat.  Will be neat to see if this is worth the investment!  The reserve mechanic is very slow...

Good luck drawing your deck with any sort of swiftness while spending two of your earliest buys on Herbalists. If you're drawing your deck already, you may also not have a use for the card token, and perhaps the money token either.

Usually the opportunity cost of Teacher is only worth it if you can't get what you need any other way than with that token (this is obviously not true, but it's true at least 55% of the time. Let me be clear, this is not a percentage joke, it is a 55 joke. Don't you dare go putting words in my mouth :P )

If you have no buys other than Teacher -- wait, Peasant is on the board. Whoops.
If you have no money other than Teacher -- wait, Gold is on the board. Whoops.
If you have no draw other than Teacher, well you may be OK but getting to Teacher is going to take forever. This could potentially be OK
If you have no actions other than Teacher, this is the most common occurrance.

So the things you're really looking for in Teacher are usually the Card Token and the Action token. So if you get a second Teacher you're speeding up that second token by one turn, two turns at best?

I should mention that in all of the games I've played with the Teacher in the form you see it today, I have seen more than one token played before the game was over just once (I was unmirrored and my opponent, who was new at the game, was discovering how difficult it is to make a Storyteller deck against a Cursing attack). Of course that token makes a huge difference, but that's how long it usually takes to get it.

“If you want a picture of the future,” he says, “Imagine a forum poster reading a Scout joke- forever.”

"These 10 dominion fanfics have changed AdamH's life."

We may have just found number two (hee hee, number two).
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2016, 08:58:21 am »

We are all Roadrunner7671.
I thought we were all WW?

I will actually bulk up on Fugitives as quickly as possible to block Disciple and Teacher. This is much harder to do with the Page-Champion line.
WW=Roadrunner7671 confirmed
Edit:
I agree w/ adam. If you really want lots of good cards than disciple is a lot better than teacher. 90-93% of the art on teacher is better than the art on disciple.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 09:02:56 am by Limetime »

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2016, 09:39:30 am »
+1

<pic>
Did you make this? Because this is worth more than gold.

So... is it worth about the same as King's Court, or is it more than that?

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2016, 01:38:56 pm »

<pic>

In a draw your entire deck engine, Disciple is probably better because you could play the gained action card.  In that sense it is equivalent to KC in that a single action card gets played 3 times.  But in the case of Disciple you also gain a copy of it. 
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2016, 02:02:00 pm »

<pic>

In a draw your entire deck engine, Disciple is probably better because you could play the gained action card.  In that sense it is equivalent to KC in that a single action card gets played 3 times.  But in the case of Disciple you also gain a copy of it.

That's a good comparison. But Disciple loses a bit if the card isn't gainable (pile is empty, it's a Disciple, it's a Prize, etc.).

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2016, 05:22:55 pm »

I have seen this phenomenon as well.  I haven't played many games with the Peasant line, but in the few I have played I have opened with Peasant and tried to race to Teacher as fast as possible, while buying Action cards that will become an engine as soon as I get one of the tokens (usually +1 Card, but sometimes +1 Action).  In those games I usually get one Teacher and as many Disciples as possible.  I don't know if that is the optimum strategy, but it has worked well so far.  I've never seen a time when it would be worth it to get a second Teacher, since Disciple is so good.  The easiest thing I can think of that would make me want a second Teacher is having a key pile run out early, making Disciple's effect worth less.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.44 seconds with 21 queries.