Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 123  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part III  (Read 650663 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3191
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #2650 on: August 01, 2017, 08:39:54 am »
+2

Yeah ... but at least I'll learn valuable things about eometry and roup theory.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2651 on: August 01, 2017, 09:09:47 am »

The script I really don't like but currently have to read turns out to have interesting information about variables. It says Group Theory is the same as oeometry and Geometry is the same as Group Theory from which I conclude that Gemoetry equals eometry and therefore G = 1. Similarly, because Zunächts is used instead of Zunächst, s and t must commute. And all within one page.

Man, that's going to be one boring movie.

Oh no. It's that bug again.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: August 01, 2017, 11:27:41 am »
+1

#bringTheKuildeousRobotAvatarBack
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: August 01, 2017, 11:52:37 am »

What bug? Is my gif causing issues?
A man has no signature

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2654 on: August 01, 2017, 12:38:14 pm »

No, it's the good old bug we've had in every Random Stuff so far. All the references to posts link to one post later than they should, so when someone quotes the last post on a page, the link on that quote takes you to the wrong page, and the same is true for all the links to a particular post in this thread after the point at which we got the bug.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2655 on: August 01, 2017, 12:41:01 pm »

No, it's the good old bug we've had in every Random Stuff so far. All the references to posts link to one post later than they should, so when someone quotes the last post on a page, the link on that quote takes you to the wrong page, and the same is true for all the links to a particular post in this thread after the point at which we got the bug.

I've noticed it for a while now.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: August 01, 2017, 01:24:13 pm »

Ah. And I've had the bug where jumping to the first unread post takes me to the second post so that I have to scroll up to see the first unread post.

I suppose it's time to start Random Stuff IV.
A man has no signature

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2657 on: August 01, 2017, 01:28:44 pm »

Ah. And I've had the bug where jumping to the first unread post takes me to the second post so that I have to scroll up to see the first unread post.

That's the same bug.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: August 01, 2017, 01:28:58 pm »

We (as in, a mod) should sticky all the random stuff threads. It's a part of f.ds that everyone needs to know about.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: August 01, 2017, 01:56:16 pm »
+1

We (as in, a mod) should sticky all the random stuff threads. It's a part of f.ds that everyone needs to know about.

Yes, required reading before making your first post as a newcomer.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: August 01, 2017, 02:41:29 pm »
+6

My PIN appears somewhere in pi, right after my birthday in unix time.

I should probably be worried about identity theft, because my SSN, PIN, birthdate, and credit card number all appear in pi directly one after the other.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: August 01, 2017, 02:48:55 pm »
+2

i just got a wider monitor and its resolution lets me fit like 10 more bookmarks hnnnnnn
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: August 01, 2017, 03:17:31 pm »

i just got a wider monitor and its resolution lets me fit like 10 more bookmarks hnnnnnn

MOAR TABS!
A man has no signature

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3191
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: August 01, 2017, 03:36:32 pm »

Grammar question. I read this sentence

"A thread within his web had been cut and, like a"

I never do this, but I'm also never sure if it's false or just not my style. Can you put this comma behind the 'and' there? I'd put it after the 'cut'.

schadd

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: August 01, 2017, 03:41:39 pm »

MOAR TABS!
i actually don't like having this capability because whenever i got to 6 tabs (i.e. where it needed to start squeezing them) i usually close a tab and that's a good point of homeostasis i think
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: August 01, 2017, 06:15:20 pm »

Grammar question. I read this sentence

"A thread within his web had been cut and, like a"

I never do this, but I'm also never sure if it's false or just not my style. Can you put this comma behind the 'and' there? I'd put it after the 'cut'.

I can give my take on this and say both are valid, but have a slightly different nuance and perhaps intonation if spoken.

Take this silly sentence:

"A thread within his web had been cut and, like a terrified moviegoer, wrapped itself around the knife."

Here, there is more emphasis on the "wrapped itself around..." part. I imagine it almost like "his web had been cut AND, like a..." when spoken. The simile is almost a throwaway.

Now this sentence:

"A thread within his web had been cut, and like a terrified moviegoer it wrapped itself around the knife."

Here, the emphasis is on the simile. The simile is the part that is meant to engage the reader, while the "wrapped itself around" part has a primaily informative intention. At least, I'd expect one to intonate the sentence like that.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 06:16:23 pm by markusin »

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: August 01, 2017, 07:02:01 pm »
+1

I believe you would need a comma before "like" and after "moviegoer" in both of those examples if you want to be completely correct. But the comma before "and" is optional.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: August 01, 2017, 07:49:13 pm »

I should probably be worried about identity theft, because my SSN, PIN, birthdate, and credit card number all appear in pi directly one after the other.

I noticed a few days ago that there is a 10-digit number of people in the world, SSN's (or other countries' equivalent) are usually 9 digits, and phone numbers are 10 digits, which means that there are probably a few people in the world* whose phone number is just their SSN with a digit appended to it. I would think it would feel really weird to be one of those people and give people your phone number. It would also be weird that that would be such a cool coincidence, but you would never want to tell anyone about it.

*(I don't actually really have any idea what percentage of the world's population has a 9-digit super-important number.)

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: August 01, 2017, 08:15:15 pm »
+1

I did find a discussion on ELU stack exchange about it. I agree with Rhyous that even in the case of a parenthetical element, a comma should not be placed after and. See this page citing Strunk's Elements of Style. But it seems I would be in the minority opinion in that thread.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: August 01, 2017, 09:06:34 pm »

I believe you would need a comma before "like" and after "moviegoer" in both of those examples if you want to be completely correct. But the comma before "and" is optional.

In any formal context I would agree with this actually. Omitting the comma after "moviegoer" felt weird, but only because I also omitted the comma after "and". Without the comma after "and", the "wrapped around" part doesn't connect with "cut" if the part in between the comma is removed to create "A thread within his web had been cut it wrapped itself around the knife."

It depends on whether the writing wants to adhere to a narrative style following strict grammar rules or if it wants to take liberties to sound closer to how people might talk in real life.

Edit:
I did find a discussion on ELU stack exchange about it. I agree with Rhyous that even in the case of a parenthetical element, a comma should not be placed after and. See this page citing Strunk's Elements of Style. But it seems I would be in the minority opinion in that thread.

Apparently the comma after "and" is unnecessary after all as "and" is not part of the parenthetical element even when inside the commas. Well, it's cool to learn something.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 09:19:45 pm by markusin »

schadd

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2670 on: August 01, 2017, 09:53:13 pm »
+2

an unforeseen upside to singular they:

at the other forum i frequent there is an option to display your preferred pronoun by your posts and intuitively "they" is an option, but there is also a common phenomenon where two people share an account which is super convenient because "they" is already there

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2671 on: August 02, 2017, 03:22:40 am »

I noticed a few days ago that there is a 10-digit number of people in the world, SSN's (or other countries' equivalent) are usually 9 digits, and phone numbers are 10 digits, which means that there are probably a few people in the world* whose phone number is just their SSN with a digit appended to it. I would think it would feel really weird to be one of those people and give people your phone number. It would also be weird that that would be such a cool coincidence, but you would never want to tell anyone about it.

*(I don't actually really have any idea what percentage of the world's population has a 9-digit super-important number.)

Finnish SSNs are 11 characters, two of which aren't digits.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: August 02, 2017, 12:10:22 pm »

So in order to find your SSN in pi, you first have to convert pi to base 36?

Code: [Select]
3.53i5ab8p5fc5vayqter60f6r0
Did I find it yet?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 12:18:42 pm by Drab Emordnilap »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2673 on: August 02, 2017, 01:18:22 pm »

So in order to find your SSN in pi, you first have to convert pi to base 36?

Code: [Select]
3.53i5ab8p5fc5vayqter60f6r0
Did I find it yet?

No. It contains a minus sign (to signify that I was born in the 20th century).

schadd

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: August 02, 2017, 01:22:06 pm »

awaclus = hacked
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 123  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.