Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 123  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part III  (Read 650288 times)

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #2600 on: July 07, 2017, 06:40:41 pm »

Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: July 08, 2017, 01:32:34 pm »

Sometimes I really love the internet:

http://fwc.wikia.com/wiki/Moss_Covered_Three_Handled_Family_Gredunza

I'm shocked, shocked I say, that this comes from Fark.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2602 on: July 08, 2017, 01:53:53 pm »
+1

Oh hey, anyone live in Louisville Kentucky?

Yeah, someone lives there. Quite a lot of people actually, around 760 000. Hope this helps!

The context is that someone from here would live in Louisville Kentucky.

Given that there are approximately 7,347,000,000 people in this world, 5,244 total members, and 760,000 people in Louisville, what is the statistical probability of a user from F.DS being located within this section of the world?

1 – {Product: i = 0 to 759999 of [(7347000000 – i – 5244) / (7347000000 – i)]}

I think. This is confusing me slightly.

But who is able to use the internet?  And who would have access to Dominion?

It's also worth noting that while there are 5244 users here, there aren't that many people. In fact, there are only Wandering Winder and sudgy.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

RAwaclus

• Pawn
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: July 08, 2017, 02:16:39 pm »
+1

Oh hey, anyone live in Louisville Kentucky?

Yeah, someone lives there. Quite a lot of people actually, around 760 000. Hope this helps!

The context is that someone from here would live in Louisville Kentucky.

Given that there are approximately 7,347,000,000 people in this world, 5,244 total members, and 760,000 people in Louisville, what is the statistical probability of a user from F.DS being located within this section of the world?

1 – {Product: i = 0 to 759999 of [(7347000000 – i – 5244) / (7347000000 – i)]}

I think. This is confusing me slightly.

But who is able to use the internet?  And who would have access to Dominion?

It's also worth noting that while there are 5244 users here, there aren't that many people. In fact, there are only Wandering Winder and sudgy.

Actually those are both my smurfs.

crax

• Coppersmith
  • they/them pronouns but nbd if you mess up
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: July 12, 2017, 06:21:32 pm »

How do you know if a topic is worth it's own thread or if it should just be mentioned in here?

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: July 12, 2017, 08:56:10 pm »

How do you know if a topic is worth it's own thread or if it should just be mentioned in here?

It's a case of if you have to ask...

Also, if conversation sparks up enough around it someone might start a thread on that topic. More often though we just abuse this thread until it does.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2606 on: July 12, 2017, 08:57:44 pm »
+1

Well, the short answer is that you don't, and so it doesn't really matter if you do it the "wrong" way.

But in general, if your topic matches at least one of these descriptions, you might want to create a new thread:

• It's Dominion related
  • It's RSP related (because you can't post that in General Discussion)
  • It's an advertisement (same as above)
  • It's a larger general subject
  • It's a topic you've been interested in for a long time
  • The topic is most likely going to be relevant for longer than a week or so
  • Someone is most likely going to want to talk about the subject without directly responding to what you are saying
  • You want to encourage people to keep talking about the subject even after they're done responding to you specifically
  • You want to draw more attention to the topic than you would get in Random Stuff
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: July 13, 2017, 07:51:45 pm »

I just realised the other day that I don't understand gravity.

In high school and my undergrad mechanical engineering physics courses, gravity was treated as a force in those force diagrams, acting on the center of mass of each object. But, gravity is not exactly a force, right? A force's impact on your movement depends on your inertia, but gravitational acceleration is independent of mass. In those physics classes, gravitational force actually scaled positively with the mass it was applied on. Doesn't that sound completely backwards when you think about it? I also get the sense that all forces you might "feel" from gravity are just from reactionary forces, or come about because perfect "rigid bodies" aren't a reality.

Supposedly gravity is what happens when mass curves spacetime or something, and it's almost like it curves what would normally be straight trajectory without gravity. But then, if you jump up from the ground of the Earth perpendicular to the surface, you accelerate, or "fall" straight back down. Was that jump actually a heavily curved trajectory that got curved due to gravity or something like that?

I wonder if it's a scientific right of passage to realise you don't really understand gravity. Can anyone here chime in to clarify any misconceptions I have or something?

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: July 13, 2017, 08:01:13 pm »

In high school and my undergrad mechanical engineering physics courses, gravity was treated as a force in those force diagrams, acting on the center of mass of each object. But, gravity is not exactly a force, right? A force's impact on your movement depends on your inertia, but gravitational acceleration is independent of mass. In those physics classes, gravitational force actually scaled positively with the mass it was applied on. Doesn't that sound completely backwards when you think about it? I also get the sense that all forces you might "feel" from gravity are just from reactionary forces, or come about because perfect "rigid bodies" aren't a reality.

What's so weird about all of this?  When thought of as a force, gravity is just a force that is proportional to mass, just like how the electrostatic force is proportional to electric charge.  The fact that motion involves mass makes things seem more funky, but the equations still work out almost exactly the same.

Supposedly gravity is what happens when mass curves spacetime or something, and it's almost like it curves what would normally be straight trajectory without gravity. But then, if you jump up from the ground of the Earth perpendicular to the surface, you accelerate, or "fall" straight back down. Was that jump actually a heavily curved trajectory that got curved due to gravity or something like that?

During your jump, you are also moving in time, so even at the start of your jump you are moving diagonally.  Then the curvature of spacetime makes that path slowly curve back down.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: July 13, 2017, 08:30:01 pm »

What's so weird about all of this?  When thought of as a force, gravity is just a force that is proportional to mass, just like how the electrostatic force is proportional to electric charge.  The fact that motion involves mass makes things seem more funky, but the equations still work out almost exactly the same.

During your jump, you are also moving in time, so even at the start of your jump you are moving diagonally.  Then the curvature of spacetime makes that path slowly curve back down.

Moving in time, eh? I guess it's not called "spacetime" for nothing. I guess if I think of my motion as having a time component, or vector, then it can make sense.

I get that gravity is a force that it proportional to mass. It's just a bit, uh, funky how forces produced by gravity are perfectly comparable to forces coming from say impact with an object having momentum.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #2610 on: July 14, 2017, 10:58:31 am »

My 9-month old daughter just had her regular checkup, and now she needs to be re-tested for lead. Which is horrifying. Anybody have any info or stories to put that into perspective?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: July 14, 2017, 12:15:11 pm »
+2

I can't talk about this issue specifically, but the first thing would be to understand that false positives are a lot more common from regular checkups than you would expect, even for very efficient tests, just due to the sheer number of (healthy) people taking them and the number of random things being tested at once.

Of course, that doesn't mean this shouldn't be followed up on, but I don't think you should worry too much about it before the retest.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: July 14, 2017, 12:37:12 pm »
+4

Reminds me of a time when I had a buddy come work for our company and take the required drug test. initial results were that he failed it. I was really surprised and called the testing company to confirm. They in all cases they take two samples and retest in case of failure and they'd have results the next day. Sure enough the next day the test came back negative. I asked them what the chances of that happening were and they said about 1 in a  million which means it happens multiple times per day.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: July 14, 2017, 01:58:12 pm »
+3

It turns out that 99% accuracy is still pretty bad when the real occurrence of what is being tested is much smaller that 1%. In other words, when the population not exhibiting the thing being tested for is much greater than 99%. This sad issue turns up in anomaly detection within a software context.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: July 16, 2017, 08:56:27 pm »
+3

I appreciate the support, guys. Unfortunately the second blood test came back and it was not a false positive.

I think it's likely caused by scraping and repainting our ancient house. Why did I let myself get suckered into this dump? *sigh*

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: July 16, 2017, 09:32:47 pm »
+1

:(

What did the doctor say?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Dylan32

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dylan32
  • Respect: +145
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: July 17, 2017, 01:50:19 am »
+1

I know a guy who is currently in college that had lead poisoning as a kid. I'm not going to say it didn't affect him, because it did, but overall he's fine and having a normal life now.  Without knowing any details, it sounds like you caught it early enough that it maybe hasn't gone too far and they'll be able to help her.
Forum Mafia Record - Wins: 14 - NM9, M97, RMM41, M99, M102, M104, M119, M126, RMM56, M133, M134, RMM58, RMM59, RMM61, RMM60; Losses 15 - RMM37, M89, M94, M95, M96, M100, RMM47 M109, M110, M120, M127, M129, M131, M132, M136; MVPs: 1 - NM9

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: July 17, 2017, 12:00:47 pm »
+2

She is apparently under the threshold at which they treat it. She's at 13. "Normal" is 5 or less. So on the one hand, it could be worse. But on the other hand, no treatment. I mean no amount of lead is good to have in your body. But I'm not sure it yet qualifies as "lead poisoning".

Mostly right now we're in a panic because we still don't know for sure what caused it. Our almost 4-year-old son has lived in the same house all his life and didn't have abnormally high lead levels on his 9-month screening.

We're starting preparations to move to a different house, this being the last and by far largest straw in a litany of old-house woes. In the meantime we're moving in with my parents (who live in a home built around 1985).

I'll feel better/worse once my wife and son have been screened. One big concern is that she's passing lead to our daughter through breast milk. If so we'll have to wean her early, but well whatever. Small price to pay.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: July 18, 2017, 10:53:21 am »
+1

Scraping and repainting an ancient house would do it, as I am learning from working on my "new" old house. Do you have any current projects underway? It would be worth getting some lead testing kits from the hardware store to test the old paint you are scraping. They are fairly cheap. If you need to finish a project, scraping/sanding should be either done by having someone hold a vacuum with a HEPA filter next to you or done wet. Also good to seal off the room in which you are working, if possible. Vacuum drop cloths; do not shake outside. Wash your hands religiously.

Less likely source could be the water. In our town, it's recommended that all baby formula should be mixed with bottled water even though EPA water tests all come back at acceptable levels. "Just to be safe." That does not inspire confidence to me.  If you have lead access pipes anywhere from the street or throughout the house and they are corroding or have otherwise gone bad, they could leeching lead into only your house. Our house had only one lead pipe in the basement, which was easy to bypass, but just to be safe, we switched to bottled water for drinking and cooking, anyway.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: July 18, 2017, 12:07:07 pm »
+4

Scraping and repainting an ancient house would do it, as I am learning from working on my "new" old house. Do you have any current projects underway? It would be worth getting some lead testing kits from the hardware store to test the old paint you are scraping. They are fairly cheap. If you need to finish a project, scraping/sanding should be either done by having someone hold a vacuum with a HEPA filter next to you or done wet. Also good to seal off the room in which you are working, if possible. Vacuum drop cloths; do not shake outside. Wash your hands religiously.

Less likely source could be the water. In our town, it's recommended that all baby formula should be mixed with bottled water even though EPA water tests all come back at acceptable levels. "Just to be safe." That does not inspire confidence to me.  If you have lead access pipes anywhere from the street or throughout the house and they are corroding or have otherwise gone bad, they could leeching lead into only your house. Our house had only one lead pipe in the basement, which was easy to bypass, but just to be safe, we switched to bottled water for drinking and cooking, anyway.

Thanks!

Yes, we were just scraping old paint (and did so last summer as well). By "we", I mean mostly my father-in-law. The paint is on the outside of the house. But we got testing kits to confirm that it's lead-based (it is) and also found out that the peeling paint on our porch interior is lead-based too. Possibly she ate some of that off the floor.

Today my son is getting his blood drawn for testing. Hopefully he's fine. He's shown no signs of developmental difficulties so far after living in this house for nearly 4 years (including through last summer's paint scraping). So, fingers crossed.

Anyway, once this issue became known, my father-in-law vacuumed the house and porch with a HEPA filter, and we're temporarily living with my parents at least until after an expert surveys our house for any more lead sources (tomorrow). We're also sending in a water sample for testing. Regardless of how all that turns out, we're still looking for a new place to live. Our current house just has too many things wrong with it.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 12:30:36 pm by LastFootnote »

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: July 18, 2017, 12:20:04 pm »
+2

Sounds like you're doing all the right things. I hope everything works out.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: July 18, 2017, 08:47:55 pm »

Thanks!

Yes, we were just scraping old paint (and did so last summer as well). By "we", I mean mostly my father-in-law. The paint is on the outside of the house. But we got testing kits to confirm that it's lead-based (it is) and also found out that the peeling paint on our porch interior is lead-based too. Possibly she ate some of that off the floor.

Today my son is getting his blood drawn for testing. Hopefully he's fine. He's shown no signs of developmental difficulties so far after living in this house for nearly 4 years (including through last summer's paint scraping). So, fingers crossed.

Anyway, once this issue became known, my father-in-law vacuumed the house and porch with a HEPA filter, and we're temporarily living with my parents at least until after an expert surveys our house for any more lead sources (tomorrow). We're also sending in a water sample for testing. Regardless of how all that turns out, we're still looking for a new place to live. Our current house just has too many things wrong with it.

...so that means I can't come over to visit.  :-[
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: July 19, 2017, 03:15:02 pm »
+1

The Garden by perverse_idyll for lexigilite
Ron and Hermione move after a man party. What did her best things go and has to deal with people she loves? How many imperfect love really belonges them and needs to be a person? Or will they learn and more than the war?

Neural network writes Harry Potter Fanfiction

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: July 19, 2017, 03:57:54 pm »
+1

Can't be worse than My Immortal.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: July 19, 2017, 07:08:53 pm »

I hope that its training corpus included the seminal work "Lucius Malfoy and the Wibbly Wobbly Wand". Warning: NSFW, NSFBrain.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 123  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.