Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 123  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part III  (Read 650303 times)

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #2525 on: June 15, 2017, 01:06:23 am »
+1

I CAN'T FOR THE LIFE OF ME FIGURE OUT WHAT THIS FUCKING IMAGE OF A GIRL I HAVE INGRAINED IN MY MIND IS

it's like, she looks like fake scully from the later x-files[1] and she's looking up-left at the camera but her hair looks like [2]

it's like an album cover or some sort of picture of a girl from one of the million hecking forms of media that have pictures of girls on them and it suddenly popped into my mind because my friend snapchatted me and looked like this mystery girl and SHE LAID EGGS AND I CAN'T GET RID OF THE MEMORYSPAWN AAAAAAAAAAAA

why must humanity be so flawed, one must imagine sisyphus happy, etc.
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: June 15, 2017, 02:10:43 am »

I CAN'T FOR THE LIFE OF ME FIGURE OUT WHAT THIS FUCKING IMAGE OF A GIRL I HAVE INGRAINED IN MY MIND IS

[snip]

why must humanity be so flawed, one must imagine sisyphus happy, etc.

Peak random, James Joyce couldn't have done better.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: June 15, 2017, 04:10:56 am »

Is this it? Looks like it's actually fake Scully.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 01:59:55 am by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: June 15, 2017, 08:45:27 am »

I had a similarly maddening moment when I was seeing that John Cena commercial about America. The music was so familiar to me, but I just couldn't place it. It was driving me nuts. I knew it was in a movie. I checked V for Vendetta, but the big scenes there were set to the 1812 Overture. Oh, maybe it was played during O Captain, My Captain in the Dead Poets Society. Okay, that was also far off the mark.

It finally hit me that it was in the Truman Show. The piece is by Phillip Glass and is called Anthem.

It was such a relief to have that knowledge. I hope you find your girl.
A man has no signature

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: June 15, 2017, 11:43:13 am »

I had a similarly maddening moment when I was seeing that John Cena commercial about America. The music was so familiar to me, but I just couldn't place it. It was driving me nuts. I knew it was in a movie. I checked V for Vendetta, but the big scenes there were set to the 1812 Overture. Oh, maybe it was played during O Captain, My Captain in the Dead Poets Society. Okay, that was also far off the mark.

It finally hit me that it was in the Truman Show. The piece is by Phillip Glass and is called Anthem.

You should have come to me again. :P I actually would have been able to tell you that one without any research. The Truman Show is one of my favorite movies and I have that track on my computer.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: June 15, 2017, 12:32:41 pm »

You should have come to me again. :P I actually would have been able to tell you that one without any research. The Truman Show is one of my favorite movies and I have that track on my computer.

I've been listening to that entire soundtrack every day for the past couple weeks.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: June 15, 2017, 12:40:23 pm »

And I just now found out that, in fact, that music is not from The Truman Show. It's from a documentary called Powaqqatsi. The song used in the Cena ad is "Anthem (Part 1)", which was not in The Truman Show. The documentary contained parts 1, 2, and 3 of Anthem; Truman Show used part 2.

This also explains finally why The Truman Show soundtrack has a song called Anthem Part 2, when there's no Part 1 there!

It's interesting, I haven't know of composers re-using previous works from one movie when working on another movie.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: June 15, 2017, 01:29:51 pm »

I couldn't remember all the names of Glass's works with those two, so I lumped them together. It did bother me while watching the Truman Show clip that it wasn't quite gelling in my brain that it was the same thing as that commercial.

But man, briefly I had myself convinced it was Dead Poets Society. I even fabricated a memory where there's a close-up of a student's shoe stepping up on the desk as the music swells. I'm glad to have dismissed that delusion, as the music during that scene is pretty awesome too.

I may have to consider consulting Last Footnote for all my music needs.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 01:46:10 pm by Kuildeous »
A man has no signature

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: June 16, 2017, 02:32:20 pm »

I've been listening to that entire soundtrack every day for the past couple weeks.
I love that song! It is somewhat obscure, I'm surprised to actually meet someone else who has it on their playlist.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2534 on: June 18, 2017, 02:54:33 pm »

I just stepped on a Lego.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #2535 on: June 18, 2017, 03:25:56 pm »

They don't hurt as much as everyone says they do.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Dylan32

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dylan32
  • Respect: +145
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: June 18, 2017, 04:58:33 pm »

They don't hurt as much as everyone says they do.

Depends on which size of block you step on.
Forum Mafia Record - Wins: 14 - NM9, M97, RMM41, M99, M102, M104, M119, M126, RMM56, M133, M134, RMM58, RMM59, RMM61, RMM60; Losses 15 - RMM37, M89, M94, M95, M96, M100, RMM47 M109, M110, M120, M127, M129, M131, M132, M136; MVPs: 1 - NM9

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: June 18, 2017, 05:50:52 pm »
+4

Yesterday I played Cave Story for the first time. It was pretty fun, and despite its age (13 years) was pretty great and enjoyable. For those unfamiliar (probably most of you), it's a 2D platformer/RPG where you explore an island, fight enemies with a variety of guns which level up and down as you engage in combat, and seems to have a bit of a focus on cool boss battles. The game is about 5 hours long, and I think there was something like 14 boss battles in that time, which is pretty good going. The difficulty curve is really good, with the later boss fights getting reasonably challenging, and platforming getting somewhat complex as well (especially once I got the Machine Gun, which I quickly discovered lets you hover), and save points are pretty common, so it's a fun challenge and not usually frustrating.

However, after finishing the game I discovered there is a good ending, and i just got the normal ending (I also got the bad ending along the way but fortunately that one is super easy to just load from before and keep going). Sadly, the game REALLY falls down here. I'll warn you now, there might be a few minor to moderate spoilers from here on:

* The requirements to get the good ending are really random. Don't go talk to the person who falls down a hole and gives you a useful powerup. Explore a room in the middle of a boss battle (or technically before instigating the boss) to find a specific item - that only appears if you did the previous task, which is entirely unrelated. Then continue on doing a few other specific things. The results make sense, but I don't see any way you'd work out it's what you're meant to do, unless you already knew.

* The game throws save points out of the window at the point the game gets really hard. This is the one thing that made me stop playing - up to this point, saves were frequent, there was usually one available close before and soon after every boss, as well as scattered throughout the platforming areas. But the final areas of the game on the good ending... no save points. They're also probably the hardest areas in the game, which would be fine... IF the game continued with its own establised "rules" of having saves often. They're tough, but mostly fair on their own. You have to go through three difficult areas, after which is a boss fight without any kind of explicit recovery, so most likely you're going to try and grind for some health before it, which takes a while.

All in all getting to that boss took me around ~10 minutes each time. If there was a save point here, I'd be fairly happy. You could get through that annoying grindy bit, and be ready to challenge the penultimate boss. The boss isn't too hard once you know what you're doing either, although he has a OHKO attack which will only ever get you once - but will probably get you once. And that means 10 more minutes of repeating this area, joy.

And as you might expect, after this... there's still no save point. And in case you're wondering, no checkpoints either. You go on from this area, get a recovery point, but still no saves. And then you have the final boss. I fought him once, and once I figured out his patterns he didn't seem too bad... in phase 1... out of 4... but I still died because I lost too much health as he dashed around unexpectedly in ways I wasn't yet able to anticipate.

At this point, I gave up. Not because I don't think I can do it, but because I don't want to have to play through the same area another maybe 3-5 times, taking 10+ minutes each time, just to reach the final boss and have one attempt at it, and likely get destroyed several times there in the process. It isn't fun any more, and it isn't any more challenging having to play through the same areas several times.

So, TL;DR: Cave Story is really fun. Pretend there's no good ending.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: June 20, 2017, 08:16:00 am »

It seems like games are trying to entice additional game hours with hard-to-accomplish goals. What you describe fits that category. I found something similar in Braid. I enjoyed working for the puzzle pieces in Braid and got most of them without resorting to spoilers. But one of these spoilers talked about getting something else I had never seen before. Turns out they're all over the place, but getting to them is not intuitive. You had to do some outrageous nonobvious moves to discover them.

I started to collect the hidden gewgaws, but then the thrill of collecting them didn't last long since I could only get them by reading about them on a spoiler page. I wasn't really doing the collecting. I don't know what the ending was like in Braid when everything is found, but I wasn't interested.

I enjoyed the good/bad ending in Bioshock. I especially liked it because you could get both without starting the game over. Play the game through where your character takes the noble route. After you complete the good ending, go back to a save a bit before the final scene and start murdering children. Then you can see the bad ending. I think there were actually three endings, so you had to be really bad for the bad ending. Maybe the middle ending was if you only killed a couple of girls. I don't remember that well. I may have to boot that game up again soon.
A man has no signature

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: June 20, 2017, 08:46:05 am »
+3

It seems like games are trying to entice additional game hours with hard-to-accomplish goals. What you describe fits that category.

Cave Story is a game made entirely by one guy (Daisuke Amaya) over the course of 5 years, and released for free on PC. I somehow don't think "enticing additional game hours" entered into the equation. It's just, he wanted to have some challenging optional content.

As for the complaint of not having a checkpoint right before the final, optional boss, I think you can blame that on the save structure of the game. If I recall correctly, when you die you go back to your last save, right? So if there was a save point anywhere in that final optional area, you'd be locked into it and unable to go back and get a different, less-challenging ending if you changed your mind. So I can see why it was done even if it was a mistake in retrospect. I also have not beaten that boss and possibly never will.

Great game, though.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: June 20, 2017, 12:26:45 pm »
+1

As for the complaint of not having a checkpoint right before the final, optional boss, I think you can blame that on the save structure of the game. If I recall correctly, when you die you go back to your last save, right? So if there was a save point anywhere in that final optional area, you'd be locked into it and unable to go back and get a different, less-challenging ending if you changed your mind. So I can see why it was done even if it was a mistake in retrospect. I also have not beaten that boss and possibly never will.

Great game, though.

The final save point is literally right after the point of no return - so that argument doesn't hold ground.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: June 20, 2017, 01:37:28 pm »
+1

Great game, though.

The final save point is literally right after the point of no return - so that argument doesn't hold ground.

??? I though it was in the small hut, and you could still exit it.

EDIT: Yep, I'm right.

Quote from: A FAQ I found through Google
*In the prefab building right before Hell, if you talk to the bookshelf it can teleport you back to right outside the throne room. I never knew bookshelves had teleporting abilities.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 01:43:11 pm by LastFootnote »

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: June 20, 2017, 02:59:50 pm »
+1

You are correct it's in the hut. You are incorrect that you can still exit it. The door is blocked.

Edit: Wait, just noticed that quote... uh, okay. That's... weird. It works, but... why do that?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 03:01:54 pm by Tables »

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: June 21, 2017, 09:59:41 am »

I just found out that the professors of next week's exam grade papers by fitting the students' scores into a normal distribution and then give out "predetermined" grades to everybody. So we already know that (say) 10% of us will get A's, 40% will get B's and so on.

Apart from being fucking idiotic, it's a pretty barebone case of prisoner's dilemma.

And sadly that's probably the most interesting thing related to this exam.   :-\
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 10:02:20 am by Accatitippi »

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: June 21, 2017, 10:20:46 am »

I just found out that the professors of next week's exam grade papers by fitting the students' scores into a normal distribution and then give out "predetermined" grades to everybody. So we already know that (say) 10% of us will get A's, 40% will get B's and so on.

Apart from being fucking idiotic, it's a pretty barebone case of prisoner's dilemma.

And sadly that's probably the most interesting thing related to this exam.   :-\
To be fair, this is an incredibly common thing to do, to various extents.  If it is truly as direct and simple as you describe, it's pretty much a travesty.  But scaling with a rough percentage-of-grades intent is totally normal, and is/can be (often, to my mind at least) completely acceptable.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: June 21, 2017, 10:49:08 am »
+1

To be fair, this is an incredibly common thing to do, to various extents.  If it is truly as direct and simple as you describe, it's pretty much a travesty.  But scaling with a rough percentage-of-grades intent is totally normal, and is/can be (often, to my mind at least) completely acceptable.

Sure, but not in a session-by-session way like these guys do. Their rationale is that "we adjust to the difficulty of each single exam session". The exam is 3 open questions, you have to write as much as you can (and it really is a matter of quantity over quality, as long as you write correct stuff) on two of those of your choice. And they change questions each time, but they are the same for the whole class each time.

I know it's common, and in general the concept is sound, but it's also very commonly misused at my University.

At an oral exam, a friend of mine once was essentially told that the professor had run out of A+ for the exam, given that he didn't want to give more A+ than 1/20 students. Will an A do? (to be fair, that professor has since lost his job, due to him asking students to attach a picture of ourselves to our written exams so that he could recognize the names on the paper).
And I'm not exagerating.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: June 21, 2017, 10:54:06 am »

But scaling with a rough percentage-of-grades intent is totally normal

I see what you did there.

I once had a teacher adjust the average grade of the class to the equivalent of 50% during the first term, then to 65% during the second one.  Granted, the grades were irrelevant for the most part, but man grades the first term were depressing.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: June 21, 2017, 11:01:07 am »
+2

Curving should never arbitrarily lower a grade. The converse is acceptable, however.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: June 21, 2017, 05:09:09 pm »

From what I understand, this is how the new English KS2 SATS exams (11yo tests) work. They're a genius* scaling idea. Basically, the results are set so that after the scores are in, everyone's scores are adjusted to be between 80 and 120, which is clearly a genius* range since it has an obvious middle etc. They're also adjusted so that 80% of pupils score at least 100, which is the mean, which seems like a genius* move, as it means most kids are better than average - after all, a few years ago it was found that half of schools were below average, and that's not acceptable. Now the majority of kids are average or above average, and all we had to do was fudge the numbers a bit - genius*!

*genius may mean idiotic in this post.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: June 21, 2017, 05:23:55 pm »
+1

Curving should never arbitrarily lower a grade. The converse is acceptable, however.

I always loved when people would ask if a certain test/assignment would be graded "on a curve" when what they really wanted was just bonus points to make their grade look better.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 123  All

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 21 queries.