Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 123  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part III  (Read 654134 times)

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #2475 on: April 25, 2017, 12:00:24 pm »
+1

Bodies are absolutely amazing, resilient, and mind bogglingly complex. The owner/operators tend to be careless and stupid.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2476 on: April 25, 2017, 12:05:52 pm »

I don't think it's an amazing idea to think of your body and your mind as two separate things.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: April 25, 2017, 12:11:34 pm »

I don't think it's an amazing idea to think of your body and your mind as two separate things.

Not sure if in response to me or Kuildeous but I would agree that one will follow the other although a priority on the body seems more efficient.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2478 on: April 25, 2017, 12:28:58 pm »
+1

Not sure if in response to me or Kuildeous but I would agree that one will follow the other although a priority on the body seems more efficient.

It was a response to both of you. I didn't say that one will follow the other, I said that there isn't even a reason to differentiate between the two in the first place. The entirety of a person is the entirety of a person and that's the smallest unit there's any point in considering before delving into specific body parts and stuff.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: April 25, 2017, 12:31:32 pm »

It was a response to both of you. I didn't say that one will follow the other, I said that there isn't even a reason to differentiate between the two in the first place. The entirety of a person is the entirety of a person and that's the smallest unit there's any point in considering before delving into specific body parts and stuff.

I do disagree with that. I'll cite comatose and sleeping for starters.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: April 25, 2017, 01:06:31 pm »
+1

I walked by a tea shop that had an employee standing out front to try to drum up business. I prefer to eat Dim Sum when I'm not alone, so I declined. Instead, I got some cheap Chinese food. I made sure to not sit in view of the Dim Sum guy to avoid his judgmental stare.

I shared that on Facebook, and one friend replied, "Dim Sum judgmental employees."
A man has no signature

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2481 on: April 25, 2017, 02:10:35 pm »

I do disagree with that. I'll cite comatose and sleeping for starters.

Well, in order to remain conscious, your cerebral cortex and reticular activating system need to function and you fall into a coma if that isn't the case. The cerebral cortex and the RAS are undoubtedly parts of your body, and similarly, any other body part can stop functioning and then it doesn't do whatever it is that it usually does anymore, so being comatose is not any different from having your hand cut off or something.

As far as sleeping is concerned, it affects a variety of different body parts, some of which are responsible for functions related to your consciousness and some of which are not. The same is true for the body parts that it doesn't affect. There are even body parts that sleeping causes to become more active than they are in a wakeful state, and even that group of body parts includes stuff that doesn't have anything to do with consciousness and stuff that does.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: April 25, 2017, 02:22:15 pm »

A car is still a car without a driver. A driver isn't a driver without a car.
The car without the driver doesn't function as a car is designed to function. A driver without a car can still be many things but cannot be a driver.
So, while there is certainly a symbiotic requirement in effect, the fact is the 2 things are quite separate and do exist in the absence of the other.

I consider the body the car and the mind the driver although I'd temper the idea that the mind can be and do much without the body (Stephen Hawking is a good example of where I am going with this). Making it a RSP topic, I do believe there is something metaphysically inhabiting the body that does not cease to exist when the body expires and decomposes. I believe this metaphysical component is the essential nature of the mind.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: April 25, 2017, 08:57:50 pm »

By the way, do we have anyone here that lives in Tokyo, or elsewhere in Japan?

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: May 03, 2017, 02:04:02 am »
+6

May the Third be with you
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2485 on: May 03, 2017, 07:49:45 am »
+2

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3226
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: May 09, 2017, 03:21:10 pm »

My computer does weird things...

First there is the thing that everything freezes and then goes black for a bit and then goes normal again and there is a popup message saying display drivers have momentarily shut down but recovered. That's been going on for a while, isn't too big of a deal, and happens maybe once per hour. But now it also does this thing where it totally freezes and then won't boot. It's stuck at the graphic card boasting screen at the very beginning, where it shows a picture and says AsRock (I think it's what it's called?) and gives the options to boot differently using F12, F2 or what have you. Strangely, disconnecting mouse, keyboard, internet, and headphones seems to make it work (or maybe just waiting a bit longer)?

I don't want to be unable to use my PC for three days while I figure out how to fix the problem so instead I want to fix it while it's still working. Not having to spend a lot of time on it is a pretty high priority because I hate dealing with hardware and am also bad at it. Based on the symptoms, how certain is it that the graphic card is the problem and can I just figure out which models work and then buy a new one without much ado?

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: May 09, 2017, 03:49:28 pm »
+3

First there is the thing that everything freezes and then goes black for a bit and then goes normal again and there is a popup message saying display drivers have momentarily shut down but recovered. That's been going on for a while, isn't too big of a deal, and happens maybe once per hour. But now it also does this thing where it totally freezes and then won't boot. It's stuck at the graphic card boasting screen at the very beginning, where it shows a picture and says AsRock (I think it's what it's called?) and gives the options to boot differently using F12, F2 or what have you. Strangely, disconnecting mouse, keyboard, internet, and headphones seems to make it work (or maybe just waiting a bit longer)?

I don't want to be unable to use my PC for three days while I figure out how to fix the problem so instead I want to fix it while it's still working. Not having to spend a lot of time on it is a pretty high priority because I hate dealing with hardware and am also bad at it. Based on the symptoms, how certain is it that the graphic card is the problem and can I just figure out which models work and then buy a new one without much ado?

High probability it is graphics related.

Step 1, reseat adapter (also make sure adequate cooling, fan is spinning on card, etc.)
Step 2, update driver, read the changelog for your specific issue
Step 3, research mobo, adapter combination.
Step 4, fallback to onboard graphics

Those are the easiest to try assuming you have a discrete card for graphics. If falling back still doesn't work it sounds like motherboard issue. If you are using onboard graphics maybe invest in a discrete adapter. Lots of variables, here.

However, a glitch every hour is a pretty big deal in my book. totally worth getting that sorted the fuck out. That it has progressed to hanging at the graphics boot screen suggests a problem that could get tot he point of complete failure very soon.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: May 09, 2017, 04:03:19 pm »

That it has progressed to hanging at the graphics boot screen suggests a problem that could get tot he point of complete failure very soon.
Yeah, that was my fear too.

I use a not-on-board graphic card (which I think you mean by discrete?) with an adapter. I'll follow your steps (sounds doable even for me) and report back (though not today, I'll take the gamble that it works for a while longer).

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: May 15, 2017, 10:34:31 am »

Euthanasia for pets is really kind of a horrifying relationship. Here you have this pet who has learned to trust you. Each day she comes to you because you offer food and love. Every day that she comes to you, she has complete faith that she'll leave you happier than before.

But when you make the decision to euthanize the pet, she has no idea. She has one last moment where she comes to you with that same unfailing faith as all the previous days. She has no idea that you're taking her to the end of her life.

It's a weird feeling. I have the power to leave her to her cancer to progress naturally and continue the cycle of her believing that our encounters will always be positive. Naturally I choose not because I interpret her quality of life to be so poor that death is the more compassionate option. That doesn't change the fact that she'll look up at me with that hopeful optimism which will lead directly to her drawing her final breath.

It feels like betrayal, even though I believe it's the best decision. 
A man has no signature

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2490 on: May 15, 2017, 11:16:54 am »

Pet ownership is a responsibility and a significant part of that responsibility is making a prudent decisions about the quality of their life and that includes when is most appropriate to terminate it. My pets do trust me to make that decision for them is how I see it. It's not much different than a DNR relationship with a spouse (except on the scale of emotional import, obviously).

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: May 15, 2017, 11:57:33 am »

I think cognizance is a big factor. A person can choose to have DNR. A person can express their wishes before they reach the point where such a decision is to be made.

It feels weird to me with a pet, because the pet cannot make that determination and is not even aware of such an option. Unless the human is abusive or the animal is solitary or aggressive, the typical relationship is that the pet will trot on up to the human for positive interaction. There's no awareness whatsoever that you're putting that pet in the crate in order to euthanize it.

I'm still going through with it because that is the prudent thing to do, but I just know she's going to expect one thing and get something entirely different. 
A man has no signature

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2492 on: May 15, 2017, 12:17:00 pm »
+1

I definitely think that it's pretty strange that in many countries, a person can make that decision for an animal but can't make it for himself.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: May 15, 2017, 12:43:16 pm »

the typical relationship is that the pet will trot on up to the human for positive interaction. There's no awareness whatsoever that you're putting that pet in the crate in order to euthanize it.

I think this presumes that euthanization is strictly a negative interaction and I am contending that it is not. I see the the lack of cognizance of what is happening making this even more true.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: May 15, 2017, 12:45:16 pm »

All that to say, it sounds like you're probably having a rough day of it. I know we tend to be pedantic and technical around here so I'm certainly not intending to detract from the fact you're having to do something hard today. I'm not sure if my perspective on the situation offers any comfort. While it does ease my mind it has never made the reality of the process much easier.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: May 15, 2017, 01:40:54 pm »

Nah, I get it. I appreciate the empathy.

I'm mostly just musing. It was just a strange thought in my head that the pet will come to me all happy and will allow herself to be put in the crate. I suppose really it's me who'll be affected by the change in routine. Or, rather, notice it.

And yeah, positive interaction was not quite the right wording. Animals (and humans) fight really hard to survive. Even if an animal is in great pain, I imagine she would struggle if something was happening that was killing her (such as strangulation). I wouldn't know since I'm not doing that. But I imagine that even a fully informed and consenting human who agreed to be euthanized would struggle with primal fury. Perfectly good justification for anesthesia.
A man has no signature

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: May 15, 2017, 02:38:32 pm »

I have nothing else to say than: I am very sorry for your loss, Kuildeous.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: May 15, 2017, 02:39:50 pm »

My cat had to be euthanized a couple of weeks ago. It sucks.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: May 20, 2017, 12:46:31 pm »
+1

34567876543 is a prime number!

I wonder if finding that by accident is sufficintly unlikely to warrant me feeling freaked out.

Also I noticed that every number the form 12321, 1234321 etc is exactly p^2*q^2 for two prime numbers p and q (and 121 is 11^2 and 1 is 1). I wonder why. I should really not spend time trying to figure it out.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: May 20, 2017, 12:56:28 pm »

High probability it is graphics related.

Step 1, reseat adapter (also make sure adequate cooling, fan is spinning on card, etc.)
Step 2, update driver, read the changelog for your specific issue
Step 3, research mobo, adapter combination.
Step 4, fallback to onboard graphics

Those are the easiest to try assuming you have a discrete card for graphics. If falling back still doesn't work it sounds like motherboard issue. If you are using onboard graphics maybe invest in a discrete adapter. Lots of variables, here.

However, a glitch every hour is a pretty big deal in my book. totally worth getting that sorted the fuck out. That it has progressed to hanging at the graphics boot screen suggests a problem that could get tot he point of complete failure very soon.

f.ds tech support
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 123  All

Page created in 2.037 seconds with 21 queries.