Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 123  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part III  (Read 650429 times)

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #2450 on: March 23, 2017, 12:10:45 pm »

Also, tangentially related to the sound discussion:

The cochlea is a mechanical Fourier transform calculator.

More than tangentially related, I think :-) When Awaclus started talking about sound waves, I mentioned that to me, music tends to be thought of in frequency space anyway. You can kind of look at a piano keyboard as a spatial representation of the Fourier space for the music... makes sense that we've chosen that sort of a representation, given that our hearing and auditory perception are tied to it.
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: March 26, 2017, 04:49:13 pm »
+3

guah, I can't watch embarrassing scenes. Whenever someone is socially awkward I feel super uncomfortable watching, regardless of whether I like the character or not. I'm only really realizing now how weird it is that I have way more of a problem with that than watching a murder take place or something. I blame society.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2452 on: March 26, 2017, 05:29:04 pm »
+1

guah, I can't watch embarrassing scenes. Whenever someone is socially awkward I feel super uncomfortable watching, regardless of whether I like the character or not. I'm only really realizing now how weird it is that I have way more of a problem with that than watching a murder take place or something. I blame society.

It's probably because a lot of the socially awkward scenes in movies and TV are designed to transmit the awkwardness to the viewer and they really over-emphasize the situation, whereas a lot of the murder scenes are just there to let the viewer know about an important plot point and they tend to be rather watered-down. The most uncomfortable scenes that I've seen are definitely murder and other violent scenes in some of the more extreme and less mainstream movies, #1 being that scene from Exhibit A.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: March 28, 2017, 10:49:58 am »
+1

Feeling nostalgic today:

Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: March 28, 2017, 03:46:53 pm »
+2

Also:

Murica.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 03:49:18 pm by AndrewisFTTW »
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2455 on: March 28, 2017, 04:24:57 pm »

Also:

Murica.

Is he even looking where he's shooting?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: April 01, 2017, 09:42:41 pm »

Pitioss Ruins basically ruins FFXV for me :(  It's close to being really cool, but instead of making it fun and interesting and challenging, they made it obnoxious, stressful, and annoying.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2457 on: April 09, 2017, 05:33:21 am »
+8

MafBot

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: April 14, 2017, 11:10:34 pm »

CAPTCHA IS $NEGATIVE_ADJECTIVE
I am a bot, bleep bloop.

!pointcount [player]: report running total of points for [player].
!review [decision number]: review a certain decision given new and compelling information.
!explain [decision number]: gives a brief explanation of the reasoning for a certain decision (work in progress!)
!request: give a note for the developer. New commands can be considered.

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: April 15, 2017, 01:39:05 am »

The ironic thing is the captcha would be very difficult to get by with a bot.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #2460 on: April 15, 2017, 11:29:44 pm »

Shutting down the con's main gaming room from 745 to 9 is thoroughly annoying, but at least vaguely workable.  Shutting down the area after 9 to run a CAH "tournament" is an insult to gaming.  Moving the rest of gaming to the room directly across from the dance is even more of an insult.

Being on ConCom means hopefully I can get the ear of the gaming coordinator.  And then twist it off while shouting WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: April 19, 2017, 11:40:54 am »
+1

I got a Nintendo Switch two and a half weeks ago, but was busy so didn't intend to use it. But my sister (who was at my parents who I was visiting) insisted on playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild, so I acquiesced and let her use it. Then I let her borrow it for two weeks until I visited again, last weekend.

Well anyway apparently 5 days have passed since then and I've been playing Breath of the Wild a lot. It's really good. I must have put about 40-50 hours into it over the four day Easter weekend plus today, and I'm still probably less than half way through the main story.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: April 19, 2017, 05:59:48 pm »

Also:

Murica.

If you pause it just right on the 3 second mark you can see the bullet with a trace of fire behind it and the gun in full recoil with the barrel angled up.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: April 21, 2017, 11:21:03 am »

does someone know what the complex-number-C with a small x in the exponnent is meant to denote? The complex numbers with abs value =/= 0 perhaps?

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: April 21, 2017, 01:00:12 pm »

does someone know what the complex-number-C with a small x in the exponnent is meant to denote? The complex numbers with abs value =/= 0 perhaps?
The only complex number with abs value of 0 is 0 itself, so yes. I think any field with a small x superscript is the field without the zero element.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: April 22, 2017, 04:53:54 pm »

The only complex number with abs value of 0 is 0 itself, so yes. I think any field with a small x superscript is the field without the zero element.
Yes. Superscript x usually denotes the group of invertible elements in a ring. Which in a field is everything except 0.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: April 22, 2017, 06:55:43 pm »

Fun facts: China airport WiFi blocks Google but not, like, most other sites.  So you can't find what you want but you can get to it if you already know it.  Well I mean I guess you can use other search engines, but who does that?

I think Facebook is also blocked.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: April 22, 2017, 07:21:11 pm »

Fun facts: China airport WiFi blocks Google but not, like, most other sites.  So you can't find what you want but you can get to it if you already know it.  Well I mean I guess you can use other search engines, but who does that?

I think Facebook is also blocked.

This isn't a China airport thing, it's a China-in-general thing. There are Chinese alternatives to a lot of the blocked sites - in particular Baidu is often called "the Chinese Google", and it plays a similar role.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: April 22, 2017, 07:43:18 pm »

Right, I assumed, but I'm just staying in the airport for a layover so haven't gone outside of it.  I ended up using Bing for the first time ever~

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: April 23, 2017, 06:39:15 pm »

Also worth noting if anyone flies a Chinese airline.. cell phones cannot be used even if in airplane mode.  They must be powered off.  I was a bit annoyed as downloaded everything on my phone , including some podcasts, and couldn't use it during a 15 hour flight :(

Tablets and computers can be used, though.

Also, the airline crew is waaaaaaaaaaay more attractive than in America.  And also more formal.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: April 23, 2017, 07:01:20 pm »
+1

Also worth noting if anyone flies a Chinese airline.. cell phones cannot be used even if in airplane mode.  They must be powered off.  I was a bit annoyed as downloaded everything on my phone , including some podcasts, and couldn't use it during a 15 hour flight :(

Also, the airline crew is waaaaaaaaaaay more attractive than in America.  And also more formal.

Do they charge you for water like Spirit?
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: April 23, 2017, 07:02:56 pm »
+1

This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2472 on: April 23, 2017, 07:12:13 pm »
+1

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: April 23, 2017, 07:38:07 pm »

No, they provide meals (actually decent and more food than I needed, really) and beverages without cost.  I'm pretty sure that includes alcohol, though I only asked for water and tea.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: April 25, 2017, 10:03:22 am »

Doctor is a little concerned about my blood pressure. Must do what I can to avoid cutting out salt.

This may mean *gasp* exercising. Oh well, that'll help my cholesterol too.

Bodies are stupid.
A man has no signature
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 123  All

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 21 queries.