Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 123  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part III  (Read 650504 times)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #2350 on: February 03, 2017, 05:09:07 am »
+4

The resolution that works for me is:

- We claim it's guaranteed that a fire alarm happens.
- We claim it's guaranteed it will be a surprise.
- Through logical deduction we can argue that if the 2nd statement is true, the 1st statement cannot always be true.
- So therefore, the original two claims were already inconsistent - they can't both be true at once.

The problem comes when you assume that because the original system was inconsistent, the 1st statement must be false. At the point you prove inconsistency, all bets are off, because you can prove anything you want from a contradiction. You can prove a fire alarm can't happen, and you can also prove a fire alarm can happen.

Suppose we instead concluded that each statement may or may not be true. Then, even on the last day of the week, we don't know if a fire alarm will happen or not. So if it does, it'll be a surprise. And if it doesn't, then well, I guess the 2nd statement resolved to false.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: February 03, 2017, 07:11:19 am »

The resolution that works for me is:

- We claim it's guaranteed that a fire alarm happens.
- We claim it's guaranteed it will be a surprise.
- Through logical deduction we can argue that if the 2nd statement is true, the 1st statement cannot always be true.
- So therefore, the original two claims were already inconsistent - they can't both be true at once.

Yup, that's almost exactly what I thought, too. We start with an assumption and prove a contradiction. No paradox there, it just means the assumption was false. I find that to be satisfying.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: February 03, 2017, 11:09:28 am »
+2

I had something random to mention.  I've forgotten it.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2353 on: February 03, 2017, 11:13:13 am »

By any chance, were you going to take a shower?

I thought of something cool but I forgot what it was.

EDIT: Oh yeah, now I remember what it was. I was planning to take a shower.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: February 03, 2017, 01:43:49 pm »
+1

By any chance, were you going to take a shower?

I thought of something cool but I forgot what it was.

EDIT: Oh yeah, now I remember what it was. I was planning to take a shower.

I'm planning to take a shower one day this week, but it'll be a surprise to everyone here which day that is.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2355 on: February 03, 2017, 01:46:57 pm »
+1

I'm planning to take a shower one day this week, but it'll be a surprise to everyone here which day that is.

I'm more surprised by the fact that you're only going to take one shower this week.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: February 03, 2017, 01:58:21 pm »

All this talk of weeks reminds me of something. Everyone who gets into arguments on the internet should appreciate this.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: February 03, 2017, 02:07:22 pm »

All this talk of weeks reminds me of something. Everyone who gets into arguments on the internet should appreciate this.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: February 03, 2017, 02:09:58 pm »

I read that site often enough to know that thread because it's a recurring meme on the site at this point (akin to blue dogs or bombs, here).
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
  • Respect: +301
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: February 03, 2017, 02:12:17 pm »
+1

Eight days a week I smeeeellllll you
Eight days a week is not enough to shower

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2360 on: February 03, 2017, 02:27:44 pm »

My favorite argument on the Internet must be the thread from MTGSalvation where OP thought that a jitte was a hand, because the card art from Umezawa's Jitte depicts a hand (as well as a weapon that the hand is holding).

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: February 08, 2017, 07:31:46 pm »

Oml stands for oh my lord, right?
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2362 on: February 08, 2017, 07:40:46 pm »
+8

Oml stands for oh my lord, right?

No, it stands for zero milliliters.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: February 09, 2017, 01:15:59 pm »

Arguing over the internet is one of the most pointless things anybody can possibly do, and it feels good to have that detached superiority without seeing the emotional damage it does to others. Other people who are not related to the engagement read that and think, "no thanks." And there is a damage done. When the damage becomes too great, most of the people who just joined because "hey Dominion is fun and let's play together" are going to leave (probably for the Dominion Discord Server), and then eventually that's the end of f.ds as we know it.

I'm not joking. With the amount of pointless argumentative drama going on and a viable alternative in the Dominion Discord Server (Reddit's Dominion forum is not built to have a community as much as it is built to simply relay news), f.ds is simply going to be a thing of the past unless something changes.

It's one thing to have an argument, and it's another thing entirely to be a dick whilst arguing a point. If you're being a dick, I implore you to stop it. Being anonymous on the internet does not mean freedom from consequences.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: February 09, 2017, 06:11:20 pm »
+2

Arguing over the internet is one of the most pointless things anybody can possibly do, and it feels good to have that detached superiority without seeing the emotional damage it does to others. Other people who are not related to the engagement read that and think, "no thanks." And there is a damage done. When the damage becomes too great, most of the people who just joined because "hey Dominion is fun and let's play together" are going to leave (probably for the Dominion Discord Server), and then eventually that's the end of f.ds as we know it.

I'm not joking. With the amount of pointless argumentative drama going on and a viable alternative in the Dominion Discord Server (Reddit's Dominion forum is not built to have a community as much as it is built to simply relay news), f.ds is simply going to be a thing of the past unless something changes.

It's one thing to have an argument, and it's another thing entirely to be a dick whilst arguing a point. If you're being a dick, I implore you to stop it. Being anonymous on the internet does not mean freedom from consequences.

I was in several guilds during my time playing WOW.  I know all about forum drama.  One of my guild leaders even had the "We Know Drama" logo that TBS (or TNT?) used for a while as her forum signature.

I have seen almost none of that here.  There's an instance here and there, and a total troll bombs us about once a year... but other than that I have no clue what you're talking about.  Could you elaborate?  Is this a mafia thing (which I ignore) or an RPS thing (which is there literally to have thar sort of drama)?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2365 on: February 09, 2017, 06:46:18 pm »
+2

Arguing over the internet is one of the most pointless things anybody can possibly do

It's not as pointless as telling people to stop arguing over the Internet.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: February 09, 2017, 08:16:26 pm »
+2

Is this an answer to something specific?

(also, are you the reason why my respect has jumped ~10 points without me posting anything?)

an RSP thing (which is there literally to have that sort of drama)?

It is NOT literally there to have drama. It's there to discuss certain topics that have a tendency to make people emotional. I said it before, and I say it again, this is not ok, because it sounds like it's giving permission to have people be arseholes to each other in that subforum, which is not the case.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: February 10, 2017, 07:16:38 pm »
+4

Arguing over the internet is one of the most pointless things anybody can possibly do

I disagree.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: February 11, 2017, 12:16:28 am »

I disagree.

+1
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: February 11, 2017, 12:36:04 am »
+2

So my sister-in-law, who is taking care of my grandmother-in-law, was wanting an ID bracelet for her in case she wanders off. Being a stubborn old coot, it's quite possible. SIL wanted the bracelet to have her contact information and a warning to anyone that grandma has memory issues.

I feared that the ornery lady would take offense at wearing a bracelet that says, "May lose memory," or anything to do with dementia. I needed something that wouldn't make her remove it out of shame.

Then I remembered that she's always joking that her memory is no longer than her pecker. So I ordered the bracelet to say, "Memory is not longer than pecker." She'll so tickled to wear it that I'm sure she'll show it off to everyone.

I haven't told my SIL that we shipped it to their house yet. I'm eagerly awaiting her response.
A man has no signature

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2370 on: February 20, 2017, 06:12:12 am »

This program is super fun. http://fractron9000.sourceforge.net/

I just made this in it by having no idea what I was doing:

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: February 20, 2017, 09:17:10 am »
+1

So I played Dominion with real cards yesterday. After 2 games, no-one at the board game club wanted to play me because I was "too good".
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: February 20, 2017, 02:53:24 pm »

yeah, playing dominion online kills the game for casual offline purposes.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: February 20, 2017, 04:32:31 pm »

Play with three or more players per game and volunteer to go last every game.

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: February 20, 2017, 04:55:02 pm »

This is one of the main reasons I don't play Dominion Online very much. It feels really unfair when I play against people irl, and I'm not even that good.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 123  All

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.