Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 123  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part III  (Read 654912 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #2250 on: January 21, 2017, 11:00:19 pm »

However, just because you and I don't use a particular phrase doesn't mean there aren't locales where it is still in use. "Don't take kindly" is still used today in certain parts of the United States.
"Don't take kindly" is in fact in use. Not a thing being contested.

I just don't think one can call something that's still in a current dictionary "gibberish".
You totally can, if your goal is merely to communicate clearly, rather than to try to communicate using computer code.

Plus it's fun to bring back old phrases sometimes. There are lots of words in dictionaries that are not used by the general population, but that doesn't render them meaningless.
Your post (not the quoted post) picked apart my humorous observation. I mean. Can't you just not chuckle and move on?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: January 21, 2017, 11:13:54 pm »

Is it common in English for people to refer to kilocalories as just calories?

Basically what Dylan said above.  I have no clue how it happened, nor do I understand why we don't all just use kJ or MJ like civilized people.  Yes, this Big Mac has 3.2 MJ.  That's most of your daily allowance of 8.5 MJ.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: January 21, 2017, 11:15:52 pm »

Is it common in English for people to refer to kilocalories as just calories?

Basically what Dylan said above.  I have no clue how it happened, nor do I understand why we don't all just use kJ or MJ like civilized people.  Yes, this Big Mac has 3.2 MJ.  That's most of your daily allowance of 8.5 MJ.

(Obviously this is metabolic energy.  Complete mass conversion would be a bit larger.)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2253 on: January 22, 2017, 12:07:16 am »

Yes, this Big Mac has 3.2 MJ.  That's most of your daily allowance of 8.5 MJ.

8.5 MJ? Man, that's not anywhere near enough for an adult male.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: January 22, 2017, 12:52:49 am »

Not sure if serious...

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: January 22, 2017, 01:04:54 am »

On a vaguely related note, since you take in an average of around 8.5 MJ per day, and there are close to 85 ks in a day, you radiate about as much energy as a 100 W light bulb.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2256 on: January 22, 2017, 01:18:31 am »

Not sure if serious...

Usually I eat at least 10 MJ and up to something like 16 MJ every day and I'm 183 cm tall, I weigh 61 kg, my waist circumference is 65 cm, and I haven't measured it but if I grab my wrist with the other hand, my thumb touches my little finger. If I ate only 8.5 MJ a day, I would probably start to look pretty horrible pretty soon.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: January 22, 2017, 01:54:00 am »

Not sure if serious...

Usually I eat at least 10 MJ and up to something like 16 MJ every day and I'm 183 cm tall, I weigh 61 kg, my waist circumference is 65 cm, and I haven't measured it but if I grab my wrist with the other hand, my thumb touches my little finger. If I ate only 8.5 MJ a day, I would probably start to look pretty horrible pretty soon.

Um.

You live somewhere with good healthcare, right?

Unless you're extremely active, like lifting and running every day, you should see a doctor.  That sounds like a thyroid problem.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2258 on: January 22, 2017, 02:12:20 am »
+1

Um.

You live somewhere with good healthcare, right?

Unless you're extremely active, like lifting and running every day, you should see a doctor.  That sounds like a thyroid problem.

I don't think that "lifting and running every day" counts as "extremely active". Rather, that sounds pretty normal to me, and if you're not getting any kind of exercise at all, then I would call that being extremely inactive, although I suppose you could get away with just 8.5 MJ a day in that case.

But yeah, I was in the military just a while ago and I've been maintaining and further developing my physical shape since then.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: January 22, 2017, 05:48:39 am »

It's definitely a common thing to do in German.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: January 22, 2017, 02:32:18 pm »
+4

However, just because you and I don't use a particular phrase doesn't mean there aren't locales where it is still in use. "Don't take kindly" is still used today in certain parts of the United States.

I just don't think one can call something that's still in a current dictionary "gibberish".
You totally can, if your goal is merely to communicate clearly, rather than to try to communicate using computer code.

Plus it's fun to bring back old phrases sometimes. There are lots of words in dictionaries that are not used by the general population, but that doesn't render them meaningless.
Your post (not the quoted post) picked apart my humorous observation. I mean. Can't you just not chuckle and move on?
I'm sorry. I think I misunderstood the spirit of what you were getting at (internet being what it is and all).
I have a hard time telling when people are joking or being serious.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: January 22, 2017, 04:57:19 pm »
+4

I'm sorry. I think I misunderstood the spirit of what you were getting at (internet being what it is and all).
I have a hard time telling when people are joking or being serious.

I.e., we don't take kindly to humorous observations around here.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: January 23, 2017, 02:45:54 pm »

I don't think that "lifting and running every day" counts as "extremely active".

If you're lifting and running enough to burn through an extra 5 MJ average of food daily, that's about 2.5-3 hours of exercise daily... I think most people would call that "extremely active."

if you're not getting any kind of exercise at all, then I would call that being extremely inactive, although I suppose you could get away with just 8.5 MJ a day in that case.

Really, a mostly inactive adult male (yeah, I'll cop to that) should be closer to 6 MJ (1500 kcal).

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: January 23, 2017, 02:52:10 pm »

Well it depends on weight, and body composition.  I'm closer to about 2000-2200 kcal, before taking into account exercise.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2264 on: January 23, 2017, 10:59:51 pm »

If you're lifting and running enough to burn through an extra 5 MJ average of food daily, that's about 2.5-3 hours of exercise daily...

Isn't that pretty normal though?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #2265 on: January 23, 2017, 11:03:20 pm »
+3

Most people simply don't have that much time.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: January 24, 2017, 10:55:38 am »
+1

I get about 8 hours of hard exercise per week. I am very fit and strong for my size as a result. Out of the many, many people I know I would say I am towards the top 2% in terms of time spent exercising hard. The only ones I know who do more than that are the people I see at the gym who are going every single day. One of the big issues with going as hard as I do is recovering. It's simply not sustainable to do what I do daily.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: January 24, 2017, 11:08:05 am »
+1

I do lifting three days a week, including warm-up/stretching, it's about two hours each session.  On top of that I play volleyball one or two days; matches are about an hour, sometimes there is more than one match.  Once or twice a month I do tournaments, which is an all-day thing that usually includes about five matches. 

Social obligations and extra volleyball mean less time in the gym.

Also I probably do more walking throughout the day than the standard, as I live in Manhattan.

On average, I'd say I get ~10 hours of exercise a week.  Some weeks are harder, some I need to tone down because of various pain.  I've found BCAA and Creatine help a lot in muscle recover, and joint supplements/fish oil can be helpful as well.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 11:16:13 am by Witherweaver »

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: January 24, 2017, 11:12:07 am »
+1

I should probably add that I will be 39 this year, so recovery doesn't come nearly as easy as it used to.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: January 24, 2017, 01:06:54 pm »

I.e., we don't take kindly to humorous observations around here.

Hey, Droid! We don't serve your kind here!
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: January 24, 2017, 01:37:32 pm »
+1

I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2271 on: January 24, 2017, 02:17:35 pm »

http://www.limerickmaker.com/

I like to think that you wrote all of the lines with no capitalization.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: January 24, 2017, 02:33:52 pm »
+1

If you're lifting and running enough to burn through an extra 5 MJ average of food daily, that's about 2.5-3 hours of exercise daily...

Isn't that pretty normal though?

No, that's not normal at all.  I know people who run marathons; they train 60 to 90 minutes a day.  I know people who go to the gym an hour a day.  These are 99th percentile exercisers.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2273 on: January 24, 2017, 02:41:30 pm »

No, that's not normal at all.  I know people who run marathons; they train 60 to 90 minutes a day.  I know people who go to the gym an hour a day.  These are 99th percentile exercisers.

I mean, they might train for that long, but then there's all the walking and carrying things around and such things that you normally do every day even if you're not trying to train.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3228
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: January 25, 2017, 03:27:32 pm »
+1

On another one-life pokemon run... this time I made the top 4, after losing two runs there. But I still lost half my party >_<

RIP Rainbow (Aerodactyl) (after I was lucky enough to have a female one ;_; and invested four TMs in her ;____;)
RIP h. Sparrow (Articuno) (one-hitted by a rock move, RIP master ball)
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 123  All

Page created in 1.942 seconds with 21 queries.