Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 123  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part III  (Read 654870 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3228
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #1850 on: October 05, 2016, 05:18:48 am »

I think that in fire red, the top 4 use moves strategically while all other trainers use movies randomly. That's pretty mean. and it killed me :x

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: October 05, 2016, 03:19:02 pm »
+2

Ok. So I finally decided to bite the bullet and I'm picking up a (regular) new 3ds today, the Super Mario bundle one.

If I could only get like...3 games to start, what are the best ones?

My favourite 3DS games:

1) The Bravely games, Bravely Default: Where the Fairy Flies and Bravely Second: End Layer (JRPGs). Start with Bravely Default as Second is a direct sequel set in the same world and spoils the story of the first. There's a free demo available as well, and while it showcases the game reasonably well, it's VERY harsh to start with if you're not experienced with JRPGs or a quick learner as it has fairly minimal tutorials and is pretty tough from the start. But the main game is much more gentle and extremely fun. The story is great (for the first 5-6 chapters out of eight), the gameplay is fantastic (for the first 4 chapters and the last 2 chapters out of eight), and there's lots of resources online. I even have a really in depth mechanics guide for Bravely Second!

2) Fire Emblem Fates and Fire Emblem: Awakening (JRPGs). Awakening came out first but the two are both unrelated (pretty much). Awakening is a bit more... free and breakable if you want to, but can be really fun for the crazy things you can start doing. Fates is much more restrained and balanced with tighter gameplay and more interesting challenges. Fates is also two different games! Fates: Birthright is better for series beginners and is slightly easier with the more natural story progression. Fates: Conquest is more difficult (although both have difficulty options) and has more complex scenarios. If you get one and enjoy it you can download the other for a reduced price as well, plus the hidden third route of the game.

3) The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (Action/Adventure). I mean I assume you know what Zelda is. This one is a bit more open world and based heavily on A Link to the Past. It's a little on the short side - I 100% completed it with no guide in 20 hours, but it's good fun regardless.

4) Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy (Puzzle/text adventure). I guess you've heard of the series at least - you play as lawyer Phoenix Wright in wacky court cases, with often interlinking mystery and puzzles going on, trying to prove clients innocent. Trilogy contains all three of the first games for the price of a single game, so if you've never played a game in the series it's a fantastic starting point.

5) Kid Icarus: Uprising (Action). A bit of a quirky but fun action game, which takes place in two phases - there's an on rails shooter type section, and then a ground based adventure section. Both are great fun, and the game offers a decent story as well, with tons of humour. The controls take a bit of getting used to but work really well, and the game has a few nice features for balancing difficulty, risk/reward and tons of unlockables.

Honorable mentions:

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D is a 3DS rerelease of the best game ever, but sadly is N3DS only.

Hyrule Warriors Legends is a fun Warriors style combo/beat em up/whatever game based on Zelda, but it runs not too well on O3DS.

Pokemon X/Y and ORAS are... well they're pokemon. I enjoy my pokemon, it's a decent series, but man is it overrated. Still you probably know if you enjoy pokemon or not. I've heard ORAS are really good as far as pokemon goes.

(Edit: Those darn 8) smilies. I got you this time.)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 03:40:55 pm by Tables »
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: October 05, 2016, 03:27:11 pm »

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D is a 3DS rerelease of the best game ever, but sadly is N3DS only.

Got any tips for getting through Xenoblade Chronicles? I got to maybe the 4th or 5th area before completely losing interest. It's just such a slog, especially for a completionist.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: October 05, 2016, 03:39:40 pm »

Got any tips for getting through Xenoblade Chronicles? I got to maybe the 4th or 5th area before completely losing interest. It's just such a slog, especially for a completionist.

Well you could start by not being a heretic

The game picks up a TON after the Ether Mines. That area is a little dull, but after that things get REALLY good REALLY quickly. You get a 4th party member who is offense based, meaning you can run a team of Shulk/Reyn/4th character and be actually aggressive and fast in combat rather than having Sharla slowing you down. On top of that the 5th and 6th characters come not that long after, meaning you can also start team building and customising.

Also after finishing this area, you stop going through the rather generic Mine area and start going through some of the most beautiful areas in the game - both for music and visuals. The story starts to pick up again from "go save idiot who got himself caught" to "Hey we actually have a mid term goal now and things are happening." So basically, just press through that area. It's easily the weakest part of the game, and it starts getting better and better after.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: October 05, 2016, 03:45:29 pm »

I think that in fire red, the top 4 use moves strategically while all other trainers use movies randomly. That's pretty mean. and it killed me :x
i think most of the games are like that. get excited for a modest amount of bonus stuff after the elite 4
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: October 05, 2016, 04:02:43 pm »
+1

For 3DS, uh, I liked Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. It's a lot lighter than say a JRPG.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: October 05, 2016, 04:39:01 pm »

For 3DS, uh, I liked Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. It's a lot lighter than say a JRPG.

Oh, yeah, I should have mentioned that one. I don't think that's one of the best 3DS games but you know, it's still really good. It was actually my first 3DS game so there's that.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: October 05, 2016, 05:55:15 pm »

Oh, yeah, I should have mentioned that one. I don't think that's one of the best 3DS games but you know, it's still really good. It was actually my first 3DS game so there's that.

It was also my first 3DS game. Go figure.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: October 05, 2016, 06:03:19 pm »
+2

My preferences are a bit more offbeat in places, but I'll offer them in case all of the above doesn't excite you as much.

If you want to try a rhythm game, the 3DS is sadly a bit lacking, but Rhythm Thief is pretty good. If you dig back into the DS archives (sadly, none of which are on the eShop, I believe) then there are classics like Rhythm Heaven and Elite Beat Agents.

Also starting in the DS era is the Professor Layton series, which I've seen described as being like an opera, except instead of characters randomly bursting into song, they burst into puzzles. As in, you'll be looking for information about a missing portrait, and you'll tap on a character to ask them if they know anything, and they'll say "Why yes, I saw someone holding a parcel of about the right size just an hour ago. Speaking of parcels, that reminds me of a puzzle ...". The first trilogy was for the DS, the second was on the 3DS, and there's also a cross-over game with Phoenix Wright that I still haven't gotten around to playing.

If you want to try something more mature but in a similar vein, there's the Zero Escape trilogy. The original game, 999 (9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors), came out on the DS and I also haven't finished that so I can't comment much on it. The sequel, Virtue's Last Reward, has some really cool puzzles and a mind-screw of a story. The third part of the trilogy, Time Dilemma, came out recently and is apparently also really good.

pedroluchini

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: October 06, 2016, 03:58:44 am »
+3

I just finished playing the first Phoenix Wright game. As someone who dislikes visual novels and Japanese storytelling in general... I still had a lot of fun!

(To clarify: I recommend it.)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 07:39:22 am by pedroluchini »

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1860 on: October 06, 2016, 12:15:47 pm »

If you want to try a rhythm game, the 3DS is sadly a bit lacking, but Rhythm Thief is pretty good. If you dig back into the DS archives (sadly, none of which are on the eShop, I believe) then there are classics like Rhythm Heaven and Elite Beat Agents.

I got Rhythm Thief as part of the Humble Bundle a few months back, and it's pretty alright. Definitely not worth it as a full price game, but it was fun for a good ~10 hours of gameplay and had a surprisingly decent (although quite ridiculous) story to it. Elite Beat Agents is fantastic as well, I've put a lot of time into that one.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: October 06, 2016, 01:08:56 pm »

cat /sys/kernel/tegra_mpdecision/conf/boost_freqs
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: October 06, 2016, 01:14:03 pm »
+1

Sometimes I'm not convinced anything more than two hours of the work day is worth it.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: October 06, 2016, 01:29:43 pm »

Sometimes I'm not convinced anything more than two hours of the work day is worth it.

I think the world would be so much of a better place if we all admitted to ourselves that 40 hours doesn't need to be standard for a salaried job and that many jobs would be better for everyone if they paid the same, had the same amount of work per week, but you only came in for 20 focused, no bullshit hours.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: October 06, 2016, 01:32:14 pm »

I think the world would be so much of a better place if we all admitted to ourselves that 40 hours doesn't need to be standard for a salaried job and that many jobs would be better for everyone if they paid the same, had the same amount of work per week, but you only came in for 20 focused, no bullshit hours.

I agree.  Every once and a while I'll have highly productive weeks, where I really am busy the full time, but mostly I just can't stay that focused and productive for eight hours x 5 days straight.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: October 06, 2016, 02:14:00 pm »

I agree.  Every once and a while I'll have highly productive weeks, where I really am busy the full time, but mostly I just can't stay that focused and productive for eight hours x 5 days straight.

And the system is built and tolerant for those lapses! It assumes that! And yet, it demands we all throw away our time in the name of parity and in resistance to change.

bug me on discord

they/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1866 on: October 06, 2016, 02:37:14 pm »

In addition, I think that people should be working less in general, to create jobs for more people while things are getting more and more automatized.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: October 06, 2016, 03:17:48 pm »
+1

Basic income all the way!

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: October 06, 2016, 03:31:07 pm »
+2

A necessary but not sufficient solution to this problem. The greater acceptance and availability of "part time" work would need to come with this, or the 40-hour standard / rut will persist.

Someone else find a link for that "Your Lifestyle Has Already Been Designed" article.

bug me on discord

they/them

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: October 06, 2016, 05:50:44 pm »

A necessary but not sufficient solution to this problem. The greater acceptance and availability of "part time" work would need to come with this, or the 40-hour standard / rut will persist.

Someone else find a link for that "Your Lifestyle Has Already Been Designed" article.

I read a small snippet of it.

It is beautiful.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: October 06, 2016, 09:41:51 pm »

This article made me cry.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: October 06, 2016, 09:45:04 pm »
+1

Oh. And I also appreciate all of the great opinions everyone had on 3DS games.
I'm probably going broke now  ;)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: October 06, 2016, 09:46:39 pm »
+2

Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: October 06, 2016, 10:11:10 pm »
+1

Oh. And I also appreciate all of the great opinions everyone had on 3DS games.
I'm probably going broke now  ;)

Yes, Fire Emblem is great. I guess I can also appreciate that other people posted opinions.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: October 06, 2016, 11:37:46 pm »

Since no one actually linked it:

http://www.raptitude.com/2010/07/your-lifestyle-has-already-been-designed/

I'd say, the time you saved me by linking this article fit into my tendency for quick gratification, resulting in me actually reading the article.

Good read.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 123  All

Page created in 2.8 seconds with 21 queries.