Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 123  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part III  (Read 650284 times)

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #1525 on: August 16, 2016, 02:49:05 pm »

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16067

I've decided to change how the bidding works to something else I've been mulling over (which I think is similar to another game's bidding system I played, something involving dinosaurs, but I can't quite put my finger on what it was). But yeah, go, sign up, let's playtest this thing.

Evo?  Or maybe Stockpile, but I don't think there are quite as many dinosaurs in that game.  This is one of my favorite bidding mechanics ever and I think I try to use it way too much.

Also, it's a low luck game (I'm not entirely sure yet whether to make it no luck besides setup... basically it's just a case of how many of the cards are revealed from the start of the game. I can have everything visible and make it no luck, only reveal cards at the start of the turn and make it quite reaction based, or something in between).

Somewhat controversial, but it should be noted that simultaneous decisions are arguably elements of luck.  It's like Rock-Paper-Scissors.

Your idea sounds a lot like 7 Wonders, except with drafting from a pool instead of from personal hands, and bidding for draft order -- especially the part about the 3 stages.  Only 9 turns total sounds rather short, but I guess it'll depend on the feel you're aiming for.

No, I agree. This was actually something I've been umming and aahing over, whether after each bid all other players in the round should re-bid, or just go with what ends up being the order, even if it's no longer what you want. The former has the advantage of giving players less of a "I got screwed by his bid" feel, while the latter has the advantage of being much quicker, and I'm aiming for more short game.

Regarding 7 Wonders, yeah the comparison is definitely there. 7 Wonders and TtA are two games that both have some loose elements in common.

I actually really like simultaneous decision mechanics, specifically because it's a way of adding luck to a game without making it feel like luck.  It takes away the perfect information (which can be good or bad, depending on what kind of game you're going for), but you still feel responsible for all your decisions.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: August 16, 2016, 02:50:15 pm »
+1

What about Sushi Go? I love that game, and it's got simultaneous decision making!
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: August 16, 2016, 06:52:02 pm »

So, playing Splatoon. I see a Sniper in an exposed position. I'm not using the best weapon to approach, but he's using a scoped charger and he's looking about 90 degrees away from my position, so either a) He's not charged yet, and won't have time to kill me before I'm in range to kill me, or b) He's charged and won't be able to see me due to the scope's tunnel vision. So sure, seems like a good time to attack. As I approach, he swings around 90 degrees, immediately shoots and turns back to where he was looking before. I was dumbfounded. Firstly by the fact he managed to see me approach, which shouldn't have been possible if he was charged enough to kill, second by the fact he made such a big swing around and still got the shot perfectly lined up with basically no aiming period. I have no idea how he managed it.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: August 16, 2016, 07:29:54 pm »

So, playing Splatoon. I see a Sniper in an exposed position. I'm not using the best weapon to approach, but he's using a scoped charger and he's looking about 90 degrees away from my position, so either a) He's not charged yet, and won't have time to kill me before I'm in range to kill me, or b) He's charged and won't be able to see me due to the scope's tunnel vision. So sure, seems like a good time to attack. As I approach, he swings around 90 degrees, immediately shoots and turns back to where he was looking before. I was dumbfounded. Firstly by the fact he managed to see me approach, which shouldn't have been possible if he was charged enough to kill, second by the fact he made such a big swing around and still got the shot perfectly lined up with basically no aiming period. I have no idea how he managed it.

360 Squid scope
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: August 17, 2016, 01:42:34 am »
+1

I just switched to linux.

I am very happy with my decision.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: August 17, 2016, 08:23:33 am »

I just switched to linux.

I am very happy with my decision.

I approve. Actually, knowing your coding background I'm shocked you weren't already there. Some things Linux isn't really cut out for or at least supported in but coding is the very least of those things.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: August 17, 2016, 10:36:16 am »

Tilt controls!

No, really, tilt controls if you have the body control and the patience of a saint, combined with the joystick, let you take these precision shots sometimes. Only some people can manage this though.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: August 17, 2016, 10:51:30 am »
+1

Did the other team have an echolocator?

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: August 17, 2016, 11:23:36 am »

Did the other team have an echolocator?

Not active, for sure. Being tagged would have definitely made me not approach.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: August 17, 2016, 12:02:28 pm »
+1

True willpower is suppressing the urge to shout, “Where’s the best place to fuck,” when listening to Science Fiction Double Feature at work. Oh, Pandora, you’re going to get me in trouble someday.

I also had to resist the urge to whistle when Always Look on the Bright Side of Life came on, but that would have been less disastrous.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: August 17, 2016, 12:08:15 pm »

True willpower is suppressing the urge to shout, “Where’s the best place to fuck,” when listening to Science Fiction Double Feature at work. Oh, Pandora, you’re going to get me in trouble someday.

I also had to resist the urge to whistle when Always Look on the Bright Side of Life came on, but that would have been less disastrous.

Is that something usually done during the theater showings?

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: August 17, 2016, 01:00:32 pm »

Yes, audience members typically shout it just before Richard O’Brien sings, “In the back row.” Then there’s more hijinks after that.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: August 17, 2016, 01:18:19 pm »

Yes, audience members typically shout it just before Richard O’Brien sings, “In the back row.” Then there’s more hijinks after that.

Ah.  I'm a fan but I've never actually had the theater experience. 

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: August 17, 2016, 01:58:14 pm »

Ah.  I'm a fan but I've never actually had the theater experience. 

I suggest it, but the experience can certainly vary.

Ideally, the audience should be a well-oiled machine that speaks in unison or lets someone say his piece.

Sometimes you get audience members who want to be the center of all the attention, so they try to quickly yell something so they can be first and screw up the pacing.
A man has no signature

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: August 18, 2016, 03:58:08 am »

First forum post at 4 AM!
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: August 18, 2016, 04:00:29 am »

Here's another one just to make sure. Good night.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: August 18, 2016, 05:26:46 am »
+2

man, i was content with the hues being blue and white but it does different ones!
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: August 18, 2016, 08:32:15 am »

See how great avatars are? o/

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: August 18, 2016, 08:59:14 am »

Too fast for my taste. Might fix later.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: August 18, 2016, 09:02:31 am »

Although, the GIF limitation may be working against me. Three hundred fifty frames of tweens means that I’m exceeding 256 colors, so some are being dropped. That actually slows it down in some parts.

I wonder if SWFs can be uploaded as avatars.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: August 18, 2016, 09:36:08 am »

Although, the GIF limitation may be working against me. Three hundred fifty frames of tweens means that I’m exceeding 256 colors, so some are being dropped. That actually slows it down in some parts.

Single white females? 

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1546 on: August 18, 2016, 09:37:03 am »

It would be cool if webms could.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: August 20, 2016, 06:48:00 pm »
+1

Happy birthday to me!

Happy Birthday, RR :-) Hope to get to play in a Mafia game with you soon!
(Are many other people here super-young?)
There are two people around my age and one closer to 16. It's hard to tell though
I'm still 13!
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1548 on: August 21, 2016, 06:31:34 am »
+3

Happy birthday to me!

Happy Birthday, RR :-) Hope to get to play in a Mafia game with you soon!
(Are many other people here super-young?)
There are two people around my age and one closer to 16. It's hard to tell though
I'm still 13!

Wow, you're pretty old. Have you considered contacting the Guinness World Records?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: August 21, 2016, 11:30:51 am »
+1

What are satyrs, centaurs and mermaids classified as? Creatures who have the upper half of a human but the lower half of something else. Is there a word for all of those?
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 123  All

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.