Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 123  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part III  (Read 653486 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #1275 on: June 23, 2016, 12:06:09 pm »
+3

I tried not using an avatar for a day, because that is what everyone else does for some reason. I don't get the hype.

Usually I don’t bother with an avatar because I don’t care enough to go through the steps.

Then I have to find a picture.

The only reason I chose an avatar here is because I was playing The Claw in a Cosmic Encounter game, and I thought it might help the players differentiate who I am.

you under-appreciate the importance of an avatar greatly. I associate everyone with his avatar. The choice of how his avatar looks can even change my perception of his character.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: June 23, 2016, 12:10:45 pm »
+6

you under-appreciate the importance of an avatar greatly. I associate everyone with his avatar. The choice of how his avatar looks can even change my perception of his character.

That's ridiculous! You're such a silly pony.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: June 23, 2016, 12:15:34 pm »

That's ridiculous! You're such a silly pony.

Nice one.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: June 23, 2016, 12:25:07 pm »
+1

Avatars are tricky. You want something reasonably unique but meaningful to you.

I don't think I could ever do a card art avatar, because it's quite easy for me to pick the same art as somebody else. That would be confusing, and kind of defeat the purpose.

So being a Hipster that is Too Cool for the Popular Trend of using card art avatars, I picked a late 90's album that's dear to my heart. Seems fitting really. Not the most popular thing in the world, and hardcore board gamers aren't the biggest indie rock snobs, so no chance of avatar collision, right?

Nah, I've seen at least one other person with the same album art for their avatar regardless. Guess there's not much I can do.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1279 on: June 23, 2016, 12:38:54 pm »
+2

To me, having an avatar is kind of like wearing clothes.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #1280 on: June 23, 2016, 01:08:51 pm »

I don't think I could ever do a card art avatar, because it's quite easy for me to pick the same art as somebody else. That would be confusing, and kind of defeat the purpose.

So being a Hipster that is Too Cool for the Popular Trend of using card art avatars, I picked a late 90's album that's dear to my heart. Seems fitting really. Not the most popular thing in the world, and hardcore board gamers aren't the biggest indie rock snobs, so no chance of avatar collision, right?

Nah, I've seen at least one other person with the same album art for their avatar regardless. Guess there's not much I can do.

I do have the album, but haven't used album art as an avatar. One time I considered using In the Aeroplane over the sea, but that was a few years before it turned out to be a meme, and I don't want people thinking I chose it because of that. I don't really like avatars much myself, but I realize they help people identify who is posting. I usually pick characters I like from media.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: June 23, 2016, 01:19:02 pm »
+1

The choice of how his avatar looks can even change my perception of his character.

Ooh, that’s a good point. I’ve now removed my avatar.

I may have been unintentionally judging people on their avatars, and I don’t want to subject everyone else to that burden.
A man has no signature

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: June 23, 2016, 01:22:05 pm »

but that wasn't at all what I meant  :'(

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: June 23, 2016, 01:22:29 pm »

I never knew that. I always assumed you made some weird avatar by yourself with Microsoft paint, and I first thought that weird horn thing was a screaming stick figure.

The choice of how his avatar looks can even change my perception of his character.

I may have been unintentionally judging people on their avatars, and I don’t want to subject everyone else to that burden.

But I liked the robot!  :'( Why oh why did I bring up avatars!?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: June 23, 2016, 01:51:07 pm »
+7

I'm judging you for your lack of character.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: June 23, 2016, 02:19:31 pm »
+3

But I liked the robot!  :'( Why oh why did I bring up avatars!?
The world is filled with those who have said, "I wish I had never asked that."

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: June 23, 2016, 02:21:30 pm »
+3

That’s totally fair. I’m pretty amoral.

But it does raise a good point. If I am not familiar with that person, I may well make judgment calls about him if he has a picture of a gun or Bernie Sanders or the Obama hope poster or a crucifix.

I should be judging people on what they post.

Also if they use apostrophes for plurals. I judge the shit out of those guys.
A man has no signature

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: June 23, 2016, 02:24:05 pm »

That’s totally fair. I’m pretty amoral.

But it does raise a good point. If I am not familiar with that person, I may well make judgment calls about him if he has a picture of a gun or Bernie Sanders or the Obama hope poster or a crucifix.

I do not judge people based on their avatars, it only helps me remember who they are in the first place. A faceless name means less to me than someone with an avatar.

Plus, there's the argument that you will never be without bias no matter what you do.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: June 23, 2016, 02:25:03 pm »

Wait wait, maybe this should be its own thread, but I want silver to analyze what my avatar says about me!
edit: grammar
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 02:26:41 pm by Ichimaru Gin »

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: June 23, 2016, 02:30:12 pm »
+1

Wait wait, maybe this should be its own thread, but I want silver to analyze what my avatar says about me!
edit: grammar

You are clearly a flamboyant robot. I am clearly a confused Roman. But is it so clear? After all, if I am confused, would it not be clear to me at all? Perhaps I perceive that it could potentially be clear, but I am not positive about it.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: June 23, 2016, 02:45:15 pm »
+2

But the avatar you choose is a conscious decision. It does say something about your character. Why is it okay to judge people on what they post, but not on which avatar they choose?

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: June 23, 2016, 03:06:31 pm »
+1

You are clearly a flamboyant robot. I am clearly a confused Roman. But is it so clear? After all, if I am confused, would it not be clear to me at all? Perhaps I perceive that it could potentially be clear, but I am not positive about it.

Pfft, everyone knows that Ichi is the confused robot and you’re the flamboyant Roman.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: June 23, 2016, 03:11:07 pm »
+3

But the avatar you choose is a conscious decision. It does say something about your character. Why is it okay to judge people on what they post, but not on which avatar they choose?

Some people are down with that. I’d just rather be judged for what I post.

What if someone hated Futurama? I know, I know, I should quit talking crazy talk, right? But suppose there is some theoretical madman madder than the edge of space who actually hates Futurama? Now this hypothetical person would see my Clamps avatar and subconsciously (and possibly out loud because he’s mad) say, “This Kuildeous doesn’t know what he’s talking about, because he has a Futurama avatar, so I’m going to ignore every third word of his post and then laugh at how dumb he sounds,” again because he’s mad.

Okay, you can now all relax. That was just a hypothetical. Nobody is that deranged.
A man has no signature

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: June 23, 2016, 03:14:24 pm »

I'd argue that 50% of the internet is that deranged. But I suppose that's the joke.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 03:15:47 pm by Seprix »

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: June 23, 2016, 03:14:59 pm »
+2

Awaclus = role model

Seprix = dishonest role model

silverspawn = senpai

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1295 on: June 23, 2016, 03:22:02 pm »
+2

Me too! Especially considering that he thinks the taijitu is a bird.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: June 23, 2016, 03:47:43 pm »
+4

I don't show users' avatars or signatures. I am still waiting for the option to "don't show posts with memes."

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: June 23, 2016, 04:23:06 pm »

Infthitbox?

My avatar is from a flash (?) game, flOw. It's relaxing and pretty and strangely engaging.  I started using it 6 years ago, and haven't found anything better yet.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: June 23, 2016, 04:55:14 pm »
+1

Me too! Especially considering that he thinks the taijitu is a bird.

Ah, well. I'd say Your avatar shows a lack of respect for conventional wisdom and a confidence in your beliefs, and also that you like trapping helpless birds.

IG's current avatar doesn't tell me much because I don't know what it is.

And both (mostly Awaclus') show that you put thought into your online appearance, because you chose something stylistic

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: June 23, 2016, 05:07:50 pm »

What if someone hated Futurama? I know, I know, I should quit talking crazy talk, right? But suppose there is some theoretical madman madder than the edge of space who actually hates Futurama? Now this hypothetical person would see my Clamps avatar and subconsciously (and possibly out loud because he’s mad) say, “This Kuildeous doesn’t know what he’s talking about, because he has a Futurama avatar, so I’m going to ignore every third word of his post and then laugh at how dumb he sounds,” again because he’s mad.

Okay, you can now all relax. That was just a hypothetical. Nobody is that deranged.

Not having an avatar does not stop you from others judging you based on your avatar, though - now they're judging the fact that you don't have one. That could mean things like you don't care that much about your appearance, or that you haven't bothered to look for how to change it, or maybe other things, most of which negative (from my PoV).

Also, people will associate you more for what you post if you have an avatar, because then they'll remember you as the guy who posted it. If you didn't have one, I might be yet to associate anything with your name, or only have started doing so recently.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 123  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.