Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 123  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part III  (Read 655080 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #1075 on: May 31, 2016, 03:14:19 pm »
+1

I can't run or bicycle for more than about 30 minutes before I overheat.  (I don't sweat enough.)

Further evidence that Kirian is a cold calculating machine.

I wish.  I am a very hot calculating machine.  In the thermodynamic sense.

Is that why you are currently an unbalanced equation?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3229
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: June 01, 2016, 03:54:42 pm »

does anyone here happen to know haskell? I have a problem that I can't figure out via google.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: June 01, 2016, 04:50:16 pm »
+5

does anyone here happen to know haskell? I have a problem that I can't figure out via google.

Yeah, I know him IRL. Why do you ask?
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: June 01, 2016, 05:07:59 pm »

I thought Haskell was a programming language.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: June 01, 2016, 05:20:41 pm »

I thought Haskell was a programming language.
It is, Tables is just being a troll like usual.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: June 01, 2016, 05:31:03 pm »
+1

Tomorrow I'm doing my driving theory test. Just to bring people outside the UK up to speed on how that works, it's a 50 multiple choice question test and you have to get 43 correct to pass. Then there's a hazard perception test where you basically have to watch 14 videos and identify the hazard in each as quickly as possible.

But mostly I want to focus on how weird the multiple choice part is. You get these questions which are literally just basic reasoning and deduction based on the options, and then you get questions about hand signals that nobody actually seems to know (seriously, I've asked a few friends that are drivers and they're always unsure exactly what each one is) that you're meant to use when your indicators aren't working (or whatever), and there's usually multiple reasonable options for them. So about 70% of the questions you can easily blag through without any driving knowledge whatsoever, and then 30% are just learning these answers.

It'd be like having a test that looks a bit like this, if there was a Hyrule Warriors theory test to pass:

Q1: You have enemies approaching from behind, as well as from the front. You should:
a) Ignore the enemies behind you and attack the ones ahead.
b) Ignore the enemies ahead of you, turn and attack the ones behind
c) Dodge towards the side to group the enemies together, and avoid getting flanked
d) Give up and restart the mission

Q2: Which of these weapons does not have a C6?
a) Goddess Harp
b) Horse
c) Scimitars
d) Zora Scale

Most questions on the driving theory look like question 1. I'm sure even if you've never played the game (or even know what genre it is) you can answer question 1 correctly, but question 2, you just look at and guess randomly. Maybe in context you'd be able to eliminate one or two options (e.g. if I'm signalling to turn left, I'm definitely not holding my hand straight out to the right), but yeah, they're kinda like that.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1081 on: June 01, 2016, 05:48:20 pm »

Tomorrow I'm doing my driving theory test. Just to bring people outside the UK up to speed on how that works, it's a 50 multiple choice question test and you have to get 43 correct to pass. Then there's a hazard perception test where you basically have to watch 14 videos and identify the hazard in each as quickly as possible.

But mostly I want to focus on how weird the multiple choice part is. You get these questions which are literally just basic reasoning and deduction based on the options, and then you get questions about hand signals that nobody actually seems to know (seriously, I've asked a few friends that are drivers and they're always unsure exactly what each one is) that you're meant to use when your indicators aren't working (or whatever), and there's usually multiple reasonable options for them. So about 70% of the questions you can easily blag through without any driving knowledge whatsoever, and then 30% are just learning these answers.

It'd be like having a test that looks a bit like this, if there was a Hyrule Warriors theory test to pass:

Q1: You have enemies approaching from behind, as well as from the front. You should:
a) Ignore the enemies behind you and attack the ones ahead.
b) Ignore the enemies ahead of you, turn and attack the ones behind
c) Dodge towards the side to group the enemies together, and avoid getting flanked
d) Give up and restart the mission

Q2: Which of these weapons does not have a C6?
a) Goddess Harp
b) Horse
c) Scimitars
d) Zora Scale

Most questions on the driving theory look like question 1. I'm sure even if you've never played the game (or even know what genre it is) you can answer question 1 correctly, but question 2, you just look at and guess randomly. Maybe in context you'd be able to eliminate one or two options (e.g. if I'm signalling to turn left, I'm definitely not holding my hand straight out to the right), but yeah, they're kinda like that.

Sounds a lot like Finland.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: June 01, 2016, 05:54:29 pm »

Not that dissimilar from the US, either (at least Ohio, where I first got my license).

Also, are you one of those people who somehow have never driven until they've been an adult for several years?  Londoner and using the Underground, or something else?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: June 01, 2016, 06:22:06 pm »

I got a question about whether you could use a powered mobility device in a pedestrian area. I still don't know the answer. Also questions about the proper way to ride a bike.

I got my license when I turned 19. I've basically never driven since.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: June 01, 2016, 06:49:53 pm »

Not that dissimilar from the US, either (at least Ohio, where I first got my license).

Also, are you one of those people who somehow have never driven until they've been an adult for several years?  Londoner and using the Underground, or something else?

I first drove a car at 16, on a school road safety something or other day. But since then, yeah, I didn't learn to drive until very recently at 23. I was a student at uni until I was 21 (no need to drive during that, not that I would have been able to afford it anyway), and since then I've lived in a city with a solid public transport system. Not London level good but a solid bus network.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: June 01, 2016, 07:00:11 pm »

It's basically the same in Germany. there's tons of questions like "Who has ROW in this picture?", but there is also stupid stiff like "Which wheel gets worn most quickly?" or "How much drinking water can be polluted by a drop of oil?" The list of questions is finite though, so you just need to learn them by heart.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: June 01, 2016, 07:26:53 pm »

Thank god I knew how much drinking water can be polluted by a single drop of oil, or else I could have crashed right there!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: June 01, 2016, 09:57:04 pm »

So I saw Wicked tonight.  I've never been so underwhelmed by a stage performance.  The production itself was great, in terms of set, costumes, and the actors themselves were very good.  But the music was pretty bad.. performed well, but bad overall.  It was like the music was just in the way of the storytelling.. like instead of the songs enhancing the story or furthering the plot, it's like we had to wait for them to 'get through a song, before interesting stuff started happening again. 

Really I think this should have been a play.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: June 01, 2016, 10:09:35 pm »

Moral of the story: Musicals are bad.

inb4 people get mad

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: June 01, 2016, 10:31:31 pm »

Moral of the story: Musicals are bad.

inb4 people get mad

Not all are bad, but stuff shouldn't just get made into musicals for the sake of having a musical.  The music should actually, you know, do something.

Cats is a good musical.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: June 01, 2016, 10:35:05 pm »

One time when I was in film history class, I stated that I didn't like musicals, and some girl got incredibly passionate about it. #UninterestingMomentsSeprix2016

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: June 01, 2016, 10:37:05 pm »

Is the answer to question one 'C?'
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: June 01, 2016, 10:49:42 pm »

So I saw Wicked tonight.  I've never been so underwhelmed by a stage performance.  The production itself was great, in terms of set, costumes, and the actors themselves were very good.  But the music was pretty bad.. performed well, but bad overall.  It was like the music was just in the way of the storytelling.. like instead of the songs enhancing the story or furthering the plot, it's like we had to wait for them to 'get through a song, before interesting stuff started happening again. 

Really I think this should have been a play.

I enjoyed the book a lot, but I am not surprised the musical is underwhelming.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: June 01, 2016, 10:57:14 pm »
+1

Cats is a good musical.

You misspelled "bad."

Chess is a good musical, as is Jesus Christ Superstar.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: June 01, 2016, 11:42:03 pm »
+1

I'm a big fan of Evil Dead: The Musical.

The music is actually not all that great, but when the show is put on right, it just fucking rocks. I was sad to learn that not all theatres have splatter zones. I'm just in a lucky region apparently.
A man has no signature

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: June 01, 2016, 11:47:24 pm »

Splatter Zones? I think my level of interest to go to a musical went from 0 to 1.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: June 02, 2016, 12:48:10 am »

Matilda is good. Not a 100% accurate retelling of the book, but enjoyable and the music is very recognisably Tim Minchin.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1097 on: June 02, 2016, 03:59:04 am »

One time when I was in film history class, I stated that I didn't like musicals, and some girl got incredibly passionate about it. #UninterestingMomentsSeprix2016

Sounds like you just need to watch more musicals then.

My favorites are Heart String Marionette and Dancer in the Dark.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pedroluchini

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: June 02, 2016, 04:32:00 am »
+1

I really like Tangled (the Disney movie from a few years ago). Great songs, fun characters, excellent execution of an ages-old formula. Even a trite story can be interesting if it's told well.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: June 02, 2016, 06:00:14 am »

Is the answer to question one 'C?'

Congratulations, you pass!

(There are arguably better options in the actual game than this, but of the four presented this is by far the best. Probably a much better option would be to dash beyond the enemies ahead/behind, to force the other group to approach from your front, so you can fight one group separately for a moment and won't get assaulted from behind when they meet up)
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 123  All

Page created in 1.041 seconds with 21 queries.