Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 123  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part III  (Read 650379 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #900 on: April 26, 2016, 02:11:16 pm »

That makes sense for a picture caption, sure, but not a headline.

Aren't a lot of headlines just picture captions anyway?

Not from what I've read, but maybe it's a regional thing?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: April 26, 2016, 03:06:45 pm »

At the Onion, perhaps.  Or the NY Post.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #902 on: April 26, 2016, 03:16:20 pm »

Headlines with no verbs in them (even going to great lengths to omit any verbs that totally should be there) are extremely commonplace in Finland, especially on the more sensational releases. Here's an example, translated as faithfully as I possibly could, from Ilta-Sanomat: "Prince no last will - an enormous inheritance dispute in the offing, a terrifying disappointment to sister".
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: April 26, 2016, 04:21:04 pm »

Headlines with no verbs in them (even going to great lengths to omit any verbs that totally should be there) are extremely commonplace in Finland, especially on the more sensational releases. Here's an example, translated as faithfully as I possibly could, from Ilta-Sanomat: "Prince no last will - an enormous inheritance dispute in the offing, a terrifying disappointment to sister".

Thinking on it further, I think it's the mundanity of the event rather than the lack of a verb that makes me decide against it as a plausible interpretation.  I mean, "Oil Spill on BC Coast" would make sense as a headline to me.  But "People Near Phone" doesn't, even if you qualify it with why the people or the phone might be somewhat interesting.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #904 on: April 26, 2016, 04:47:46 pm »
+1

Thinking on it further, I think it's the mundanity of the event rather than the lack of a verb that makes me decide against it as a plausible interpretation.  I mean, "Oil Spill on BC Coast" would make sense as a headline to me.  But "People Near Phone" doesn't, even if you qualify it with why the people or the phone might be somewhat interesting.

But then...

who was phone?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: April 26, 2016, 05:07:32 pm »

But then...

who was phone?

moat       
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: April 26, 2016, 06:48:39 pm »

It's a garden path sentence. The horse raced past the barn fell.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: April 26, 2016, 06:56:17 pm »
+1

I just realized what Infthitbox's avatar is. I've seen that GIF before, but it didn't click until now.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: April 26, 2016, 09:04:59 pm »

My MF rating has gone from 4000 to 3500 in just two days, mostly due to the game constantly freezing mid-load. It's infuriating. I don't know where I'd be on the rating, but I can't get past 4000 because of these constant freezes, and it's been this way for months now. I probably shouldn't be caring about my rating as much as I do, but it ticks me off. It's a Mac computer only issue.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: April 27, 2016, 02:44:51 am »

My MF rating has gone from 4000 to 3500 in just two days, mostly due to the game constantly freezing mid-load. It's infuriating. I don't know where I'd be on the rating, but I can't get past 4000 because of these constant freezes, and it's been this way for months now. I probably shouldn't be caring about my rating as much as I do, but it ticks me off. It's a Mac computer only issue.

I've had the same problems, but mostly because I've been playing awfully lately.
My windows client freezes quite often, but I've found that if I wait about 30'' it sometimes recovers, and usually my opponent is still there. :)

I suspect it might be related to my graphic driver/board.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: April 27, 2016, 08:14:52 am »
+1

I've had the same problems, but mostly because I've been playing awfully lately.
My windows client freezes quite often, but I've found that if I wait about 30'' it sometimes recovers, and usually my opponent is still there. :)

I have to win close to 80% of my matches because of the freezing, and I've been losing 50/50 the last couple of days due to careless play, (and playing Iguana Iguana in randoms... He was a god) and the freezing has also been hitting far more often than normal.

It's probably a graphics issue on your part, since it loads eventually. For me, it will never finish loading. It's a Unity bug, at least that's what the devs at MF say. Nothing they can do about it.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #911 on: April 27, 2016, 08:28:34 am »

I have to win close to 80% of my matches because of the freezing, and I've been losing 50/50 the last couple of days due to careless play, (and playing Iguana Iguana in randoms... He was a god) and the freezing has also been hitting far more often than normal.

It's probably a graphics issue on your part, since it loads eventually. For me, it will never finish loading. It's a Unity bug, at least that's what the devs at MF say. Nothing they can do about it.

Well, eventually your rating will get low enough that you will win close to 80% of your matches.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: April 27, 2016, 08:35:38 am »

Well, eventually your rating will get low enough that you will win close to 80% of your matches.

Logically, but I'm sure my ceiling is a lot higher than 4000.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: April 27, 2016, 09:42:09 am »
+3

My MF rating has gone from 4000 to 3500

I too hate it when my motherfucking rating goes down.
A man has no signature

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: April 27, 2016, 10:05:43 am »

careless play (and playing Iguana Iguana in randoms... He was a god)

You were just playing too fast.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: April 27, 2016, 10:13:31 am »

careless play (and playing Iguana Iguana in randoms... He was a god)

You were just playing too fast.

I do that. :)

Man, I don't even want to play until this thing gets fixed. I win three games, and then it freezes, now I'm back to square one with my rating.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 01:28:26 pm by Seprix »

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: April 29, 2016, 01:18:45 pm »

I happened to discover shortcut keys on the Calculator program in Windows. It's not as thorough or intuitive as I would like, but at least I can type 4Y8 if I need to know four to the eighth power. And I often need to know 1/x, and R does that for me.

It does bug me that Shift+3 is the shortcut key for cubing a number, but Shift+2 is the shortcut key for finding the square root. WTF, Microsoft? Incidentally, squaring a number is Q, but they really should have swapped those two around.
A man has no signature

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: April 29, 2016, 01:27:04 pm »
+2

I happened to discover shortcut keys on the Calculator program in Windows. It's not as thorough or intuitive as I would like, but at least I can type 4Y8 if I need to know four to the eighth power. And I often need to know 1/x, and R does that for me.

It does bug me that Shift+3 is the shortcut key for cubing a number, but Shift+2 is the shortcut key for finding the square root. WTF, Microsoft? Incidentally, squaring a number is Q, but they really should have swapped those two around.

Sorry, I think you're posting in the wrong thread. Obviously this should be in the Dominion Online 2017 Features Thread.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: April 29, 2016, 02:32:20 pm »

Sorry, I think you're posting in the wrong thread. Obviously this should be in the Dominion Online 2017 Features Thread.

I was becoming suspicious of the joke during that first page. Now I see what you're getting at.

Although IE9 is getting on my tits. When I download a file from a web page (which I do on a daily basis at work), I am asked in a box if I want to open or save it. In Windows notation, it's Open, but pressing O does not activate the hot key. Why would you underline the letter to indicate that it's a hot key when it's not a hot key? Why, Microsoft?  Whyyyyyyyy?!
A man has no signature

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: April 29, 2016, 03:18:16 pm »

I was becoming suspicious of the joke during that first page. Now I see what you're getting at.

Although IE9 is getting on my tits. When I download a file from a web page (which I do on a daily basis at work), I am asked in a box if I want to open or save it. In Windows notation, it's Open, but pressing O does not activate the hot key. Why would you underline the letter to indicate that it's a hot key when it's not a hot key? Why, Microsoft?  Whyyyyyyyy?!

I can tell you why the hot key wouldn't work, at least. Suppose you have a website with a game on it where you press O rapidly to shoot the zombies or whatever. Now it pops up the file save dialog while you are spamming the O key. Bam, you've just run a potentially malicious executable. As for why they would underline it, I don't know; perhaps it's an oversight.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: April 29, 2016, 03:46:54 pm »

Ilia Repin, Refusal of the confession, 1885.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: April 29, 2016, 03:51:51 pm »

I can tell you why the hot key wouldn't work, at least. Suppose you have a website with a game on it where you press O rapidly to shoot the zombies or whatever. Now it pops up the file save dialog while you are spamming the O key. Bam, you've just run a potentially malicious executable. As for why they would underline it, I don't know; perhaps it's an oversight.

I can understand the former part. It's the latter part that's so inexcusable. Don't tease me with your tarty underlines. I must know that your underscore will deliver when I come calling.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: April 29, 2016, 03:58:46 pm »

I can understand the former part. It's the latter part that's so inexcusable. Don't tease me with your tarty underlines. I must know that your underscore will deliver when I come calling.

It is clearly underlined to warn you that opening the file could have hazardous and often undesirable consequences to your machine.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: April 29, 2016, 04:18:37 pm »

I have watched one too many cringe videos. That video took me to the next level. I'm completely horrified now. It's not funny anymore.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: April 30, 2016, 10:32:10 pm »
+4

I left my computer screen on while out of the house and came back to find my computer display had turned sideways. I'm pretty sure my cat walked across the keyboard while I was gone and ended up hitting CTRL + ALT + Right Arrow
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 123  All

Page created in 1.213 seconds with 21 queries.