Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 123  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part III  (Read 650233 times)

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #825 on: April 14, 2016, 01:18:15 pm »

I get bored really fast with the pick-a-card-to-associate-with-another-card-and-the-best-one-wins games. Sometimes, I use alternate playing methods, such as drawing from the discarded cards. One time, I played "Martha Stewart" in A2A 10 times in a row before anyone noticed. I still have that card in my wallet,  behind my ID. Some people might get mad at this, but we all ended up laughing in the end, as far as I remember.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #826 on: April 14, 2016, 01:23:37 pm »
+2

When people want to play those games I suggest instead a categories game we sort of invented (I'm sure it already exists). We go around in a circle. When it is your turn, you name a category like "dankest f.ds meme," and everyone else writes their response on a slip of paper. The category namer then shuffles the responses and reads them aloud (lots of laughs, usually) and you go around the circle guessing who wrote each response. We haven't played with scoring, but it's easy enough. It's a way more entertaining game than a2a or cah and requires fewer materials.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 02:57:15 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #827 on: April 14, 2016, 01:46:14 pm »

CAH is a great game, but the original decks tend to be super boring on their own. As long as you combine them with someone's (good) custom made deck which is relevant to everyone's interests, it's super good.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: April 16, 2016, 06:37:08 pm »

Browsing random articles on the wiki, I learned that the Spanish for a female explorer is Exploradora. And considering that Dora the Explorer speaks Spanish ... *mind blown*

Also amusingly, the Italian name for Explorer is Avventuriero, because they used Esploratore for Adventurer.

Yeah, that one bothers me a lot. You all complain about mine, the Germans about Bakeress, but believe me, that's nothing:P ;D

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: April 17, 2016, 11:11:02 am »
+3

Happy Birthday to me.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: April 17, 2016, 11:31:41 am »
+1

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #831 on: April 17, 2016, 12:09:04 pm »
+1

Happy Birthday to me.

Happy birthday! Also, cool cake in the profile.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: April 17, 2016, 02:13:32 pm »

Happy Birthday to me.

Happy birthday! Also, cool cake in the profile.

It's not a real cake. It's virtual. You could even say that the cake is a lie.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: April 18, 2016, 04:04:28 pm »
+5

This country's fate lies in the balance. On the 23rd of June the peoples of Britain will gather to decide the fate of the UK in Europe. At this crucial time I beg my friends and acquaintances to vote in the only logical direction.
The way this issue is classically presented is as a binary: Brexit or Bremain. I'd like to suggest this as wrong. Consider the following position: Brinvade.

Yes, kinsfolk, that's right, I said it. I believe it is time that Britain reclaims its sovereignty, and everyone else's. After all, we're both stronger together and need to be the captains of our own destiny. Therefore, it is clear that the only way to reconcile these differences is to march our emperor, Julius Cameron, all the way to Brussels and to sit him upon the throne, iron or otherwise.

The EU parliament is corrupt? Yes, and that is why we shall put an emperor in charge who's known for his benevolence and integrity.

Britain won't have the bargaining power? It will if we control all of Europe.

So, friends, I beseech you, join me on the 23rd as we storm the beaches of Normandy as liberators of the European peoples from the clawing talons of the EU-minati.

(Disclaimer: I stole this from a friends FB wall, and don't know if he stole it from elsewhere.)
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: April 18, 2016, 04:08:37 pm »

I live in America, but it looks like it'd be shit to be in the EU.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: April 18, 2016, 04:09:58 pm »

So, friends, I beseech you, join me on the 23rd as we storm the beaches of Normandy as liberators of the European peoples from the clawing talons of the EU-minati.

There is an HBO plot-line in there somewhere... Mash-up of House of Cards and Game of Thrones and Downton Abbey.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: April 18, 2016, 04:58:35 pm »
+2

Well, I can only say that the feeling is reciprocal  ;D ;)

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: April 18, 2016, 05:34:28 pm »
+1

Well, I can only say that the feeling is reciprocal  ;D ;)
The EU is shit, but being out of it is probably even shitter.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: April 18, 2016, 05:53:17 pm »
+2

This country's fate lies in the balance. On the 23rd of June the peoples of Britain will gather to decide the fate of the UK in Europe. At this crucial time I beg my friends and acquaintances to vote in the only logical direction.
The way this issue is classically presented is as a binary: Brexit or Bremain. I'd like to suggest this as wrong. Consider the following position: Brinvade.

Yes, kinsfolk, that's right, I said it. I believe it is time that Britain reclaims its sovereignty, and everyone else's. After all, we're both stronger together and need to be the captains of our own destiny. Therefore, it is clear that the only way to reconcile these differences is to march our emperor, Julius Cameron, all the way to Brussels and to sit him upon the throne, iron or otherwise.

The EU parliament is corrupt? Yes, and that is why we shall put an emperor in charge who's known for his benevolence and integrity.

Britain won't have the bargaining power? It will if we control all of Europe.

(Disclaimer: I stole this from a friends FB wall, and don't know if he stole it from elsewhere.)

This is about Eurovision, right? ;)

Darth Vader

• Young Witch
  • You don't know the power of the draw card
  • Respect: +314
    • View Profile
    • Best Site Ever
« Reply #839 on: April 18, 2016, 11:48:00 pm »
+2

What does everyone think about Rogue One's teaser trailer?

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: April 19, 2016, 12:00:34 am »

I like it.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: April 19, 2016, 03:39:57 am »

I still don't understand why anyone watches trailers.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: April 19, 2016, 08:08:14 am »

I enjoy watching trailers, but if it's for a movie I already want to see, I won't go out of my way to watch the trailer. For example, I haven't seen the Rogue One trailer. There is a 95% chance I'm going to watch it, so why spoil anything? From what I hear, a woman is being cast as not-a-sidekick so there's an uproar from a group that no one likes.

Trailers do serve a good purpose of alerting me to an upcoming movie that I may not have known about. I don't say, "Oh, that's going to be soooo good," because trailers are usually not an accurate representation of the movie. I'll say that it looks promising.

One benefit of trailers is that if the trailer looks dumb to me, then the movie will suck. But that's not always been the case. I passed over Fight Club because the trailers looked like some stupid Van Damme clone. Man, how wrong I was!

And even a dumb trailer can still have just enough cleverness that it could go either way. I was wary of Guardians of the Galaxy, but it had just enough self-awareness of its own camp that it kept my interest. I figured it was going to be incredibly bad or remarkably good. I'm glad it was the former latter.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 09:33:45 am by Kuildeous »
A man has no signature

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: April 19, 2016, 08:22:55 am »

I figured it was going to be incredibly bad or remarkably good. I'm glad it was the former.

You are glad it was incredibly bad?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #844 on: April 19, 2016, 08:25:25 am »

I watch trailers of movies that I already know I'm going to watch either way and movies that I have already seen, mostly because I'm a big enough fan of the movie that I want to see all of the material that's available. When I'm a huge fan of something, I watch every trailer multiple times. I don't watch trailers of movies that I don't think I'll ever watch, which is why I haven't seen the trailer of that new Star Wars movie. Very rarely I might watch a trailer to decide whether or not I actually want to watch a movie that I'm already tentatively interested in.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: April 19, 2016, 08:31:37 am »

I enjoy watching trailers, but if it's for a movie I already want to see, I won't go out of my way to watch the trailer. For example, I haven't seen the Rogue One trailer. There is a 95% chance I'm going to watch it, so why spoil anything? From what I hear, a woman is being cast as not-a-sidekick so there's an uproar from a group that no one likes.

Trailers do serve a good purpose of alerting me to an upcoming movie that I may not have known about. I don't say, "Oh, that's going to be soooo good," because trailers are usually not an accurate representation of the movie. I'll say that it looks promising.

One benefit of trailers is that if the trailer looks dumb to me, then the movie will suck. But that's not always been the case. I passed over Fight Club because the trailers looked like some stupid Van Damme clone. Man, how wrong I was!

And even a dumb trailer can still have just enough cleverness that it could go either way. I was wary of Guardians of the Galaxy, but it had just enough self-awareness of its own camp that it kept my interest. I figured it was going to be incredibly bad or remarkably good. I'm glad it was the former.

Right. The quality of a trailer has very little to do with the quality of the movie, right ? That's what I think you're saying ?

So why watch them ? All they do is
a) spoil you. Even if not on the plot, on the visuals, on jokes, on specific lines, specific shots etc.
b) set up false expectations. Not only with regards to quality, but also tone : for example Crimson Peak apparently had a trailer selling it as straight horror when it's more gothic romance with bits of horror.
c) Potentially make you miss films you might enjoy because the trailer was awful

You know who makes trailers ? It's not filmmakers, that's for sure. So why would it be indicative of anything ?

I guess the "alerting you to films you might not have heard of" is a decent upside, but I rely on critics for that (specific critics, not Rotten Tomatoes).
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #846 on: April 19, 2016, 08:51:15 am »

So why watch them ? All they do is
a) spoil you. Even if not on the plot, on the visuals, on jokes, on specific lines, specific shots etc.
b) set up false expectations. Not only with regards to quality, but also tone : for example Crimson Peak apparently had a trailer selling it as straight horror when it's more gothic romance with bits of horror.
c) Potentially make you miss films you might enjoy because the trailer was awful

a) is a great reason to watch trailers, because you'll enjoy the movie more the more familiar you are with it when you see it.
b) is also a great reason to watch trailers, because sometimes it's done on purpose to a great effect.
c) is not a problem if you don't watch trailers of films you haven't decided to watch yet.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: April 19, 2016, 08:59:23 am »

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: April 19, 2016, 09:35:00 am »
+1

I figured it was going to be incredibly bad or remarkably good. I'm glad it was the former latter.

You are glad it was incredibly bad?

Goddammit, brain, you had one job.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: April 19, 2016, 09:48:15 am »

Right. The quality of a trailer has very little to do with the quality of the movie, right ? That's what I think you're saying ?

Not exactly. It's true in some cases (re: Fight Club again). In general, I think that the quality of trailers is going to equal or exceed the quality of the movie. So if it's a really shitty trailer (Paul Blart), then I know to give the movie a pass.

Since the purpose of the trailer is to be good enough to get people into theatres, I have to be careful if a trailer looks really good. It might be for a turd.

I would say that trailers are unnecessary, but that's not really true. It's more accurate to say that I'm not the audience for trailers. The hoi polloi are likely to eat up trailers and base their movie-going experience [citation needed]. So the marketing arm puts so much effort into the trailers to grab those people. Regardless of the trailer, I'll browse the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes to see if it is a movie that'll appeal to me. It works pretty well, though it's disappointed a few times (goddammit, Furious 7). So I'll enjoy watching trailers, but they aren't necessary for me.

And yeah, Crimson Peak was just a mess of a movie anyway. I can't blame marketing for doing that with the trailer, because the movie didn't know which way to go. When presented with elements of gothic horror and Victorian suspense, marketing is going to go with horror because that'll get more butts in seats.

Trailers also did a hatchet job to Terminator 2. I remember when that movie came out, all the buzz was about how Arnold is the good guy this time. That's too bad, because the movie was filmed with the right level of suspense. Arnold did not present himself as the good guy until the fight in the mall. In fact, if the filmmakers didn't show the T-1000 murdering people, they really could have lulled us into one mindset and then skullfucked our perception of who's good and who's bad. But marketing was apparently afraid that a mere sequel wouldn't be enough to draw in people (they're not wrong), so they hyped up the Arnold factor. And this was before the WWW, so word of mouth was more limited.

I think the best trailer was for the Matrix. When that movie came out, I didn't know what to expect. They were really tight-lipped about what the Matrix was about. But it generated enough excitement to get people to go see it.
A man has no signature
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 123  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 22 queries.