Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 123  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part III  (Read 650163 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #800 on: April 13, 2016, 03:29:14 pm »

A group of teenagers at a convention who think CAH is edgy and original.

Congenital adrenal hyperplasia?

edit: Oh, Cards Against Humanity.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 03:30:20 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: April 13, 2016, 03:29:55 pm »
+8

Congenital adrenal hyperplasia?

Cosine Adjacent Hypotenuse.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: April 13, 2016, 03:33:43 pm »
+1

Probably a long shot, but does anyone here read Arabic or Persian-Farsi fluently?

I don't myself, but two of my flatmates speak each of them as first or second languages. May they be of help?

I appreciate it. They've decided to go with a professional service, which is for the best. That way, someone can be held accountable if there's a bad translation.

Though now I'm just curious. We were jacking around with various translations listed on this page: https://www.cms.gov/CCIIO/Resources/Regulations-and-Guidance/Downloads/Appendix-B-Sample-Translated-Taglines.pdf

We can copy the text from the PDF and paste it into Word. Aside from the RTL/LTR flow, it looks like some of the words are "elongated(?)". It's like a large space was inserted between two characters. I wonder if that actually changes the meaning. I suppose it could be a font change, like italicizing a word in English changes the look more than the meaning (though Christine does mean something different from Christine).

So if your flatmates have any insight into this, I'm curious.
A man has no signature

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: April 13, 2016, 04:52:41 pm »

I thought you meant Cyanide and Happiness, and didn't understand the hate (although I'll admit it's very hit-and-miss).
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #804 on: April 13, 2016, 04:57:08 pm »
+2

I thought you meant Cyanide and Happiness, and didn't understand the hate (although I'll admit it's very hit-and-miss).

There are also teenagers who think Cyanide and Happiness is edgy and original.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: April 13, 2016, 05:57:00 pm »

Probably a long shot, but does anyone here read Arabic or Persian-Farsi fluently?

I don't myself, but two of my flatmates speak each of them as first or second languages. May they be of help?

I appreciate it. They've decided to go with a professional service, which is for the best. That way, someone can be held accountable if there's a bad translation.

Though now I'm just curious. We were jacking around with various translations listed on this page: https://www.cms.gov/CCIIO/Resources/Regulations-and-Guidance/Downloads/Appendix-B-Sample-Translated-Taglines.pdf

We can copy the text from the PDF and paste it into Word. Aside from the RTL/LTR flow, it looks like some of the words are "elongated(?)". It's like a large space was inserted between two characters. I wonder if that actually changes the meaning. I suppose it could be a font change, like italicizing a word in English changes the look more than the meaning (though Christine does mean something different from Christine).

So if your flatmates have any insight into this, I'm curious.
Copying the text into Libre Write didn't produce any of the large spaces you describe. Anyway, my flatmate reports that the Arabic part is well written and doesn't change with copypasting.
I'll ask the Iranian guy as soon as he comes home, but no white spaces here either.

As a totally unsolicited criticism, I would amend the Italian translation to:
General Tagline:
Se tu o qualcuno che stai aiutando avete domande su [insert SBM program name], hai avete il diritto di ottenere aiuto e informazioni nella tua vostra lingua gratuitamente. Per parlare con un interprete, puoi potete chiamare [insert number here].
Tagline for Notices:
Questo avviso contiene informazioni importanti sulla tua domanda o copertura attraverso [insert SBM program name].
Cerca le date chiave in questo avviso. Potrebbe essere necessario un tuo intervento entro una scadenza determinata per consentirti di mantenere la tua copertura sanitaria o sovvenzione. Hai il diritto di ottenere queste informazioni e assistenza nella tua lingua gratuitamente. Chiama [insert number here].

It's not bad, but not extremely clear either. I had to check the Norwegian, Arabic, and Spanish ones to understand that we were talking about a health insurance. (may or may not be a problem, is fixed by "sanitaria" above - the other fix is a matter of grammar, but the original conveyed the meaning just fine).

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: April 13, 2016, 08:36:02 pm »

Very, very hit-and-miss.  I suspect their new CAH clone will be about as interesting a game as CAH, i.e., I'd prefer to be stabbed in the balls than play it.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: April 13, 2016, 08:52:42 pm »
+7

Very, very hit-and-miss.  I suspect their new CAH clone will be about as interesting a game as CAH, i.e., I'd prefer to be stabbed in the balls than play it.
Until there's a bracket comparing the options though, it's hard to say for sure.

Darth Vader

• Young Witch
  • You don't know the power of the draw card
  • Respect: +314
    • View Profile
    • Best Site Ever
« Reply #808 on: April 14, 2016, 12:05:08 am »
+3

Star Wars Movie Bracket

[1] The Empire Strikes Back
[8] Star Wars Holiday Special

[2] A New Hope
[7] Attack of The Clones

[3] The Force Awakens
[6] The Phantom Menace

[4] Return of The Jedi
[5] Revenge of The Sith
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 12:07:07 am by Darth Vader »

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: April 14, 2016, 12:07:51 am »

8 7 6 5
I think you seeded this incorrectly.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: April 14, 2016, 02:13:49 am »
+5

Browsing random articles on the wiki, I learned that the Spanish for a female explorer is Exploradora. And considering that Dora the Explorer speaks Spanish ... *mind blown*

Also amusingly, the Italian name for Explorer is Avventuriero, because they used Esploratore for Adventurer.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: April 14, 2016, 03:10:13 am »

I'm already bothered by what will the the results

1 7 3 5

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #812 on: April 14, 2016, 08:50:48 am »

Star Wars Movie Bracket

[2] A New Hope
[7] Attack of The Clones

[3] The Force Awakens
[6] The Phantom Menace

[4] Return of The Jedi
[5] Revenge of The Sith
1 2 3 4
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #813 on: April 14, 2016, 08:54:39 am »

I'll vote for 3 because of Videocopilot Saber. I don't have a particular preference regarding the others because I'm not aware if any of the plugins I use were inspired by them.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: April 14, 2016, 09:19:57 am »

Really the only matchup that has any suspense in TFA vs ROJ.

Which shouldn't even happen actually, normally your bracket should not have 1 meet 2 before the finals.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 09:21:51 am by Teproc »
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: April 14, 2016, 09:25:37 am »

I'm also going with 1234. I paused a little bit when comparing Jedi to Sith. Jedi was a decent movie, but it had silliness abound (Ewoks, Tarzan yell, two(!) burp jokes). Still, it was better done than Sith, though I might concede that it barely does that. Sith could have done a better job of setting up the story, but it wasn't terrible.

Poor Christmas special.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: April 14, 2016, 09:52:16 am »

[2] A New Hope
[7] Attack of The Clones

[3] The Force Awakens
[6] The Phantom Menace

[4] Return of The Jedi
[5] Revenge of The Sith

That's an unfortunate lineup.  Attack of the Clones ranked too low; Jedi vs. Sith is tough; Jedi has flaws, but the final fight scene between Luke and Vader is awesome, and far overshadows the lava prancing that Anakin and Obi-Wan do.  I don't know; I could go either way.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: April 14, 2016, 10:23:35 am »

Now that you mention it, I have a similar request. I have a one-page hand written letter (really, about three sentences) that I would like translated out of curiosity. I think it's Arabic. I'll PM it to you if you think they are up for it.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: April 14, 2016, 10:44:51 am »

Unrelated: I just added myself to the members map! Had no idea that was a thing.  Saddeningly few Brits, but ah well. Technically I'm just as much a New Zealander as a British anyway.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: April 14, 2016, 11:52:38 am »
+1

Browsing random articles on the wiki, I learned that the Spanish for a female explorer is Exploradora. And considering that Dora the Explorer speaks Spanish ... *mind blown*

Also amusingly, the Italian name for Explorer is Avventuriero, because they used Esploratore for Adventurer.

The word "exploradora" actually appears in her theme song.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: April 14, 2016, 12:25:22 pm »
+1

I suspect their new CAH clone will be about as interesting a game as CAH, i.e., I'd prefer to be stabbed in the balls than play it.

Forgive me for asking, but have you actually played Cards Against Humanity? I mean probably you have; the reason I ask is that my first exposure to the game was trying to play a different game near a rowdy group of CAH players, and holy crap was that annoying. But then after actually playing it myself I found that enjoy it a lot. With the right group, obviously. Some of the cards are really lowbrow, which I don't personally find amusing, but enough of the cards/combinations are funny to make up for it. It blows Apples to Apples out of the water, for better or worse.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: April 14, 2016, 12:33:43 pm »
+1

I suspect their new CAH clone will be about as interesting a game as CAH, i.e., I'd prefer to be stabbed in the balls than play it.

Forgive me for asking, but have you actually played Cards Against Humanity? I mean probably you have; the reason I ask is that my first exposure to the game was trying to play a different game near a rowdy group of CAH players, and holy crap was that annoying. But then after actually playing it myself I found that enjoy it a lot. With the right group, obviously. Some of the cards are really lowbrow, which I don't personally find amusing, but enough of the cards/combinations are funny to make up for it. It blows Apples to Apples out of the water, for better or worse.

I've had much better experience with Apples to Apples.  It depends a lot on the group.  I played Cards Against Humanity with a group of people that laughed at all the stupid unfunny stuff and didn't find any of the funny things funny.  During my turn, I kept having to choose from a collection of stupid unapplicable choices that were primary there because they had some kind of 'dirty word' in them.  I got bored really easily.

I've always had more fun with Apples to Apples.  It feels like you can be more creative there.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: April 14, 2016, 12:36:06 pm »

Apples to Apples is just way better, at least to me, for the reasons Witherweaver said. I like clever things, and "She said poop" isn't all that funny to me.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 12:52:25 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: April 14, 2016, 01:03:57 pm »
+1

I've had much better experience with Apples to Apples.  It depends a lot on the group.

Truth. It does depend on the group and what their level of humor is at. I find myself passing on playing CAH and A2A because I didn't want to deal with the group. If it's a witty group, then I'm on board.

I like the structure of CAH where you are filling in blanks for sentences. With A2A, it's mostly word association. That can be funny (I was rather pleased with playing Joan of Arc for Sultry, though the judge didn't get it *shrug*). I like to try to be clever in my card choice. For that reason, I actually cheer at Pick 2 or Pick 3 in CAH. It allows me to get rid of those boring cards when they're paired up with other boring cards.

And the boring cards are what make CAH worse. Some cards are simply more excitable than others. Hell, you can read off some of the cards without any context and be guaranteed a snort from someone. A2A doesn't really have that. All cards are homogenously boring. So for that reason, A2A requires greater thought when hooking up a noun with an adjective. Meanwhile, in CAH, if the judge is the type to start busting out laughing at unicorn-humping, then your carefully chosen card probably won't get picked because unicorn-humping.

I like CAH, but I only like it with the right group. Otherwise, I tolerate it. It's fun, but I'm all for ending the game early.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: April 14, 2016, 01:10:36 pm »
+1

I've had much better experience with Apples to Apples.  It depends a lot on the group.

Truth. It does depend on the group and what their level of humor is at. I find myself passing on playing CAH and A2A because I didn't want to deal with the group. If it's a witty group, then I'm on board.

I like the structure of CAH where you are filling in blanks for sentences. With A2A, it's mostly word association. That can be funny (I was rather pleased with playing Joan of Arc for Sultry, though the judge didn't get it *shrug*). I like to try to be clever in my card choice. For that reason, I actually cheer at Pick 2 or Pick 3 in CAH. It allows me to get rid of those boring cards when they're paired up with other boring cards.

And the boring cards are what make CAH worse. Some cards are simply more excitable than others. Hell, you can read off some of the cards without any context and be guaranteed a snort from someone. A2A doesn't really have that. All cards are homogenously boring. So for that reason, A2A requires greater thought when hooking up a noun with an adjective. Meanwhile, in CAH, if the judge is the type to start busting out laughing at unicorn-humping, then your carefully chosen card probably won't get picked because unicorn-humping.

I like CAH, but I only like it with the right group. Otherwise, I tolerate it. It's fun, but I'm all for ending the game early.

Agree.  I think this is what makes Apples to Apples a better game; the player actually provides the humor and content.  Cards Against Humanity wants to be that, but it's actually worse equipped to do so.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 123  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.