Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 123  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part III  (Read 650633 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #675 on: March 22, 2016, 05:51:56 pm »

The thing is, the analogy still works even if that other number is one, three, or some fixed N, even infinity.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: March 22, 2016, 05:59:15 pm »
+3

Me: "It would be like comparing the number of shark attacks against... the number of planets humans live on. One number might change but the other has always been one."
Well, I'm pretty sure the number of planets humans live on used to be 0, will probably increase at some point, and also go back to 0.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: March 23, 2016, 07:47:15 am »

Me: "It would be like comparing the number of shark attacks against... the number of planets humans live on. One number might change but the other has always been one."

Girl in class: "Aren't there three planets humans live on? Earth, Mars and the Moon?"

*Slightly later*

Boy in class: "Isn't there another identical earth planet they found somewhere which has copies of all of us on it?"

Admittedly, these are 11 year old kids, but still, they're an average to above average ability group...

The boy might be intentionally speaking slyly. I could certainly see someone facetiously saying that.

Not sure about the girl's question. I suppose it could be deadpan humor. I'd have to know her prior history.
A man has no signature

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: March 23, 2016, 08:16:27 am »

I think the girl's comment is not that outlandish. She's probably thinking that the Moon (which is not a planet but let's ignore that) and Mars are planets we know and do stuff on. No human has been on Mars of course, but we do have Curiosity sending us pictures etc. It's kind of like the Caribbean in 1500. That's still overestimating how much we know of Mars, but I can see how an 11-year old would get there (especially after somethinglike The Martian, which I could completely see even a relatively smart kid thinking it's a true story).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 08:17:28 am by Teproc »
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: March 23, 2016, 10:05:58 am »
+1

Girl in class: "Aren't there three planets humans live on? Earth, Mars and the Moon?"

*Slightly later*

Boy in class: "Isn't there another identical earth planet they found somewhere which has copies of all of us on it?"

Admittedly, these are 11 year old kids, but still, they're an average to above average ability group...

The boy might be intentionally speaking slyly. I could certainly see someone facetiously saying that.

Not sure about the girl's question. I suppose it could be deadpan humor. I'd have to know her prior history.
Maybe they just don't like him, and are just trolling him?
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: March 23, 2016, 11:47:19 am »
+4

Occam's razor, guys. They probably really thought that. If Tables didn't immediately think they were joking, then I don't think they were.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: March 23, 2016, 12:24:07 pm »
+1

Someone, teleport me from work to home please.
The mere thought of one hour in underground is unbearable.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: March 23, 2016, 12:27:56 pm »

(Also obligatory reminder that I'm a teaching assistant not a teacher, so I wasn't really 'teaching' anything, I just happened to pipe up before the actual teacher did in this case)

Can you... explain further?  Are you observing with intent to later go into teaching?  Is teaching assistant a regular thing at the 6th grade level in Britain?  What's your actual job description?

(Serious questions, not trying to joke or anything, I'm interested.)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: March 23, 2016, 02:56:55 pm »
+3

(Also obligatory reminder that I'm a teaching assistant not a teacher, so I wasn't really 'teaching' anything, I just happened to pipe up before the actual teacher did in this case)

Can you... explain further?  Are you observing with intent to later go into teaching?  Is teaching assistant a regular thing at the 6th grade level in Britain?  What's your actual job description?

From what I understand, Teaching Assistant means something slightly different in the US. I don't know exactly what it is over there or what the equivalent to our TA's are called there.

Basically, a Teaching Assistant's main role is to support students with learning difficulties, called Special Educational Needs or SEN for short - things like dyslexia, autism, physical disabilities such as sight or hearing impairments and so forth. English as an Additional Language, or EAL, isn't quite an SEN need but often TAs will support those students as well. Not every class will have a TA with them, generally only the ones with a significant number of SEN need. Mostly this means the lower sets will have TA support more often, since many SEN needs (yes I know the N stands for need but SENs sounds wrong) tend to lead to lower attainment and needing a slower working pace. This set just happens to be a slightly stronger set with an interesting mix of characters. We have one boy who was born with only one arm (normally fine but I occasionally have to help him with the more graphical stuff), one girl with a moderate visual impairment who I spend most of my time in that group, two boys with autism (one who I spend most of the rest of my time with), one boy with EAL at the point he struggles with language and... I think that's it. Basically, quite a needy group for a middle set.

Exactly what a TA does depends on school, and even varies from lesson to lesson. In the above example I mostly help with the visually impaired girl as I mentioned, while in other lessons I might sit with one or two pupils and help break the work down for them. Other lessons I'll just roam around the room and support generally, but keep an eye on a small number of SEN pupils in particular.

I'm happy to talk more about what TAs do if you're still interested but have to get going now, sorry.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #684 on: March 23, 2016, 06:20:25 pm »

From what I understand, Teaching Assistant means something slightly different in the US. I don't know exactly what it is over there or what the equivalent to our TA's are called there.

Basically, a Teaching Assistant's main role is to support students with learning difficulties, called Special Educational Needs or SEN for short - things like dyslexia, autism, physical disabilities such as sight or hearing impairments and so forth. English as an Additional Language, or EAL, isn't quite an SEN need but often TAs will support those students as well. Not every class will have a TA with them, generally only the ones with a significant number of SEN need. Mostly this means the lower sets will have TA support more often, since many SEN needs (yes I know the N stands for need but SENs sounds wrong) tend to lead to lower attainment and needing a slower working pace. This set just happens to be a slightly stronger set with an interesting mix of characters. We have one boy who was born with only one arm (normally fine but I occasionally have to help him with the more graphical stuff), one girl with a moderate visual impairment who I spend most of my time in that group, two boys with autism (one who I spend most of the rest of my time with), one boy with EAL at the point he struggles with language and... I think that's it. Basically, quite a needy group for a middle set.

Exactly what a TA does depends on school, and even varies from lesson to lesson. In the above example I mostly help with the visually impaired girl as I mentioned, while in other lessons I might sit with one or two pupils and help break the work down for them. Other lessons I'll just roam around the room and support generally, but keep an eye on a small number of SEN pupils in particular.

I'm happy to talk more about what TAs do if you're still interested but have to get going now, sorry.

Yeah, that is completely different from over here. In the US, a TA is usually a grad student who teaches parts of a course (or even all of it sometimes) for a professor. Or someone who does administrative tasks for a busy professor. I think the job you're referring to is usually just called a 'special needs educator' here (maybe not that exact wording, but I have several colleagues on that path).
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: March 23, 2016, 07:16:32 pm »

Basically, a Teaching Assistant's main role is to support students with learning difficulties, called Special Educational Needs or SEN for short - things like dyslexia, autism, physical disabilities such as sight or hearing impairments and so forth. English as an Additional Language, or EAL, isn't quite an SEN need but often TAs will support those students as well.

Ah, got it, I thought that might have been what you meant but couldn't be sure.  Over here that would be a paraprofessional, or para for short.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 24, 2016, 06:54:19 am »
+3

At the university level in Britain, the term TA starts matching up again with the US definition.  Or more so, anyway.
For instance I have done some TAing for a few varied 3rd year courses. The professor and I teach the class jointly, him taking the lead obviously. But my main role there was to collect and mark the work for the students, leaving the professor time to focus on the class itself.

The marking can be an almighty pain, hoping to graduate to tutor next year to avoid it.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: March 24, 2016, 09:00:18 pm »

At the university level in Britain, the term TA starts matching up again with the US definition.  Or more so, anyway.
For instance I have done some TAing for a few varied 3rd year courses. The professor and I teach the class jointly, him taking the lead obviously. But my main role there was to collect and mark the work for the students, leaving the professor time to focus on the class itself.

The marking can be an almighty pain, hoping to graduate to tutor next year to avoid it.

NOBODY likes grading.  But at least you get paid for it  :D

Darth Vader

• Young Witch
  • You don't know the power of the draw card
  • Respect: +314
    • View Profile
    • Best Site Ever
« Reply #688 on: March 26, 2016, 08:35:26 pm »

Obi-Wan was the worst teacher of all time. He even flat out lied to Luke about me and that I was his dad and stuff.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: March 28, 2016, 07:12:29 pm »

I know someone who had people literally photocopy his solution to something and hand it in, including his name on them.
I know someone who had a "wall of shame" in his PhD office for examples of blatant plagiarism. This included one essay where the introduction and conclusion were in the student's highly identifiable broken English, while the body was grammatically perfect (and pretty much verbatim the relevant Wikipedia article). I think he had one or two more copied-from-Wikipedia essays that left in links and citation marks.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: March 30, 2016, 10:32:45 pm »

I don't think this deserves its own thread:

In what order do you think of the base cards? Is it Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse? Is it Curse, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province? Is it Copper, Silver, Gold, Curse, Estate, Duchy, Province? Is it Curse, Estate, Duchy, Province, Copper, Silver, Gold? Is it something else?

Thanks!
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: March 30, 2016, 11:03:26 pm »

In what order do you think of the base cards? Is it Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse? Is it Curse, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province? Is it Copper, Silver, Gold, Curse, Estate, Duchy, Province? Is it Curse, Estate, Duchy, Province, Copper, Silver, Gold? Is it something else?

Thanks!

The first one.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: March 30, 2016, 11:08:22 pm »

Thanks!

The first one.

Same with me.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: March 30, 2016, 11:32:26 pm »
+1

Thanks!
Today it's Copper, Silver, Gold, Province, Estate, Duchy, Curse.

Ask again tomorrow.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: March 30, 2016, 11:34:26 pm »

I set it up in this way:

Event E D P [C] C [R]
Event C S G [P] Trash

I don't use the trash pile card, but instead set the cards sideways, to constitute a difference in pile.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 11:39:52 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: March 30, 2016, 11:38:48 pm »

I set it up Seprix's way. If I were explaining the game to someone new, the first one. If I were thinking about it during the game, Province - Gold - Silver  - Duchy - Estate - Copper since that's roughly the order I consider them when making buy decisions.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #696 on: March 31, 2016, 04:18:12 am »

Thanks!

Copper, Silver, Gold, Province, Duchy, Estate, Curse.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: March 31, 2016, 04:40:44 am »

I think of them as I lay them out on the table when I play, which is

Curse Estate Duchy Province (Colony)
(Trash) Copper Silver (Potion) Gold (Platinum)
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: March 31, 2016, 12:30:25 pm »
+2

You know what's the worst when I'm playing in-person Dominion (which is very rare)?  When people set up the cards in cost order... including the standard supply cards.  So the table gets laid out something like this:

Colony - Platinum - Province
Inheritance - King's Court - Gold - Nobles
Market - Catacombs - Duchy
Coppersmith - Worker's Village - Tournament
Silver - Oasis - Urchin - Plan
Page - Pawn - Estate
Copper - [Curse]

(These sorts of people invariably fail to put out curse if there's no curser.)

So this means that depending on my seat, I have to look over/around big stacks to see the standard kingdom stacks.  And don't forget the events being mixed in with all the regular cards!

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: March 31, 2016, 12:34:45 pm »

You know what's the worst when I'm playing in-person Dominion (which is very rare)?  When people set up the cards in cost order... including the standard supply cards.  So the table gets laid out something like this:

Colony - Platinum - Province
Inheritance - King's Court - Gold - Nobles
Market - Catacombs - Duchy
Coppersmith - Worker's Village - Tournament
Silver - Oasis - Urchin - Plan
Page - Pawn - Estate
Copper - [Curse]

(These sorts of people invariably fail to put out curse if there's no curser.)

So this means that depending on my seat, I have to look over/around big stacks to see the standard kingdom stacks.  And don't forget the events being mixed in with all the regular cards!

I set up the Kingdom cards in cost order, but who would do THAT!?
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 123  All

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 21 queries.