Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 123  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part III  (Read 650599 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #600 on: March 15, 2016, 12:29:18 am »

Or you could say that Windows 8 is better than Windows 7.

How is Windows 8.1 not better than Windows 7? It allows for more customization and the technical implementation of how it handles audio is much more sensible.

I can't tell if you're trolling to mess with me, or if you actually believe that.  Next you'll say that the New World Symphony was pablum for the masses

In particular, the Scherzo/Trio second movement of Beethoven 9 is astonishingly good. 

Beethoven was groundbreaking at the time and it's great that he more or less came up with some concepts that inspired later composers to use them to a much better effect, but he himself just wasn't really very good. I think the New World Symphony is pretty good, but it doesn't leave as big of an impact as many other works do and honestly I've forgotten the vast majority of what happens in it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: March 15, 2016, 12:40:29 am »
+2

i think that silverspawn has laid out his whatever quite nicely with respect to star wars, regardless of my stance on the movies

i think the only time you can find a good classical song is when you find a kinda dumb mozart compilation thing on spotify whilst looking for a song that you had to analyse in high school music theory
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #602 on: March 15, 2016, 12:46:15 am »

i think that silverspawn has laid out his whatever quite nicely with respect to star wars, regardless of my stance on the movies

i think the only time you can find a good classical song is when you find a kinda dumb mozart compilation thing on spotify whilst looking for a song that you had to analyse in high school music theory

We never had to analyze songs in music theory in HS. We did that in music listening instead.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: March 15, 2016, 08:42:46 am »

Okay, someone beside me must have seen Shutter Island. I thought that movie was really well known. Awaclus? eH?

I avoid Leo movies as much as possible.

Except The Beach.  That movie was the bomb.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

pedroluchini

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: March 15, 2016, 08:52:55 am »
+2

I watched Shutter Island around the same time I watched Inception. I started to wonder whether Leonardo-DiCaprio-plays-a-mentally-unbalanced-man-who-can't-get-over-the-death-of-his-wife was a new cinematic genre I was unaware of.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: March 15, 2016, 09:02:09 am »

Why is it so hard to preorder Fire Emblem Fates Collector's Edition in Sweden?

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: March 15, 2016, 06:25:51 pm »

So "flower of mustard" is a chip flavor.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: March 15, 2016, 06:39:56 pm »
+1

Why is it so hard to preorder Fire Emblem Fates Collector's Edition in Sweden?

I'm considering getting the collector's edition of Fates here in the UK. I mean right now I'm still completely occupied with Bravely Second, which personally was the JRPG I was more looking forward to this year (and it delivered) despite being a huge FE fan, but... yeah, once it hits April I'm gonna be wanting to get some Fire Emblem, and need to decide which version I want to get - collector's edition, or buy one and get the other two digitially.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: March 16, 2016, 02:45:06 am »

I mainly play FE for the strategy, rather than RPG parts. Which is one of the reasons why I dind't think SD was as bad as a lot of others seem to. That said, it was not a great game.

On a completely different note. I had no idea I needed this in my life.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: March 16, 2016, 03:29:10 am »

Yeah, I generally like RPGs for the strategy side of things. I couldn't care less for who to make my waifbando or husbu in Awakening, just go for whoever seems to work best strategically. No, I'm not doing random encounters, even on Lunatic, give me that proper strategy experience. It's part of why I like RPGs you can get through without grinding, maximum challenge and interest.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: March 16, 2016, 02:21:33 pm »
+1

Trampled by Turtles is my new third favorite band.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: March 17, 2016, 01:29:23 pm »

I mainly play FE for the strategy, rather than RPG parts. Which is one of the reasons why I dind't think SD was as bad as a lot of others seem to. That said, it was not a great game.

On a completely different note. I had no idea I needed this in my life.

Ha, I just stumbled upon that channel myself last night. The folding a piece of paper in half 7 times is epic.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: March 18, 2016, 02:25:34 am »

Three randenim studds!! Don't u darw call me odd topic!!!
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: March 18, 2016, 02:42:27 am »
+4

We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: March 18, 2016, 09:16:48 am »
+5

I kind of want to hang out with drunk iguana iguana now.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: March 20, 2016, 02:33:09 am »
+2

So. I'm basically being accused of plagiarism in my programming class right now. Another student and I had contacted the department chair with some concerns about how our professor was teaching the class. I won't go into the specifics, but we were informed that there were at least several other groups that shared similar concerns. And...now my grading rubric for an assignment says that my solution was "identical" to another student's, so I lose 25%.

Needless to say I'm pretty stressed about this.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 02:36:27 am by Ichimaru Gin »

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: March 20, 2016, 04:30:04 am »
+3

So. I'm basically being accused of plagiarism in my programming class right now. Another student and I had contacted the department chair with some concerns about how our professor was teaching the class. I won't go into the specifics, but we were informed that there were at least several other groups that shared similar concerns. And...now my grading rubric for an assignment says that my solution was "identical" to another student's, so I lose 25%.

Is there a superior body you can appeal to to evaluate your case? Many universities here have specific anti-plagiarism boards that make the decision about what is plagiarism and what isn't, and about what to do about each case.
Or even just a generic grading complaint system.
Is the assignment a written essay or practical work? In case of a written essay it should be fairly easy to defend your case, unless you've been really unlucky. If it's a piece of program you might make the case that, while there are many degrees of freedom in making a good work, they are not different or varied enough to guarantee that each student will provide a completely unique solution, in particular since you've all been taught at the same establishment. It's a bit like accusing somebody of plagiarism over the way they solved an equation.
Anyhow, it really sucks, I've been in a similar situation (which resolved in the best way possible) and I know how it feels. :/

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: March 20, 2016, 06:10:27 am »
+5

Obviously I don't know the proper procedures at your school, so take everything I'm about to say with a grain or two of salt.  This is from my experience as an adjunct instructor at three separate universities/colleges, and five years in high schools.

First, if your prof says your solution was identical to another student's, he should be able to provide proof.  I spent many hours making copies of identical papers, and many more hours explaining to students, department chairs, and, at the high school level, parents**.  If he has no proof and still will not change your grade back, this is a separate complaint to take to the department chair.

Second, if the department chair hasn't been as responsive as you would like to your previous complaints, you need to go further up the chain of command, as it were.  It sounds like your concerns were... placated... and possibly not taken seriously--it's hard to say.  Certainly the department chair should respond to your complaint about the "identical" charge if the prof has no copies and no evidence.

At most universities, the next step is to contact the dean of the college.  To go to that level, you need to make sure everything that has happened so far is written out, ideally typed as though it were a lab report or the like.  Your university may have a formal complaint system that you will need to navigate, so please check your student handbook to be certain you're following the proper procedures.

**The worst one was a year and a half ago, when a student turned in a lab report that was literally identical to a report from a previous year's student.  Down to data that matched what the previous year's student had measured, as opposed to what his group had measured.  In that class, the students turned their work in electronically, so it was impressively easy to catch and prove.  Amusingly, this is a student who I had taught nine years earlier at the high school level... and had behavior and general academic problems at that time.  It was sad to see that nine years, including seven in adulthood, had failed to significantly change his attitude toward schooling.  (He received a zero for the lab and ultimately failed.)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: March 20, 2016, 11:42:05 am »

Is there a superior body you can appeal to to evaluate your case? Many universities here have specific anti-plagiarism boards that make the decision about what is plagiarism and what isn't, and about what to do about each case.
Or even just a generic grading complaint system.
Is the assignment a written essay or practical work? In case of a written essay it should be fairly easy to defend your case, unless you've been really unlucky. If it's a piece of program you might make the case that, while there are many degrees of freedom in making a good work, they are not different or varied enough to guarantee that each student will provide a completely unique solution, in particular since you've all been taught at the same establishment. It's a bit like accusing somebody of plagiarism over the way they solved an equation.
Anyhow, it really sucks, I've been in a similar situation (which resolved in the best way possible) and I know how it feels. :/
I have been in contact with the department chair for a few weeks regarding earlier concerns about how the instructor was handling the class. I think the case about there not being sufficient different ways to solve the problem (it wasn't terribly complex) sounds like my best course of action if it isn't worked out some other way.

The strange thing is that that he only penalized my grade and didn't contact me otherwise or give any indication that there would be escalation of the issue or anything. I would also like to know who the other student in the class he said my solution was identical to. As I really only have one friend in the course I talk with regularly.

Obviously I don't know the proper procedures at your school, so take everything I'm about to say with a grain or two of salt.  This is from my experience as an adjunct instructor at three separate universities/colleges, and five years in high schools.

First, if your prof says your solution was identical to another student's, he should be able to provide proof.  I spent many hours making copies of identical papers, and many more hours explaining to students, department chairs, and, at the high school level, parents**.  If he has no proof and still will not change your grade back, this is a separate complaint to take to the department chair.

Second, if the department chair hasn't been as responsive as you would like to your previous complaints, you need to go further up the chain of command, as it were.  It sounds like your concerns were... placated... and possibly not taken seriously--it's hard to say.  Certainly the department chair should respond to your complaint about the "identical" charge if the prof has no copies and no evidence.

At most universities, the next step is to contact the dean of the college.  To go to that level, you need to make sure everything that has happened so far is written out, ideally typed as though it were a lab report or the like.  Your university may have a formal complaint system that you will need to navigate, so please check your student handbook to be certain you're following the proper procedures.

**The worst one was a year and a half ago, when a student turned in a lab report that was literally identical to a report from a previous year's student.  Down to data that matched what the previous year's student had measured, as opposed to what his group had measured.  In that class, the students turned their work in electronically, so it was impressively easy to catch and prove.  Amusingly, this is a student who I had taught nine years earlier at the high school level... and had behavior and general academic problems at that time.  It was sad to see that nine years, including seven in adulthood, had failed to significantly change his attitude toward schooling.  (He received a zero for the lab and ultimately failed.)
I agree that he should have to provide proof. I sent the department chair an email about this before I will bring it up with him, since she seemed very receptive to the complaints that other students and I had several weeks ago. The response to our complaints was for them (some CS faculty and maybe the chair) to have a meeting with the professor discussing things that he needed to change--some major ones were him taking a significant amount of time to grade assignments (last semester with this professor, I turned in an assignment on the third week of class and did not receive it back until after finals), and his lecture not reflecting the material present on assignments and exams. She has asked me to update her about how the class is going since they had the meeting with him.

Another key piece of information is that this professor was only hired last semester. We were informed by the department chair that they have received numerous complaints about him. I am almost certain he doesn't have anything like tenure.

I just sent the chair an email last night when I found out about this, so I'll probably have to wait until Monday to see what she says.

• Pawn
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: March 20, 2016, 12:16:49 pm »
+5

Random stuff seems like a good place to post this-
Please help! I'm relatively new to Dominion but I want to get better than my friends so I came here. Sadly, this is also a first my first time on a forum, so navigation has proved to be quite the challenge.

Is there anywhere I can go to get my bearings?

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: March 20, 2016, 12:33:42 pm »
+1

Please help! I'm relatively new to Dominion but I want to get better than my friends so I came here. Sadly, this is also a first my first time on a forum, so navigation has proved to be quite the challenge.

Welcome!

I'm not sure what your problems with navigation are, but starting at the Home Page and then choosing what looks like the right subforum is probably a good way to start. It sound like Dominion Articles or Dominion General Discussion is what you're interested in. If someone has a link to that "five deck types" article handy this guy could probably use it.

(Also, have you check out The Necro Wars?)
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: March 20, 2016, 01:55:10 pm »

Welcome to Dominion Forums! If you just flat out play the game, you'll pick up little things as you go along. Play long enough, you might even become 1. :)
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: March 20, 2016, 02:30:51 pm »
+1

Welcome!  :)
Don't worry, somebody will direct you to the Forum games shortly.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: March 20, 2016, 02:39:51 pm »
+4

Welcome!  :)
Don't worry, somebody will direct you to the Forum games shortly.

Just to be clear, this is an inside joke on this forum. This forum has many inside jokes. The joke here is that new people get frequently suggested to check out the forum games, found here, and so Accatitippi is joking about this inevitably happening because you are new here. Another inside joke on this forum is the idea that explaining jokes makes them funnier, and that pointing this out also makes them funnier. I have now explained this joke to you, so it is now funnier, as per the previous sentence.

• Pawn
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: March 21, 2016, 10:49:13 am »

Welcome!

I'm not sure what your problems with navigation are, but starting at the Home Page and then choosing what looks like the right subforum is probably a good way to start. It sound like Dominion Articles or Dominion General Discussion is what you're interested in. If someone has a link to that "five deck types" article handy this guy could probably use it.

(Also, have you check out The Necro Wars?)
I don't know what my problems were either, this all seems simple enough. I'm just not very tech-savvy in general.

Thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 123  All

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.